X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2018] Revue Starlight Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    少女☆歌劇 レヴュー・スタァライト

A show about a girls theater troupe. Two girls practice hard hoping to make it to the world-famous troupe to fulfill a promise.

Airs: Thursday, July 12, 2018

Studio: Kinema Citrus

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    HIDIVE

Starlight is a song and dance revue troupe loved throughout the world. Karen and Hikari make a promise with each other when they're young that one day they'll stand on that stage together. Time passes, and now the girls are 16 years old. Karen is very enthusiastic about the lessons she takes every day, holding her promise close to her heart. Hikari has transferred schools and is now away from Karen. But the cogs of fate turn, and the two are destined to meet again. The girls and other Stage Girls will compete in a mysterious audition process to gain acceptance into the revue.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Ochaco Uraraka, My Hero Academia
    Watching: Unit Pandora, Children of the Whales, Aokana, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Take the stage.

This show certainly reminds me of Kaleido Star as it begins in somewhat of a similar fashion as just like with Sora, Karen is aiming to be the top performer and join the elite theatrical troupe after being impressed by them in her childhood days. However, the motivation for doing so is a bit different as it's to fulfill a promise between friends that haven't seen each other for 12 years. Karen isn't exactly the best student being late almost all the time, all while she has the tendency to annoy other people, but her dedication is great. And then Hikari comes back after spending 12 years in England and she came back as someone who isn't exactly the most friendly of people. Then things just got totally weird there at the end with that underground theater, talking giraffe, and Hikari fighting on the stage as part of the auditions for the Starlight troupe. Pretty nice visuals there with that play.

So with that, the usual trial rules apply. A third Saturday show is guaranteed, and so far it's looking promising to take that spot (though it's not out of the possibility I go with four, but at least three will make it between four shows). Being reminded of Kaleido Star certainly is a huge plus.
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Very much on the fence about this one. It's rather fabulous, but it remains to be seen whether it captures me on a level beyond spectacle, and that will determine whether it's sustainable enough to be worth continuing. Not a bad first impression once it got to its big climax, though.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Does she really belong on the stage?

It's no wonder I get that Utena feeling when Karen is dueling on the stage as this show is directed by Tomohiro Furukawa, who learned under Kunihiko Ikuhara. As such, these auditions work just like those rose bride duels where the objective is to knock off the hanging coat. The person Karen duels is somebody who she is close to who sees her as a nuisance in one way or another, and after the duel the defeated person realizes that she's missing something that Karen has. This person is Junna, and she has been studying and practicing as if her life depended on it, and that leads her to collapsing and questioning Karen's place, but she finally saw it after being defeated in a duel. Next time, it looks like it will be Tendo's turn to duel Karen, and she's going to be a tough opponent knowing that she and Claudine are the favorites to be the top star of the stage.

So with that, the trial continues and while it wasn't as strong as the first episode, I still like the direction the show is going.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Yeah, I did have to check to make sure Ikuhara didn't have any involvement in this, as it does echo his style quite a bit. So far I do like it more than Yuri Kuma Arashi, though, so that's good. Still kinda on the fence, but I think it's probably a keeper. Definitely a lot to reveal about its true intentions.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Only one can be the Top Star.

The Revue of Pride and Arrogance is a pretty accurate portrayal here as everybody involved in this duel has that, none more so than Maya as she had been at it and earned her stripes unlike with Karen. As such, the duel doesn't end well for Karen going to show just how much of a difference there is between them. While that's happening, there's Claudine and Futaba dueling, and Claudine and Maya both show why they are the favorites to be the Top Star. Hikari knew that the outcome was not going to be good and tried to stop Karen from heading to the audition, but Karen just couldn't be contained, and now she has suffered a huge setback.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Every time I think I'm done with this show, it manages to bump itself up just barely enough to squeeze by for another week. I hope that it can improve a little more substantially, so I won't have to keep wondering if I should drop it. Much of each episode is somewhat difficult to care about and the episodes each overall follow a very repetitive formula, but once they get to those scenes, I can't help but be captivated by the spectacle. So yeah, a lot like an Ikuhara show, which are hit or miss for me. We'll see...
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

Remember the promise.

So after a crushing defeat to Maya, Hikari has left campus and Karen goes out to the city to find her violating school rules in the process. After chasing her around town missing her at the aquarium, they meet at Tokyo Tower where Hikari is letting her know that while she remembered the promise, she went to the wrong stage to make it happen. There's nothing like leaving the school to finally get back on track mentally seeing that it's a tough road to the top. Her friends sure did put in a lot of effort to cover for her to convince the dorm supervisor that they were back in time for curfew with Futaba and Kaoruko posing as them, while Claudine put on such an act.

So with that, this show has passed my audition with flying colors, and as such it's locked into my watchlist for the season.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

An episode without the one thing that kept the series worth watching, and instead spending its entire time chasing Hikari around identical aquariums with nothing but jellyfish for basically no purpose. I think I'm done with this for now. I can't guarantee I won't be back, but this is definitely the most negative I've been on it so far.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

Jealousy never shines.

This episode is about Karen's roommate Mahiru as she grew up in a farming family from Hokkaido, and is a prodigy at twirling. She came to Tokyo hoping to shine on the stage and developed a one-sided relationship with Karen, but she sees Hikari as being an obstacle leading her down the wrong path. Then comes the audition where Karen and Mahiru duels, and that was all sorts of weird with the baseball stuff going on. But in the end, Karen made Mahiru realize that she had forgotten all about her goals and that it's a bad idea to have that kind of relationship with Karen, and that she should be friends with everybody seeing that it was her family that delivered all that food for her, and that she's already shining.

Comment

Episode 6

It takes two to make a thing go right.

And now, an episode about Kaoruko as she's from a traditional family in Kyoto that absolutely wanted no part of her family's tradition. So after making friends with Futaba, she took off for Tokyo, and is having a tough time there having missed the cut for the class auditions. Further exacerbating the problem is seeing Futaba practicing with Claudine, but Kaoruko got the wrong message from that. So she decides to run away, but Futaba is letting her know that she's doing so for all the wrong reasons, and these two duel it out with Kaoruko changing her attitude and everything to win it. Those two sure have quite a great friendship going on there, and Futaba really helped Kaoruko pull through in a tough time. Next up, the spotlight will be on Nana.

Comment

Episode 7

Going bananas over Starlight.

And now, and episode about Nana with a much different approach as unlike with the other girls of this show, the episode tells her story about her motivation and life rather than telling something through Karen's viewpoint. She was impressed by the 99th festival that she decides to take part in the auditions in order to relive that experience. But then came Hikari out of nowhere, and she's determined to make Hikari her own. That was a slow episode there, but one that had some intrigue to it seeing that Nana has some pretty strong determination.

Comment

Episode 8

The shine is wearing off.

And now, it's Hikari's turn in the spotlight as the reason why she came back to Japan is revealed, and that giraffe is mostly to blame for that as she was roped into the auditions thinking that it is the ticket to fulfilling her promise to Karen. But standing in her way was Judy, whose talent is at a godlike level. That's when she finds out that losing in the auditions means losing that luster on stage, and as such she is given another chance to fulfill her promise by returning to Japan to take on the auditions. So last week, the rewards for winning were explained, and now it's the penalty for losing. Pretty insightful story that was as Hikari's time in London didn't end well.

Comment

Episode 9

To each their own star.

The festival is coming up and everybody is excited, except for Nana who just wants to continue living in the past. But Hikari's appearance really threw an unexpected wrench in those plans as only eight perform. It turns out that Karen is the reason behind that and not Hikari, and after losing to Nana in the auditions, she finally realizes that she needs to move on at some point, and Junna had some words of wisdom there. Nana sure is a stubborn one, but she definitely has a great friend there who comes up with her own philosophical quotes. In the meantime, the showdown for the top star is on between Karen, Hikari, Claudine, and Maya.

Comment

Episode 10

There can only be one.

The final day of auditions is here, and before that happens, Karen and Hikari go out and recreate the moment they made their promise 12 years ago, all while Maya and Claudine reaffirm their friendship. So the final audition is a two-on-two duel with Karen and Hikari battling against Maya and Claudine. The battle was nicely done as Karen and Hikari get the win by cutting off Maya's jacket, but what came afterwards was just cruel as now the two friends have to battle it out, and Karen takes the fall for it as Hikari was willing to do anything to be the Top Star, while Karen didn't want it to come at the cost of shattering Hikari's dream. Now that Hikari has won the Top Star, things are about to get interesting.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X