• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckeye
    started a topic [Summer 2018] Island Discussion Thread

Island Discussion Thread

アイランド

A show set on an island on the road to total desertion thanks to life being bound by traditions and insistence of total isolation from the mainland, and it's up to a castaway and three girls to avert this crisis.

Airs: Sunday, July 1, 2018

Studio: Feel

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Urashima, an island far from the mainland. The people who live there lead carefree lives. But five years ago, the island's three great families suffered a series of misfortunes and succumbed to suspicion. The people of the island cut off all contact with the mainland and began a slow decline. The key to saving the island lies in three girls who belong to the three families. But they are bound by old traditions, and are conflicted. On that island, a lone man washes ashore. The man claims to be from the future, and he begins a solitary struggle to change the island's fate.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.

• Buckeye
    replied
    Episode 4

There's a secret in this world.

Karen finally builds up her resolve, and with help from Setsuna for crashing the wedding and her brother Subaru for providing a boat to get away from the island, she's finally on the mainland to see her mother. Except that her mother isn't waiting for her as she died in an accident a year ago and instead she is greeted by her student Momoka who lets her know that her favorite author is actually her mother's pen name. So after that trip, it's back to the island where now she has a purpose of being there to change this place for the better. Pretty solid way to bring a resolution to Karen's story as she was being kept in the dark for so long about things she should have every right to know about, but her family just wouldn't allow it. Next up is Sara's story.

So with that, the trial period ends, and while it had been on the outside looking in, this latest episode might convince me to reverse course. In any case, I will have to think about it, and making things tougher is that the show starting dates are so scattered this season that I'm already through this show's trial period, but there are still a couple of shows that haven't even begun.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Episode 3

Stranded on this island.

Sara and Karen sure are having a great time at the beach, while Setsuna has some pretty crazy fantasies, all while Rinne comes in to protect herself from the sun by wearing a space suit. Just when it looked like a fun time, things quickly got serious again when those two girls try to open the door to an abandoned shack. And while Karen is getting along with everybody, her father is a different story as he's pretty hellbent on keeping her on the island to succeed the family. So in the end, Setsuna is asked to mess her up or something. Things sure got ugly there for Karen. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

So I'll give it one more episode before deciding whether to stay or leave this Island as it's one of the bubble shows this season. This episode was a step down from the first two, but the ending there peaked my interest.

Leave a comment:

• Library-chan
    replied
    Re: Episode 1

Wow, this feels like the anime of old, especially like Air.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Episode 2

They are stuff of legends.

While Setsuna thinks it's coincidence, Rinne isn't as there's a legend out there where the names of the characters are Rinne and Setsuna. It turns out that some islanders have the same problem vampires do as they burn up when exposed to sunlight. And then the three families are up to something there as for some reason they are hellbent on doing thing their way. In particular here, Karen is looking to earn money so that she could move to the mainland where her mother is living. Lots of mysteries here as something is amiss about everything, all while it seems all too convenient that the characters are named the same as in the legends. Interesting stuff going on.

Leave a comment:

• Momoka Kibi
    replied
    Re: Episode 1

Some flat out bad moments sadly, but I'm in it for Amazing Hair and I hope we spend sometime in the future because just wow. In any case, this will either end up suprisingly good or be a terrible train wreck. Worst part is I sort of want the train wreck option.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Episode 1

Crossing the ocean of time.

Those grown-ups sure are stuck-up telling Setsuna to return to the mainland after everything that happened. As it turns out, is from the future traveling five years back into the past, as is Rinne, who appears to have met him before. Rinne's hikikomori mother sure says some funny things through those written notes. And then he meets Sara, who is aware of this mystery and is onto something that could be the key to solving the mystery. An interesting start this show is off to, and certainly it has me thinking about how everything fits into the grand scheme of things. For now, this is just setting the stage for lots of truths to be revealed in due time, as well as how Setsuna and the girls are going to save the island that's imploding from within.

Leave a comment:

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Working...
X