X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2018] Dropkick on My Devil! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    邪神ちゃんドロップキック

A violent comedy about a devil girl with a cobra tail out to kill a gothloli college student to return home, and fails in doing so.

Airs: Monday, July 9, 2018

Studio: Nomad

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

Yurine Hanazono is a college student who summons Jashin-chan, a demon from the underworld. Now they must live together in a run-down apartment in Tokyo's Jinbōchō district. If Yurine dies, Jashin-chan gets to go back to the underworld, so she constantly plots to kill Yurine.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Ochaco Uraraka, My Hero Academia
    Watching: Unit Pandora, Children of the Whales, Aokana, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Here's a source of meat.

That was pretty hilarious seeing Jashin trying and failing to kill Yurine as every time, she always gets one-upped by the gothloli. She eats all the meat for the hot pot dinner, and as such, Yurine uses her tail for some more meat seeing that she can regenerate. Then she tries again with a crowbar and a horror movie, but in the end Yurine does the Texas Chainsaw Massacre on her. And then she tries to use a stun gun, but doesn't realize that it was actually a beard trimmer all while Yurine uses that against her. That was pretty funny, and I like the wall-breaking humor there, especially the part where Jashin puts on the fake censorship act. That said, it's bound to get repetitive, so I have a feeling things will get stale rather quickly.

So with that, I'll keep on watching per my trial period policy. Given the lack of Monday shows that I'm interested in that if this show gets in, it will be the only full-length Monday show of the season. While I like the comedy, again I get the feeling that it's going to be essentially the same thing every time, so that's something I'll be keeping in mind.
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Wow, that was violent, on the level of Bludgeoning Angel Dokura-chan. I wonder why they dumped all the characters in at once. I guess next episode they'll go back to the beginning.
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
        I wonder why they dumped all the characters in at once. I guess next episode they'll go back to the beginning.
        They probably felt it would be more effective to introduce the cast to us to give a feel for everyone before going into the story proper. That being said even if they do go back to the "start" , I could easily see them "reducing" the gaps between character introductions in order to get the group together faster.
        "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
        Avatar: Princess Rei of SaGa Frontier

Comment

Episode 2

Halo or hell.

After Yurine kills Jashin three times in the first episode, this time she kills her only once as now the other characters get some focus. There's the snow spirit Kori, who can help cut costs on the AC as she can really cool down the place. But even that's not enough as Jashin gets all mad leading her to be the one who kills Jashin. Then Yurine meets a haloless angel and treats her to some curry. Without a halo, she's stranded on Earth, so she is taken in. And then Yurine buys a crapload of weapons to test on Jashin knowing that she can come back to life. Then there's Medusa as she's a masochist willing to put up with all the crap that Jashin puts her through. Pretty funny stuff once again as the characters all have some screws loose in a violent way. After hinting that this show was bound to get repetitive, at least this episode I didn't get that feeling.

So with that, the trial continues as all this show needs to do is beat out the other two Monday shows to make the cut as this season has a very weak Monday lineup. So far, it has put itself in solid position to win that spot.

Comment

Episode 3

Having one hell of a Christmas.

Poor Pekola is spending Christmas eating nothing but bread crusts and milk, and even worse is that Jashin is taking them for herself even though she bought two curries and ate Yurine's share. But leave it to Yurine to fix that and the angel gets a better meal in a piece of fried chicken. And then there's Yusa coming with Kori, and while Jashin has built up some abs of steel, she's no match for Yusa's ice. And then the friendship between Jashin and Medusa goes horribly wrong, but after chugging down on strawberry juice, those two make up. And that ATM chant is pretty funny. Pretty solid stuff once again as this show just keeps on being funny.

So with that, I'm leaning towards this show as the one and only standard-length Monday show of the season as this one has given me the most enjoyment by far. But I'm not quite ready to call it just yet.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Pekola needs to be taken in by Yurine. Also "ATM", such touching words, "ATM". Seriously, Jashin?
              "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
              Avatar: Princess Rei of SaGa Frontier

Comment

Episode 4

It's possible to be both passive and aggressive simultaneously.

Jashin goes to Akihabara where she causes quite a stir when a boy gets the gashapon she wants, and then puts it in her mouth to claim it for herself. And Mei comes to arrest her, but in truth she arrests only her heart as she's going wild and crazy over wanting to make the snake girl her own. And then Jashin gets a new idea to kill Yurine by taking her out to the mountains, but that fails as she doesn't want to go out at all. And then Medusa gets passive-aggressive when she sees that she has shed her skin as a prank, but they make up. Pretty funny once again as this time things are kept fresh by not having somebody kill Jashin for a change.

So with that, the trial period has expired, and only one Monday show will make the cut, but it looks like this show will be it as I got far more enjoyment out of this than the other two Monday shows.

Comment

Episode 5

Food is food, no matter where it came from.

Pekola needs to learn that she needs to eat no matter where the food came from. She got some free food from Yurine, but she didn't exactly like the thought of taking charity from a witch, so Jashin decides to eat it and she pays the price for it. And on top of that, she destroys her home when she finds out that she's not there having spent a day working for a meager salary of 400 yen an hour. So she became mincemeat for that. And of course, Mei also has her sights set on making Jashin her own, all while Minos has a screaming mandrake that Jashin inadvertently kills with a dropkick. Jashin just never learns to be considerate of others in a way everybody else does.

Comment

Episode 6

Worry over curry.

While Jashin may be out of her mind, one thing she can't stand is people wasting food since after all, if someone doesn't want it she will eat it herself. Jashin ends up making curry four days in a row, and she unknowingly created a magical circle that brought her back into the past, and then after returning, she ruins dinner by accident and got it from Yurine, who thanks to having Amazon Prime, got her new weapons right away. And then Yusa and Koji are selling shaved ice and making a huge profit off it, and Jashin tries the same, but does all the wrong things. Then Poporon has arrived to come take Pekola back to heaven, but then incurs Jashin's wrath when she wastes the curry she had brought for Pekola, and she gets thrown off the cliff for it. That was pretty funny to see Jashin's mind at work there doing all sorts of crazy things, all while Poporon got what was coming to her after making a devil mad.

Comment

Episode 7

Getting a leg up.

For a change, Jashin is wearing clothes as thanks to a potion that's supposed to make her stronger, it ends up turning that snake tail into human legs. And she looks much cuter when she's dressed up. That time out sure was cute with Medusa also dolling up herself now that she doesn't have to wear a paper bag to avoid petrifying others, but they were defective and she nearly petrified herself because of it. Too bad the potion didn't last since she couldn't get in a dropkick with those legs.

Comment

Episode 8

Money makes the world go round.

While Pekola is careful with money, not so much with Jashin as she's blowing it by gambling or doing something else that's a sure-fire way to get crucified by Yurine. She just never learns as even with a second chance, she's captivated by the idea that she could make it rich through the pachinko parlor not realizing that the odds of that happening are astronomically low. In the meantime, there's Pekola being resourceful and not wasting food, and that includes a long roll that had hit the ground, and Poporon has a job. And then Yurine gets thrown under the apartment floor, which is a time portal that sent her back to the fateful moment when she decided to gamble, and does it again. Jashin sure never learns when it comes to these kinds of things.

Comment

Episode 9

It's not her fault she's not popular.

Once again, Jashin's lack of common sense is on full display, all while the other girls have earned their popularity. There's Medusa taking the bag off her head to petrify the bank robbers, and then there's Minos hard at work in construction and gaining friends with those boys, and Poporon driving up business as a waitress at the ramen shop. With Jashin, it's pure jealousy over that. And then she earned herself a death by the iron maiden by eating Yurine's pudding and trying to lie about it. Then there's that dream sequence at the end that was really bizarre with Jashin being carried away by those zombies. Pretty funny stuff once again as Jashin just never learns about what she can and cannot do.

Comment

Episode 10

Be careful with money.

Poor Pekola can't catch a break as she ends up spending her hard-earned money by donating it to a scam charity by accident. It didn't exactly help that she was holding out her payment like a loaf of bread, but for it to fly straight into the donation box was pretty unlucky and making matters worse is that those two girls are scammers. Thus it led her to becoming a bodyguard for Poporon at a concert where an unruly fan attacks her and Pekola takes the blow for it. Yusa is back making some special edition ice cream realizing that nobody was going to spend a million yen for a cup of that stuff with basilisk venom in it. And that was nice to see Jashin and Medusa together making Valentine's Day chocolates together. That was hilarious once again, and I especially like those eyecatches with Jashin pretending that she's in Food Wars and Attack on Titan only to get rejected.

Comment

Episode 11 (Finale)

Hell can wait.

I thought that there was going to be one more episode after this and Jashin just said that this was the finale in order to pull off something like what happened with the second-to-last episode of Going Home Club at the end, but it turns out that the 12th episode is going to be an OVA if I'm reading the BD description correctly.

So in the end, Jashin finally lands a dropkick on Yurine, but it's an empty victory for her as she did it while Yurine ends up being sick. But instead of letting her die, she nurses her back to health as she rather enjoys her time on Earth. And when she's having this much fun, there's no need to get back home right away. Then there's the flower viewing party that's a great time to bring everybody together for the final time, and it ends with Jashin being carried into space by a balloon she tried to retrieve for a kid. Pretty funny way to end this going to show that it's a crazy world that everybody lives in.

Overall, this show does a great job with the comedy and characters as those things made the show worthwhile to watch. In all, it was fun, but not very substantial as this show is bogged down by two critical drawbacks. First of all, the animation quality is pretty iffy as the studio just doesn't have a good reputation, and the artwork of this show doesn't do anything to change it. And second of all, the jokes tend to get repetitive as too many times it's about Jashin trying and failing to dropkick Yurine and get killed herself again in different ways. The show isn't groundbreaking by any means, but it does just enough to keep me watching it.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X