X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2018] Asobi Asobase Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    あそびあそばせ

A show about girls who play a lot of games, all while having personality issues to deal with.

Airs: Sunday, July 8, 2018

Studio: Lerche

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Hanako, an athletically proficient, yet thick-headed student with a weird fashion sense, plays a game with the American transfer student Olivia. However, their vigor irritated their classmate Kasuki who dislikes playing games since she has always been teased by her sister for being bad at them. With a turn of events, it was found out that Hanako is terrible at English. Thus, she asked her foreign classmate Olivia to help her, but Olivia, who is only born and raised in Japan with foreign parents, can't actually speak English at all! Watch over these three girls' surreal school-life comedy.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Ochaco Uraraka, My Hero Academia
    Watching: Unit Pandora, Children of the Whales, Aokana, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Pass on the pastimers.

So it begins with a lot of stuff getting lost in translation there as one of the girls just is awful at English, and a transfer student has arrived from America in Olivia. The games played are rock-paper-scissors with the loser looking away and getting hit, poking around the hand with a pencil, then a compass, a thumb war, and trying to lie to the teacher about why there's water coming out of the door when the girls set up a pool inside the classroom. Pretty funny stuff there, but the segments are not all up to snuff. And the artstyle, I'll just say it brings an interesting vibe to the show. There's an awful lot of wordplay there, and it's a good thing nobody is dubbing this during the broadcast period as this is one of those shows where the jokes and stuff only make practical sense in Japanese.

So with that, the trial period rules apply as usual. I still enjoyed it, but it most certainly could be better with the jokes and stuff considering that the artwork doesn't exactly fit in with what I had imagined.
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This is pretty much on the line, but I'd say it's on the positive side right now. I found some of the humor legitimately funny, which is really all I can ask for. But with this vignette format, most of it naturally feels pretty inconsequential and runs the risk of getting repetitive quickly. Also, while I like the visual style, the lines are really weak.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Well, that went in a different direction than I thought it would. Instead of a CGDCT show, we get a CGDCT show, a Crazy Girls Doing Crazy Things show. I like it.
        Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Some funny faces and some good moments. However the girls started to blend together because they're each a variant on being mean and crude. In fact, it started getting too crude for me, so I gave up on it. I see potential in it for others, but it's definitely not for me.
          "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
          Avatar: Princess Rei of SaGa Frontier

Comment

Episode 2

Girls just want to have fun.

Once again, the girls are doing crazy stuff, though they have company when it comes down to that as there's a student council candidate that totally botches the campaign speech. The girls just are dumb out of their minds, and their scores on the English test are a testament to that seeing that even though she's a foreigner, Olivia is just as bad as Kasumi. Then there's the whole makeup stuff as it was put on totally wrong to make it look like Hanako was beaten up. And then the girls play tennis with rackets that aren't designed for tennis leading to all sorts of breakdowns. Like last time, it's more over-the-top goodness here as the girls are just acting plain dumb.

So I'll continue this show for now, but I'm not sure where things stand with this show, so I'll keep watching it for the time being.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Okay, this is heading in the right direction nicely and easily makes the cut. Lots of funny, bizarre, sometimes surreal comedy, well-timed and with some amusing references here and there.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

The club is not a shoe-in.

The club continues to be nuts here, first with a game of Issei no se where the loser has to smell the armpits of the others, and Kasumi ends up losing and refusing to do it. Then Hanako chokes on a piece of candy in class and Higuchi-sensei had to call her out. And then it ends with an intense game of shoe-launching with the Shogi Club as they are out to claim the last available clubroom, and it wasn't in the rules that they can't use swings or bikes. The president wins, but with all the injuries she suffered that the club ends up moving off campus. Those are some pretty crazy games once again, and it's pretty entertaining to see it all go down.

So with that, I'll be giving it one more episode before making a decision on this show.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

I am an American and I have never had to sniff someone's armpits as a penalty.

Something has definitely gone wrong in your life if you're a teacher trying to get your middle school students to hook you up with a husband. But considering all of her ideas about romance come from shoujo manga, it was already a given that she wasn't progressing down the romantic track ideally.

Shogi Club president is fucking metal. This show isn't afraid to be overly brutal with its physical comedy, and our cute girls might just end up being responsible for a substantial body count by the end of it all.

Speaking of which, the puppet sequences at the end might be the most extreme, presumably to juxtapose the visual vibe.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

Being the butt of jokes.

Maeda sure tells strange things to Hanako when it comes to answering questions he doesn't know the answer to. Such is the case with shogi when it involves firing lasers out of the butt. Then Hanako puts on the Joker look after a tan-skinned girl puts on some makeup and stuff to creep out everybody. And sumo wresting is something only men can do for a profession, but they try to do something about it, and of course they were just playing around. And then Kasumi is writing some fan-fiction, but that doesn't go well. Those girls, they just continue to act dumb and it's funny to see them blow up like that.

So with that, the trial period is over, and it's a bubble show. I'll wait until I complete more trial periods before saying anything definitive about where this show stands.

Comment

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/for...909#post705909

So some people in Japan call Asobi Asobase Kitanai Kin'iro Mosaic (lit. Dirty Kin'iro Mosaic i.e. A Dirty Version of Kin'iro Mosaic).

Comment

Re: Episode 4

This show is fucking bonkers. Of course Hanako's butler can shoot laser beams out of his butt. Why wouldn't he? Everything that happens is so insane that this is the least remarkable thing to Hanako and the others. Hanako is just disgusted by Maeda now that, after at least a decade, she has finally learned that shogi is not the act of shooting a laser out of your butt. Kasumi is terrified of men and Maeda's personality doesn't help, but she's totally into 2D yaoi, which has its own butt play.

Yeah, this show is kinda great.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

Blame it on Maeda.

Hanako sure was crazy out of her mind here thinking that Maeda is behind it all. First, she goes to a cafe dressed up in something she saw in Harajuku causing her to stand out. Then she has a plushie named Maeda murdered by the occult club leader, and then she's thinking about having a family until she realizes just how tough and expensive it is to have one, and not to mention the need to have sexual intercourse to make it happen. Then there's Aozora who changes for PE in the restroom and just isn't getting it with all the antics going on. Pretty funny stuff once again.

So with that, I'll continue to play around with this show as it is one of the best comedies of the season.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Oh man, they're leaving off the Aozora investigation there? We have to revisit that at some point. It could be the biggest shake-up to their school life. Of course, outside of school they manage to burn down cafes, so maybe more excitement isn't the best idea. I was actually expecting to see Maeda affected by Oka's plushie voodoo, but I guess we're not getting any explicitly supernatural occurrences from our occult girl, at least at this point. It is cute to see her having so much fun playing games with people she could consider friends, even if her ideas are a little twisted from the perspective of everyone else.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 6

Pull one out.

The girls just continue to go crazy, first with Oka and overdoing it with that voodoo doll hoping that Mato gets better, then with Hanako making such a big fuss about finishing second in the exams, Olivia doing a poor job in cutting her hair on a hot day, and then Hanako getting pulled like a daikon by Kasumi with Olivia letting go. That just goes to show that these girls are always making a big deal about everything.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X