X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2018] Attack on Titan Season 3 Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    進撃の巨人 Season 3

The third season of the worldwide phenomenon. Eren's quest had hit some serious speed bumps the last season as the battle isn't simply humanity against the titans as he once believed, but he is still alive and kicking in this battle for survival.

Airs: Sunday, July 22, 2018

Studio: Wit

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Season 1 Discussion Thread
    Season 2 Discussion Thread

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Watching: Forest of Piano, Seraph of the End, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 38

So nice to not have to wait another four years! And we're even back to two cours this time! However... this opening really doesn't get the Attack on Titan excitement going quite like the Linked Horizon ones. A bit of a softer tone. Looks like we'll be getting a lot of Levi, especially his background, and perhaps some of Erwin's as well. Should be interesting.
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 38

Where there's smoke, there's fire.

So after the first half that was mostly setup for things to come, it's back to some action here as Eren and Christa get kidnapped by some amateurs, but he knew that something was amiss seeing that if the MP wanted to kidnap them, they wouldn't be using those wimps. And indeed, there was as Kenny the Reaper was using this as a diversion and sneak up on Levi. It's great to be back with this show, and this time the wait was only a year. It feels really strange that Linked Horizon is not doing the opening, but even so the song is still very good.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Mai Sakurajima, Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
      Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 39

Well, at least we get Linked Horizon for the ending. Definitely a slower tone than their openings, but still very distinctly Linked Horizon, to the point that it almost feels more energetic than its corresponding opening.

I'll have to keep a tally of how many episodes we get into this season before seeing a single Titan. Ultimately even the major Titan villains have been known to be humans for some time now, but this is still a pretty significant departure with the enemy being purely human in this season thus far. It was strange to start things off with Kenny set up as the main antagonist as if we had ever heard of him before, but at least they're starting to fill in some of his importance to Levi's past here.

And yes, as much as I do my best to avoid spoilers, I have seen the name "Levi Ackerman" around the internet, but I believe this is the first time it was mentioned in the anime, so I imagine we'll be learning what Levi's relationship to Mikasa really is within this arc. As I alluded to previously, I am looking forward to learning more about him and Erwin, who looks to be the subject of at least some of the next episode.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 39

Feel the pain.

So far, no titans have appeared as now it is becoming a war between humans now, and with Kenny now siding with the enemy, things are going to get quite chaotic. Eren and Historia get kidnapped with Eren about to become titan chow if he isn't saved, all while Historia is the successor and a big obstacle for Reiss. With all that, something big is about to go down. And while it's strange to see Linked Horizon not doing the opening, at least they are doing the ending.

Comment

Episode 40

Making Historia history.

This episode explores the past of Historia and Erwin as they had it pretty rough there. Historia lived a quiet life with her mother until her father Rod came and killed her mother, and then exiled Historia while taking on the name of Christa Lenz. Then there's Erwin's father as he was murdered when he learned too much about the government going to show just how corrupt they are as they only give a damn about protecting their extravagant lifestyles rather than helping humanity. One thing is clear in that the current government is a fraud as they seized the throne from the Reiss family.

Comment

Re: Episode 40

Things are just getting worse and worse for the Scouts. Interesting that Erwin has had a score to settle with the corrupt government since childhood, and his determination to enter the military and eventually lead one of its three branches was likely spurred on by his desire to overthrow them when the opportunity arose, even if he had to be sacrificed to see it happen. There have always been parallels between this show and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but this arc definitely takes it to a new level. Levi is Mustang, Eren is Edward, except in relation to Mikasa, who is Lan Fan, in which case Eren is Ling, etc.

Another important piece of information is the proposed ability for a Titan to gain the powers of whomever they eat. That seems like one of those cases of assumption based on very little evidence, but that's how most of the revelations have come about among this group, and of course they're always accurate and very quickly accepted as fact. Which is always a little contrived, but I could see how it would be difficult to prove these things without wasting a lot of extra time.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 41

Who can you trust?

Lots of plotting and scheming have been going on as the soldiers are up to no good, all while Hinge and Marlo from the Military Police are growing disillusioned with the Military Police as they are devoted to justice, but they aren't exactly doing that as members of the Military Police. Jean sure had me convinced that he was going to kill those two before they realized that it was just a test. And then Hange had some great timing there in beating those thugs who were about to kill Flegel, which lets the citizens show how much corruption is going on. In the meantime, Erwin is not doing so well facing execution. Lots of relationships were tested here as the situation is quite tense with everything that has been going on.

Comment

Re: Episode 41

It's hard to remember how recently the Annie incident was. They really haven't had a chance to take a breath since then, and the public doesn't even know the Female Titan was Annie in the first place. It's crazy to think that even her MP colleagues still have no idea. Marlo's sense of justice makes him a pretty obvious choice to join the Scouts when the Military Police has become the most evil antagonists (specially the Interior Police by the order of the King and his inner circle), but Hitch didn't seem as likely given what we've seen from her so far. Now that things are getting very dangerous for the Scouts, they're finally starting to turn the tables and open some public eyes a little bit. They better, because Erwin is just about in the execution chair.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 42

Stand up and fight.

As expected, Erwin escapes execution in grand fashion as it gets interrupted by a false alarm that the middle wall had been breached, and then Pyxis lets the government bastards know that they are onto their tricks and that the king is a fraud. So now, the rebellion has been put into motion, but before that there's the matter of rescuing Eren and Historia as they are being held captive. That was amazing, and it goes to show that the if the government was truly thinking about humanity's survival, there was no way they could continue to keep this charade going.

Comment

Re: Episode 42

I knew Erwin was going to get saved in a move that would strike a major blow to the regime just before execution, but I didn't expect the entire coup to play out in that instant. Now the military is united outside of the remainder of the Interior Police, namely Kenny, and Zachary is top dog until they get the real royal family straightened out.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 43

Carrying his sin.

It's an info dumping episode here, but one with some really shocking truths and big reveals here as Eren's father sought the power of the titans possessed by the Reiss family, and as such he killed everybody except for Historia and Rod as he had targeted the royal family for that. Historia's half-sister Freida had the most power, but her inexperience using it led to her downfall. Then there's Kenny and the Ackerman family as they suffered through persecution. And then titans can have their memories manipulated, so it's no wonder why the characters had been in the dark about so much stuff. That sets the stage really nicely as big truths are all coming out.

Comment

Re: Episode 43

Damn, they're really revealing a shitload of stuff here. Seems like we might even be close to some of the big truths we've been seeking for half a decade now. Definitely looks like even more is coming very shortly.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 44

Live proudly.

And just like that, Historia has made her move as she refuses to inherit Frieda's titan powers as the world's history has been manipulated with Frieda the only person who knows it, and Eren is the reason why the world is what it is thanks to his father. While Rod talks as if he know that this would fix the world in an instant, it's pretty clear that all he wants is to become a god, and Frieda is helping Eren out as those bastards tried to make Eren and Historia fight each other as titans. So now, the stage has been set for the big showdown for the throne with Rod turning into a titan after Historia refused to put Frieda's titan powers into herself, and it's going to get really chaotic.

Comment

Re: Episode 44

Historia is so much more fun like this than she ever was as the perfect little sweetheart or the timid victim. Now she's gotta kick Eren's broken ass into gear to stand against her manipulative old man now that he has this ultimate power. Plus, all of our old classmates are killing people now!
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...