X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2018] Hanebad! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    はねバド!

A sports show about high school girls playing badminton.

Airs: Sunday, July 1, 2018

Studio: Liden Films

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Ayano Hanesaki, a first-year student at Kanagawa Prefectural Kitakomachi High School, has a badminton ability able to surpass others effortlessly yet avoids playing the sport. She meets Nagisa Aragaki, a third-year student who practices day and night aiming to become the best player in Japan. Encouraged by coach Tachibana Kentarou, supported by club colleagues, and fired up by various rivals, the two engage in their youth and adored sport so thrilling like a shuttle flown at high speed!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Why does she play?

Those girls sure are sweating a lot. Nagisa sure is an emotional wreck there just playing badminton putting all that effort into refining her badminton game without getting much out of it. Ayano sure has the talent to play badminton, but she quit the sport and in the end she had to be dragged to the club by Elena. She showed off her stuff there with the tennis racket, but badminton is where she belongs. So in typical shounen sports manga style, Ayano is playing a match to convince her to pick up the racket again and play. This show is off to a great stuff here as it does an excellent job in setting up the stage where the MC finds her way through playing this sport after having a falling out of sorts, and in this case it's Ayano not finding the game fun.

So with that, it's usual trial period rules, and so far it has made a great impression.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Taku Kishimoto is my favorite anime writer other than Miyazaki, so I'm glad his first work since 2016 is off to a good start. Some similarities with Haikyuu!!, even, so that's fun. Hopefully it continues to improve and become another fine work for him
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Some frustrating moments in this episode. Also Nagisa is trying my patience. That being said, if it can get passed a few early hurdles, it might end up being a stong show for the season. If nothing else it made me miss some other shows...
        "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
        Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Who knew badmiton is such a hardcore serious sport?
          Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 2

For the love of the game...

This is an episode about Nagisa as she's the opposite of Ayano. While Ayano is talented, unmotivated, and just doesn't give a damn about badminton, Nagisa is lacking in elite level talent, highly motivated, and loves the game. And that kind of devotion is proving to be problematic as Nagisa just is a poor teammate as she is. But the coach talked some sense into her, and she has wised up. Nice way for Nagisa to finally be a good teammate there, and while Ayano is in the club, her heart is still not in the game. Next time, the rival comes, and she has some screws loose to say the least, especially considering that she wears something cosplayish when playing.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Nice to see that they didn't drag out Nagisa being a jerk for any longer than necessary, and showing her inner turmoil that drives her aggression sympathized her plight, even if it didn't justify her behavior. But hopefully she can move past that now. We still haven't even really begun to explore Ayano's story, which will undoubtedly be the central arc of the series, but we're onto a more eccentric player soon, and Ayano's progression will likely be weaved into other pieces going forward.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Make badminton fun again.

So after an episode about Ayano and Nagisa, this episode is about Elena as she has been close friends with Ayano ever since she was a baby. She's trying to bring back the fun in badminton as Ayano stopped enjoying the game since that fateful match against Kaoruko where she was sick and caught her germs to level the playing field. But above all, it's because the game took her mother away as she would go on and leave her to play badminton, and rack up quite an impressive career while leaving her behind. But of course, that should be even more motivation to get better at badminton and not a reason to quit. Elena is such a pal there doing everything to get her to realize that she loves the game, but recent experiences aren't exactly great. And it will be interesting to see what happens when Ayano and Kaoruko meet again as Kaoruko sure was furious with what Ayano has become since that day.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

For as seriously as it's all played, I do find some elements a little silly, like Kaoruko's whole twindrill persona, her attacking Hanesaki with her cold, and whatever the hell the deal with Hanesaki's mom is. Clearly they'll have to explain that a lot more, so I hope it's satisfying enough. Still a good show, of course, but I could be enjoying it a little more.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

All the way from Denmark.

Here comes Connie, and she came to Japan in order to play against Ayano as she is a big fan of her mother. As such, she even adopted her gameday hairstyle going to show just how much she inspired her to play. But she's not exactly pleased at what Ayano had become, not so much at her quitting badminton as it is her joining a club and playing as part of a team when she is capable of far greater things. They happen to meet while Ayano was lost getting to the convenience store with a badly-drawn map, and they end up playing a doubles match, which Connie wasn't too pleased about as she wants a singles match with Ayano, but she did turn her game up there. It will be interesting to see how Ayano and the Danish girl get along.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

As soon as I saw her hair, I assumed Connie had to be the foreign girl Hanesaki's mom took off to teach, but as Hanesaki was interacting with her, I figured I must've been mistaken since she didn't seem to have the same reaction despite that image being burned into her head. Then she did the hair thing and it became obvious again. I guess in Hanesaki's defense, she's not watching this from the perspective of a viewer who knows that every character shown in such an important light must have that kind of relevance. And of course they'd run across each other like that. Fateful or contrived; there can be a thin line between the two in anime.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I hope the the whole series is not just about Ayano getting over her Mom issues. I would like to see more team dynamics as well.

Avatar: Tanya Degurechaff from Saga of Tanya the Evil

Comment

First, between Evil Pink and Evil Blond, they must be pulling characters out of some random Anime Universe. Is there going to be an Evil Blue and Evil Green next?

Second, if they can find a way to redeem the Mother without it feeling forced I'll be shocked.

Third, this show sure loves its drama.
                          "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                          Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Episode 5

Who's your mama?

It's no wonder Connie took to Uchika's style and stuff as she raised her while she was overseas, and as such it's no wonder she had Ayano on her hit list. So in a two-on-one battle, Connie still wins as things just keep on breaking apart for Ayano like that string on her racket, but her confidence is slowly returning. Uchika is coming back, so it will be interesting to see what happens when they meet again.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Wow, Hanesaki actually had to have it all spelled out that explicitly to realize Connie was the girl in the picture. And now she reverts to her obsessed mode whenever she's feeling cornered or upset. Uchika has a lot of trauma to answer for all around.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...