Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 10

It's a story about young people's relationships to their parents, not only for Nodoka and Mai but for Sakuta and Kaede as well. It's a story about Mai's greatest performance to date, which she pulls off as flawlessly as any of those with much lesser stakes. And most importantly, it's a story about a beautifully well-realized inferiority complex that goes to the point of wishing to switch places and seeing that it's not even that easy, only making it worse. "Even she can be me better than I can." And yet, it goes both ways. It's not even a body swap, exactly. Another wonderful short arc.
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 11

Gotta take that first step.

And now, it's onto Kaede as her problem is that she suffers from sudden injuries whenever stress and anxiety flares up. As such, she has been living a sheltered life at home, and she's trying to change all that. It took quite a lot out of her just to make it outside home, but she finally did make it. However, the real test has yet to come. It will be interesting to see who this Kotomi person is aside from the fact that she's Kaede's friend from school that she doesn't remember, and how Kaede is going to put this problem behind her just like with what everybody has experienced.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
      Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 11

This was the first time in the series that my enthusiasm took a slight dip, but since it's just been skyrocketing until now, it basically just set it back to the point it was at two episodes ago. It was probably just a combination of not loving Kaede quite as much from the outset and the fact that it takes quite a while for them to really get into the plot of this arc. Since this one has to last the rest of the series, I have to have faith that it will really blow me away with its resolution.

On the bright side of the content not quite focused on the arc at hand, Sakuta and Mai are incredibly adorable as a couple. It's also interesting to see the Shoko plot continue to be integrated into other arcs of the series, even if it hasn't amounted to much yet. We don't even meet Shoko-san. I'm definitely curious about how the story of Shoko-san and Shoko-chan will significantly differ from the double Futaba. Of course, they're different ages, but it still seems like it could have a lot of overlap. I'm not too worried, though. My local theater is getting I Want to Eat Your Pancreas, so I'm hopeful that Aniplex will get the movie for this series here not too long after it's Japanese release.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 11

Mai-san for Waifu has to be off the charts in Japan right now.

Meanwhile, bombshell incoming.

Oh, sure, she was tops before this episode, but she keeps getting better all the time, and with the press conference and her treatment of Kaede, understanding about Shoko-san, well, the girl's waifu status has to now be officially in orbit.

Things went surprisingly smooth for the boyfriend/girlfriend status issue, and was inspirational for Kaede. A letter is dropped off for Sakuta from Shoko-san, his mystery girl of the past who helped him get through his own Puberty syndrome. But while leaving school to meet Shoko-san, he's stopped by an old school/childhood friend of Kaede's. We never do get to meet Shoko-san, but we see that Sakuta's well satisfied with his present lot in life.

This is another fun episode, though on the slow side as we get some more info on Kaede, witnessing her difficulties in dealing with life outside their house, with both illness and mysterious injuries that had been previously alluded to making their appearances. But step by step, Kaede finally makes it outside, and even to the beach. But it is a chance encounter with the past childhood friend that results in the ending bombshell revelation from Sakuta: Kaede has no memories.

And with that, we have to wait another week to find out more. Clearly she remembers her brother. Clearly she remembers the people she's met since we've been watching this show. But how extensive this memory loss was, we'll have to wait to find out. However, it does explain why Sakuta's been extremely protective of Kaede, with zero attempt to rush her outside. He totally has been letting Kaede set the pace, encouraging but not pushing at all, which seemed contrary to his personality.

This great show remains an exceptional enjoyment.
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 12

How quickly she forgets.

Kaede's problems are really complex here as her syndrome all started through cyber bullying going to show just how dangerous social media can be. All this leads her to not only experiencing sudden bruises, but to forget stuff just like the ending there where after a trip to the zoo and the school at night, she doesn't remember any of that happening. Pretty emotional that got there with Sakuta taking Kaede places going to show that she just needs to believe that she should be living for the many, not the few. One more episode left as it's back to the drawing board after all the progress that was made suddenly vanished.
            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 12

This one was a slight improvement, but still not the best the series has been. Leading into the finale, though, there's a lot of potential with the resolution to Kaede's story facing its greatest challenge yet with Kaede-san returning to overtake the Kaede that Sakuta has been building a relationship with all this time. Similar to Futaba in some ways (although it sounds a bit more like Shoko, with the distinction between the original, more mature "-san" and the more recent, more childlike version), the ideal outcome is naturally for the two Kaedes to coexist and become one, more complete person. The difference this time is that they're in the same body already, but that just makes it more complicated, as there's no way to access the Kaede who has been working to try to reintegrate into society, much like there wasn't a way to access the Kaede-san that had ceased to exist all this time. While the newer Kaede is the one we have a relationship with, the original is definitely in a sympathetic situation. She was suppressed due to the trauma of severe bullying, and now she returns as if no time has passed at all, with all the confusion and distress such a phenomenon would cause. It's a lot to wrap up in an episode, but not for this show.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 12

Well, I think we all saw this coming once the flag was raised. There's still a great deal we don't know here, but we get a rundown as Sakuta explains to Mai and Nodoka the history of Kaede losing her memory. And that the apparent price for regaining her lost memory is to lose the memories she's had since she lost them the first time. There's a lot to cover in the remaining episode, but this series has done it before.
                My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Episode 13 (Finale)

She gave everything, including sadness.

So it ends with a grown-up Shoko (I have to believe that's her supernatural condition that will be what the upcoming movie is going to be about) coming to Sakuta's rescue after Kaede's sudden amnesia had him drowning in despair. Shoko had to drill it into his head by reading her diary letting him know that Kaede put a lot of effort into her life because of him. So while things were all squared away with Kaede, at least until she goes to school as she wants, not so much with Mai as she left for Kanazawa for a film shoot. While he shouldn't have had any reason to follow her, it was her birthday. So while they patched things up there, they haven't kissed, and it's probably too soon for that, anyway. The ending just felt underwhelming as it rushed to put a close to Kaede's problem, but it does drive home the point that while the girls have grown up, Sakuta himself needs to do that. It's onto the movie as while the TV series is over, there are still more girls that need to be helped out.

Overall, this show does just about everything right with the storytelling. It's straightforward and while it's fast-paced, it works for a show like this as it means little time for sidetracks that would have been out-of-place and interrupted the flow of the story. But above all, the characters are what make this show great as they are all lovable and great people who just needed to tackle their inner demons. The supernatural aspect is well-utilized as that made this show really stand out. Just about the only gripe I had with this show is the way the last character arc was handled as it felt the fast pace wasn't the right call. In all, it's one of the best shows of the season in large part because of it's strong storytelling.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Re: Episode 13 (Finale)

Huh, not much of a resolution to the Kaede arc after all. Not much has changed from the point where the previous episode ended, as this was ultimately more about Sakuta and Mai, which is appropriate enough. At least Kaede-san is starting to learn about Kaede through her diary and accepting her into herself, but it's definitely not like the Puberty Syndrome resolutions we've gotten until now. It didn't detract from my opinion of the series overall, but I was hoping it would propel it past the heights it had already achieved. Unfortunately, I think the Kaede arc was the only real step down over the course of the series, and as such I like it a little less now than I did at the end of the Nodoka arc. Of course, it's not really over, because we still have the movie that all of the Shoko material has been leading into. Since they've been mixing the arcs together a bit more, perhaps that will also include some progression on the Kaede situation. If so, maybe the series isn't even complete without that piece. Fingers crossed hard that Aniplex does a theatrical run and my local theater gets it. Chances are honestly pretty good, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high. I suppose that happened about this very series as it went on.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 13 (Finale)

A nice pause to a great series.

This episode packs a lot in, but never feels bloated. It also didn't feel rushed to me. However, we really don't get a full ending, largely because of the unanswered questions that remain, and the fact that there's a movie coming that will follow-up on the largest unresolved issue of the series, Shoko.

As anyone who's watched the series realized, Kaede woke up, regaining her lost memories, but in the process, losing the memories she'd gained over the last 2 years. Sakuta is absolutely devastated, to the point that the weird claw slash on his chest opens up again, after he flees the hospital in the rain. Only for Shoko to literally appear out of nowhere, take him home run his bath, read him Kaede's diary which showed how much she cared for him, and that even if that Kaede vanished, she wanted to leave Sakuta good memories of his sis. Shoko vanishes the next morning, but her comfort helped Sakuta get it together. We even have him with Futaba, with her wondering whether Shoko is a fantasy induced by Sakuta.

Mai arrives the next day, but seeing the note Shoko left, immediately turns around and leaves, to the great distress of Sakuta. Bummed out, he turns into someone even klutzier than Tomoe at work. Where, appearing as he leaves, is Nodoka, who is there supporting her sister, and is shocked that Sakuta was unaware of the public fact that it was Mai's birthday. Finally kicking into action, Sakuta blows his money on a bullet train ride and just makes it to be with Mai on her birthday. Mai had wanted to be the one to comfort Sakuta and didn't take it well when she wasn't, but all's well that ends well for the two of them.

Each ED so far has featured the main girl of the arc singing; This time we get all the girls singing it, a nice touch.

This show's proper range is in the "A" category. I can see those who say A-, and those who say A+, even a weak A+. I give it an "A". There's just a few too many loose ends to merit an A+, and the Kaede arc's ending was a bit weak. I agree with the final episode, the bulk of it, being the weakest of the series, but that weakness, the unresolved issues don't undermine it enough to move it off of the "A" spot for me.

This is a highly recommended series, easily one of the best of both the season and the year.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X