X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2018] We Rent Tsukumogami Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    つくもがみ貸します

A show about a shop that rents out items with spirits infused inside of them.

Airs: Sunday, July 22, 2018

Studio: TMS Entertainment

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The series is set during the Edo period, in the Fukagawa ward of old Edo (present-day Tokyo). Because the area is prone to fire and flooding, residents rent everyday items like pots, futons, and clothing from shops instead of purchasing them, so as not to impede them when they flee. Obeni and Seiji, an older sister and younger brother, run one such rental shop called Izumoya. However, mixed in with their inventory are tsukumogami, objects that have turned into spirits after a hundred years of existence. The siblings sometimes lend these sentient items to customers. Both Obeni and Seiji can see and talk to these spirits, and other tsukumogami often come to the store after hearing of the famed siblings.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Watching: Forest of Piano, Seraph of the End, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Still just a rat in a cage.

So it begins explaining what tsukumogami are, all while there's a job for Seiji as he lends a tsukumogami to get a rat back that apparently was stolen. But it turns out that the perceived thief was just a friend. The tsukumogamis are pretty interesting characters there, all while I like how Seiji is so great with reasoning being able to connect the dots like that. Pretty decent start here as it figures to at least be a fun show to watch, if anything, but nevertheless it's nothing spectacular as this feels somewhat like something aimed towards children.

So I'll give it another episode or two before deciding on this show.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Just want to hang around.

So now, the tsukumogami are fighting each other in a sumo tournament. This time, the tsukumogami comes in the form of hanging scrolls that need cleansing. These scrolls are just used for special occasions and then stowed away until the moment comes again, which is what the problem all amounted to. So just like that, Seiji works wonders again to appease a suffering tsukumogami.

So with that, it's pretty clear that this show is on the outside looking in, and while I kind of enjoyed it, it's one of those shows where seeing it once means I have seen it all. I guess I'll give it one more, but that will absolutely be it unless in the unlikely case that it blows me away.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine
      Working...
      X