X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2018] Conception Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    コンセプション

A show based off a little-known video game about a bunch of girls tasked with saving the world as humanity's last hope, and a guy who leads them.

Airs: Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Studio: Gonzo

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

On his high school graduation day, Itsuki's cousin, Mahiru, tells him that she's pregnant. Just then, a gate of light emerges and transports the two into the world of Granvania. In this land, "Impurities" have been causing a disturbance to the Stars, ultimately plunging Granvania into chaos and disorder. And Itsuki, now revealed to be one who is fated to meet with the "Star Maidens", is seen as Granvania's last hope and was thus given the task to produce "Star Children" and combat the "impurities". And unless the task is complete, Itsuki may never be able to return home.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Watching: Forest of Piano, Seraph of the End, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Pregnant without a purpose.

So it begins with Mahiru getting pregnant even though she apparently doesn't know who the father is, and then the two cousins get transported into an alternate world where they are tasked with saving it and meet the 12 star maidens. They were just dragged into this mess, and expected to do the improbable just like that. Well, this is an early candidate for worst show of the season as coming in, I had low expectations seeing that it is adapted from a video game that wasn't even good to begin with, all while Gonzo continues to struggle as they have turned in yet another bust.

Anyway, I'll give it another episode or two, but this is an easy drop if it continues down the path I expect it to take after seeing this.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Watching: Forest of Piano, Seraph of the End, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Episode 1

Pregnant without a purpose.

So it begins with Mahiru getting pregnant even though she apparently doesn't know who the father is, and then the two cousins get transported into an alternate world where they are tasked with saving it and meet the 12 star maidens. They were just dragged into this mess, and expected to do the improbable just like that. Well, this is an early candidate for worst show of the season as coming in, I had low expectations seeing that it is adapted from a video game that wasn't even good to begin with, all while Gonzo continues to struggle as they have turned in yet another bust.

Anyway, I'll give it another episode or two, but this is an easy drop if it continues down the path I expect it to take after seeing this.
      Re: Episode 1

Well, not quite the accurate description of Mahiru's plight. The reason she doesn't know who the father might be is simple: She's never had sex. It does get explained in this episode.

Worst anime of the season nominee? It could very well be the case. As someone who enjoys ecchi shows that are good shows, this isn't looking too promising. Now, this could be a show where ecchi sequences get edited out. This has been done before and could result in some interesting events on Blu Ray (the swarming of the obnoxious racoons in a scene near the end might be a sign of this happening).

But a good ecchi show is the same as any other good show; it has to be good. I've seen ecchi shows mangled by censorship (Qwaser of Stignata comes to mind, especially the onsen episode), to the point of their broadcast versions being unwatchable. I've seen shows which have been censored hide surprisingly ecchi sequences (Recently My Sister Is Unusual is a good example). But the censorship and'/or added scenes for the uncensored versions were not make or break points as to whether a show was good or not. Such additions only enhance a good show; they don't make a bad show good.

Right now, the animation of the "monster" was remarkably lame. There's not much plot here (there might be PLOT, but not yet). And the racoon (tanuki?) is freaking annoying as hell.

This is a show with an interesting premise. This isn't the first time I've seen a show start off with a very weak episode and turn into something promising, Hybrid x Heart is a good example. Indeed, both shows have a similar premise: Ecchi actions are needed to save the world. HXH had a weak start, but quickly overcame it, being a surprisingly good show. I doubt that will happen here. It looks like we're going to see a "conception of the week" format, and if that proves the case, this series isn't going to have time for any significant character development. Also, I don't know what the regular OP of this show is going to be, but the OP for this episode screamed out the need for a big James Bond number. Shows based on games often have a problem with character depth and this looks to be in keeping with that problem.

So, I'll be watching, but outlook? Dubious.
      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine
      Working...
      X