Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 5

I definitely relate to Tomoe's insecurities, probably more than anyone else's in the series that we know about so far. It's a little more extreme with her, but it makes sense given the vulnerable position she's in that can so easily shift into making her the target of bullying. Mai is certainly the female lead, the best match for Sakuta, and even the best girl despite my stronger empathy for Tomoe. But I am really happy with how Sakuta is helping Tomoe through her crisis. Of course, it follows a lot of tired tropes of the protagonist solving the problems of every member of the female cast that invariably forms something of a harem around him, but it's absolutely more tastefully done than the many examples that fall on that formula more lazily. I love his confrontation with the douchebags. Sure, in real life the jocks would've all ganged up on him and beat the shit out of him, but I can appreciate this little fantasy.

Maybe it's just because Touyama has such a distinctive voice, but I found some of the similarities to some of her biggest roles amusing, like sharing some of Yui's characteristics (appropriate given the various similarities to Oregairu in this series anyway) and Chitoge's "fake love" plot.
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 6

Doing it all over again.

The time loop syndrome happens again as Sakuta is living the day before summer break over and over again, and in order to break the loop, he had to convince Tomoe to be just a friend and not her romantic interest as he is already set with Mai. Going to the beach just wasn't cutting it, so on the fourth repeat they go dating elsewhere. Tomoe was just way too forceful and thought that hings would go as she drew it, but that couldn't be any further from the truth. Sakuta came through again, and that was a good reward there to relive that time period again, this time knowing exactly what to do. Great development that was.

Next time, it will be Futaba that will be the girl of interest while that girl Shoko there at the end, she is going to be the girl of focus in the upcoming film.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rimuru, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
      Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        Episode 6

Doing it all over again.

The time loop syndrome happens again as Sakuta is living the day before summer break over and over again, and in order to break the loop, he had to convince Tomoe to be just a friend and not her romantic interest as he is already set with Mai. Going to the beach just wasn't cutting it, so on the fourth repeat they go dating elsewhere. Tomoe was just way too forceful and thought that hings would go as she drew it, but that couldn't be any further from the truth. Sakuta came through again, and that was a good reward there to relive that time period again, this time knowing exactly what to do. Great development that was.

Next time, it will be Futaba that will be the girl of interest while that girl Shoko there at the end, she is going to be the girl of focus in the upcoming film.
        Not the Endless Eight.

Let's do the time warp again!

For those who've not heard of it, the Endless Eight is part of the 2nd season of the brilliant Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series (and boy, I could use some more of that show!), in which 8 episodes are devoted to reliving the same time period, summer break, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. As a former film student, I truly appreciate the mastery of it, as not one single part was reused in telling that repetition; it was original angles and "shots" for every episode. And as a fan of the show, I appreciate it, as it truly does feed into the movie, "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya." It really does provide a level of understanding of what it must have been like for Yuki. If it's a slog to watch 8 episodes of the same material, imagine reliving those same weeks over 15,500 times.

But it's still a slog.

But we get things wrapped up very nicely in the end, and finally get to see the face of the mysterious girl who inspired Sakuta at a time when he needed it.

Just another really good episode, and another satisfying arc, though not as good as the first. I'm looking forward to the rest of this season.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

Totally agree about Endless Eight. It's really rough to get through (especially since I make myself do it every time I watch the series, which has been at least four times so far), but I love the concept of giving each director their own take on the material, forcing the viewer to either passively suffer through eight episodes of seemingly pure repetition or take in all the nuances that go into creating a story in this medium.

That said, I'll happily take this version of that any day. A basically perfect finale to another excellent arc. I really hope it can keep this up, because it's already entered A- territory.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 7

One mind, two bodies.

So the next girl with supernatural issues is Futaba as there's a clone of her on the loose, and while they have separate bodies, they share the same consciousness as Sakuta would find out when he called Futaba and saw the other running around, but well aware that he had just called him. And that Shoko person introduced at the end of the previous episode is the childhood friend that Sakuta isn't convinced that she's the same person. Quite a lot of mysteries going on here as everybody realizes that something is up. It will be interesting to see Sakuta deals with this problem regarding Futaba.
            Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
            Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Although Futaba is clearly the focus here, it's very interesting to see them work in the Shoko situation this early on. I wonder how much that will be explored before the movie. I really hope Crunchyroll can get that earlier than the full wait for Aniplex to release the full series and then the movie after the Japanese releases.

As for Futaba, the lack of any real explanation so far makes this especially intriguing. The question still remains of which is the "real" Futaba, although the Futaba at school certainly seems more like a "fake" one. But it feels more likely to me that it's not so straightforward; I could certainly see this being a case of the self that Futaba keeps hidden away separating from her as a second Futaba. That would of course mean that the Futaba staying at Sakuta's house is the pure embodiment of the public-facing facets of Futaba, while her attraction to Kunimi and inner desires to be a popular girl who he would notice manifests as this new version of her that we see. For it to even go so far as to lead her to publicly post provocative photos of the body that her shyness caused her to hide behind a lab coat whenever possible. I'm sure there will be more surprises, but if I'm going to theorize, that's the most probable outcome I can see at the moment.

Another masterpiece, for sure.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 7

"Futaba bathwater broth."

And with this episode, we watch the hentai doujinshi world explode into action.

While all the action and speculation is going to be on Futaba, and deservedly so, we have a number of issues coming to a head, with Mai's manager shocked that she has a boyfriend, and Mai wanting to discuss something with Sakuta when he gets back, plus the Shoko mystery, of course, this arc seems to be juggling more balls than the past 2, which kinda makes sense as we're progressing through this. We also still have the blonde girl from the OP's arc to go through, so more juggling ahead.

This just remains a great show, and one I look forward to each week.
                My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Episode 8

Two's a crowd.

Futaba was just feeling miserable there, but Sakuta's persistence paid off in a big way. All it took was a phone call to Kunimi letting him know that she wants to watch the fireworks with him, and the Futaba clone has vanished. But getting there was quite hazardous as Sakuta ventured out in the middle of a typhoon and ends up in the hospital. Nevertheless, that was a great way to resolve Futaba's insecurities as backing out on social media and getting her to realize how important her relationship with Kunimi is was the key. And now, it looks like Kaede is the next girl Sakuta is dealing with.

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Oh, they actually completely this one in only two episodes. No less powerful for it; if anything, it's just even more impressive that they managed to fit so much content into an even shorter period of time, especially with much of the previous episode also dealing with Shoko. At this rate, they can knock out even more stories than I anticipated, and with this level of quality (and progression of quality), I'm really excited to think about how amazing a series it will turn out to be once all 13 episodes have completed.

As for the circumstances surrounding Futaba's split, I was mostly right; the only thing I didn't quite see coming was that Futaba had started posting lewd pictures of herself online before the split occurred. That makes sense; it establishes the actions of each individual Futaba as within the bounds of what the original Futaba would've realistically done because, as it turns out, she already was. And the split being caused by her inner conflict about how to express herself literally reaching a breaking point fits perfectly.

Sometimes you don't everyone to accept every aspect of you; you just need to accept various aspects of yourself, even if they appear to conflict with each other. That's what makes us complex humans. This series uses simple concepts but symbolizes them deftly and speaks to them profoundly. Then the initial simplicity only makes the execution more effective, as it means each story works on a universal truth that anyone can empathize with.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 9

Switching places.

And now, the syndrome is what Kokoro Connect started off with as Mai and Nodoka have swapped bodies. These co-workers are now having to do the other girl's work, and it's already tough enough having these packed schedules in the entertainment industry, but having to fill in for each other, even more so. While Mai has handled it well, not so much with Nodoka as she got dizzy during a filming segment seeing that her talent deficiency in Mai's role is much greater Mai's in Nodoka's role. And thus, a serious problem has arisen, and it will be tough to figure things out.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

Without a doubt, this is the second best thing airing, only behind JoJo.

We move onto a Sister Panic, not dealing with Sakuta's sister but Mai's, in the perfect scenario to force Sakuta to become involved with her, that being the first of the Puberty Syndromes that Kokoro Connect explored (since, as I've been noting since the preview for episode 4, the two series operate in roughly the same manner), as well as a phenomenon featured even more prominently in the greatest and most successful anime of the past several years: the good old body swap!

I do hope Kaede gets some time to shine outside of just trying to jump on her brother (and aptly commenting on Sakuta's apparent harem protagonist nature as he brings a different girl home every time an event occurs), but I was also hoping that Mai would get some more focus instead of being relatively on the sidelines as she has been for the past couple of arcs, so I'm not disappointed in this.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 8

Two's a crowd.

Futaba was just feeling miserable there, but Sakuta's persistence paid off in a big way. All it took was a phone call to Kunimi letting him know that she wants to watch the fireworks with him, and the Futaba clone has vanished. But getting there was quite hazardous as Sakuta ventured out in the middle of a typhoon and ends up in the hospital. Nevertheless, that was a great way to resolve Futaba's insecurities as backing out on social media and getting her to realize how important her relationship with Kunimi is was the key. And now, it looks like Kaede is the next girl Sakuta is dealing with.
                          Re: Episode 8

Well the point is they're not clones, they're both the original. Think back to classic Star Trek where Kirk was divided into 2 different sides of himself, although this isn't to that extreme. And with a phone call, they fuse back together as one, symbolized by keeping the new hairstyle but with glasses. A nice story, that seemingly ends with a failed Futaba confession. But the important thing is she knows she has friends, that she's not alone.

And with that, we end up finally seeing the blonde girl, picking up Mai's phone, and being surprised by what she saw in the mirror. The blonde was briefly seen in the background on TV earlier in the episode, as someone who (idol?) liked Mai Sakurajima.

Comment

Episode 9

Switching places.

And now, the syndrome is what Kokoro Connect started off with as Mai and Nodoka have swapped bodies. These co-workers are now having to do the other girl's work, and it's already tough enough having these packed schedules in the entertainment industry, but having to fill in for each other, even more so. While Mai has handled it well, not so much with Nodoka as she got dizzy during a filming segment seeing that her talent deficiency in Mai's role is much greater Mai's in Nodoka's role. And thus, a serious problem has arisen, and it will be tough to figure things out.
                            Re: Episode 9

Whoa, coworkers? How about sisters? Half sisters, to be exact, same father, different mothers. Anyone paying attention to timestamps and posting order should be able to realize that I watched both episodes 8 & 9 in a row, and, therefore, my comments in talking about Episode 8 were made after having already seen Episode 9. Nonetheless, those comments and predictions were exactly what I was feeling when watching the end of Episode 8. I remembered the blonde girl from earlier, and it seemed like a classic body swap situation (reminds, me, I need to go back and refinish re-watching Kokoro Connect, again. Great show!)

And behold, I was right. What I didn't expect, although we'd been told of her existence way back, was that the blonde is Nodoka, Mai's younger sister, a member of a small-time idol group. Oh, and forgot to mention it, but my feeling that a dating ban was coming for Mai was proven right in Episode 8. Here, we have Nodoka having the ultimate perfect older sister, one who she's supposed to love and respect, but who she hates, having been compared, unfavorably to, all her life, especially by her own mother, with the mothers of the 2 girls both loathing each other and using the girls as proxy pawns. Worse for Nodoka, just when she finally starts making headway career-wise, while Mai had quit showbiz, then Mai comes back, stronger than ever.

We get to see the inside of Mai's home, which she bought, and that Mai's feelings toward Nodoka also hold animus. We end with Mai loaning the key to her apartment to Sakuta so he can check on Nodoka, who's having problems dealing with all the pressure of being Mai, with strict instructions to never, ever open certain cabinets in her home. You know he's going to open it...and you should know that Mai knows he will.

Another great episode. We even get a meaningful contribution from Kunimi's girfriend., making him realize the obvious, the sisters' feelings are far more complicated than merely love or hatred. This great series continues. Man, but I hope we get another season, but with the film coming, I'm not holding my breathe.

Comment

Episode 10

Nobody is superior.

All it took was for Nodoka to drop her inferiority complex and the sisters are back to being themselves. To do that, Sakuta made Nodoka realize that Mai doesn't see herself as being superior to her in the way Nodoka does. The girls see just how difficult things are in the other person's shoes with Nodoka requiring 13 takes to get a filming scene right, while Mai nearly had a spill at the concert. That box of letters there was what put an end to this matter as it goes to show just how much Mai values Nodoka as her little sister. Next time, it will be Kaede's turn to experience some supernatural phenomenon.

Comment

Episode 10

Nobody is superior.

All it took was for Nodoka to drop her inferiority complex and the sisters are back to being themselves. To do that, Sakuta made Nodoka realize that Mai doesn't see herself as being superior to her in the way Nodoka does. The girls see just how difficult things are in the other person's shoes with Nodoka requiring 13 takes to get a filming scene right, while Mai nearly had a spill at the concert. That box of letters there was what put an end to this matter as it goes to show just how much Mai values Nodoka as her little sister. Next time, it will be Kaede's turn to experience some supernatural phenomenon.
                                Mai does not nearly have a spill at the concert. That's the "lead" singer, Zukki (it's also unclear if that was a planned part of the show). But it turns out, Mai lied. She never hated her little sister, as the box full of letters Nodoka had written her when they were children proves. Also, it turns out that this was a literal body swap, not a brain swap. They transformed into each other. Looking back we have the clue for this: When Mai wakes up in Nodoka's body, her own phone is by the table. Since we'd not seen Mai's room before, there was nothing to clue other than the phone that they'd literally changed into each other. Which startles the heck out of Sakuta when they change back. Ultimately it's a combination of things that leads Nodoka to switch back: Mai's love and acceptance, the reassurance that she can live as she wants, but also seeing the awarding of her to be the next lead singer and seeing her mother's smile. She tells Mai that she wanted those things. and she's clearly jealous of Mai for being on the receiving end of those events. But, IMHO, she also realizes that if she'd not wanted to be Mai, if she had stayed in as her own self, she'd have been the one receiving those great moments.

In the end it works out, but it also ends with Nodoka moving in with Mai. The episode ends with Mai showing on her phone a speculative report: Someone got a photo of Sakuta walking with Nodoka, who was using Mai's body at the time.

The other developments: Li'l Sis Kaede tries out her school uniform, and looks to be building up to try to go back to school and we meet Sakuta and Kaede's dad, with the next arc clearly going to be Kaede focused.

Just a great show!

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X