X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2018] Sword Art Online: Alicization Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ソードアート・オンライン アリシゼーション

The third season of the popular show about guys playing virtual MMORPGs with real-life consequences. This season adapts the Alicization arc, which is a really long arc that will last for four cours.

Airs: Saturday, October 6, 2018

Studio: A-1 Pictures

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

"Where...am I...?" Before he knows it, Kirito has made a full-dive into an epic, fantasy-like virtual world. With only a murky recollection of what happened right before he logged in, he starts to wander around, searching for clues.

He comes upon an enormous, pitch dark tree (the Gigas Cedar), where he encounters a boy. "My name is Eugeo. Nice to meet you, Kirito." Although he is supposedly a resident of the virtual world ? an NPC ? the boy shows the same array of emotions as any human being.

As Kirito bonds with Eugeo, he continues to search for a way to log out of this world. Meanwhile, he remembers a certain memory deep down within him. He remembers racing through the mountains with Eugeo as a child... A memory that he should not have in the first place.

And in this memory, he sees someone other than Eugeo, a young blond girl. Her name is Alice. And it is a name that must never be forgotten...

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rimuru, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
    Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Do not enter.

So it begins inside the game world of Underworld where Kirito, Eugeo, and Alice have an adventure that takes them to the forbidden land. Alice happens to enter the place by accident and even though it's just a few fingers, that's enough for her to get marked for execution. And then it's back to the real world where after a round of GGO, Kirito, Asuna, and Sinon have a chat about his latest job working for Rath, and while that's going on, the last member of Laughing Coffin attacks Kirito and injects some kind of drug inside him. That ending was pretty foreboding there, and something big is about to go down, so big that it's going to take four cours worth of episodes to resolve. Pretty good start for this and seeing that this is SAO after all that it's able to get what it needs in order to lay the foundation, and in this case it's an hour-long premiere. I look forward to seeing what comes of all this.
    Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So for some reason, I'm giving Sword Art Online another chance. Why must it always seem so good at the beginning of every season? Surely it has to go to shit eventually, right? I hope I don't regret investing more time into it, but this was probably a dangerous gamble.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Watch out for that tree.

So after everything that happened last time, Kirito ends up inside Underworld where he has memories of the real world unlike with Eugeo. As for Eugeo, he has been hard at work chopping down that demonic tree which is seemingly indestructible, and as strong as Kirito has gotten, that tree isn't just another tree. Pretty much, this is all about Kirito connecting with Eugeo seeing that they will have to have great chemistry if they are going to pull through, all while the line between reality and the virtual world is on display.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Still going well. Which is slightly concerning, because it means I'll probably be watching the entire four-cour season. But it's willing to be a little different, and that makes it a lot more interesting so far. It's definitely making use of the fact that it'll have so many episodes, allowing the setting to really breathe and become realized. And so far, none of the shit that kills SAO's writing. Let's see how long that lasts.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Is this the end?

Kirito should have been more careful about his choice of words, but telling Selka the whole truth prompted her to run off on her own to try and save her. Of course, she's just asking for it by running off there and now Kirito and Eugeo have to go save her, and in doing so they encounter a bunch of goblins. Jus as this season was so full of goblins, here is another show that features these monsters who have the mentality of those from Goblin Slayer rather than That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. Lots of things need to be sorted out here as while Kirito has his sword skills inherited from SAO, he can't use that sword that can cut down that tree Eugeo has been chipping away. In the meantime, they gotta save Selka.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Enough with all the damn goblins this season! At least things are starting to get into the action now, but we'll see if that is handled as creatively as the setting of this season so far. Still pretty enjoyable all around.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

There's a new Goblin Slayer in town.

Kirito made quick work of the goblins, but Eugeo took quite a blow there in trying to fight the leader. But they rescued Selka, and her magic saved his life. And then, he finally came to his own there in cutting down that tree as that sword could only be harnessed to its full potential by Eugeo. That was great to see Eugeo coming to his own there as he finally has complete his rite of passage, and that leads him on the path to becoming a swordsman.

Comment

Episode 5

Where's Kirito?

It took four weeks, but finally it addresses that cliffhanger at the end of the first episode that explains exactly what happened after that encounter with that former Laughing Coffin creep. He had a bout with death as his heart briefly stopped several times, but the girls start to get suspicious when they are prevented from seeing him as he was taken to a "better facility" somewhere abroad. So after doing some poking around, she figures out that Dr. Kojiro has something to do with it, and Asuna disguises herself as her assistant to see Kikuoka as he reeks of suspicion. Seeing that the show was kind of losing it a bit there focusing on Eugeo there, it's good to finally see just what the heck is going on in the real world, and Kirito is at the center of some conspiracy alright. The gears sure did shift in a big way.

Comment

Episode 6

Alice in Murderland.

So the scope of this project is revealed, and the Nervegear fiasco was the first step in achieving the ultimate goal, and that is to make artificial beings capable of killing for the JSDF. While Kikuoka and company may be well-intended, their approach to this was just all sorts of messed up, and Asuna is taking exception to all the crap that has went down. Lots of conflicting feelings are going on here, but it's clear that this is something that only somebody like Kirito can make happen, and to do that Rath has to pull all sorts of shenanigans.

Comment

Episode 7

You call this training?

Time sure has flown by in the game as Kirito is now a formidable swordsman in the game, and he gets a brand new sword from the shop. It all seems well and good, except that Kirito isn't supposed to be training on the day of rest, and while he could spin this many other ways, what he did in brandishing that sword is considered training to a lot of others. Liena sure is a formidable opponent there and a great sparring partner seeing that Kirito has what it takes to be the best. But now, Kirito and Volo are about to engage in a duel, and he's going to be a tough opponent. Pretty nice to get back into the game now that I'm aware of what's going on with this whole project.

Comment

Episode 8

Cutting down the competition.

Kirito was up against a formidable foe in Volo, but he manage to score a hit with his evolved sword, and while it ended in a draw, that fight told Liena exactly what she needed to do and defeats Volo to graduate at the top of the class. That nice to see that guy getting schooled as Kirito has taken the next step to find Alice. Kirito has made some great friends who figure to be useful when they make that journey.

Comment

Episode 9

Stay cool, my friend.

Eugeo gets some focus here as he is approached by Tiese, whose friend Frenica is being asked to do some really bad things thanks to Humbert and Raion. So it's Eugeo's task to get those two guys investigated, but that's not going to be easy. Pretty weak and underwhelming episode that was, but I'm hopeful that this will lead to greater development for Eugeo as he certainly is going to need it.

Comment

Episode 10

They fought the law, and the law lost.

That just left me speechless bringing back memories of that time when Sugou was raping Asuna back in ALO, but this was done so much better as Raios and Humbert got what was coming to them. The Taboo Index might have allowed them to get away with raping those tied-up girls, but Kirito and Eugeo aren't tied down to some egregiously broken law. Pretty intense that was that this episode had that disclaimer at the beginning, if not for the raping scenes, the part where those two get their arms cut off and spilling a lot of blood. Poor Tiese and Ronie had to go through those horrors, but it's a good things that Kirito and Eugeo are willing to do whatever it takes to do the right thing, even if the law forbids it.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X