X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2018] Harukana Receive Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    はるかなレシーブ

A show about a tall girl and a short girl forming a beach volleyball duo.

Airs: Friday, July 6, 2018

Studio: C2C

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The story takes place in Okinawa, where Haruka forms a beach volleyball pair with Kanata. Kanata, who couldn't handle the pressure put on her by her short height, had given up on beach volleyball already but is convinced by Haruka to step back on the sand once again and aim for the junior tournament.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

It takes two.

So it begins with Haruka coming to Okinawa to live with Kanata, and Haruka sure couldn't wait to get into the ocean seeing that she wore her swimsuit underneath her dress just for this moment. And they stumble upon a game of beach volleyball being played forming a team with Kanata to go up against them. Of course, they got schooled, especially finding out after the match that they were up against a championship pair. Seeing that this show is about beach volleyball that I was expecting a fanservice overload of sorts, and while it's there, it was handled pretty well as to not let it get in the way of the story. Certainly an interesting start to say the least. The point of the match is to show Haruka that in this sport, there is no ace, and chemistry with her partner means everything, which she is sorely lacking.

So as usual, I put this through the usual trial period and it's fate will be decided once I watch a few more episodes.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Ask, and she shall receive.

So Haruka and Kanata are training for the rematch challenge against Ayasa and Narumi, and Haruka is just a total beginner at this as she's not even wearing a swimsuit that's suited for playing the game, all while she's having trouble keeping her balance doing just the basics. So after so after Kanata coaches her up, the challenge is on, and she finally notices that the reason why serves keep coming to her is not to take advantage of her of being a beginner, but to avoid Kanata as she's someone who Narumi claims would make a bad partner for her. But Haruka is willing to take on the challenge and they finally score a point on them to win the challenge on match point. That was quite an intense match there, but nevertheless they passed the first test with many more big ones to come.

So I'll continue for now, but it's definitely on the bubble seeing that this is a show that's supposed to be fanservicey, all while there are lots of rather dull moments going on.

Comment

Episode 3

Get back in the game.

This episode is about Kanata as she used to be quite a formidable player, but is not the same player she used to. The foreigners Emily and Claire come to help her realize that her heart is still in the game, and they do it with a match where they try and get her to use the pokey. It wasn't until she saw Haruka doing that she finally gives in to do it, and now she's back in the game again. It turns out that Kanata and Narumi used to be partners, but then things just fell apart for them. So now, Kanata becomes Haruka's partner and they enter the upcoming junior tournament together. That was some pretty good insight on Kanata as seeing Haruka play made her realize what she really liked, but was to afraid to show.

With that, I'll give this show one more episode as it's one of several bubble shows this season. The fact that it's a summer-themed show happening during the summer season will give it an advantage, but at the same time it's up against some pretty stiff competition.

Comment

Episode 4

They are now partners.

With the tournament coming up, the first order of business is to get new, matching swimsuits as what they have on right now is too revealing and impratical. So Haruka and Kanata go swimsuit shopping with Emily and Claire, and things don't get off on the right foot when another pair in Ai and Mai want the same swimsuit that Haruka picked out. So instead, she goes with what Kanata picked out with a twist, and all is well as they say. And then that flashback part where Narumi is telling Emily that it's for the best that Kanata finds someone she has a stronger connection with was really something.

So with that, the trial period has ended, and I'm not exactly sure where this stands at the moment. That said, being a summer-themed show helps its chances against the other bubble shows.

Comment

Episode 5

That's the short of it.

Haruka and Kanata enter their first tournament, and their opponent is Ai and Mai, who are wearing the swimsuits that Haruka wanted to wear. These two girls are elite players in the indoor game, but the beach game is much different. Mai is short, but having played the libero position, she knows how to utilize her athleticism to make it tough to drop the ball somewhere she can't reach. The first set was a comedy of errors with Haruka and Kanata winning, but the second set goes to show just how inexperienced Haruka and Kanata are as a duo.

So with that, this show will get an extended trial. Right now, I have 16 slots accounted for with two more to decide between three shows, this being one of them. I'll know for sure next week whether or not it stays.

Comment

Episode 6

Until the next tournament...

Haruka and Kanata had a lot of trouble getting the ball past Mai, but that was all part of Kanata's plan to wear out the libero, and as such they win their first round match. But in the end, they showed why they have a long way to go before they can even think about playing Emily and Claire, who won that tournament. They had a tough time with Ai and Mai, and they lost their second round match. That said, spirits are high going to show that they are finally gelling together as a team.

So with that, the extended trial period is over, and at this time I'm not really to call this show in one way or the other. This is one of three shows in the running for the last two on my watchlist.

Comment

Episode 7

Idol of the beach.

Here comes Akari, and she's aspiring to hit it big as an idol. But for now, she's just hitting it big in Okinawa, all while she has taken great interest in beach volleyball. Of course seeing that she has an image to keep up that she's worrying more about appearances and less on actually playing to be good at the sport. Nevertheless, it's good to see her interest in the game seeing that the club needs one more member to become official, and while she's playing like a beginner, she definitely enjoys it. Next time, here comes the mother of the foreign sisters and it will be interesting to see what she brings.

Comment

Episode 8

Promise to win.

Here comes Marissa, and this American shows why she's a pro at the sport with some pretty hard spikes that scare off Haruka. But after an offseason of training, they are much better players. And then comes New Year's Day where they promise to win, and see Narumi headed back home to Kyoto. That was a pretty good episode there going to show that they are determined to win it all next season.

Comment

Episode 9

Up against a wall.

Summer is here once again, and Haruka and Kanata are back and better than ever. The first opponent is the sisters who are throwing down the gauntlet at the Americans, but they didn't stand a chance as Haruka and Kanata were just too strong for them. That was quite a clinic they put on going to show that they have a realistic shot at making it through the qualifier this time around.

Comment

Episode 10

They finally play each other.

Haruka and Kanata square off against the American twins as they had looked forward to this moment. Claire and Emily are a formidable pair as expected, and as it turns out they weren't always this way as Claire used to be the ace and Emily was just a sidekick who would set the stage for Claire to deliver the smackdown. And then they got schooled by Narumi and Ayasa who lets everybody know that aces are not for the two-person game. The Americans take the first set, and the second set is pretty much going the same way, but Haruka and Kanata are hanging in there as the high speed serves and precision spiking is giving them fits.

Comment

re: Episode 10

I know the Thomas sisters are supposed to be fully fluent in Japanese (which has always oddly intrigued me, remembering occasional "exotic foreign competitors" and having possibly unfounded thoughts of "tailoring for the overseas market"), but it was a bit odd for me when the flashbacks had Emily saying "Onee-chan." The wraparound to Narumi telling Haruka off in the first episode about using "ace" was kind of nice, although I also wondered if a cut of animation (Haruka seen from a low side angle, rearing back to hit the ball over the net) had been redrawn from the early episodes to put her in another swimsuit. From the beginning of the first episode, I have an impression of where things will go, but not if there's quite time for it any more (beyond an inconclusive final shot and having to conclude in the manga, maybe).

Still, all of this should not be taken as disapproval. This series has been appealing to me in some uncomplicated but pleasant ways.

Comment

Episode 11

Down to the wire.

The match continues with Haruka and Kanata coming back to win the second set, and things go into a deuce to decide the match as once again, the American sisters keep taking the lead, but Haruka and Kanata keep battling back, and now the score is evened up heading into the decisive match point. And while the sisters did beat Kanata in the past when she was Narumi's partner, they were not satisfied with the result as Kanata wasn't herself that day. One more episode left to go as it will end with this match being decided.

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

Carrying the promise.

So the match ends with Haruka and Kanata winning the qualifier tournament after a hard-fought final rally, Those two teams definitely gave it their all there throughout the match, and especially in the deciding rally. So with that, the club is having a BBQ at the beach with the American sisters providing the meats, and not long after that it's back to work to get ready for the next tournament. That was quite a nice way to wrap things up there seeing that those four have become very close friends. It's a shame that several of the other characters didn't get developed, but with only 12 episodes to work with some things gotta give.

Overall, this is a solid sports show that does something different in that it is all about maintaining a positive outlook as opposed to dealing with frequent adversity that makes it different than the usual sports show. While the show does a nice job in developing the main characters, the supporting cast, not so much as it simply introduces them and then not really doing too much with them afterwards. And then there's the animation that just doesn't look crisp, and the show has long stretches of stuff that just feels dull. But in all, it was certainly a solid show to watch for the volleyball action and the whole friendship circle stuff going on.

MAL Rating:

Comment

re: Episode 12

Given Haruka had gone to Okinawa ready to swim, surf, and dive only to wind up on the shore playing beach volleyball, it was slightly amusing for me that this episode had the girls finally go in the water during their beach party, part of the good amount of time in this episode winding down after the match. I can suppose a hypothetical second series would take a little while getting back up to speed and show several matches on the tournament ladder before the fated "we meet again as equals" showdown, but I do have to remember no second series can be taken for granted. There's the manga, of course, but I've seen several reviews already criticizing its art as compared to the anime.

I have to admit to not finding the time to watch many sports anime (and many of the series I have watched have been baseball ones), so this series may have felt fairly fresh to me. I also have to admit "beach volleyball outfits" did a lot to pull me in and ease me along; nevertheless, by the end they weren't the only thing I was watching for.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X