X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2018] FLCL Alternative Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    フリクリ オルタナ

The third season of the crazy anime show involving aliens, motorcycles, and a whole lot of extrateretial and supernatural weirdness. Unlike with Progressive, this happens in an alternative universe where the style adheres to the first season more so than the sequel.

Airs: Saturday, September 8, 2018

Studio: Production IG

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Toonami

While the two six-episode installments were previously slated for late 2017 to early 2018, the staff announced at the panel that they are both slated for 2018 with a break in the middle. The two seasons will have completely separate stories. The staff previously announced that the 12 episodes will be a sequel to the 2000-2001 original video anime.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Watching: MHA season 2, Testament SND Burst, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, TOA-I3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, BIY, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Age 17 and having a blast.

So it begins with a bunch of high school friends just wanting to have fun. But of course, this is FLCL and things get crazy pretty quickly. It happens when an alien comes crashing down ruining their megasized bottle rocket that they worked so hard on. And of course, Haruko is back and Kana's forehead holds a weapon, this time in the form of a guitar, with which Haruko's signature guitar smash makes quick work of that alien just like that. They rebuild the rocket, and while it launched, it fell apart. While things are pretty crazy, it's relatively tame compared to the other series. While it didn't exactly get off to the best of starts, it's still better than Progressive that was just a mess of inconsistency.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, TOA-I3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, BIY, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      Episode 1

While things are pretty crazy, it's relatively tame compared to the other series. While it didn't exactly get off to the best of starts, it's still better than Progressive that was just a mess of inconsistency.
      Oh yeah, this is definitely a way better first episode than Progressive in tons of ways:
      • It does a way better job of introducing the main character and her friends (whereas the main character in Progressive felt flat, and outside of the love interest, the friends' introduction is basically a scene with said love interest);
      • The way Haruko is brought into this scenario (with some mysterious build-up around her and the show's Amaroa character being aware of her) is way better handled than Progressive (where she basically reveals herself by taking off her teacher disguise, which would confuse people who have not seen the original series or Alternative).
      • Whereas Progressive is more focused on plot and lore, you can tell that Alternative is focusing on the show's theme about the end of childhood.
      Joseph Klemm
      "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
      Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
      Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
      Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

Episode 2

Looking for love in all the wrong places.

So after an episode about Kana, this one is about Hijiri as this fashion model has attracted quite a lot of suitors, but in this line of work more often than not they fail. She's used to being rejected, so she dumped Satoshi seeing that those two aren't exactly good fits for each other seeing that Satoshi is a college student while Hijiri is still in high school. But not after some crazy and wacky adventures as a truck some out of Kana's head this time, and Satoshi was saved by Hijiri at the cost of a camcorder. That was really nice to see that this season is focusing on all the other characters and doing a great job in making them stand out unlike with Progressive that just tried to do too much and not having much of a plan to carry it out.

Comment

Episode 3

Dreams don't need to be done the hard way.

So after episodes about Kana and Hijiri, this one is about Mossan, and I would have to think that the next one is going to be about Pets. Mossan is aspiring to become a fashion designer, and she's hard at work as a road construction worker to realize her dream. But while she's dedicated to it, she stubbornly refuses to get help from her friends as she overexerts herself at work, and while her friends filled in for her, she's none too pleased about the help she received. But Kana was able to talk sense into her, and she's helping her out in designing the dress for the competition that she doesn't win. While she took her failure well, that stunt Haruko pulled off wearing that dress and causing all that commotion was quite awkward for her. This season continues to be much better planned than Progressive as it had an objective and sticks with as it's all about these kids transitioning into adulthood.

Comment

Episode 4

Love isn't a slam dunk.

I was expecting this episode to be about Pets, but instead another episode about Kana as this focuses on her relationship, or lack thereof with Sasaki, who is on the high school basketball team. After lots of wild and crazy stuff went on, Kana realizes that she just isn't ready for love, which is for the best seeing that she felt quite uncomfortable thinking about it. Not to mention, she's lacking that sensation when she backed off on kissing him. That was a rather meh episode there, but it drives home the point that these kids have a lot of growing up to do and it's not a good idea to rush into things.

Comment

Episode 5

Mars attracts, just not her.

I was expecting last week's episode to be about Pets, but it comes in this episode instead. As it turns out, Pets got her nickname not because of her love for animals, but because of the way her name is written. She is from a very wealthy family, and with global warming really taking its toll on the planet that her family decides to move to Mars, where only those with money can afford to do while the rest just perish with the Earth's pending doom. She wasn't exactly being a good friend to Kana as she acted more of a loner, but after getting captured by that hand monster, Kana lets Pets know that she will always have her back. That was quite a turnaround there as Pets realized what was most important to her, and it wasn't until her family was getting ready to move to Mars that she knew what meant the most to her. One more episode left as those robots are gearing up to fight.

Comment

Episode 6 (Finale)

Friendship saves the day.

With Earth's destruction imminent, those who can afford to do so move to Mars just as Pets and her family is doing. And with the town quiet, the destruction begins with the hand moving that giant iron around to bulldoze everything and anything in its path, but Kana saves the day as her power of love opened up a wormhole to send that giant hand away that was tucked away in her forehead. Kana's character sure has taken a giant leap forward here seeing that while she won't be able to see Pets anytime soon, her feelings are all straightened out. That was pretty dramatic there from Haruko fighting those Canti clones to Kana going Super Saiyan and that giant iron of destruction. While this season doesn't stack up against the original season, it's a huge improvement over Progressive as there was actually a well-written story with the crazy supernatural stuff there to support it rather than get in the way. It's a more conservative approach, but one that made for a much better product than going at it on the other end of the spectrum.

Overall, this season is a huge improvement over Progressive as unlike with that season, this season is focused on accomplishing what it sets out to do in developing the characters and showcase the theme of growing up, and that makes quite a big difference when the show isn't just doing random stuff for the heck of it like what happened in Progressive. While the storywriting is good, it kind of gets away from what made the original season special by backing off on the supernatural aspect, and the show's appeal suffers from it. So in all this season does a great job with storywriting, character development, and cohesion, but it doesn't do as good a job in incorporating the supernatural aspects making it not that much different from a typical slice of life show.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X