X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2018] Grand Blue Dreaming Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ぐらんぶる

A show about college students having the time of their lives, and going scuba diving. Unlike a certain other show about scuba diving, testosterone runs rampant.

Airs: Friday, July 13, 2018

Studio: Zero-G

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

Among the seaside town of Izu's ocean waves and rays of shining sun, Iori Kitahara is just beginning his freshman year at Izu University. As he moves into his uncle's scuba diving shop, Grand Blue, he eagerly anticipates his dream college life, filled with beautiful girls and good friends.

But things don't exactly go according to plan. Upon entering the shop, he encounters a group of rowdy, naked upperclassmen, who immediately coerce him into participating in their alcoholic activities. Though unwilling at first, Iori quickly gives in and becomes the heart and soul of the party. Unfortunately, this earns him the scorn of his cousin, Chisa Kotegawa, who walks in at precisely the wrong time. Undeterred, Iori still vows to realize his ideal college life, but will things go according to plan this time, or will his situation take yet another dive?

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Fukaziroh, Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
    Watching: Food Wars! The Second Plate, DB Super, One Piece, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: CCS, DFX, RGW, MHA, SOM, AMC, WIX, TGL, STG, FMP, SAO-G, CTH-U, CLG, UMA, GKY, LGH, TDK, D23, WOK, JOE-MB, HMR, DEL, NBS, IIZ, AKJ, AOA, FKJ
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

When it's time to party we will always party hard.

Iori sure got a lot more than he bargained for when he started off his college life and moved in to live at his uncle's scuba diving shop. These guys sure are crazy, especially when they get drunk as they strip down and aren't giving a damn about it. As if that wasn't enough, he got boozed up and ended up at the auditorium in his underwear, and understanding how dangerous alcohol is to someone like him, guys are passing along booze insisting that it's not, but they couldn't fool Iori, not when he can tell just by using a cigarette lighter. Pretty crazy stuff going on here as while they are both about scuba diving, this show and Amanchu couldn't be any more different as that show is girly, calm, and in a high school environment whereas this one is manly, rowdy, and in college. And seeing how prevalent drinking is here that it needed that disclaimer to not drink until you're old enough.

So with that, trial period rules apply, but after seeing this episode it shouldn't be long before I lock this show down as I absolutely enjoyed it.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Fukaziroh, Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
    Watching: Food Wars! The Second Plate, DB Super, One Piece, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: CCS, DFX, RGW, MHA, SOM, AMC, WIX, TGL, STG, FMP, SAO-G, CTH-U, CLG, UMA, GKY, LGH, TDK, D23, WOK, JOE-MB, HMR, DEL, NBS, IIZ, AKJ, AOA, FKJ
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I've seen the manga highly rated for a while and I'm looking forward to finally reading it now that this anime adaptation is inspiring Kodansha to finally start releasing physical editions. From the little I've seen, I think I'll appreciate the artwork a lot more in that, because the visual parts of this were sadly probably the weakest aspects, but everything else is off to a promising start.

While Hinamatsuri was a notable exception, comedy anime tend to succeed these days if they have a Gintama director at the helm, and you could definitely see Takamatsu's craft at work here.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes | Twitter | Facebook

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Another bizarre anime in a season that seems to be filled with them. Since I like diving, I'll stick with it and hopefully they will show some more underwater scenes and not just go with the on-shore antics.

I wonder how closely they are going to parallel "Animal House" with this.
        Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
        Widgets Magazine
        Working...
        X