X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2018] Grand Blue Dreaming Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ぐらんぶる

A show about college students having the time of their lives, and going scuba diving. Unlike a certain other show about scuba diving, testosterone runs rampant.

Airs: Friday, July 13, 2018

Studio: Zero-G

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

Among the seaside town of Izu's ocean waves and rays of shining sun, Iori Kitahara is just beginning his freshman year at Izu University. As he moves into his uncle's scuba diving shop, Grand Blue, he eagerly anticipates his dream college life, filled with beautiful girls and good friends.

But things don't exactly go according to plan. Upon entering the shop, he encounters a group of rowdy, naked upperclassmen, who immediately coerce him into participating in their alcoholic activities. Though unwilling at first, Iori quickly gives in and becomes the heart and soul of the party. Unfortunately, this earns him the scorn of his cousin, Chisa Kotegawa, who walks in at precisely the wrong time. Undeterred, Iori still vows to realize his ideal college life, but will things go according to plan this time, or will his situation take yet another dive?

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Ochaco Uraraka, My Hero Academia
    Watching: Unit Pandora, Children of the Whales, Aokana, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

When it's time to party we will always party hard.

Iori sure got a lot more than he bargained for when he started off his college life and moved in to live at his uncle's scuba diving shop. These guys sure are crazy, especially when they get drunk as they strip down and aren't giving a damn about it. As if that wasn't enough, he got boozed up and ended up at the auditorium in his underwear, and understanding how dangerous alcohol is to someone like him, guys are passing along booze insisting that it's not, but they couldn't fool Iori, not when he can tell just by using a cigarette lighter. Pretty crazy stuff going on here as while they are both about scuba diving, this show and Amanchu couldn't be any more different as that show is girly, calm, and in a high school environment whereas this one is manly, rowdy, and in college. And seeing how prevalent drinking is here that it needed that disclaimer to not drink until you're old enough.

So with that, trial period rules apply, but after seeing this episode it shouldn't be long before I lock this show down as I absolutely enjoyed it.
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I've seen the manga highly rated for a while and I'm looking forward to finally reading it now that this anime adaptation is inspiring Kodansha to finally start releasing physical editions. From the little I've seen, I think I'll appreciate the artwork a lot more in that, because the visual parts of this were sadly probably the weakest aspects, but everything else is off to a promising start.

While Hinamatsuri was a notable exception, comedy anime tend to succeed these days if they have a Gintama director at the helm, and you could definitely see Takamatsu's craft at work here.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Another bizarre anime in a season that seems to be filled with them. Since I like diving, I'll stick with it and hopefully they will show some more underwater scenes and not just go with the on-shore antics.

I wonder how closely they are going to parallel "Animal House" with this.
        Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Episode 2

Get used to water.

Iori continues to be driven nuts by his fellow housemates as Iori's room becomes bombarded with Kohei's otaku stuff. In the end, he gets the most isolated room, but those guys still aren't leaving him alone. It's a good thing Nanaka is there to help him out seeing that those dudes aren't exactly being helpful when it comes to teaching him how to become a diver when part of the their training involves getting naked in the pool. That trip to the aquarium taught Iori a lot more than anything those guys could possibly teach them. While it was funny the first time, that stuff about getting naked is already getting old and I hope that this show backs off on it. That said, the date at the aquarium was nicely done going to show that even in this crazy environment, there's somebody there who is there to look out for everybody.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

God that opening is catchy. Some of the best visuals of the series as well, although we see some more of that in the grand reveal at the aquarium. It looks like the underwater scenes are where they're really taking care, appropriate since it is largely about the beauty of that world, and that's very true to life. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing some actual adventures under the sea. Looks like we'll be dealing with some more drinking comedy next time, which isn't my favorite.

A bit more time spent on the room gag than was necessary, but I did find a fair amount of it funny. I'll let Kohei design my room any day, albeit with some direction of material instead of just moe and loli (or yaoi) overload.

The aquarium visit was very nice. Who doesn't love aquariums? Of course, it means a lot more with the perspective of seeking out the wonder of the underwater. I don't relate to the drinking or randomly getting naked at all, but I can relate to most other aspects of Iori pretty well, like loving my college years and spending great time with friends, as well as finding ocean life beautiful despite mostly not being able to swim. It turns out I can swim fine if I'm snorkeling, so I have gotten to experience some great sights in Hawaii recently.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Grand Blue

Among Japanese anime fans, Grand Blue is often jokingly called Kitanai Amanchu! (lit. Dirty Amanchu! i.e. A Dirty Version of Amanchu!). ^_^;
              To call Grand Blue Kitanai Amanchu! is an idea devised by light-novel writer Inoue Kenji (the scriptwriter of the Grand Blue manga) himself. ^_^;

Comment

Episode 3

Try something new.

Iori finally is getting some scuba diving training from Tokki and Bukki, but they need money. So to get funding Iori and Kohei are made to enter the male pageant contest and they would be left off the hook should they somehow convince Chisa to enter. Well so much for that as Chisa?s condition is that they enter. More crazy times there as now Iori is going trap for the sake of the club?s budget.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

At least Iori gets one look underwater, even if it's just right back to the usual antics for the rest of the episode, and at least most of the next. The premise of trying to get Chisa wasted to force her to compete in the pageant isn't something I can get behind, but that doesn't mean there wasn't still plenty of good comedy throughout.

The early parts of the episode, especially the guys' fantasies of how they'd use their respective uniforms to make money, were probably the funniest moments. Azusa is also a lot of fun. I appreciate that she doesn't stay on the "girls' side" of the club, but also doesn't let the guys take advantage of her or even benefit from her sexuality, and she can still stay cheery throughout all of their madness in the process.

When I think about it, we spend most of each episode on drinking, stripping, and one gag that lasts way too long and often involves the other elements. It's not a show I would think I like. And yet, it somehow manages to play it well enough that I'm still enjoying myself a lot, albeit less than I could be if it weren't for some of those facts. I do hope we get to the actual diving before too much longer, though. I think they can still balance the comedy with the beauty of that world well enough.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

Rocking the pageant.

The spring festival is on, and once again the guys are up to their usual craziness. Chisa enters the contest, but Kohei is doing everything he can to get her to win even going as far as to throw those balls to get that Marilyn Monroe look. And it worked as it got her the win and the money the club needs, but it means Iori gets chewed out for being her boyfriend, albeit just being a ploy to get those guys to scram. As for the male pageant, that tennis club captain sure put on the great looks, but Iori did that trap play really nicely. And then Aina from the tennis club also joins for a drink. Those guys are just trying to have fun, and going overboard to do so. It's really something when somebody is in need of money.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

These guys should really be dead many times over by now. I still find things to like every episode, and their move to win the pageant was a lot of fun and even sweet in a way. But goddamn, they really never get tired of filling every episode with so much excessive drinking, do they? By the end of it you'll probably be able to take out those scenes and cut together a single, pretty good film of the entire series. And again, even if some of these antics are entertaining, I really wish we would get even the slightest hint of diving. This episode was probably the most extreme example of having nothing related to that whatsoever. But I still like it a lot. I really, really do.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

Looks can be deceiving.

Here comes Aina, the girl known as Cakey from Tinkerbell, and her actual look couldn't be any more different from how she looked during the festival with the makeup and wig. Iori has been getting a lot of hate mail for being Chisa's girlfriend even though that's not really the truth. So with his life in danger, a mixer is set up with Aina where things were going well. That is, until Kohei spills the beans about Iori having a girlfriend, though it didn't exactly matter since they knew ahead of time. Pretty creepy stuff going on there all going to show just how helpless Iori is. So after all that, it looks like next time the attention finally turns to scuba diving with Iori training to get licensed.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Ah, so the makeup girl wasn't just a one-off to give the warm fuzzy feeling last episode. She's a main character once she drops her makeup and apparently wig to look about as different as a person possibly could. That's nice.

Now Iori is starting down the path of romancing his cousin real hard. Nobody even considers that this might be an issue. Whatever, anime. You do you.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 6

Welcome to the club.

Aina is now officially a member of the club, and she's finding out just how crazy this environment is. In the meantime, Iori and Kohei somehow managed to get by exams as they have been blowing off studying through all this madness, but it was not without pulling some strings as they cheated their way. Nevertheless, it's summer vacation, and finally these guys are getting some serious scuba diving training, and hopefully things get a bit more serious.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

Oh shit, it took until the exact halfway point, but we got an actual minute of diving. So maybe by the end of the finale, we can get two minutes? That would be pretty wild. I do appreciate how self-aware the series is of this contradiction with its premise. And it really is funny almost all the way through, especially when it's not all just drinking.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...