X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2018] Phantom in the Twilight Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ファントム イン ザ トワイライト

A show about a Chinese girl traveling to London and help a bunch of pretty boys take down phantoms.

Airs: Monday, July 9, 2018

Studio: Liden Films

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Set in modern day London, the story takes place in a world where "Shadows" are born from human fear and anxiety. A young girl arrives to study abroad, only to be caught in a bizarre incident as she enters university. In a city with no acquaintances, the helpless girl wanders into "Caf? Forbidden," a mysterious caf? that exclusively opens at midnight. She meets an assortment of handsome men employed at the caf?, where guardians who protect the boundary between humans and shadow convene.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Fukaziroh, Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
    Watching: Chihayafuru 2, Perfect Insider, DB Super, One Piece, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Getting back what belongs to her.

So it begins with Ton arriving from China to London with her friend, and right away she gets into trouble as she gets robbed by some goblins that leads her to a place her great grandmother frequently visited. There she meets the pretty boys who run this place, and they help her get everything back after she awakens some mysterious power as while these boys have been through this before, they underestimated this enemy. Well, it was a decent enough start to keep me going for now, and at least it got my interest here, but at the same time that was just rushed and not exactly settling into things.

So as always, the usual trial rules apply. I will take on one Monday show given that the day's lineup is weak once again, so all that needs to happen is for this to be better than Dropkick on My Devil! and Holmes of Kyoto, but so far after the first episode this one is clearly at the bottom between those three. But again, I'm giving it another chance to prove itself before writing it off completely.
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Working from the shadows.

So those boys aren't humans, but shadowy beings called Umbras created out of human fear. Shinyao gets herself kidnapped, and as with any impulsive character would do, Ton goes charging in not realizing that it could just be a trap. But alas, her recklessness gets the better of her, and it was Wayne coming to the rescue after first appearing as a smartphone app before appearing as a young boy with a mannequin body. I can't exactly tell if that was brave or just plain reckless as she's bound to get herself into a lot of trouble if she keeps this up.

I guess I'll give it one more episode, but it's quickly falling out of favor with me as this show just doesn't feel like it's for me. Certainly, the first two shows haven't done much to change that opinion.

Comment

Episode 3

Hey bro, it's possible to coexist.

With Shinyao with Chris, Luke goes out and takes him on as fellow brothers with differing viewpoints. Chris is just doing a job here, all while he absolutely can't stand humans, but Luke is out to change that with the battle. But it gets interrupted, but Ton and Tauryu come to the rescue so that those bros can continue their fight, but it didn't end as Chris took Shinyao away. Alright, I can see where this was supposed to go, but this thing just keeps dragging on as I was expecting to see Chris and Luke make up, but that was not meant to be, at least not yet.

So it's pretty clear that this show isn't going to stick, but I might watch one more just to see this part come to an end before bailing. It's a distant third behind Dropkick and Holmes for the one Monday slot, but seeing that I don't like leaving a show after an episode ends like this that I might just go one more episode. In any case, it was what I was expecting, which for this kind of show is not good.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X