Widgets Magazine

Currenlty Watching (Summer 2018 Edition)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckeye
    started a topic [Summer 2018] Currenlty Watching (Summer 2018 Edition)

Currenlty Watching (Summer 2018 Edition)

The heat is on, and so is the summer season of anime. Spring was a season of epic proportions (albeit that depends on what your definition of that means as it will very), but nevertheless it was a great season. But now that's in the past, save for the shows that are continuing into this season, and it's now time to start another Currently Watching thread for this season.

The link to the Spring 2018 Edition
    Summer 2018 Anime Chart
    Summer 2018 Anime Lineup Thread

Note
    - Change the title of your post to reflect the contents.
    - Do not use the Reply to Thread button; instead, click quote on the post you wish to reply to, or on this post if you're starting a new subthread.
    - Edit down the quoted section to the relevant bits, nobody needs to read someone's epic list of watched stuff twice.
    - Be nice to one another.
    - Please discuss only what you are watching this season in this thread. Stuff watched during other seasons should be discussed in their respective threads.

Also, I'd like to add the following. The Currently Watching Thread is mainly meant for a general overview of how you're currently feeling about shows. It is not supposed to be a replacement for actual discussion threads. Try to keep heavier discussion (if possible) in the more specific discussion threads.

In addition, try to be careful of spoilers here. It's one thing if it's properly tagged and such. However, I don't want people to have to worry about someone randomly posting "Wow, X died in episode 17 of Y". Just a randomly made up example, but you get the idea.

• Buckeye
    replied
    Summer 2018 Simulcast Reviews

As I prepare to do my Fall 2018 simulcast reviews, I forgot to do them for the Summer 2018 season as I need to go back and do them in preparation for the my end-of-the-year simulcast rankings. As always, it's a copy-and-paste job for the most part with edits to remove potential spoilers from the review as they are allowed in the show's threads, but not so much here.

Completed

​​​​​Isekai Izakaya: Japanese Food From Another World: B-
    This show was made mainly as an advertisement for food, all while pretty much taking the concept of Restaurant to Another World to do it. Where this show falters the most is that things just get repetitive where in some way, shape, or form, the episodes are the same just changing the characters and food items. That said, where this show excels are with the characters as they are not just one-offs, all while they get some pretty nice development despite the show's structure. And then the Nobu Plus segments really help make it clear that this show is all about the food. In any case, this show was a pleasure to watch in spite of these obvious faults.

Dropkick On My Devil!: C
    This show does a great job with the comedy and characters as those things made the show worthwhile to watch. In all, it was fun, but not very substantial as this show is bogged down by two critical drawbacks. First of all, the animation quality is pretty iffy as the studio just doesn't have a good reputation, and the artwork of this show doesn't do anything to change it. And second of all, this show just gets uncreatively repetitive. The show isn't groundbreaking by any means, but it does just enough to keep me watching it.

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord: B
    This show takes a concept that has been done over and over again leading to a show without much expectation for, but it ended up being a pleasant surprise. In particular, there;s the MC that isn't just a straight-up overpowered guy as it drew the line pretty well between the weak player and the overpowered avatar. And then there are the girls that have a lot more to offer than those from a typical harem. That said, this show still suffers from its reliance on cliches, all while the plot tends to get repetitive. Even so, it ended up being better than expected.

100 Sleeping Princes and the Kingdom of Dreams: C-
    This show is the standard otome game adaptation, which is not exactly a good thing. The story is just lacking and the animation quality is typical of this low-budget studio. Not to mention, it focused more on showcasing the pretty boys to the fujoshi fanbase than putting together a good story. But at the very least it was watchable as the lead is stronger than the typical otome game heroine, all while character development was decent making her more interesting than what boys in these kinds of shows usually are. It's pretty clear that there was a specific audience in mind when this show was made, and it does the job in catering to them. In the end, it's another generic otome game adaptation that at least does a few things better than than what most of these kinds of shows do.

Seven Senses of the Re'Union: C+
    This show has some great things going for it with its concept of combining Sword Art Online with Anohana, great character development, good drama, and an intriguing story. However, this show has some pretty major issues with pacing being the biggest one as it dragged out in the beginning, while rushing towards the end. That led to all sorts of consistency issues with the story. Also, the animation could have been better as Lerche is certainly capable of better things. In all, this felt like a show that needed two cours in order to make substantial progress, and that led to compromises being made in order to tell a complete story with just one cour to work with.

Harukana Receive: C+
    This is a solid sports show that does something different in that it is all about maintaining a positive outlook as opposed to dealing with frequent adversity that makes it different than the usual sports show. While the show does a nice job in developing the main characters, the supporting cast, not so much as it simply introduces them and then not really doing too much with them afterwards. And then there's the animation that just doesn't look crisp, and the show has long stretches of stuff that just feels dull. But in all, it was certainly a solid show to watch for the volleyball action and the whole friendship circle stuff going on.

Akkun to Kanojo: My Sweet Tyrant: C+
    Overall, this show is pretty much what I was expecting out of a short. It has fun characters, solid humor, and decent animation quality for a short, which made it worthwhile for its run length. The biggest issue this show has is its repetitive humor as the show just didn't have the variation all while relying on overplaying some of its cards. But in all, it's something that made it worth putting up for three minutes a week.

Asobi Asobase: B+
    Overall, this show is comedy gold doing an excellent job in not only making the jokes and stuff funny, but keeping it fresh, creative, and never going stale. The characters are a quirky bunch and are fitting for all the crazy stuff that goes on in this show. Just about the only issues I had with this show are the animation, which is not exactly for everybody, and there were a few of the segments where things just fell flat. In any case, this is certainly one of the best comedies out there.

One Room 2nd Season: D
    This season is pretty much more of the same as the first season in that watching this can be disturbing and make someone like me feel dumb with my actions in the show. That said, this season is a mild improvement over the first as the animation quality is better and the girls are less annoying than in the first season, but at the same time the I don't like that I'm still acting like a creep.

Encouragement of Climb Third Season: B
    This season pretty much continues to do all the things that made the second season so great in that it's character-focused and educational, all while providing lots of cute moments. While this season doesn't do as much mountain climbing as the second season, the theme has been to make memories, and it accomplished that in a big way this season. I didn't exactly like what happened towards the end of this season, but overall it still is every bit the enjoyable and relaxing show that it has always been.

*Cinderella Girls Theater season 3: C+
    Pretty much, everything that was good and not so good about the previous two seasons applies here as this was designed for those who enjoy the Cinderella Girls incarnation of this franchise. The characters are cute, the humor is nice and sometimes it's not, and having it be a short makes it easier to watch. Nothing stands out more positively or negatively compared to other seasons.

Free! Dive to the Future: B+
    Overall, this show continues to do all the great things that makes Free such a wonderful show with great characters, awesome development, amazing swimming action, and top-grade animation by KyoAni. Just about the only major fault I find with this series is that character development didn't leave as big an impact as it did in Eternal Summer as things just didn't go deep enough in comparison largely because of all the character shuffling going on. But that's understandable because of the number of new characters, and this show did a nice job at that in spite of this obstacle.

Steins;Gate 0: A
    This show continues to do everything that made the original season so great with well-rounded characters getting developed, great drama, intriguing mysteries, and a plot that was well laid out. Unlike the first season where it takes awhile to settle in, this one establishes itself much earlier so that the series would take off and get to the serious issues at hand in a more orderly fashion. That said this show kind of dropped the ball with the ending leaving things without much closure, all while not featuring Kurisu as she is what made the original series so great. In any case, it's a step down from the original series, but still a worthy successor on its own merits.

Happy Sugar Life: B-
    This show has a great concept that it stuck to well leading to some great drama, mystery, and character development as all of those made for an intriguing show. That said, this show is certainly not for everybody, and it was hindered by two major issues in the animation quality and the characters being so unlikable. In any case, this show set out to make the ultimate yandere, and it accomplished that making the show worthwhile to watch for the drama and romance more than anything.

Grand Blue: B+
    This show was fun to watch for the quirky characters, the humor, the scuba diving stuff, and the good times as every moment of the show was fun and enjoyable. That said, I felt that it went way too overboard with the crazy college life and drinking antics, all while the frequent stripping and crazy behavior wore on me seeing that it meant taking away the attention on scuba diving that should have gotten more focus than it did. But in all, the show certainly delivered on the comedy, all while doing a solid job with character development.

Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 3rd: C+
    While the overall product of this season is pretty much the same as the first two seasons, this show does a nice job in having things take a dark turn going to show that history wasn't so kind, all while things changed up quite a lot with the characters facing adversity for a change. Besides that, it's still has all the good and not-so-good things as previous seasons of this show in that the humor is nice, the characters are interesting, and the animation quality is what I have come to expect out of a short.

My Hero Academia season 3: A+
    This show continues to maintain the high standards set by the first two seasons as the storytelling continues to be great, the action is the highlight, the animation is top-notch, and the characters all continue to grow in tremendous ways. About the only complaint with this season is the placement of the filler episode. Aside from that, this show continues to really click on all cylinders.

Revue Starlight: B
    This show is entertaining to watch as it's strong with the visuals, soundtrack, drama, intriguing characters, and a grand concept that was nicely constructed. It's the duels where this show really stands out as being something by a director who learned under Kunihiko Ikuhara. However, the storywriting was inconsistent as it was weak in some areas all while some of the supporting characters didn't get developed enough. In all, this show does a great job with the technical aspects, but it was lacking with consistency in the storywriting as it is just inconsistent with some of it good, other parts not so much.

Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs: C+
    This show should be thought of as a guilty pleasure and when seen in that scope this show is certainly worthwhile. This show pretty much is a clichefest of stuff that makes up a typical harem show with a supernatural twist to it. But in all that, the show ends up being really entertaining as the comedy is good, the characters are great, and the supernatural stuff is all nicely handled. This show makes no effort whatsoever to craft a story, but it was focused on doing those other things, and it does them well enough.

Cells at Work!: A-
    This is one of the most educational anime shows out there as it's just great to watch for the characters, the antics, and above all I learned quite a lot about the human body watching this show. The show does an excellent job with the portrayal, and the characters are very interesting. The only major negative I can say about this show is that the quality of episodes are inconsistent across the board with some episodes standing out while some of them felt underwhelming. That said, it's a fun, feel-good time to watch, all while taking in the great educational value this show has.

Hanebado!: C+
    This show started off strong, but the show became all sorts of cringeworthy to watch in the second half with the direction of the character development that was questionable at best leading to some bad storywriting and characters becoming too unlikable to rally behind. But in the end, the show was still entertaining to watch for the badminton action and the intrigue that the characters brought out.

Overlord III: B+
    This season continues to do everything that made the first two seasons good and not so good. It as great animation, a strong story, and intriguing characters all-around, all while inconsistent pacing is what hurts this show the most. However, this season's direction was questionable as while it made for some great drama, at the same time it meant adding so many cringeworthy aspects. That said, while it does a great job in the MC's character development, at the same time it spends too much time away from him making him seemingly irrelevant. In any case, it's a story that just continues to build on itself, for better or worse.

FLCL Alternative: B
    This season is a huge improvement over Progressive as unlike with that season, this season is much more focused on accomplishing what it sets out to do in developing the characters and showcase the theme of growing up, and not littering the show with nonsensical randomness like Progressive. While the storywriting is good, it kind of gets away from what made the original season special by backing off on the supernatural aspect, and the show's appeal suffers from it. So in all this season does a solid job with storywriting and character development, but not so much with the supernatural aspects making it not that much different from a typical slice of life show.

Angels of Death: C+
    While this show has entertainment value, it greatly varied from episode to episode. The show has great drama, a nicely-done mystery, impactful suspense, solid animation, and intriguing characters. That said, this show gets decimated by its awful pacing, weak direction, roundabout plot, and cringeworthy moments with the characters, and in particular the sluggish pacing is something that's going to really push a viewer's patience to the limit. In all, it's solid entertainment with a good concept, but fails to reach its full potential because of the pacing and direction.

Continuing

Attack on Titan season 3: A+
    This show just keeps on delivering with the best arc of the series so far adapted very nicely. Above all, the growth of one of the characters is so well-done that she could even be a lead. In any case, this show does a great job taking titans mostly out of the equation and focus on fighting between humans, which was due at some point since it's not a simple matter of humanity surviving against the titans. And as usual, the action remains top-notch, and the story is full of well-executed drama.

Banana Fish: B+
    This show has does a great job with storytelling and drama, and it helps that the manga is all finished to allow for this to be adapted without any need to hold back. This show has been carried so far by the drama, the mystery, and the interesting characters, but one aspect that hasn't been up to snuff are the character relationships.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Summer 2018 Simulcast Rankings: July

Now that I have finished watching everything this season with Angels of Death running late, it's time I do my final leader board for the summer 2018 season. Same drill as usual, and the

Home Run
    Attack on Titan season 3
    My Hero Academia season 3
    Steins;Gate 0
    Cells at Work! (Promoted)

Base Hit
    Banana Fish
    Grand Blue
    Overlord III
    Free! Dive to the Future
    Asobi Asobase
    Encouragement of Climb Third Season
    Revue Starlight
    How Not to Summon a Demon Lord

Walk
    Happy Sugar Life
    Isekai Izakaya: Japanese Food From Another World
    Seven Senses of the Re'Union
    Harukana Receive
    Hanebado!
    My Sweet Tyrant
    Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 3rd
    Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
    Angels of Death

Flyout
    Dropkick On My Devil!
    Cinderella Girls Theater season 3
    100 Sleeping Princes and the Kingdom of Dreams

Strikeout
    One Room 2nd Season

Rising

Cells at Work! - The final two episodes were simply amazing as the guys at DavidPro really made it stand out.

Happy Sugar Life - The ending was nicely done as it did justice to everything that has happened when it looked like they could have gone the easy way out instead.

Attack on Titan season 3 - This first half ended with quite a bang as big things went down that will shake everything.

Falling

Steins;Gate 0 - The ending just felt incomplete. Everything had been perfect up until that point.

Hanebado! - Ayano's character transformation was just depressing and cringeworthy to watch, and that's the result of bad writing down the stretch.

Angels of Death - Simply put, the show has been plagued by slow pacing, and the special puts that on full display.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-Simulcast Report: September 16-30

With a few shows finishing up late that I'm starting my end-of-the-season reviews with the final post-simulcast report as I can write about those now, whereas I have to wait until the season finishes to do the final leader board and simulcast reviews post, and with Angels of Death finishing a month after the season that it's going to be awhile before those happen. I guess I can do the leader board after everything but Angels of Death finishes up. Anyway, I'm listing all of my finished shows with grades, but no reviews for those shows in this post.

* Indicates a season simulcast that I just finished
    ^ Indicates a show that is being rewatched

Completed

^Ranma 1/2 Movie 2: Nihao My Concubine: C
    While Ranma is a great series, the second movie was pretty lackluster. The story concept just didn't click and the movie lacked depth that the first movie has. It still is enjoyable for the action and the bizarreness that Ranma is known for, but it just didn't resonate as well as it could.

*Dropkick On My Devil!: C

*How Not to Summon a Demon Lord: B

*100 Sleeping Princes and the Kingdom of Dreams: C-

*Seven Senses of the Re'Union: C+

^Aokana: Four Rhythm Across the Blue: B

This show can be summed up as a tale of two halfs as the first half was rather lackluster with weak storytelling and a plot that left plenty to be desired. But the second half this show improves by leaps and bounds as the character development is unbelievable, the FC action is great, and the ending is simply amazing. In all, it's a good sports show that would have been even better had it been animated by a more reputable studio as while Gonzo did an admirable job with the animation, they still show why they are a has-been studio.

*Harukana Receive: C+

*Akkun to Kanojo: My Sweet Tyrant: C+

Children of the Whales: B-
    For the first nine episode, this show absolutely nailed it with great animation, an intriguing story, and great story development. However, the biggest issue is pacing as the beginning was slow, and it felt like the animators intended to have the main conflict end the story rather than be settled in episode nine. The las three episodes just feel rushed and incomplete as a new arc should not have started to end the series. So while aesthetically great, this show just had poor structure leading to a show that felt too unpolished for it to work.

*Cinderella Girls Theater season 3: C+

*Free! Dive to the Future: B+

*Steins;Gate 0: A

Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan: B+
    Mari Okada had been in a slump, but with this show she gets back to doing what she does best and combined with stellar animation from Bones, this makes for an entertaining show. It has a nice concept, some interesting characters, and a nice plot twist there at the end to make for a good show to watch. That said, this show has some serious issues with the story structure as some of the characters were left underdeveloped in the end all while the ending just left too many things unsettled.

Flavors of Youth: B-
    This movie is all about appreciating life for what it is, and it does a solid job with storytelling and engaging the viewers with some troubles in life. While the first and third stories were strong, the second one felt really lacking. In all, it's another find job by Comix Wave as they continue to do what they do best with emphasizing all the nuances in life. It just felt underwhelming compared to what they usually put out.

*Happy Sugar Life: B-

*Grand Blue: B+

*Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 3rd: C+

Fate/Extra: Last Encore: C
    This show is just a storytelling mess as it's so hard to understand what is going on. Not to mention, this show just likes to be roundabout not really getting to the point when it is needed. In addition, the characters just lack the appeal that the other Fate series has going for them. That said, this show excels with the Shaft-style animation that sets the mood well, all while some of the episodes were nicely written like the ones involving Nursery Rhyme and Nero's previous master. But it's just too inconsistent leading to a highly flawed product.

*My Hero Academia season 3: A+

*Revue Starlight: B

*Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs: C+

*Cells at Work!: A-

^Ranma 1/2 Movie 3: B
    This just feels like another typical Ranma 1/2 episode as the only thing different is the screen ratio. It's a pretty entertaining movie with several dramatic moments given its run length.

^Ranma 1/2 OVA (4-11): A-
    This is where Ranma is at its best as the OVAs are high-quality productions. The episodes are far more entertaining than a typical TV series episode, all while several crazy moments really stand out.

*Hanebado!: C+

Ongoing

[FCB-4] Future Card Buddyfight X (31-37)
    [HXH] Hunter x Hunter 2011 (109-111)
    [JUP] Last Hope (7-13)
    [NAR-S] Naruto Shippuden (215-222)
    [OPC] One Piece (569-574)
    [PKM-SM] Pokemon Sun and Moon (61-68)

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied
    First Impressions

New For Summer 2018:

The first number and icon is the number of spots and direction the series moved on the given ranking. The second is the number and direction of possible grades it moved. The former is obviously only relative to the other series around it, and the latter may show a movement of "00" even if my opinion of it did go up or down, if it wasn't enough to change the grade.

00► 00► 01. Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen (A)
    00► 00► 02. Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 (A-)
    01▲ 01▲ 03. Grand Blue (B+)
    01▼ 00► 04. Overlord III (B+)
    03▲ 02▲ 05. Asobi Asobase (B+)
    00► 00► 06. Banana Fish (B)
    00► 00► 07. Hataraku Saibou (B)
    03▼ 01▼ 08. Free!: Dive to the Future (B-)

Dropped:

00► 01▼ 09. Hanebado! (C+) 8 episodes

Everything that Ended:

01. Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen (A)
    02. Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season (A-)
    03. Steins;Gate 0 (A-)
    04. Grand Blue (B+)
    05. Lupin III: Part 5 (B+)
    06. Overlord III (B+)
    07. Asobi Asobase (B+)
    08. Hataraku Saibou (B)
    09. Free!: Dive to the Future (B-)

Dropped:

10. Hanebado! (C+)

Everything I'm Watching:

01▲ 00► 01. Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen (A)
    01▲ 01▼ 02. Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season (A-)
    02▼ 01▼ 03. Steins;Gate 0 (A-) Plus SimulDub
    00► 00► 04. Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 (A-)
    00► 00► 05. One Piece (A-)
    02▲ 01▲ 06. Grand Blue (B+)
    01▼ 00► 07. Detective Conan (B+)
    02▲ 01▲ 08. Lupin III: Part 5 (B+)
    02▼ 00► 09. Overlord III (B+)
    03▲ 02▲ 10. Asobi Asobase (B+)
    00► 00► 11. Banana Fish (B)
    00► 00► 12. Hataraku Saibou (B)
    04▼ 01▼ 13. Free!: Dive to the Future (B-)

Dropped:

00► 01▼ 14. Hanebado! (C+)

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (3): Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen - Kouhan-sen, Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3, Asobi Asobase
    Monday (1): Steins;Gate 0 (SimulDub)
    Tuesday (2): Lupin III: Part 5, Overlord III
    Wednesday (2): Steins;Gate 0, Free!: Dive to the Future
    Thursday (1): Banana Fish
    Friday (1): Grand Blue
    Saturday (4): Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season, One Piece, Detective Conan, Hataraku Saibou
    Last edited by GingaDaiuchuu; 10-08-2018, 05:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-Simulcast Report: September 1-15

A half month more in the books, and more shows for me to watch and review. This is the second to last one of the season, which includes the first completed show, but one I won't be reviewing until the end of the season. Anyway, not much to review this time around as I have been focusing on watching a couple of long series.

Completed

^Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (1-12, OVA): B+
    This is a show that takes awhile to get going, but once it does, it really takes off with the grim nature of this show and the tremendous character development that goes on through this gloomy fantasy show. This show definitely stands out in that unlike several other isekai shows, these guys are very weak at the beginning and they need to really work hard in order to make it through, which in itself makes for a much more interesting show than the average isekai. Add in great animation and an amazing soundtrack, and this show is a winner. About the only bad things about this show are the slow pacing, especially at the start, and Ranta is one of the most annoying characters I have ever come across.

*Isekai Izakaya: Japanese Food From Another World: B-

^Ranma 1/2: Big Trouble in Neckonron China (Movie 1): B
    The movies aren't exactly the finest hour for Ranma, but the first movie is by far the best of the three. This is what introduced me to anime as this movie was my first bona fide movie experience, and I remember it quite fondly for the fights, the crazy story, and the comedy. All of that is wrapped into one very nice package in this movie as it does a nice job in doing what the show does best.

Ongoing

^[A4R] Aokana: Four Rhythm Across the Blue (1-4)
    [DBZ-S] Dragon Ball Super (31-41)
    [HXH] Hunter x Hunter (107-108)
    [NAR-S] Naruto Shippuden (209-214)
    [OPC] One Piece (551-568)
    [JUP] Unit Pandora: Last Hope (1-6)

And JSYK, I have subscribed to Netflix, so I will be binging on several of their shows over the next month with a lot of new shows out now. I have quite a backlog with a bunch of new shows coming since early April when my previous subscription ended.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Summer 2018 Simulcast Rankings: August

Before too much time passes (which has already happened) since the end of August, I need to do these rankings for the second month. Everything is the same as usual, so I don't need to explain it.

Home Run
    Steins;Gate 0
    Attack on Titan season 3

Base Hit
    Cells at Work!
    Banana Fish
    Overlord III
    Free! Dive to the Future
    Asobi Asobase
    Grand Blue
    Revue Starlight
    How Not to Summon a Demon Lord (Promoted)

Walk
    Hanebado! (Demoted)
    Happy Sugar Life
    My Sweet Tyrant
    Angels of Death
    Harukana Receive

Flyout
    Dropkick On My Devil!

Strikeout
    One Room 2nd Season

Not much movement from July as only one show really made the rise and one show fell down, but for the most part shows remained the same.

Rising

How to Summon a Demon Lord - This is the only big riser from the second month as this show does well against expectations of being just another one of those isekai harems. They could have taken the easy way out by having the MC simply overpower everything, but it makes a clear distinction between the demon lord character and the player as while the character is overpowered, the player is weak. That aspect is nicely played in these episodes

Attack on Titan season 3 - These episodes take a break from the action to emphasize the conspiracy aspect going on, and it leads to some awesome development and drama.

Harukana Receive - The show does a nice job in building characters and bonds, and these episodes especially do the job at that. I like that show does an intuitive job in putting a chip on everybody's shoulder so that they would all be on equal terms in the emotional department even if they are not on the skill department.

Falling

Hanebado! - This is the only show that really took a hit in the recent episodes as Ayano's character simply gets destroyed here, and in a badly-done way. While characters face adversity all the time, I just didn't like the way her development is getting handled.

Grand Blue - This has more to do with the fact that the show just continues to do the same things over and over again, all while not doing much towards the show's premise with scuba diving. It still continues to be a fun show, and the episodes are still nice to watch, but at some point it needs to focus on scuba diving, which it doesn't do much in these episodes.

My Hero Academia season 3 - Again, it's not that these episodes are bad, but it's slight drop has to do with the poorly-placed filler episode that should have happened before the start of the latest arc, not in the middle of the second exam phase. That said, these episodes just didn't leave the impact the rest of the series does, but it's still all great.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-Simulcast Report: August 16-31

It's onto September, so now I'm reporting what I watched to end August.

Completed

In This Corner of the World (movie): A
    This movie is a nice emotional roller coaster all going to show how tough it was to live in Japan during the war, all while going to show that is its possible to live well through these tough times, and character development is simply tremendous. The animators came in with a purpose and they did their homework to accurately portray life during these tough times of WWII, and it made for a great product.

The Cat Returns (movie): B+
    This movie is another find product out of Studio Ghibli that captures all the core elements nicely that made the studio legendary. The movie focuses on characters becoming headstrong in the face of unforeseen circumstances, which is the basis for why Ghibli films are great, and it's a nicely-told film. The character development was a little on the weak side, but in the end it's a great film to watch for the strong storytelling.

^Chihayafuru 2 (1-25): A-
    This season continues do maintain the high standards of storytelling that the first season set the bar for. This show is better than the first season in some ways and not so good in other ways as while the character development takes a tremendous step forward in this season, this show suffers from slow pacing as half of the show took place during a single tournament. That said, the character development was all sorts of amazing, which made it fine that the show took its time.

One Piece Film: Gold (movie): B+
    This is another typical Shonen Jump movie to a long series, and it does an excellent job at capturing the spirit of the TV series, all while the animation is great, a far cry from how it has been lately for the TV series, and the storytelling is all sorts of entertaining. This show does an especially great job with the drama aspect as it contains a number of well-executed twists to make for a worthwhile movie.

^The Perfect Insider (1-11): B
    This is a show that's very narrowly focused as it puts all of its eggs in the mystery basket, while sacrificing a lot of other aspects like character development and plot. It's a show that's not easy to understand as there are lots of explanations going on, but one where the twists, turns, and drama all make for an entertaining series. It does an excellent job in the mystery component making the situation not appear what it seems, all while the animation does a nice job to support the atmosphere.

Ongoing

[DBZ-S] Dragon Ball Super (26-30)
    [HXH] Hunter x Hunter (101-106)
    [OPC] One Piece (538-550)
    [NAR-S] Naruto Shippuden (204-208)
    [PKM-SM] Pokemon Sun and Moon (58-60)

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-Simulcast Report: August 1-15

And now, it's time for another post-simulcast report that covers the first half of August. I'm behind a bit, but this one is short.

Completed

Squid Girl (1-12): B-
    This show does a nice job with the comedy and the characters are really something in this show. While it was a fun time to be had, things tended to get repetitive, and some jokes get overplayed too much. But in all, it's a solid comedy with plenty of fresh material to make this show go.

Squid Girl season 2 (1-12, OVA): B-
    This season is more of the same from the first season, and while the comedy is better, this show does just about nothing to advance the story whereas the first season kind of did that. But in all, this season is a worthwhile sequel that continues to be great in the comedy department.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (35-48): B+
    This show continues to deliver with interesting characters, great action, and an intriguing storyline. However, most of Stardust Crusaders ended being repetitive with the whole villain-of-the-week format that led to some pretty underwhelming character development and buildup. But what it lacks in storytelling, it more than makes up with some awesome fights going to show that it's another worthy entry to this franchise. And while the buildup had me losing interest, the showdown with Dio at the end was simply amazing to make for a satisfying series overall.

Ongoing

[DBZ-S] Dragon Ball Super (21-25)
    [HXH] Hunter x Hunter (98-100)
    [PKM-SM] Pokemon Sun and Moon (55-57)

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Summer 2018: Finalized Watchlist

My watchlist had mostly been figured out, but the final shows that took awhile to figure out. In the end, I decided that I'll just keep all three of those borderline shows that got extended trial periods seeing that I did increase my limit. So in the end, that's 19 shows with full-length episodes and six shorts (two with half-length episode and four with episodes under five minutes). I'm going to do things a little different this time around as I'll only be listing the shows that I am watching and instead of listing everything that was dropped, I'll only list the shows that just missed the cut.

Watching
    • My Hero Academia season 3 (continuing)
    • Steins;Gate 0 (continuing)
    • Attack on Titan season 3 (sequel)
    • Free! Dive to the Future (sequel)
    • Overlord III (sequel)
    • Banana Fish
    • Seven Senses of the Re'Union
    • Cells at Work!
    • Hanebado!
    • Grand Blue Dreaming
    • Revue Starlight
    • Dropkick on My Devil!
    • Asobi Asobase
    • How Not to Summon a Demon Lord
    • Happy Sugar Life
    • 100 Sleeping Princess and the Kingdom of Dreams
    • Angels of Death
    • Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
    • Harukana Receive
    • Isekai Isekaya: Japanese Food From Another World (short)
    • Encouragement of Climb Third Season (short)
    • Akkun to Kanojo: My Sweet Tyrant (short)
    • The Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls Theater season 3 (short)
    • Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 3rd (short)
    • One Room 2nd season (short)
    First Shows Out
    • Sirius the Jaeger
    • Chio's School Road
    • Island
    Week at a Glance
    Sunday (3): Asobi Asobase, Hanebado!, Attack on Titan
    Monday (3/1): Dropkick, One Room, Encouragement of Climb
    Tuesday (2/1): Cinderella Girls Theater, Overlord
    Wednesday (2): Free!, Steins;Gate 0
    Thursday (5/4): Demon Lord, 100 Sleeping Princes, Seven Senses, Banana Fish, Isekai Izakaya
    Friday (6/4): Angels of Death, Harukana Receive, My Sweet Tyrant, Ninja Girl, Happy Sugar Life, Grand Blue
    Saturday (4): My Hero Academia, Revue Starlight, Yuuna, Cells at Work!

Thursdays through Sundays are all pretty heavy, while Mondays through Wednesdays are pretty light. As usual, I'll explain my process of arriving at this watchlist in another post.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-Simulcast Report: July 16-31

Here is my second post-simulcast report of the summer season, and I want to get that out of the way before I can't easily access my history on MAL. Once again, I list everything I watched during the latter half of July

Completed

^Space Patrol Luluco (1-12): B
    This is one of the best short-format series out there as it does a great job in utilizing Trigger's works to produce a show that's wild and entertaining. The show has a pretty solid story for a short, all while the crazy nature of the show really makes this show click. Just about the only major issues with this show is that things can get repetitive and its reliance on gimmicks.

Brynhildr in the Darkness (1-13, OVA): C+
    This show had plenty of potential to be an emotional roller coaster as it has a solid foundation and a good premise. However, the execution is another matter entirely as Arms shows why they are such an incompetent studio. While the emotional aspects are nicely handled, the storywriting is sloppy opting to do lots of silly stuff and emphasizing fanservice at inappropriate times, all while the buildup made for a weak finale. That said, it still has entertainment value as a drama.

Ongoing

[HXH] Hunter x Hunter (93-97)
    [JBA-SC] Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (31-35)
    [OPC] One Piece (528-537)

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Summer 2018: First Impressions

Alright, it's almost the halfway point of the season, and I still haven't done my first impressions as there are a few shows with some really late starts, all while life got in the way. I'll keep it short and get straight to my impressions: First tier the show is either in or likely in, second tier is 50-50, and the last tier I have dropped or if not, I plan to do so barring the unexpected upturn. Since almost all the shows are nearly halfway in that I'll try and keep the impressions to the first one or two episodes, and their positions are reflective of where they were when I got through episode two.

Red Zone
    My Hero Academia season 3 - Continuing from the spring
    Steins;Gate 0 - Continuing from the spring
    Attack on Titan season 3 - This show picks up right where the last one left off, and the storytelling stays up to par.
    Free! Dive to the Future - This show has been doing a nice job in introducing the new characters. With the way season 2 ended, season 3 has a tough act to follow, and so far it has been doing its job.
    Overlord III - This show picks up nicely where it left off despite, and it continues to do everything that made this show so good.
    Banana Fish - The storytelling has just been full of intrigue leading to a show that has plenty of great things going for it.
    Cells at Work! - Fun, educational, and humorous. Pretty much, this show is designed to be smart and educational, and that made for some great enjoyment.
    Grand Blue Dreaming - This show is about scuba diving, and this show does a great job with the comedy and being wild and crazy. That said, this show seems to be overdoing things.
    Hanebado! - The atmosphere of this show is so intense leading to a nicely-constructed story thus far. The characters all have issues that lead to some pretty intriguing stuff.
    Seven Senses of the Re'Union - This show combines elements of SAO and Anohana together, and for the most part the results are mediocre as it's bogged down by subpar animation and lack of complexity. However, the story has lots of intrigue and some great entertainment value to it to make it worthwhile.
    Isekai Izakaya: Japanese Food From Another World (short) - Continuing from the spring
    My Sweet Tyrant (short) - Continuing from the spring
    Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 3rd (short) - Continuing from the spring
    Encouragemet of Climb 3rd Season (short) - Seeing that this show is now at a time where the weather isn't as ideal for hiking, this show is doing a nice job in building relationships and doing more stuff about school life, and it's working.
    The Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls Theater - It's more of the season from the first two seasons, and I must say that this season is weaker than the previous two.
    One Room 2nd Season (short) - The first season was an abomination, but this season is an improvement as the animation quality is better, and the MC (i.e. me) is making more sensible decisions than in the first season.

Midfield
    Revue Starlight - This show is Utena mixed with Kaleido Star, and this is a show that brings an awful lot of mystery and intrigue, as well as the potential for a lot of character development.
    Asobi Asobase - The show has been great at comedy, and doing so while keeping things fresh. That said, the animation is something that won't be for everybody.
    How Not to Summon a Demon Lord - While it's another one of those isekai shows with the cliched elements of an OP MC and a bunch of girls, this one manages to be enjoyable and well-adapted from the source material opting to prioritize humor and sensibility over fanservice. What this show does well is to differentiate between the player and the avatar as while the avatar is OP, the player is actually weak.
    Chio's School Road - The show is funny, but at the same time it's very repetitive to the point where just seeing it once means I have seen it all.
    100 Sleeping Princes and the Kingdom of Dreams - This show is pretty much what I came to expect out of something adapted from an otome smartphone game. While the story lacks spark, it does have some interesting bits and pieces, all while the MC is one of the better ones for a show of this kind. That said, it still falls into many of the traps shows like these tend to fall into.
    Happy Sugar Life - This show does a nice job in making characters unlike anything in the usual show as the MC is a villain doing all sorts of evil deeds to preserve her yuri relationship. While it's not something that everybody can approve of, it makes for an interesting show.
    Angels of Death - This is pretty much like a puzzle game, and while the suspense is great, the story just feels flat.
    Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs - This show takes a lot of cliches and other generic stuff that harems typically have. But this show turns that into something highly entertaining and enjoyable for those who love these kinds of shows.
    Harukana Receive - It's a fanservicey show about girls playing beach volleyball in their skimpy outfits, but what I like about this show is the way the characters are developing relationships with each other.
    Dropkick on My Devil - It's funny and worthwhile to watch for all the characters and their crazy antics.
    Holmes of Kyoto - The show has some fun mysteries to deal with, all while the MC is such a great guy. But those things alone aren't going to elevate a show that's lacking in animation quality and follows a mystery-of-the-week format.
    Island - This has a good, solid foundation with the mystery aspect to it. That said, the storytelling has been inconsistent as while some of it is great, a lot of it is irritating.

Own 20
    Sirius the Jaeger - This show has done a nice job with the action and the storytelling as P.A. Works delivers again with their top-notch animation quality. But with Netflix not simulcasting it that it goes on hold.
    High Score Girl - This show does a nice job in reminding me of what life was like in the 90's in regards to video games. That said, the ugly artwork and the tendency to get repetitive can put other people off.
    Miss Caretaker of Sunohara-sou - The show has been a solid, heartwarming comedy. The antics of the characters, however, can get really irritating. That said, this show doesn't make it because it somehow isn't being streamed anywhere.
    Angolmois - This show does a solid job in storytelling and character development all while going to show that societies need to evolve seeing that the Mongols are no ordinary enemies. Whiel that is good, what's off-putting are the animation and the story direction.
    Planet With - This show does a lot of bizarre and dumb things making it worth watching just to experience some dumb fun. But that's just about the only reason to watch it as it offers very little beyond that.
    We Rent Tsukumogami - While the show had a solid atmosphere to it, the show just lacks anything that stands out, all while it takes a rinse-and-repeat approach from the look of things.
    Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues - Seeing that I came in not having watched Kaiji that I didn't find this show appealing. That said, things were just happening and it was all over the place making it too hard to follow.
    Phantom in the Twilight - It's a mildly entertaining show with decent action, but doesn't have much of a story to it all while the characters are just not getting settled in.
    Lord of Vermillion: The Crimson King - This show is pretty dull, and stuff just simply happens without much explaining or elaboration to it. It's pretty clear that it was made to advertise more than anything.
    The Master of Ragnarok and Blesser of Einherjar - This show is simply generic and messy. There are ways that a cliched harem can be worthwhile, but this show does nothing towards that end.
    Music Girls - Idol shows are just everywhere these days, and this one is a great example of how not to make one. There's no plot, the girls are unappealing, and stuff just happens without any connecting or charm to it.
    The Thousand Musketeers - It's pretty much a carbon copy of Touken Ranbu replacing the swords with guns, and it has none of the great comedy or action that the two series have going for them. I was just bored to death by this.
    Aguu: Genius Dolls - Horror just isn't my thing, and this show continues to show why I don't care about it.

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied
    New For Summer 2018:

01. Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen 2 (A)
    02. Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 (A-)
    03. Overlord III (B+)
    04. Grand Blue (B)
    05. Free!: Dive to the Future (B)
    06. Banana Fish (B)
    07. Hataraku Saibou (TV) (B)
    08. Asobi Asobase (B-)
    09. Hanebado! (B-)

Dropped:

10. Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu (C+) 3 episodes
    11. Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight (C+) 4 episodes
    12. Satsuriku no Tenshi (C) 3 episodes

Everything I'm Watching:

01. Steins;Gate 0 (A) Plus SimulDub
    02. Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen 2 (A)
    03. Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season (A)
    04. Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 (A-)
    05. One Piece (A-)
    06. Detective Conan (B+)
    07. Overlord III (B+)
    08. Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2202: Ai no Senshi-tachi (B)
    09. Grand Blue (B)
    10. Free!: Dive to the Future (B)
    11. Lupin III: Part 5 (B)
    12. Banana Fish (B)
    13. Hataraku Saibou (TV) (B)
    14. Asobi Asobase (B-)
    15. Hanebado! (B-)

Dropped:

16. Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu (C+)
    17. Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight (C+)
    18. Satsuriku no Tenshi (C)

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (4): Gintama.: Shirogane no Tamashii-hen 2, Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3, Asobi Asobase, Hanebado!
    Monday (1): Steins;Gate 0 (SimulDub)
    Tuesday (2): Overlord III, Lupin III: Part 5
    Wednesday (3): Steins;Gate 0, Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2202: Ai no Senshi-tachi, Free!: Dive to the Future
    Thursday (1): Banana Fish
    Friday (1): Grand Blue
    Saturday (4): Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season, One Piece, Detective Conan, Hataraku Saibou (TV)
    Last edited by GingaDaiuchuu; 08-25-2018, 11:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Summer 2018 Simulcast Rankings: July

Before I forget, I need to do my first leader board for the season. Between making a trip to Canada and the fact that a few shows are getting really late starts, it slipped out of my mind and with so many other posts in this thread I need to write, I need to at least get this one out before watching more episodes influences my opinion. The procedures are the same: baseball terminology for tier names, only content shown this season is reflected in the rankings for multiple cour shows (hence leading to a grade that's possibly not reflective of its position), shows I'm watching in black, shows I'm dropping in red, and shows I'm still making a decision on in blue. All shows I checked out are part of this, and those dropped shows won't be in the subsequent leader boards. Since Muhyo and Roji didn't start until August that this show is not part of the rankings, and will only take part in the subsequent ones if it makes my watchlist. So with that, onto the first rankings of the season.

Home Run
    Steins;Gate 0
    Attack on Titan season 3

Base Hit
    Cells at Work!
    Overlord III
    Sirius the Jaeger
    Grand Blue
    Banana Fish
    Free! Dive to the Future
    Hanebado!
    Asobi Asobase
    Revue Starlight

Walk
    How Not to Summon a Demon Lord
    High Score Girl
    Happy Sugar Life
    Angels of Death
    Angolmois: Record of Mongol Invasion
    My Sweet Tyrant
    Harukana Receive

Chio's School Road

Flyout
    Miss Caretaker of Sunohara-sou
    Planet With
    Island
    We Rent Tsukumogami

Dropkick On My Devil!
    Holmes of Kyoto
    Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues
    Phantom in the Twilight
    Back Street Girls

Strikeout
    Music Girls
    One Room 2nd Season
    Lord of Vermillion: The Crimson King
    The Master of Ragnarok and Blesser of Einherjar
    The Thousand Musketeers
    Aguu: Genius Dolls

This is shaping up to be a pretty weak season, but of course even in a season like this there are always good shows to be found, as well as bad shows that I still enjoy. But if anything, it helped narrowed down my watchlist between that and the fact that a large number of shows aren't streaming, whether it be because of Netflix or the show simply wasn't picked up by anybody for some unknown reason. Anyway, I have pretty much settled on my watchlist for the season with 16 standard length shows and six shorts (all of them either being continuing shows or sequels) locked in, and the last two spots are going to either Angels of Death, Harukana Receive, or Yuuna, with the possibility that all three make it as I guess I can squeeze one more show in.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-Simulcast Report: July 1-15

Before things get too out of hand, I'm doing my first post-simulcast report of the season. Things are about to get hectic starting this weekend, so I want to get one thing out of the way seeing that waiting would mean having to dig deep to find my watching history on MAL.

Completed

Calamity of a Zombie Girl (special): C-
    This special had the potential to be worthwhile, but this special has a laundry list of problems. First of all, the animation goes to show just how much of an afterthought Gonzo has become.

*Darling in the FranXX: B+

*FLCL Progressive: C+

^Food Wars! The Second Plate (1-13): A+
    This show keeps on doing what makes Food Wars so great with excellent cooking action, likable characters, and amazing drama, all while making the show catchy in every way. The direction is especially great during the end of the Autumn Elections arc going to show that it's all about the journey and not the destination.

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled (1-5): B
    After an amazing TV series, here comes a spinoff that take place between the two seasons, and while this show is underwhelming, it is worthwhile to watch. Akito just is nowhere near Lelouch's level and that puts a damper on this spinoff. But this show continues to do what the TV series does well with the action aspect and it does a solid job with the story. The drama was nicely done as well. It's just that the story was a bit too hard to follow all while the character development felt underwhelming.

Continuing

[DBZ-S] Dragon Ball Super (1-20)
    [NAR-S] Naruto Shippuden (202-203)
    [OPC] One Piece (517-527)

Leave a comment:

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Working...