X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2018] Run with the Wind Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    風が強く吹いている

A sports show about college students participating in a cold-weather marathon.

Airs: Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Studio: Production I.G

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Kakeru, a former elite runner at high school, is chased for stealing food. He is saved by a Kansei University student Haiji, who is also a runner. Haiji persuades Kakeru to live in the old apartment "Chikuseisou" where he plans to team up with fellow residents to enter Hakone Ekiden Marathon, one of the most prominent university races in Japan. Kakeru soon finds out that all of the residents except for Haiji and himself are complete novices.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rimuru, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
    Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

He can run, but he can't hide.

This is mostly character introductions as the MC is Kakeru, who is an experienced runner, but he did something stupid that ended up getting him kicked out of his apartment leading him to resort to stealing. Haiji sees the talent in him, and he has a new home for him on the condition that he joins the track and field club as the landlord is a former track star himself and the club's coach. Those boys sure are a quirky group there, and it will be interesting to see how they get along as only Kakeru and Haiji are runners, while the other boys are beginners. And then Kakeru meets a rival who is rehabbing from an injury. Pretty interesting start there as once again, I.G is at the top of their game and the style is very similar to Welcome to the Ballroom where the MC is recruited into a sport as a way to change his life for the better.

So like always, trial period rules apply, and I'll have to wait and see how it stacks up against this season's field before saying yay or nay to this.
    Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Here comes an ogre.

If this team is to qualify for the Hakone Ekiden marathon, the boys have their work cut out for them, and seeing that the motivation is lacking, it's not going to be an easy task. But at least they are getting along even if some of the characters are up to some crazy antics, especially there at the public baths. Well, that was pretty much all buildup there, and that was a rather boring episode there, but hopefully it leads to some great development.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I wasn't sure at first, but this episode definitely solidified the show's place on my list. Now that we get to to really know the characters beyond their single-trait introductions, I really like their characteristics and dynamics. I think it has a lot of potential to be a good show, even if it hasn't had the strongest start so far. Of course I would like it to be, since I.G sports shows with Hayashi scores are always a joy to look at and listen to.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

She's in it for the long run.

Kakeru is trying his hardest to get everybody to bail with those morning jogs, but everything changes once Hanako arrives as that got the boys motivated to train harder. Of course they are being played for fools thinking that the girls would flock over to them, but anything that gets them to take their training more seriously is a good thing. As for Kakeru, the reason he has been so hesitant about participating in the marathon to Hakone is that he's not a team player, and that rival who showed up there at the end apparently has something to do with it. That was a much better episode there as it goes to show that these boys just need to be properly motivated. While all is well on their end, not so much on Kakeru's end.

So with that, this show has a much better chance of making the cut after last week's underwhelming episode. But nonetheless, I'll hold off on my decision until next week.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

I appreciate the token black character challenging the stereotypes placed upon him whenever they come up. Granted, some of it is slightly undermined by him actually being as good at running as those stereotypes would imply and by the music played for his initial introduction, but I think it still comes out ahead.

We'll almost certainly be getting some backstory on our lead soon. He has a lot of baggage to unpack.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

Can't run away from the past.

And Kakeru's dark past is revealed as he choked during a track meet where he wasn't feeling well, and things just spiraled down from there. It doesn't help that his rival Sakaki rubbed it in him. Thus, he became the homeless gambling addict before Haiji brought him in to help him rediscover his passion he once had. That was a nice pick-me-upper from Haiji, and now the he's running alongside good teammates who are humble and hard-working as opposed to those with the win-at-all-cost mentality, that's a good first step to putting his life back together. Now, they just need to teach that Sakaki douchebag a lesson.

So with that, the trial period is over, and while I was uncertain at the start, this episode certainly convinced me to stay along for the long run. I haven't definitively decided yet, but it's looking good.

Comment

Episode 4

Solid material from Kakeru and Prince in particular. This show has been on the line along with so many other series this season, but I think it's pretty much guaranteed to be on the right side enough to keep on my list if I don't just decide to throw them all away. Not as good as I would hope, but it's decent enough.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

Not everyone can make it.

What happened there in the previous episode leads up to this as these boys get a reality check, from Yohei failing to pass the screening process for his potential new job to the boys struggling to fit in training with their busy schedules. Seeing that they have quite a long ways to go just to qualify for the big marathon that these boys have their work cut out for them, and that starts giving up their jobs to train, which is sensible seeing that they are paying far less for rent. And so, the road to the marathon begins as they will be running like crazy.

Comment

Episode 6

Run with reality.

This episode focuses on guy nicknamed the King as he is the most reluctant member of the complex. He had been so focused on his job hunt that he has been missing out on all the other things in life. He took that message to heart from Haiji that things are better when he's doing something because he wants to rather than because he has to. A great life lesson that was seeing that these boys are now warming up to running because it makes them feel good rather than because they were asked to. The moment of truth is coming next week.

Comment

Episode 7

Running away from the competition.

It's go-time as the team has its first race, and the results went down as expected with everybody except Kakeru and Haiji struggling. Musa was going well, but he ran out of gas way too soon. And it doesn't help that they were up against an Olympic hopeful in Kazuma. But unlike that bastard Sakaki, Kazuma is a friendly guy who encourages Kakeru on to lead this team, but Kakeru didn't exactly take it well. While those boys were training hard, this is a reminder that runners don't get good overnight.

Comment

Episode 8

Running on empty.

That was nice Ashita no Joe reference there as that Rikiichi guy pretty much describes the mood of this teams as they are willing to destroy themselves to get to where they want to be. That includes extreme dieting, sauna usage, buying a treadmill, going cold turkey on the cigs, and a lot of other impulsive things, but they soon realize that this isn't something that just happens overnight. And that argument between Kakeru and Haiji there at the end pretty much sums things up as everybody's head is in the wrong place, none more so than Kakeru, who is essentially qualified for the marathon already, but he's none too pleased about not being the best. Tension like this was bound to happen.

Comment

Episode 9

Records aren't everything.

After things got tension-filled, Kakeru finally understands the decision to sit out for the next meet as only half the team ran in the next meet. It's all about being a team player here as he shouted his support for his teammates understanding why he wasn't running as the others needed to participate for more than he does. Still a long way to go, but the team is finally gelling. But then that ending with Haiji collapsing, that really soured the mood.

Comment

Episode 10

How quickly they learn.

Haiji just needs some time to rest, but while that's happening, the boys are having a hard time trying to cook and do stuff for everybody as the twins are the only guys who have cooked before, and they made quite a big mess in the kitchen. But that's just a precursor to these boys taking charge as everybody got faster. And it especially had a positive impact for Prince as he has struggled quite a lot, but now he is on track to make the cut. Great episode that was for character development.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X