X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2018] Zombie Land Saga Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ゾンビランドサガ

A show about zombie girls becoming idols.

Airs: Thursday, October 4, 2018

Studio: MAPPA

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

A typical morning. The usual music. Their normal lives. The peace these seven girls experience will suddenly be destroyed. By the living dead... zombies. A reality that they never wanted a part of, an amazing and terrifying zombie world. They all share one wish: "We want to live." These girls will struggle through this saga, in order to achieve a miracle.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 10-29-2018, 05:23 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Watching: MHA season 2, Testament SND Burst, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, TOA-I3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, BIY, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Is this girl a zombie?

Nothing was given away about this show coming in, and as it turns out it was totally weird as a producer is making idols out of zombie girls who have died and were brought back to life as zombies. He has quite a tough task at hand seeing that teaching these girls how to sing and dance is tough enough for normal humans, much less zombies, and somehow Sakura is in control of herself while the others are just walking aimlessly. That first concert was just all sorts of weird with the girls just headbanging while Sakura is screeching. I don't know what to make of this show so far, but it could be worthwhile for the concept.

So as usual, the trial period rules apply, and I'll give it a few more episodes before deciding what to do with this.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, TOA-I3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, BIY, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Well, that escalated quickly. When from a cutesy show into a dark real quick. And the death metal opening is fantastic. The ED song is meh and doesn't fit with the rest of the show.
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 2

Ain't that hip?

And this show continues to totally not attempt to make any sense as these girls just continues to act wild like the zombies they are. That concert in front of a bunch of older men there was another crazy showcase there with one girl coming apart, and Tae singing some really lame lyrics there. And then when some rappers meet up with the zombie girls, things really get out of whack. While this show continues to not make sense, it's funny because of that.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

While the first episode is good, the second is even better due to more characters being awake. Also, the change in perspective just goes to show how mean we humans are to poor zombies. Also random rap battle.....
          "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
          Avatar: Princess Rei of SaGa Frontier

Comment

Episode 3

Guerilla warfare: Idol style.

And now, the zombie girls are going to perform a guerrilla concert, which not everybody is on-board with seeing that Ai and Junko decided to sit out this concert. Practice was quite taxing on the girls, and then the concert goes wrong when Lily stumbles. But in the end, Ai and Junko joined in, and they got some followers. But of course, it's a guerrilla concert, meaning that the police would be after them. This show just continues to be so wild and messed up here that it makes for some great moments there.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode before deciding what to do with this show as in this loaded season, I will have to bid farewell to something I am dying to watch, no pun intended.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

I guess I haven't said anything about this show yet. It's one of the SEVEN series that are right on the edge of my threshold but still above it enough to stay on. 99% because of Miyano. That character is so perfect for him.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                Episode 3

Guerilla warfare: Idol style.
                So Zombie Land Saga has been the big (Nice.) surprise of the season for me so far. It is not perfect, but it has definitely gotten my attention...And guesses.

First, the bad:

1. I am not a fan of undead lolis, At least it works in the context of the series.

2. More seriously, there is a fine line between a 'loveable jerk who entertains you' and a 'complete jerk that you dislike in every way,' and Kotaro has moved well into the 'complete jerk' side. I know that the role seemed geared to letting Mamoru Miyano display his range in a single character, and I appreciate his performance. But Kotaro as a character, has been on a straight road to being a colossal jerk since the beginning, and bipolar displays have not helped. A particularly grating moment was his calling out of Ai and Junko in Episode 3 which, had it come from any other character, might have been moving and positive. Instead, Kotaro came off as a milder version of a killer who murdered a kid's parents and is now telling the kid to stop moping. It just does not work and coming from the man who supposedly raised Ai and Junk from the grave, sounds insulting as the final cherry on top.

I should also mention that for all his efforts, he is obviously, grossly incompetent in most fields. With the exceptions of movie make-up, cosmetology, and necromancy, he appears to have all the skills and ability that comes from reading a bad Wikipedia article on the idol industry and playing an idol raising simulator. It is small wonder that he leaves the group to train themselves - he hit his limit earlier training Sakura and can not do anymore. Nor is he a good manager, except for the hectoring part.

But having said all of that....Zombie Land Saga is fantastic. Horror in general, and zombie or undead premises in particularly, bores me, but I greatly enjoyed the series so far. The absurd contrasts of an idol anime and a horror comedy works - it has a spark that makes me want to watch each episode. Saga is one of those stories that work by not telling or showing the details of how it works, because there is no way to maintain the sheer absurdity of the premise if you did. Yet that absurdity is what makes an audience not care too much about the details. It does not take itself too seriously, which makes it easier to watch and enjoy.

Besides, any show where you will be laughing at the absurdity within the first TWO MINUTES of it, has to be doing something worthwhile.

And the guesses:

Spoiler ->1. I would not be surprised if it came out later that Kotaro was the one who killed at least several of the girls. It would explain why Sakura, an aspiring want-to-be idol who had nothing to draw attention to her, is part of the group.

2. I have to wonder if Sakura is actually dead. It is interesting that she is the only zombie shown so far to having a pain reaction like a normal person - in other zombies there has been no reaction or it was never shown when it would have been reasonably expected. Also note that Sakura is the only girl who does not have any personal information mentioned by the website - even Tae has an age listed.

Regards,

C.T.
                You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Episode 4

Zombies and hot springs don't mix.

It's off to Ureshino for the next performance at the hot springs ryokan where the girls perform in front of lots of grown men and women in the audience. And then they take a dip in their hot springs at a time when everybody else is supposed to be asleep. But one lady decides to take a late-night dip and while the girls are hiding, Sakura's head comes off causing a huge scare and to keep her from remembering that she saw zombies, they scare the heck out of her, and it worked as the shock made her forget. Just another crazy episode going to show how much of an insane idea that is making these zombies into idols, but they have quite a lot of work to do.

So with that, the trial period is over, and it's a borderline show that I'm having a hard time deciding on. So it will at least get an extended trial period as there are things I like, but with the number of great shows this season that I'll be hard-pressed to find room.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

I think this might've bumped just under the threshold. Miyano character is still an absolute riot, but he's not on screen quite enough to justify the rest of the series which is decent for a zombie idol show but occasionally falls into the tropes of its own targets of satire too much to stay funny throughout. Obviously its premise keeps it from going down the zombie formula very far, but when it does basically turn into an idol show, it's pretty boring, and the CG dancing isn't the most jarring, but the lack of lip syncing definitely hurts it.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

No chickening out this time.

Even when the chicken is not real, Tae goes after it like crazy. These girls are looking for big publicity, this time doing a commercial shoot for a yakitori restaurant, and then doing mud sports where the girls absolutely stink, in more ways than one, but they bring home the gold thanks to Tae. Pretty funny to see these guys getting all dirty with mud and everything going to show that it's not going to be easy to get these girls the publicity they need.

Comment

Episode 6

It ain't easy becoming an idol.

And now, the show is starting to explain how each of the idols died as all this time, only Sakura's death was shows. Here, Junko was an aspiring idol who died in a plane crash on her way to her debut, and Ai was struck by lightning during a live performance outside in a nasty storm. Pretty interesting stuff there, and I have to think that these girls are back from the dead because they wanted to have an idol career that didn't happen because they died too soon.

So with that, the extended trial period is over, and while this had been on the chopping block, after watching this episode it's getting harder to cut. Nevertheless, I am not making a decision on this show at this moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                          Episode 6

It ain't easy becoming an idol."
                          Seriously, after watching Episode 6, I was thinking 'You know, the studio is doing a great job setting up in a later episode a repeat of the ending from Unbreakable.' All the pieces are starting to fall right into place. It also explains a lot why THESE particular individuals came back.

Kotaro is now a certifiable jerk/abusive spouse type. He does not need to be hit by a baguette by Ai or a baseball from Saki - a close encounter with a two by four or a christening with a wine bottle would be more appropriate. The character really grates on me...As well as strengthening my opinion on his actual role.

Also, Kotaro has really lousy judgment, since some of the members of Franchouchou were going to be IDed before very long. The only surprise was who's ID got made first.

I was wrong about Sakura, given that the series has been playing games with her details, but I still wonder if someone at the studio had watched past episodes of Newhart.

Still, all in all, Zombie Land Saga is developing into a solid idol show, which has advantages and disadvantages. I was not keen on Episode 4, but Episodes 5 and 6 have been solid and downright entertaining. I am keeping this series on my watch list.

Regards,

C.T.

You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Episode 7

Charge!

Just when it looked like that performance was going to be a disaster with the rain and lightning, these girls pulled it off, and they put on their best performance after everybody was struck by lightning as after all, they are zombies. That just gave them synthesized voices that made them stand out. Quite a nice turnaround that was, and in the end their idol group is finally getting recognition.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X