Asobi Asobase Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 6

I'm glad we dug deeper into Oka's "transported" comment, and we actually ended up with some sweet material involving her and the other girls. Of course, it still ended with laughs, but it offered a nice range.

Hanako must face the cruel reality that some people are just naturally smarter, even if they don't put in the work at all. I'd actually think that, given the right configurations, Hanako wouldn't be entirely opposed to a robot boyfriend that her family's wealth could provide her.

Hilariously bad bang-cutting is something that I find rather funny for one reason or another.
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 7

How not to steal other people's information.

Hanako needs to be better about picking and choosing her targets seeing that she learned a lot of useless things in that book that she stole from Aozora, all while she looked at Kasumi's laptop only to learn stuff she wished she never knew about. She even brought a stag beetle that helped her acquire that book to add to the weirdness. And then they totally make a shirt that isn't exactly appropriate as they are doing something about Kasumi's cleavage. Hanako sure is showing just how nuts she is with all that.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
      Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Ooh, some genuine plot intrigue with Aozora being developed as the main antagonist, hiding the evidence that almost certainly has the truth of their gender or sex, and using the rest of the accounts of the Pastimers Club's (mostly Hanako's) range of crimes as future blackmail material to force them to do their bidding. That's a lot more powerful of a motivator than simply bribery.

Of course, the highlights are still comedy like the absurdity of the stag beetle being trained into a perfect phantom thief and some of the later pieces with Kasumi's bizarre fetishes in her attempt at a BL novel.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 8

Gotta catch'em all. Bacteria, that is.

I really like all of the references there with catching bacteria as if they were Pokemon, to that game where Hanako is putting on the Sailor Moon act, all while Kasumi channels her inner-Goku to do a Kamehameha. And of course, they talk a lot more nonsense in between with all of that discussion about virgins at a certain age. Those girls are playing some pretty outrageous games.
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Bacteri Go was pretty hilarious. The virgin killer bit, not so much. Probably some specific Japanese culture references I didn't quite get, but still. And then the sugoroku one was a mixed bag. Definitely had its moments, but also dragged on a bit too much without that much to warrant it.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 9

Made in America.

This episode is all about Olivia as word is going around that she speaks perfect English, but that's not exactly the case. That part where Olivia is speaking English like a robot is pretty hilarious there throwing out that sex talk and swearing. And then her brother arrives, though given that he looks absolutely nothing like her that it's hard to believe that this fatso otaku is really her brother. Pretty hilarious stuff once again as Olivia certainly has lots of quirks being seen as an ideal foreigner at this school.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

Great Olivia material all around. The vulgar sex robot was especially hilarious as the distillation of all American stereotypes in anime. Nice subversion with her brother being a total Akiba boy, and then also subverting that to come full circle and be surprisingly cool when he's not in person. Some very funny reactions this episode as well, with the drawn-out, serious responses to absurdity being my favorite, like the excerpt from Hanako's fictional memoir being advertised in the show. Somewhere along the line, I've found this show to be a lot better than I initially expected.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 10

The force is not with them.

More English craziness here as this time it comes out of Fujiwara, who is after Kasumi but Aozora got to her first, and there's that kiss as proof that she has been taken. Then there's Hanako dressing up and putting Kasumi on trial with the verdict that she's a friend. Then Kasumi has a dream that Aozora is a guy, so she's desperate to look under her skirt, and the whole plan didn't exactly go off as planned. Lastly, the girls do a Star Wars parody trying to record a sci-fi film for the culture festival because Kasumi is so into sci-fi having watched lots of Star Trek. Of course, that didn't exactly fit into the club's image. Pretty funny stuff once again as Kasumi is the center of attention this time around. She hasn't gotten as much focus as the other girls, so it was nice to see her getting some more attention.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

Fujiwara is Olivia's mirror, a girl who looks like she's out of a classical Japanese tale but seems to speak English for some reason. She almost strikes up a romance with Kasumi, but is intercepted by Aozora, who lands a possibly yuri kiss but probably not since Aozora may or may not have something between her legs that Kasumi can't stop talking about. Nice to again see the segments interconnected, as well as a general progression on the Aozora mystery, which I get the feeling will continue to be hinted at but never resolved.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 11

Opposites attack.

Life sure is tough as the student council president as she has to put up with all these crazy clubs and proposal. As inappropriate as the Pastimers club's proposal is, that's nothing compared to the Occult Club, which is making those witchcraft cookies, or anything that Opposite-san has that ranges from that sexually-depicted piece of artwork to going overboard with the makeup. And then there's a "corpse" in the student council room with Opposite-san being accused as the "murderer" after donning a ski mask. Pretty funny stuff once again as it definitely isn't easy being the student council president at this school.

Comment

Re: Episode 11

Vice President's two-faced character is hilarious. I'd like to see more of Opposite-san as well. Between Kasumi's fear of boys and the potential for Hanako to lose her mind over Vice President's male harem from Opposite-san, there could be a lot of fun to have with them. Perhaps we'll end on the school festival with a mix of the schools?
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

There's a bra for every boob size.

So it ends in perverted fashion as Higuchi-sensei brings over a baby that is the son of one of the other teachers, and he's quite a perverted guy for his age talking boob sizes. And speaking of which, the next segment has Hanako shopping for a bra seeing that she has always been wearing a sports bra, but given her flat chest it isn't easy finding a more normal one. Then the girls play a smartphone game and after realizing just how much they suck at it, Hanako and Kasumi decide to quit. And it ends with the girls drawing strange things on paper. Once more, the comedy is simply priceless in this show as those girls are definitely out of their minds.

Overall, this show is comedy gold doing an excellent job in not only making the jokes and stuff funny, but keeping it fresh, creative, and never going stale. The characters are a quirky bunch and are fitting for all the crazy stuff that goes on in this show. Just about the only issues I had with this show are the animation, which is not exactly for everybody, and there were a few of the segments where things just fell flat. In any case, this is certainly one of the best comedies out there.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Re: Episode 12 (Finale)

Man, what a finale. The baby, bra, and game vignettes just kept getting more and more hilarious, and it ends as unceremoniously as possible, literally with a plea by the characters to end their current situation, followed by a variant of the ED tying into the very last vignette of the series. Great stuff. Give me more.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...