X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2018] Seven Senses of the Re'Union Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    七星のスバル

A show about a group of online gamers who stopped playing when a friend died playing it. Six years later, she's somehow back in a revamped version of the game.

Airs: Thursday, July 5, 2018

Studio: Lerche

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

In the popular MMORPG world 'Union' there existed a legendary party named Subaru. This party, made up of a group of childhood friends and elementary schoolers, exceeded the limits of the game with their various senses. However, due to an incident which resulted in a death, 'Union' ended its service and the group of childhood friends went separate ways. Six years later, highschooler Haruto logged into the new 'Reunion' and reunited with a single girl. Asahi?one of old 'Subaru' party members, and his childhood friend who should have died six years ago. Is she a digital ghost, or...?

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Ochaco Uraraka, My Hero Academia
    Watching: Unit Pandora, Children of the Whales, Aokana, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Get back in the game.

This starts out pretty lighthearted as those friends are just having fun. But then during a final boss battle, Asahi bites the dust, both in the game and IRL as apparently she had a weak heart, and that experience triggered a cardiac arrest. I knew that there was going to be some serious feels in this show, and it happened all so suddenly. So the revamped game is back online, and inside that treasure chest is Asahi. So what exactly is going on here? That remains to be seen as there's a promise that Haruto is going to fulfill inside the game.

Once again, this show is on a trial, and I'll keep watching for now before deciding. So far, it has grabbed my attention, but there were some things that don't exactly leave a favorable impression as the animation quality looks pretty mediocre seeing that this is a highly reputable studio doing the animation, all while the characters seem to be too one-dimensional at the moment.
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Remembering it as if it were yesterday.

The Subaru guild is slowly coming back together, first with Asahi, and then Takanori and Satsuki come back leaving only Nozomi and Clive. While everybody else has to regain their senses, Asahi has her's back. And seeing that Asahi had been dead for six years that she remembers things as if they happened yesterday, but with that kind of mentality for six years. Pretty interesting stuff going on, and Satsuki sure made a nice impression there going all sadistic and letting Haruto know that he needs to face the past that he has been running away from. And then there's Elicia there that apparently knows something about why all of this is happening. It will be interesting to find out what this all leads to.

So with that, I'm pretty close to calling this show in, but I'm not quite ready to make it a for sure thing, not until I see what else the season has to offer as well. That said, I'm very much invested in this show.

Comment

Episode 3

Back to his senses.

So that promise was to protect each other, and it's no wonder why Asahi took the blow during that fateful quest. That, and to exchange rings IRL that they never got the chance to do. Satsuki and the in-game Asahi is reminding him of that as they are slowly bringing back the members of Subaru together, and the end result has Haruto finally back to the passionate guy he was and not the emotionless guy he had become since Asahi died. That was a nice way to bring Haruto back on his feet there, all while getting Subaru back together one member at a time. It wasn't easy as it meant facing the past and that boss that killed Asahi on that failed quest, but that was exactly what he needed to get his sense back.

So with that, this show has gotten better after a rough start, and as such this show has locked its spot up on my watchlist. While it was never in serious doubt seeing that this was one of my most anticipated shows of the season, I definitely had some reservations at the beginning, and at the very least they won't get in the way of me enjoying this show.

Comment

Episode 4

There are some things that are better off not knowing.

After conquering the dungeon that they failed leading to Asahi's death, they find something that could be the key to unlocking the mystery about Asahi's in-game appearance, but it's something that could lead to all sorts of problems if they ever knew about it. While that's going on, the Southern Cross and Brill Society guilds are gunning for them, all while Satsuki is not exactly trusting of Haruto as indicated by her blowing off steam IRL, and then her reaction after getting her leg snagged by the dungeon boss. And then there's Takanori coming to take that item for himself as a warning not to dig too dee. And then there's Clive and Nozomi who probably are not playing the game as the last remaining members of Subaru. Things just got really rough really quickly, and it will be interesting to see how all this will play out.

Comment

Episode 5

Lost in the fog.

Takanori is understandably concerned about the situation, but he wanted to leave Haruto out of this, and doing so with force as his guild joins forces with two other guilds to form a superguild. Little did he know that he would get betrayed by them as his guildmates get brainwashed and take Asahi away. And now, Haruto is going at it alone to take Asahi back herself. The situation sure exploded in a big way with the formation of a superguild that Takanori was hoping could protect Asahi, but little did he know that having too many protectors would cause this much trouble. Haruto better have a good plan as it's one against 3000 to get Asahi back.

Comment

Episode 6

A weakling no longer.

Satsuki used to be a weak player, and it's because of Asahi that she was able to improve her outlook in the game. And because of that, she's out to make things right by rescuing Asahi and doing so with Takanori's help seeing that he was betrayed by the superguild he formed. She really came through there awakening her sense to take out all those small fries, and then give Angelus the beatdown that he deserves for using Asahi for his own selfish purposes. That put Satsuki's character growth on display in a big way. Next time, Clive is back as he's with Elicia, and Elicia is up to something that requires the Subaru members to get together and awaken their senses.

Comment

Episode 7

It's not a game anymore.

Not long after seeing this kind of stuff going down in Steins;Gate 0, it happens again, though not by the mastermind as it looks like he's a subordinate. This time, it's Clive betraying Haruto after helping the party defeat the sea dragon guarding Haruto's sword from the old game, and the shady organization in question is Gnosis as they are doing something to players whose in-game characters are killed. Takanori is onto something as he has been connecting the dots and believes that Asahi's death was faked. Lots of plotting and scheming going on there as this episode ended on a cliffhanger as just when it looked like Subaru needed only Nozomi to join, this happens. It will be interesting to see what comes next now that Haruto is in an extremely bad situation.

Comment

Episode 8

It's very real.

The truth about Union is spilled out here, and as it turns out the game was designed to be a training ground created by Gnosis for using Senses in real life, and that's all the more reason why Asahi's death was faked. She uses her's on Haruto and that has him waking up in an alternative timeline where his in-game character died instead of Asahi's. So after being alerted by Elicia, he gets transported back into the game just before Clive backstabs him, and it turns out that wasn't actually Clive, but Simon from Gnosis taking his form. The real Clive had been disguised as Alwida as it turns out. That was quite a dramatic reveal there as that was definitely a game changer. So now that Haruto understands what is going on, his next order of business is to gather those fragments of the red stone, but before that they need to find Nozomi and bring Subaru together once again.

Comment

Episode 9

The stars have gathered, but they haven't aligned.

Now that the guild knows exactly what they have been dealing with, the next order of business is to get Nozomi back and awaken her Sense, which is not an easy thing to do as she has quit playing video games ever since Asahi "death" six years ago. And just when it looks like they were ready to get to the bottom of this matter once and for all, Haruto and Takanori aren't seeing eye-to-eye with each other fighting at the grave. But they made up and little did they know that Takanori's decision to attend the ball had Nozomi crying and getting cornered by those Gnosis goons. So with that, the gang's all back, but they are not on the same page, all while Gnosis is pouncing on them by trying to take Nozomi for themselves, and that ending was certainly ominous.

Comment

Episode 10

The greatest show above Earth.

So Nozomi has become one of them, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't by choice as even though she was appalled by the sight of Takanori dancing with Satsuki, she's not exactly the type of person who would willingly choose to side with those Gnosis goons. Those Senses are definitely at work here as Takanori was able to put two and two together that Gnosis took advantage of that misplaced jealousy. That was quite a depressing sight there, and to add insult to injury, things have spilled over to the real world with Haruto, Satsuki, and Takanori finding themselves in a bind after a sense was used on them to alter their perception of reality.

Comment

Episode 11

Waking up from this nightmare.

And just like that, all it took was an apology for letting this love go unrequited by Takanori and Nozomi is back to being herself again. It took quite a lot of guts there by Takanori taking all of her blows, but he knew that this was something only he could do as he is fully aware of her feelings after putting two and two together. While Nozomi back, Asahi is now a problem as a Sense is at work again as she shoots Haruto acting out of her grudges due to the curse cause by the snake bite. One more episode left to go as there's still quite a lot that needs to be explained, and I'm not so sure how it will be able to do it all in just a single episode as they need to bring Asahi back to her senses, defeat Gnosis, and crack the mystery of Asahi's and all the other stuff going on.

Comment

Re: Episode 11

So the main thing I am wondering aside from the usual "Can we really wrap up in a single episode?" and "Are they setting up for a season 2 that may never come" question is this. So it's been made pretty obvious that Asahi is being made to see things that aren't there for lack of a better term.

However I wonder if it will advance beyond that? Ie her shooting Haruto is likely because she was either lead to believe he was a monster or she thought a monster was in front of him or would be in front of him. This by itself is dangerous. Ie not being able to trust your own judgment and senses.

Yet I feel this could advance further. To where to make a long story she becomes "mind controlled" by the enemy and starts essentially obeying their commands. Not very likely given there is only one episode left. Plus they probably want her to suffer the pain of her "predictions" backfiring on her. Kind of hard to do that if she's like "Yes master".

Yes, I'm speculating something I know won't happen. Regardless the best guess for the remaining episode is this. Haruto gets better, Asahi gets better, our disc 1 bosses get defeated, relationships move forward, and then they hint at them attempting to confront the main villain later. Yeah, no way we're fighting a final boss in season 1.
                          "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                          Avatar: Princess Rei of SaGa Frontier

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

Never underestimate a legend.

As it turns out, Cerinthus and Marcion needed to awaken the goddess within Asahi to create their paradise, and to do that, they use the curse on Asahi to make her shoot Haruto, but then Elicia arrived, Haruto was healed, and Asahi is back to herself. So in the end, Subaru is now back together again, and it does some explaining about what Subaru is, making the point that it is a cluster and not a constellation. Given the number of things left unsettled that there was no question that a lot of them would not be addressed here, and that's exactly what happens. But seeing that this show spent a lot of time on character development that it made sense to close the loop on that while saving the whole mystery behind Asahi's in-game existence for the light novels.

Overall, this show has some great things going for it with its concept of combining Sword Art Online with Anohana, great character development, good drama, and an intriguing story, all things that led to a show that had me looking forward to watching the next episode. However, this show has some pretty major issues with pacing being the biggest one as it dragged out in the beginning, while the ending felt rushed towards the end. That led to lots of inconsistency with the story. Also, the animation could have been better as Lerche is certainly capable of better things. In all, this felt like a show that needed two cours in order to make substantial progress, and that led to compromises being made in order to tell a complete story with just one cour to work with.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X