How Not to Summon a Demon Lord Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 10

Did this show want to be a hentai? I'm surprised they went far with Diablo fingering Rem.
    Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 11

The real Demon Lord is back.

As it turns out, Alicia has her own hidden agenda, and she plans on reawakening the Demon Lord to wipe out the mortals from this world, and to do that she made Klem experience hatred so that her full power would be unleashed. To do that, she got Saddler and company to kidnap and torture Rem for being a Demon Lord worshipper, and the final spark was seeing Rem getting wounded protecting her from the knights. The situation quickly imploded there, and now it's up to Diablo to save Klem and put a stop to all this madness.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
      Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 11

Hopefully, Alicia will get a reasoning behind her psychotic, evil turn. Also, this series continues the whole "Bad guys can be turned if they can be befriended."

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

Taming of the Demon Lord.

And just like that, all it took was to save Rem and the Demon Lord Klem is back to being herself again. Not even a super-powerful spell from Diablo was enough to take her down, but befriending her was the difference here, and to keep her from becoming that monstrosity again, Klem becomes his slave. It turns out that Alicia and Edelgard were working together to take out the mortal race, but after they failed, they return to the harem just like that. That was rather rushed seeing that it didn't take long for things to be settled, but there was no other way to do it.

Overall, this show takes a concept that has been done over and over again leading to a show that I didn't have much expectation for coming in, but I was pleasantly surprised in how it managed to stand out from the ordinary isekai shows. In particular, I like that it didn't simply make the MC overpowered as it drew the line pretty well between the weak player and the overpowered avatar. And then there are the girls that have a lot more to offer than those from a typical harem. That said, this show still suffers from its reliance on cliches, all while things tended to get repetitive with the girls falling in trouble only for the MC to overpower the enemy to save the day, which got old pretty quickly. In all, it ended up being better than expected.

MAL Rating:
          MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
          Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
          Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 12

How not to do a conclusion. Seriously? The final battle was short and weak (Diablo takes out the demon loli with one shot). He had more difficult time with the head of the guard. And then the bad girl gets off? And the whole "I want to kill everyone because I had bad childhood? Ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
              Episode 12 (Finale)

Taming of the Demon Lord.

And just like that, all it took was to save Rem and the Demon Lord Klem is back to being herself again. Not even a super-powerful spell from Diablo was enough to take her down, but befriending her was the difference here, and to keep her from becoming that monstrosity again, Klem becomes his slave. It turns out that Alicia and Edelgard were working together to take out the mortal race, but after they failed, they return to the harem just like that. That was rather rushed seeing that it didn't take long for things to be settled, but there was no other way to do it.

Overall, this show takes a concept that has been done over and over again leading to a show that I didn't have much expectation for coming in, but I was pleasantly surprised in how it managed to stand out from the ordinary isekai shows. In particular, I like that it didn't simply make the MC overpowered as it drew the line pretty well between the weak player and the overpowered avatar. And then there are the girls that have a lot more to offer than those from a typical harem. That said, this show still suffers from its reliance on cliches, all while things tended to get repetitive with the girls falling in trouble only for the MC to overpower the enemy to save the day, which got old pretty quickly. In all, it ended up being better than expected.

MAL Rating:
              While I have a slightly different view of this series, I completely agree with the MAL rating: It's a solid B, B+ series. This show was a lot of fun, and, hopefully, will be even more fun with censoring removed on the blu-ray release. It's one of those shows you can't be sure how much they're going to add or uncensor; I'd not be surprised if there's very little removed, but there will likely be some, and there's always the possibility of OVAs, and/or OVA shorts with the fanservice ratcheted up (what we get, however, considering that there's a loli, though clearly adult bunny girl, and a loli Demon Lord, well we might never get what is released in Japan. then again, expect a ton of hentai doujinshi from this series). This was just a fun series, with a nice twist on the isekai genre. Now, I agree: The ending was a too rushed; it really needed to be stretched to 13 episodes instead of 12. And, yeah, Alicia getting off lightly is a bit disappointing.

At the end of the day this was a good series for me, that just went to the positive side, being more than the sum of its parts for me. This was really a solid supporting cast, with all the girls being a lot of fun, with Shera being the star for me, her cheery airheaded nature brightening the screen every time she's on Yes, I like elf-girls, and busty girls, but what wins for Shera is her attitude is just so darn cheery, it's a breath of fresh air whenever she's on.

So, good, but not great, and I hope we get some more of this series. It did some nice worldbuilding, with more needed, for its cast of very good characters, with more to see and enjoy here.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                Episode 12 (Finale)

That was rather rushed seeing that it didn't take long for things to be settled, but there was no other way to do it.
                As a fan who's been reading the novels, I can explain that "rushed" feeling as probably being due to the fact that the actual conclusion to the 3rd Novel was the halfway point of this episode. (followed up by a short cliffhanger scene of Alicia and Edelgard trying to escape a horde of angry Fallen, which the anime cut)

The anime chose to adapt a little bit of the beginning of the next novel so they could include part of the scene that resolves Alicia and Edelgard's character arcs that were built up, instead of ending on the cliffhanger that the 3rd Novel did.
                For the structure of a 12 episode anime, it made sense to do that, especially for fans of those characters.
                And even though I hope this series gets a season 2 someday, I think the anime staff wanted to avoid ending on such a clear cliffhanger just in case it didn't, so they were really thinking of the anime viewers there and wanted to wrap up as much as they could in this final episode.

Overall, despite the result being a lot happening in the finale, I think it worked well enough for the anime's conclusion.

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
                Re: Episode 12
                And then the bad girl gets off? And the whole "I want to kill everyone because I had bad childhood? Ugh.
                That wasn't the message at all, lol.
                Try watching that scene again and really trying to understand who Alicia is and how she ended up the way she did. Trivializing it as "lol bad childhood" discredits how interesting her character actually is.

And true she does get off a bit easy, but I think that kind of forgiveness is an important trait for Diablo and the rest to carry, especially since he in particular does understand her. The anime actually altered that scene a bit, and let Diablo speak from his heart for once (that moment played out differently in the novels), but I think it worked in expressing what it had to in the time allotted.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X