X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2018] Double Decker! Doug & Kirill Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    DOUBLE DECKER! ダグ&キリル

From the creators of Tiger and Bunny comes another crime-fighting show where the main duo consists of a seasoned veteran and an enthusiastic rookie working for a detective agency where cops work in pairs.

Airs: Sunday, September 30, 2018

Studio: Sunrise

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The city state of Lisvalletta. Two suns rise above this city, and the people here live peaceful lives, but in the shadows crime and illegal drugs run rampant. Among them is the dangerous, highly lethal drug "Anthem" which casts a dark shadow over the city. The SEVEN-O Special Crime Investigation Unit specializes in cracking down on Anthem. This unit operates in two man "buddy" teams in what's called the "Double Decker System" to tackle the problem. Doug Billingham is a seasoned investigator, and joining him is Kirill Vrubel, whose abilities are mysterious and unknown.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Watching: MHA season 2, Testament SND Burst, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, TOA-I3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, BIY, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Always at the right place at the right time.

The similarities to Tiger and Bunny are on display here Doug and Kirill are a lot like Kotetsu and Barnaby, and with the experience gap, that's bound to lead to a lot of chemistry issues. So Kirill was found caught in the middle of a case, and Doug used him to surprise those criminals so that he can move in and make the arrest. While it's not as fancy as the way Tiger and Bunny began, it did set the stage for some great action to go down. I certainly like what I saw seeing that Tiger and Bunny was so amazing, and while I can't reasonably expect this to top that, this show has some nice things going for it at the moment. I'll be interested in learning about his comrades at the agency.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, TOA-I3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, BIY, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

He's got a lot to learn.

Now that Kirill has been chosen to be Doug's new partner that he has some big shoes to fill in for his previous partner Derick. And once more, the Anthem drug strikes again with a prison escapee this time getting infected by it, and the riot in jail is used as a distraction. This leads to a vehicle chase where the enemy becomes a monster, but before he can cause any further damage Doug puts a medicinal bullet in him. Pretty interesting story about Kirill as he's an amusing guy to watch. It's hard to see how he would be a worthy detective as he is now, but Doug sees plenty of potential in him. Pretty much, it's set up much how Tiger and Bunny is seeing that it slowly developed the characters through the villain-of-the-week format before things get really serious.

So as usual, the trial rules apply, and while it has been an entertaining start, I'll have to wait and see how it stacks up against the rest of the field before making a verdict.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Another good start. Nice characters and potential to be quite enjoyable.

Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Episode 3

It's detective's intuition.

Doug and Kirill have been having a hard time getting along seeing that Doug used to trust Derick, and he expects the same out of Kirill but just aren't clicking. But Kirill goes to prove himself with detective's intuition seeing that those drug dealers had a clever disguise there to allow them to distribute Anthem without drawing suspicion. He might have fooled a lot of other detectives, but Kirill knew that something was amiss, though he still has quite a lot to learn about how to deal with this information. And on this case, Kay tags along and she's a fun character to be around to say the least. Next time, the story behind Derick is explained as at the moment, the show has only mentioned Derick as Doug's previous partner, but it never said if he was killed, went missing, or resigned.

Comment

Episode 4

She's got a lot to learn.

After watching Release the Spyce yesterday that I knew what Kay had to go through there falling for all those traps, but it turns out that it was Deana that set the trap to make Gary and company think they have them trapped. That trap involves having Kirill and Yuri pose as hostages seeing that Deana and Kay don't have the authority to arrest. This show just continues to like teasing as it was believed that Derick was killed on assignment all this time, but it turns out that he simply retired so that he could pursue his dream of opening his own bar. Kay has quite a lot to learn, but she is definitely a fun character to be around.

So with that, the trial period has ended, and this show had made the cut. Unfortunately, the Sunday lineup this season is pretty weak, but nevertheless this is one of the shows I have been enjoying the most this season.

Comment

Episode 5

Fighting crime from A to Z.

And here comes this show's version of Ouroburos in Esperanza as this criminal organization has been running rampant, and it's easy to see why as the leader is quite a formidable foe. They were on a case where they tried to get Zabel, who Doug arrested during his first year on the job, to speak the truth and with him facing execution for murdering the previous leader A, they reluctantly let him out of prison to find the body. There, they are ambushed by the leader B, and while Zabel got away (and later killed by B), they did get some critical information to raid their hideout. Pretty interesting to see how Esperanza came to be and what Doug and company are going to do in order to take down this organization.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Um, no, Zabel was not only not killed, he is now the leader of Esperanza. He did say "Zabel is dead", but that was only to emphasize that "Z is now the new A". Watch the post end credits scene.

I don't understand why Zabel confessing the killing of A and showing where the body is would allow him to have his sentence reduced for the other killings, the ones for which he was actually convicted.

So far, so good. I am enjoying this show quite a bit. I love the different mix of characters in 7-0 and their distinct personalities. The over the top outfits and humor only add to the charm. As long as you don't take the show that seriously, it is very entertaining.

Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Episode 6

Family matters.

This episode is all about Kirill as he came to town looking for his lost sister Milla. Scratch that (and that lame voice in the TV show that was played in the first half of the episode) as that's actually his brother Valery. I totally saw that coming since Kirill's "sister" was speaking with a guy's voice. Valery went to town to look for a job, and just disappeared like that, but now he has resurfaced working for Derick at the bar. Pretty ironic how things turned out as Doug's former partner was not dead, but decided to retire and open up this place where Kirill's brother now works at. More about Kirill's family will get explained next week.

Comment

Episode 7

Revenge is so old-schooled.

And now, an episode that focuses on Doug's past as he is out to take revenge on Joe, who killed a little orphaned girl named Pat who worked as a shoe shiner eight years ago. It was because of her that Doug saw just how rotten this place is with its class society and he has since been determined to do something about it. And then he goes out and carries out his revenge, but he stopped short of killing everybody as he knowingly brought a gun that would misfire. This show just never fails when it comes to irony as for a moment, I though that Pat was Doug's first partner, but it was a different kind of partner he was talking about.

Comment

Episode 8

This won't be her last dance.

So Max became a cop because of her senior prom that she couldn't attend with Connor, and then Connor turned to drugs. Camilla looked to be going down the same path, but Max was able to talk some sense into her. She was quite obsessed with becoming the prom queen, and she used a drug that allowed her to change her looks, leading to all this mess. Seeing that things usually don't end well for Anthem users, that was a nice change of pace to see that Camilla survived that and that she will attend the prom, one without a king or queen. Pretty interesting background Max had, though letting a prom dictate her life, that wasn't exactly a smart thing to do.

Comment

Episode 9

Playing the hero.

The next case involves a politician's daughter getting kidnapped, but it's just a ploy by the candidate to get others to see him as a hero for rescuing her, all while Esperanza's goal is to capture Doug and forcefully turn him into an Anthem user. There, Doug figures out that the hierarchy is backwards and that Zabel is actually at the top. But thanks to Apple's technology, the day is saved, though it wasn't exactly smooth sailing. Lots of drama is unfolding here seeing that the military sergeant there apparently knows about Kirill's grandfather through those words of wisdom, and it will be interesting to see what the deal is.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine
                        Working...
                        X