Hanebad! Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 5

Connie begs the classic question. How much can you portray someone as "horrible" before you can no longer "humanize" them. Also, if this were a video game, it feels like we skipped a few levels. We still have the disc 1 boss! Granted to be fair sometimes the main boss is introduced early on

Yes, I know Connie isn't that bad. I mean she's not burning villages, summoning the forces of evil, etc. However in context of a series like this, she's not exactly a saint either. Still her asking about hurting someone does beg the question if she's trying to put on act to show off.

If that's the case, I'd love to know how people conclude "Hmm, what's the best impression I can give of myself? Be a cruel and heartless person, good plan!" then again humans are not about being logical..,,,.
    "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
    Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Episode 6

This is her last chance.

Here is an episode about Riko as she's graduating at the end of the year, and as such she wants to win. However, she's not a strong player as she lacks Ayano's reflexes and Nagisa's smashing power. The prelims are here, and her first opponent is Nozomi, and given how much stronger a player Nozomi is that she was holding back being told by her coach to save her stamina for the later rounds. And while Riko lost, she did make Nozomi go all-out. That was pretty tough on Riko there to see her lose like that, but at least she played a great game. Next time, it's a rematch between Ayano and Kaoruko, all while her mother has returned seeing that it was her who she lost to before her mother left.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
      Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 6

Okay, Mama. Let's see if you can redeem yourself from being such a bad parent. Considering she thinks she can just waltz in here to watch her actual daughter play despite all the trauma she inflicted upon her, I don't think I'll be buying it too easily. She seems to prioritize badminton over everything, which is not acceptable for someone who is supposed to be raising a child.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 7

Psyching out the competition.

Ayano and Kaoruko have their long-awaited rematch, and the focus is on how Kaoruko plays as she's all about calculations and mind games. While that kind of strategy is effective against most opponents, not Ayano as her god-like reflexes just don't allow her to play the game she had planned for. That was such an intense episode there going to show that using a calculated approach can only get one so far in this game. Seeing that Ayano was at a huge psychological disadvantage here that she went totally emotionless there focusing only on playing the game and not the opponent, and it worked like a charm. As much of a psycho Kaoruko comes across, she does have a soft side that I'm hoping to see more of now that she has experienced defeat.
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Ayano has become an antagonist. She has been broken by those around her. The only question is.... Who can save her? I'm calling it now. Ayano is the main boss, possibly final boss. Nagisa will be the heroine that saves her. Seems to be what they're setting up.
            "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"

Comment

Re: Episode 7

It's hard to get behind Ayano as the protagonist when she's in this possessed state that makes her opponents seem so much more sympathetic, even when they had been set up as such villains. I guess every major character is some sort of villain at one time or another, none of which feels particularly appropriate for what should be a very real setting. This show is basically just holding on at this point. Hopefully it has a more promising turn before long, because I don't think it has much more time on my slate otherwise.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 8

To each their own badminton.

The focus switches to Nagisa and Nozomi with a trip to the finals on the line. Nozomi's coach is such a douchebag, and while it's one thing to talk strategy, he's ordering her like a drill sergeant to change her approach, and while it worked for awhile, it is quickly losing its effectiveness. Nozomi did a great thing to throw all of those words back in his face and play the way she had always been playing, and while she lost, and did it on her own terms. Great to see that Nozomi decided to stand up to her coach to make him realize that he was wrong all along. In the meantime, Ayano's character is degrading even more, especially after taunting her opponent when she has pulled up lame, and I'm hoping that she doesn't keep up this act for long.

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Okay, there's just nothing to like about Hanesaki anymore. And as with most characters, the enemy coach is a pure villain until he's suddenly redeemed. I can't get behind any of the character arcs, so this isn't going to work for me. I'll have to add this to the dropped pile after all. That's quite a few at this point, but I'm fine with what I have left over. Not too much to watch each week, but plenty of quality in what's there, and even the lesser of what I'm watching are solid enough that I'm not too concerned about anything I have left falling to the point of needing to be added to that pile.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 9

Sisters in rackets.

With Ayano and Nagisa getting ready for the finals, Connie wants to have a match with Ayano, but instead they have a fun time going out as Ayano's teammates suggested that instead of a match. And though this, what Connie is really after is to get acknowledged by Ayano as her sister seeing that Ayano has brushed off her family. Things sure got emotional there when Connie cried in front of her teammates. In the meantime, Ayano is meeting her mother for the first time in quite awhile, and it will be interesting to see how they make up as Ayano had gone too deep into villainous territory after the prelims, and Connie has been trying to get her out of it.

Comment

Episode 10

Weak in the knees.

And now, another non-Ayano focused episode as this time it's all about the boys in the badminton club. Of course, they are nowhere near the players that Ayano and Nagisa are, but their characters are way better than those two will ever be. Hayama and Isehara both fought and lost, and took it well as they are playing badminton for all the right reasons. But that got put to the test when the coach tells them not to overdo it after a knee injury cost him a spot on the Olympic team. Nagisa is dealing with a sore knee and the coach fears she might meet the same fate should she push it, but Nagisa has no intention on backing down until she faces Ayano. Pretty nice way to elaborate on the boys that I didn't notice were a part of this club seeing that it had been focused on all of the girls more than anything. In the meantime, Ayano isn't exactly doing well since seeing her mother come back, and now she's being asked to come with her on her travels.

Comment

Episode 11

She came to play, and only to play.

Ayano just continues to lose her humanity there as her character has devolved so much now that she's just playing the game to get away from her mother. And now, her friends are taking notice as to why Ayano hasn't been her usual self lately. Pretty depressing that was to watch seeing that Ayano's character just continues to take a nosedive here, and it's wearing thin on her friends. The finals are here, and it's Ayano against Nagisa as they drew each other, and Elena is out to make things right seeing that she's the one who start this whole thing by essentially forcing her to play.

Comment

Re: Episode 11

Are you serious? Are you serious? Uchika seriously thought abandoning Ayano was the best solution. Here's hoping that maybe just maybe Elena can redeem herself and maybe even save Ayano. I just err I don't know anymore. What were they thinking with this direction?

Comment

Episode 12

It's not just a sport.

So Uchika leaving Ayano is her way of making her getting stronger, and she made that decision after she saw Ayano practicing hard by herself. So after winning the first set Ayano just looks gassed in the second set, and the match was just getting away from her, but after a timeout and some support from Sora, she's back to playing to form. Pretty depressing to watch up to that point as this show has just been a train wreck since Ayano turned into that monster. One more episode left to go.

Comment

Re: Episode 12

Ayano needs a hug. Seriously.
                              Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 13 (Finale)

No badminton player left behind.

Nagisa looked to be running away with the final set, but Ayano showcased her ambidexterity and closed the gap before Nagisa ultimately won on her bum knee. While her season is over, her playing career is not as luckily for her, the injury was pretty minor. And while Ayano's mother leaves her daughter again, this time Ayano chose to stay behind and realize her place. Good to see that Ayano finally made up her mind and get her love for the sport back, and the match was nicely animated.

Overall, this show started off strong, but the show became all sorts of cringeworthy to watch in the second half with the direction of the character development that was questionable at best leading to some bad storywriting and characters becoming too unlikable to rally behind. But in the end, the show was still entertaining to watch for the badminton action and the intrigue that the characters brought out.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X