X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2018] Iroduku: The World in Colors Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    色づく世界の明日から

A coming of age story about a colorblind girl from a bloodline of witches who is sent 60 years into the past to grow her character.

Airs: Friday, October 5, 2018

Studio: P.A. Works

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

Set in the city of Nagasaki, the story takes place in a world where a miniscule amount of magic remains in everyday life. Hitomi Tsukishiro is a 17-year-old descendant of a witch family who grew up with stale emotions, as she lost her sense of color at a very young age. Feeling sorry for her granddaughter's future, Kohaku, a great witch, sends Hitomi to past, the year 2018. Through exchanges with her 17-year-old grandmother and her club members, the story follows Hitomi's growth as a person.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rimuru, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
    Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

The world is not black and white.

So it begins with Hitomi watching the fireworks in Nagasaki, but sadly not in all its colorful glory as she became colorblind at an early age. And that prompts Kohaku to send her back to the past where she meets her teenager self. Seeing that she's not of this world that it was scary to see all this going down, but she's surrounded by really nice people who help her fit in. And then Sho's drawing comes to life there at the end. P.A. Works is at the top of their game once again as they are known for paying great attention to color, which is a theme of this show as I especially like the use of colorblind mode. Should be great to see just how Hitomi grows through this adventure.

So with that, the usual trial procedure applies, but it's pretty close to being locked in. Even if the story ends up disappointing, the eye candy is simply too good to pass up.
    Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Very interesting premise. The plot definitely kicked off without much setup, which was maybe a bit too much a bit too early, but once it started taking its time, it seemed to have a decent story to tell. We'll see where this actually leads, since there's still no real indication of what the driving points of the show will be. The cinematography and effects are well-utilized to enhance the visuals throughout, making it a pleasant series to look at.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Do you believe in magic?

As Hitomi briefly saw color through Yuito's drawings, she's being tasked to learn magic seeing that it's the only way she can make it back to her time. Of course, that's not going to be easy seeing that she's not exactly embracing it as she's traumatized by it. Hitomi ends up making friends with a bunch of people who are in their 70's in Hitomi's original timeline if they are still alive, and they are really encouraging her to take up magic again, none more so than Yuito. There's just so much intrigue going on here as Hitomi is at a crossroads in life. Still too early to determine if the story is going the good route with Nagi no Asukara or the bad route with Glasslip, but no matter what happens P.A. Works has certainly outdid themselves with the animation, and the strategic use of the colorblind mode as that's what Hitomi is.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

This is definitely one of the new shows this season that's solidly on my list rather than just being watchable like most of them. Still very nice-looking, and I think, through its character writing in particular, it will be able to tell a story that, while maybe not quite as beautiful as its aesthetic, can do the visuals some level of justice.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Do you believe that you can walk on water?

Once again, Hitomi's colorblindness has caused her problems as she grabbed the wrong vial to do that trick where she walks over water, and as punishment entering the swimming pool, the photography club has to clean it. But even though she's failing, she's learning more and more, as well as developing friendships in ways she never thought possible. Pretty nice to see Hitomi growing out of her comfort zone and blending in with everybody as she joins the club.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

A nice cap to this little arc of Hitomi becoming comfortable enough to join the club. Looks like we'll get some quality time between her and her grandma next time, which should definitely be fun to see.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

All aboard the Magic Photography Arts Club Express.

The cat's now out of the bag as Kohaku inadvertently revealed to the clubmates that Hitomi is her granddaughter from the future, but it's a great thing that she has such great friends who treats her just like any other girl at school and that they can trust them to keep it all a secret between them. While Kohaku is her grandmother, it just feels awkward that she calls the younger version of herself granny. It's no wonder why Kohaku is a great mage in the future as she can travel to England and make trains appear at her age. Once again, all of that was just beautiful.

Comment

Episode 5

Magic made easy.

So after everything that happened, Hitomi is inspired to take up magic, and she did pretty well for her first serious attempt with that blue sand that she gave to Yuito. Of course, that's technically cheating as she used some premium quality ingredients to make it that Kohaku got chewed out for, but nevertheless anything that will get her to advance her skills as a mage is a big win. Once again, that was beautiful going to show just how much of an impact colors can make seeing that Hitomi can't see any of it.

Comment

Episode 6

Go fish, young magician.

Just when it looked like things were going well, and that photo shoot was just another good time to be had, all of the sudden Hitomi is transported into the world of the painting to follow that golden fish that she's attached to. And that traumatic experience is a reminder of why Hitomi wanted nothing to do with magic. Not to mention, things got ominous there at the end when Hitomi ends up getting soaked in the rain after meeting up with Yuito at the shop. So there are painful memories involved, but it looks like there's some great danger involved with using magic that Kohaku doesn't seem to be fazed by. And then that ending there, Hitomi can see colors now, though to what extent remains to be seen.

Comment

Episode 7

A picture perfect career plan.

This episode focuses on Kurumi as she's so passionate about photography and looks up to her big sister. She knows exactly where she wants to go for college. While that's happening, Hitomi and company are out at camp, and then they miss the boat there leading to all sorts of awkward moments there. But nevertheless, it's all good seeing that I didn't know enough about Kurumi until this episode. That said, Hitomi has something big to announce there at the end, and it will be interesting to see what exactly that is and whatever she is about to say, tough times are coming from it.

Comment

Episode 8

Seeing things from a different perspective.

This episode is a reality check as Hitomi is not seeing colors again, all while Kohaku is learning that her magic has limitations. First with that revived rose that wilted shortly thereafter, and that camera that was broken and worked briefly before needing more repairs. And then Hitomi took pictures in black and white showing her clubmates what her world is like. That said, the big thing is that Hitomi might not even want to return to the future as she's definitely enjoying her time even if it hasn't been easy. Pretty nice to see that everybody is getting along so well, especially now that they have a glimpse of Hitomi's world as she sees it.

Comment

Episode 9

Love will make him wanna shout.

And just like that, some romantic drama that starts off with Sho proposing to Hitomi, who was caught off-guard and ends up running away. It's not a good thing to make such a confession out of the blue, especially knowing that this girl is from the future where it just wouldn't be possible to have a relationship. But Hitomi should have been up front with Sho, and she fixes that problem. And then there's Asagi who is in love with Sho as the two are childhood friends, but Asagi is just too chicken. At least things were settled well between Hitomi and Sho, and that shout there was really something. On the other hand, Asagi is just doing everything wrong. Things sure are starting to get tense after all that.

Comment

Episode 10

Let there be color.

It's about time it got to the root cause of Hitomi hating magic, and that's because her mother, and Kohaku's daughter-to-be, is the first person in the family who can't use magic. The truth was found out in rather exquisite fashion there going into the world of the painting through Kohaku's magic. Those kids sure were enjoying themselves there, and seeing that this is the first time everybody is seeing the same thing together that it's a time for that. But then seeing little Hitomi struggling and becoming anxiety-ridden, that was a pretty depressing scene. Now that the truth is out about why Hitomi despises magic so much, it will be interesting to see what comes of that.

Comment

Episode 11

All good things must come to an end.

Just when everything seems to be all well and good, all of the sudden the magic is waning, and Hitomi must return to the future soon or else she will remain trapped in the time gap. And that means everybody is scrambling to make sure Hitomi makes it back, from Kohaku getting instructions from England to everybody gathering the sand required to cast that spell, all while everybody is preparing for the culture festival, and Hitomi saying her personal goodbye and love confession to Yuito using that paper airplane to find him. Pretty dramatic change in mood there as just when it looked like Hitomi could end up living in the past, reality hits as things will go haywire if she doesn't get back soon.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X