X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2018] Happy Sugar Life Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ハッピーシュガーライフ

A show about a girl who is willing to do whatever it takes to protect her yuri relationship. Anybody who comes across them will be quite sorry as she's willing to kill those who cross paths between these two girls.

Airs: Friday, July 13, 2018

Studio: Ezo'la

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

This is a shivering pure love psycho horror story of a girl named Satou Matsuzaka, who has someone she likes. She experiences a sweet feeling when she sleeps with her, and thought it must be love. Everything will be forgiven as long as she protects this feeling, even if she tricks, commits crimes, steals, or even kills, she thought.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rimuru, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
    Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Overworked and underpaid.

Satou is hard at work so that she could pay for her new life with Shio, but unfortunately for her doing things the honest way comes back to bite her. The manager there has her working her tail off, and doesn't get paid for what she worked for as the manager played dirty. So if she plays dirty, Satou plays even dirtier by recording that conversation of being a full-blown bitch, and it turns out she's even more evil than it looks as she locked up Mitsuboshi. At least there's no killing or crime committed this time around as she simply used the video as blackmail. Quite an interesting show this will look to be as Satou is pulling off the yandere act pretty well.

So the usual trial rules apply as I'll make a decision after watching a couple more episodes.
    Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Hearing Kana Hanazawa playing a yandere is something else. Also, I easily see this anime not sitting well with most people.
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 2

Look who's stalking.

This show just continues to be messed up here as Satou bringing out the worst out of everybody. First, there's Kitaumekawa-sensei who had been stalking her, and he just comes across as a womanizer seeing that he is married with a daughter, which made it easy for Satou to tell him to beat it. And then there's some boy who has come frantically searching for Shio as what Satou did would naturally lead to somebody doing something like that. So who exactly is this boy seeing that he said some things that Satou just didn't want to hear? I thinking he's her brother just looking out for a family member, but given that confession, I'm not quite sure anymore. And things end with that cliffhanger with Satou about to clobber him with a crowbar for getting between her and Shio.

So the trial period continues, but I'm leaning towards watching this show. In any case, the trial continues.

Comment

Episode 3

An angel has descends.

And the cliffhanger ends with Taiyou coming back just in time before Satou hits Asahi. And while Asahi's concern is genuine, passing out those lost child posters ended up doing more harm than good as now some creeps want to claim her for themselves, and Taiyou is one of them. While he got stopped, it wasn't Satou who did it as it's a couple of other creeps after Taiyou who did it. Things are just getting more and more messed up here, and I'm liking it.

So with that, this show has made the cut. While I was fearing that the premise would turn out to be something as unwatchable, the drama and tension have been nicely executed.

Comment

Episode 4

An eye for an eye.

Satou finally kills somebody as those two delinquents who had beaten Taiyo up looking to take Shio for themselves get their eyes gouged out after first getting tazed. As a result, Taiyo is staying home from work, and Satou has to work extra hard to cover for him, which works out well for her realizing that she will need quite a lot of money to build her "castle of dreams" so that she could live her happy sugar life with Shio. Things are all well and good between Satou and Shio for now, but it's just a matter of time before somebody catches on as to what Satou has been up to. If not Shio finding out about her secret torture chamber and her murderous ways, that teacher realizes something is amiss when he can't contact her so-called aunt that she says she's living with. Satou is definitely down a path of destruction, and it's only a matter of time before somebody finds out about all the shenanigans she has been pulling.

Comment

Episode 5

It's all a lie.

This time, it's the co-worker Su-chan who is coming between Satou and Shio as she finds herself falling for Satou and goes as far as to kiss her. But seeing the kind of girl Satou is, she gets all confrontational with her and telling lies to get her to buzz off. Then Shio is not exactly feeling right as she told a lie, all while Shoko walks into Taiyo's room seeing all those missing posters of Shio all over the place. Taiyo realizes that something is amiss about Satou as he saw Shio with her. That was just psychologically brutal to see all this going down as it's only a matter of time before Satou is found out as she's leaving a trail. Shio is quite happy with her, but the people around Satou, not so much seeing that everybody is resorting to lying.

Comment

Episode 6

Just between the three of them.

This episode is all about Asahi as he continues to search for his sister Shio, and it's a tragedy what happened with the family. He was loved by his mother and was close with Shio, but his father was just the worst kind of scumbag there and it's because of him that his ideal family was shattered. Even after death, the damage had already been done with his mother not the same person she used to be, all while Shio is living happily, in a relative sense, with Satou. Poor Asahi as he had been through quite a lot. In the meantime, Shoko is coming over, and Satou better be prepared as she's onto something in regards to what Satou has been up to.

Comment

Episode 7

Something smells fishy here.

Things make a lot more sense now with Satou's living situation as it turns out that she's living in the same complex as her aunt, but in a different apartment unit. Sensing something suspicious about her, the teacher gets the police over to her apartment where they are smelling something foul there, and there was nothing out of the ordinary to be found. That was just intense there, and as bad as Satou's personality is, that's nothing compared to her aunt as she's all about seducing men like that policeman who checked out her home, and getting beaten for it. It's quite a tough way to live when the people around her are so corrupt, and it's no wonder why Satou became this way. Shoko better watch out as now that she realizes how much of a psycho her aunt is, it's best to stay far away from Satou if she knows what's good.

Comment

Episode 8

Just get out of her life.

The first half was rather creative there going One Room by having the story told about how Satou ended up living in this apartment and begin her crime spree. It's a first person narrative where I'm the previous tenant of the apartment, an aspiring painter who got too ambitious and wanted to paint Satou when she's sad. And then Shio came in to put an end to a sad Satou that had that guy trying to kill Shio before Satou finished him off. And then there's the second half where Asahi is quite a big threat and Satou is asking Taiyo to chase that guy out of town in exchange for feeding his pedophile mind. Pretty creative way things were told as when she met Shio, it was all over for that guy.

Comment

Episode 9

She won't live to tell about it.

Holy Shio! That was just brutal there, and there's no question that Satou is beyond redemption after murdering Shoko to silence her after finding out the truth about the relationship. With Satou and Shio in love that they decide to have their wedding right away, but Shoko just happened to be outside the apartment to see it all happen. That is coming not long after she fell in love with Asahi, who isn't leaving town until he gets Shio back. Satou sure is doing her job and then some as the show's villain, and I can expect things to not end well for her now that Asahi has been alerted with that photo unbeknownst to her. All those crimes are going to come back and bite her, and she doesn't realize it to set the stage for an ending that I'm not expecting to be happy.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

Well, that was brutal. And Satou just screwed herself. Way to kill one of the few good characters in the show, Satou.
                        Last edited by Library-chan; 09-15-2018, 06:26 PM.
                        Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 10

A person's heart is like a jar.

Just as Satou has been trying her damnedest to keep her criminal activities hidden from Shio, there are traces of the murder still fresh that Shio realizes something's amiss about her. Not to mention, it reawakens some bad memories of being abandoned in the rain by her mother. And while Shio shows some hostilities after seeing just how vile Satou is, she decides to stick with her to the end. Of course, their castle has been infiltrated, and they are in for quite a lot of trouble now that Asahi is aware of what's happening. It figures she would stay with Satou seeing that there's nothing else left to go back to with her family situation what it is. Looks like Asahi isn't exactly backing down as he brought a weapon with him.

Comment

Episode 11

Until death do they part.

Satou and Shio have tied the knot as this yuri couple has become the OTP. But how long it will last remains to be seen as Asahi has gotten pretty aggressive in bringing the baseball bat and threatening to tear off Tayo's nails in order to get Satou's address. He got her aunt's address instead, and when she entered, she got quite a rude welcoming from her aunt. So now that they have confirmed their relationship, all that's left is to get far away without leaving a trace, but that's not going to be easy after everything that has happened.

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

The castle has fallen.

That was quite an emotional ending there, and all of this wouldn't have been possible had Satou brought the right with her like she was supposed to. But because Satou and Shio had to return, they are met by Asahi and the apartment was set ablaze leading to Shio's confrontation with Asahi, who explains the real reason why her mother abandoned her in that she's becoming like her father and doesn't want to subject her to the same kind of abusive behavior. So in the end, Shio chooses Satou, and they jump off the roof with Satou dying and Shio ending up in the hospital. I knew that it was going to end in tragedy for somebody and it's Satou who suffers it, and while Asahi finally can live with Shio seeing that she has nobody else to turn to, it's under different circumstances. That was certainly one of the better final episodes this season.

Overall, this show has a great concept that it stuck to well leading to some great drama, mystery, and character development as all of those made for an intriguing show. That said, this show is certainly not for everybody, and it was hindered by two major issues in that the animation quality is what I have come to expect out of a no-name studio that Ezola is, and the characters are just so unlikable that it's hard to get behind anybody. In any case, this show set out to make the ultimate yandere, and it accomplished that making the show worthwhile to watch for the drama and romance more than anything.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X