FLCL Progressive Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
    At this point, I am going to watch the finale, but it seems likely that I won't find the time I spent on this season worthwhile, in which case I won't bother with Alternative. Maybe it's better, but I never needed more FLCL in the first place, so I won't subject myself to another potential of disappointment when the chances of it completely changing my mind about the value of FLCL sequels are so much lower than any much more negative outcome.
    Personally, I'd still give Alternative a chance because I have a feeling that this and Progressive are going different directions in terms of FLCL sequels, with Progressive being a direct sequel that focuses more on the lore of the original series, while Alternative is a sequel that focuses more on the themes and style of of the original.
    Joseph Klemm
    "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
    Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
    Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
    Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

Episode 6 (Finale)

Letting the bird out of its cage.

So it ends with Haruko about to fulfill her ambition by seizing control of that giant bird that had been broken out of its cage, but she doesn't exactly find it easy to control as it causes widespread destruction to the town. After everything that happens, Hidomi finally grows up and realizes that she had the wrong mindset all along when running the cafe. And just when things were looking bad, it's Canti to the rescue as that robot smashes the headphones to turn Hidomi into a robot to stop Haruko, release Ide, and then the bird leaves. So in the end, Hidomi grows up and realizes her feelings for Ide, while Haruko is off to her next destination. Well, it ended with one of the better episodes in this series, but nevertheless it does little to ease the disappointment of this season that got away from what made FLCL so great. Hopefully Alternative will turn out better.

Overall, this sequel was a disappointment as the show suffers from a weak MC and bland supporting cast, all while the story just makes little sense. Above all, the show was just way too random for its own good (especially in episode 5 when just about everything is random without any direction). It doesn't help with the choice of studios as while Production I.G did an admirable job with the animation, Trigger would have brought it out to its full potential. That said, it still does a nice job with the nostalgia factor all while a couple of episodes were at least worth watching. But as a follow-up to an amazing first season, it's just a huge letdown.

MAL Rating:
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
      Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 6 (Finale)

Well that was an absolute waste of time (and, in my case, fifteen bucks). I have no desire to check out Alternative whatsoever, nor will I be picking up a home video release for either. I feel bad for anyone who really loved FLCL and had high hopes for this built up for over two years. It really never needed to happen. FLCL is still the same six episodes it has been for so long.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
          Re: Episode 6 (Finale)

Well that was an absolute waste of time (and, in my case, fifteen bucks). I have no desire to check out Alternative whatsoever, nor will I be picking up a home video release for either.
          It's a bummer that you're not giving Alternative a fair shot just because of the issues with Progressive, because it really feels like it's going to go a different route.
          Joseph Klemm
          "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
          Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
          Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
          Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

Originally posted by TnAdct1 View Post

It's a bummer that you're not giving Alternative a fair shot just because of the issues with Progressive, because it really feels like it's going to go a different route.
            ^ This - I got way more entertainment and enjoyment out of the 1st episode of Alternative (the one that Toonami aired with subs on April 1st) than I ever got out of all 6 episodes of Progressive.

Comment

I'm very mixed on Progressive. I wanted this to be different from the original but I guess I'll have to wait for Alternative (which I'm still looking forward to). Progressive had a decent start but then 2 sluggish follow ups.
              4 and 5 were everything I was expecting. It was fast paced, had some nice visuals and it kept me interested but it still lacked character development. I liked the idea of Haruko having her personality being split in 2 but they didn't do much with it and it's over right when it get's good. Then in the finale, they decided to drop a whole bunch of development but I stopped caring. Why should I care about plant girl? I don't even know who she really is and what's up with her family?
              Progressive had all these call backs that added to nothing, it was just "Hey remember that from the original series?". There's nothing really unique about it.
              They got really random but like stated above, there's no purpose. They did it just to be random. I'm gonna give this a rewatch in the future but I was pretty let down. Maybe I got too hyped and expected more.

Alternative might be the series I'm looking for because I really wanted Progressive to be it's own thing. Oh well, maybe I should contain my hype for this September.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
              Widgets Magazine
              Working...
              X