X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2018] Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    青春ブタ野郎はバニーガール先輩の夢を見ない

A show about a dude who suffers from a mysterious syndrome that has him seeing an upperclassman as a bunny girl. Only he sees her like that as to everybody else, she's a cute teenage celebrity.

Airs: Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Studio: Sunrise

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Puberty Syndrome?a rumored, mysterious syndrome that only affects those in their puberty. For example, a bunny girl suddenly appeared in front of Sakuta Azusagawa. The bunny girl's real identity is Mai Sakurajima, a teenage celebrity who is currently an inactive high school senior. For some reason, her charming figure does not reflect in the eyes of others. In the course of revealing the mystery behind this phenomenon, Sakuta begins to explore his feelings towards Mai. Set in a city where the skies and seas shine, Sakuta unfolds the meaning behind his bizarre encounters on women with the said syndrome.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 10-03-2018, 11:16 AM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rimuru, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
    Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

A wild bunny girl appeared!

So it begins with Sakuta seeing Mai as a bunny girl, while Mai has been stressed out by her demanding job as a celebrity leading her to go on hiatus. These are to guys with serious social issues seeing that this kind of behavior just isn't normal. And then more characters get introduced with Sakuta's sister Kaede, his friend and co-worker at his part-time job Kunimi, his friend Futaba who is studying to become a scientist, and Mai's manager Nanjo. Lots of questions have been raised here, especially with Sakuta's scar, and this show certainly has potential seeing that this is from the same person who did The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Sakurasou was all about building friendships and community, and that certainly would do wonders for this show.

So as usual, the trial rules apply as I will wait and see which direction this show goes before making a decision.
    Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Totally makes sense that this is by the same guy as Sakurasou. It has the same feeling of a show with themes that could so easily turn it into trash, but is actually executed so well, with those elements existing only on such a superficial level compared to the very real subjects the story is exploring. Good first episode.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I enjoyed this first episode and am interested to see where this will go.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

Things aren't what they seem.

Mai decides to return to show biz, but with a different agency. Sakuta and Mai are going on a date, and just when things are going well despite the fact that Sakuta made Mai wait because he was being mistaken for a pedophile when he was helping a lost child, all of the sudden a bombshell was dropped as nobody knows who Mai is. It's hard to know what's fact and what's fiction seeing that Sakuta and Mai are experiencing a menacing disorder that this puberty syndrome is.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

A lot of very common concepts used in many anime, but they're so interesting that every use of them is unique and fascinating to watch. This is definitely no exception, and a fair bit better than a lot of others. Hopefully it can become as good as Sakurasou, if not better.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Still interested in seeing where this goes. We've now brought into the mix that everyone's forgotten Mai, except at school, we find out the real reason Mai got out of show business, someone helped Sakuta get out of his problem, but was she ever real? Bukeye is absolutely right: How much of this is fiction and how much is real is one of those things we likely won't find out till the end of the series...and I will be along for the ride to find out.
              Last edited by General Hentai; 10-17-2018, 10:15 PM.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

While the first episode and this second episode are impactful, it's hard to say how long the series can keep my interest. It's not that the characters are bad, it's just that (to use an analogy here) I can only swallow "characters looking directly at the moon and saying "What moon? I don't see any moon. There's no such thing as a moon" before I start to head desk and wonder if the series is secretly a "hidden camera" joke show.

Or alternatively it could be that we're in the "things will get worse before they get better" phase and if that phase will last until say episode 9 or 10, this might be one of the more depressing series of the season. Moving to speculation, I guess one of the main challenges might be how to go against well let's just call it the tide.

If we assume there's a loop of "the fewer people who observer her" means "fewer people know she exists' means "even fewer people observe her", she's basically in a downward spiral and trying to figure out how to escape it is the question. I mean other than obviously "it starts with our protagonist", but even the most destined protagonists need a method as to which they "save the day".

I suspect I'll probably end up falling behind on the series, but end up catching up with it later. A cycle that will repeat until I finish it. Here's hoping for a decently thought out conclusion.
                "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Episode 3

Girlfriend, reappear.

Just like that, everybody at school remembers who Mai is just when it looked like her existence would never come back. All Sakuta had to do was get everybody to remember her as according to what Futaba said, love must overpower ignorance. He took quite a dramatic route to do that by walking out in the middle of an exam and declare his love for her outside the school building. People thinks he's crazy yelling about his imaginary girlfriend, but it is somebody that, at least in their minds once she reappears, they know.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Well this series has quite rapidly propelled itself to the top of my list of new series this season. It has already told a story that would make it one of the best if it took an entire cour, and it did it in 3 episodes. I was a little disappointed to learn that a series with so much potential would only be one cour, but at this rate, it will be able to accomplish a crazy amount in 13 episodes.

Very much like the Fuko arc of Clannad. Plenty of other anime have similar themes, but that's definitely what the climactic stretch had the most in common with, until the final payoff, which was obviously different. So good, though.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Well, that was not only good, but damn good. It almost felt like the end of the series, but, instead, it was the end of an arc. I was wondering when we'd get a callback to the Sakuta reading his notebook at the start of the first episode. We ended last episode with everyone at school remembering Mai-senpai, while he spends the night in bed with her, unable to sleep because of that proximity, he discovers the next day that only he and one other person, Futaba the science girl, remember Mai-senpai, because both didn't sleep. Realizing this, Sakuta does something you should never try at home, chugs down energy drinks and caffeine pills to stay awake so he won't forget Mai-senpai. He is confronted by Mai-senpai on his 3rd straight day without sleep, the night before the final day of exams. After tutoring him, he suddenly starts falling asleep; she slipped sleeping pills into his drink to make him stop trying to do the impossible. The next morning, he awakens with no memory of Mai-senpai. He dismisses his notebook which he'd written; her name is blanked out wherever he'd written it. At school, taking his kanji exam, he comes across words that Mai-senpai had tutored him on, and he remembers her. He dashes out of class, remembering a note that Futaba had given him, that in order to erase the atmosphere that was erasing Mai-senpai, he had to do something drastic to force everyone to recognize Mai-senpai, something that would absolutely be impossible to forget. And with that, he yells out at the entire school his love of Mai-senpai. Repeatedly. Emphatically. Until Mai-senpai comes and then yells back that the hospitalization rumor about Sakuta is nonsense. At which point, everyone remembers Mai-senpai again, just as if they'd never forgotten about her.

As you might be able to guess, I'm really happy that this show keeps the honorifics, which makes sense considering that it plays a major part in the very title of this series. But this was a very great start. It really reminds me, a lot, of the Monogatari series, which is a ridiculously high standard to compare anything to, and yet it holds up very well indeed.

So, with that, we're on to the next arc, and I'm damn well looking forward to it.

Comment

Episode 4

When will that day come?

So after dealing with puberty syndrome that involves forgetting that somebody existed, Sakuta is dealing with another one involving a time loop where he's living the same day over again, just like in the infamous Endless Eight arc of Haruhi Suzumiya. But there's no pattern to it as it happened, and then all of the sudden it doesn't. While that's happening, he becomes close with the fellow kouhai Tomoe, and Sakuta gets himself into hot water after accidentally making it look like he was in love with her, which didn't sit too well with Mai. Sakuta is now in quite a lot of trouble after all that as his relationship with Mai is strained, all while he's feeling the heat for getting too close to Tomoe. So now, it's onto the next arc as this has the feel of Kokoro Connect with a supernatural problem forcing Sakuta to face his insecurities and overcome them, and it will be interesting to see how he gets through this.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

It's appropriate that I have the new volume of the Empty Box and Zeroth Maria that just arrived staring me in the face, because the structure of this series really reminds me of that. One of these supernatural phenomena happens once a volume, which is probably how this was done in its own light novel origins, stemming from the psyche of a particular character that we get to know through the protagonist dealing with it alongside the somewhat similar female lead.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                            Episode 4

When will that day come?

So after dealing with puberty syndrome that involves forgetting that somebody existed, Sakuta is dealing with another one involving a time loop where he's living the same day over again, just like in the infamous Endless Eight arc of Haruhi Suzumiya. But there's no pattern to it as it happened, and then all of the sudden it doesn't. While that's happening, he becomes close with the fellow kouhai Tomoe, and Sakuta gets himself into hot water after accidentally making it look like he was in love with her, which didn't sit too well with Mai. Sakuta is now in quite a lot of trouble after all that as his relationship with Mai is strained, all while he's feeling the heat for getting too close to Tomoe. So now, it's onto the next arc as this has the feel of Kokoro Connect with a supernatural problem forcing Sakuta to face his insecurities and overcome them, and it will be interesting to see how he gets through this.
                            I was thinking more along the lines of the Monogatari series of dealing with the problems of a certain girl each arc. Your analogy might turn out to be more accurate, though we'll have to wait and see.

So, we have an Endless Eight call back, which, fortunately, wraps up the repetition about a third of the way through the episode. This is another of those shows where you can have a great gal each arc, but where certain charcters just shine. It was Hitagi in Monogatari (well, and Tsubasa, too), and here it's Mai. Her interactions with Sakuta are just great!

Another great episode, and a definite nominee for best original show of the season that doesn't involve goblins.

Comment

Episode 5

No day at the beach.

That was a pretty amusing date there with Sakuta and Tomoe, especially at the end of it when they meet up with Yoneyama at the beach. But of course, Sakuta is dealing with a lot of trouble as if getting chewed out by Mai wasn't enough, he's dealing with bullies who are taking jabs at Tomoe, and he's fighting back. There was nothing supernatural here, but it made for a lot of complications.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X