X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2018] FLCL Progressive Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    フリクリ プログレ

The sequel to the FLCL OVA series. Haruko is back, but now this alien vespa rider is having crazy adventures with all new characters. This show is only on Toonami at the moment.

Airs: Saturday, June 2, 2018

Studio: Production IG

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Toonami

In the new season of FLCL, many years have passed since Naota and Haruhara Haruko shared their adventure together. Meanwhile, the war between the two entities known as Medical Mechanica and Fraternity rages across the galaxy. Enter Hidomi, a young teenaged girl who believes there is nothing amazing to expect from her average life, until one day when a new teacher named Haruko arrives at her school. Soon enough, Medical Mechanica is attacking her town and Hidomi discovers a secret within her that could save everyone, a secret that only Haruko can unlock.

But why did Haruko return to Earth? What happened to her Rickenbacker 4001 she left with Naota? And where did the human-type robot "Canti" go?

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Ochaco Uraraka, My Hero Academia
    Watching: Unit Pandora, Children of the Whales, Aokana, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Run away with a bang.

This show is every bit as bizarre as I remember it. Having robots coming out of one's forehead was always the thing I remember the most. This time, it's happening to Hidomi as in this season, Naota and Mamimi are all grown up and Hidomi is the one who gets struck that causes that forehead robot syndrome to rear its ugly head. And then that ending where Haruko shows up disguised as the homeroom teacher, that was really something. It's a different setting and certainly it's a dropoff from the first season, but it has a lot of the same charm that I know and like about FLCL.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 06-03-2018, 11:59 AM.
    Simulcasts: MHA, STG, AOT, FRE, OVL, HBD, HSB, BNF, 7SR, GBL, HSL, AAB, DKD, RSL, HDL, 100, ADH, YUY, HRV, EOC, IIZ, NBS, AKJ, IDM-CGG, 1RM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Doesn't feel at all like FLCL to me. Don't get me wrong, a lot of effort is being made to mimic early 2000's Gainax, but not much else.

No offense to Production I.G., but I'd much rather have preferred this in Trigger's hands.

Also, looks like someone got confused, and threw in a Diebuster reference (Plate splitting).
      -Keith

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I never thought FLCL was anything particularly amazing, but this does seem like a significant step down, at least based on the first episode. It still has relatively plenty of time to at least reach its predecessor's level, though. Even with the level it's at now, I still find it decent enough to be worth watching. Would be nice if Adult Swim streamed all the episodes for free, but that seems unlikely.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Yeah, this is easily the weakest of the first episodes when it comes to FLCL (having seen the first episode of Alternative during this year's April Fools stunt by Adult Swim).

To me, I think the problem with the first episode is similar to the issues with UQ Holder: a lot more effort seems to be put towards reminding people of the original series (i.e. the various callbacks, setting up the reveal that the teacher is really Haruko in disguise) than giving viewers a reason to be interested its new characters, which results in something that feels somewhat flat in the end (and has you hoping that things will really start to pick up the following episode).
          Joseph Klemm
          "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
          Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
          Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
          Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

Originally posted by TnAdct1 View Post
            To me, I think the problem with the first episode is similar to the issues with UQ Holder: a lot more effort seems to be put towards reminding people of the original series (i.e. the various callbacks, setting up the reveal that the teacher is really Haruko in disguise) than giving viewers a reason to be interested its new characters, which results in something that feels somewhat flat in the end (and has you hoping that things will really start to pick up the following episode).
            Yeah, it felt more like pandering to cash in on the nostalgia built up over almost twenty years (especially for that generation of Adult Swim kids) than making any attempt to stand on its own and justify its existence beyond just copying the original in every way possible. They recapture that aesthetic quite well for being so much later with little of the original staff still on board, and of course keeping the Pillows doing the music is essential, so I'm sure it will get very good ratings (or else a lot of people will be very disappointed), but FLCL was special (at least, to those who really loved it) because it was so different and original. I don't think you can replicate that lightning in a bottle by simply retreading the same ground, no matter how much it makes people smile and say, "Hey, I remember this from when I was a kid."

It was interesting to see that, despite using new songs for the rest of the episode, they did still use "Little Busters" in the same place as they did in all of the original episodes. But that really is a perfect song for the tone of those post-climax moments, so I'm not complaining.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post

Yeah, it felt more like pandering to cash in on the nostalgia built up over almost twenty years (especially for that generation of Adult Swim kids) than making any attempt to stand on its own and justify its existence beyond just copying the original in every way possible. They recapture that aesthetic quite well for being so much later with little of the original staff still on board, and of course keeping the Pillows doing the music is essential, so I'm sure it will get very good ratings (or else a lot of people will be very disappointed), but FLCL was special (at least, to those who really loved it) because it was so different and original. I don't think you can replicate that lightning in a bottle by simply retreading the same ground, no matter how much it makes people smile and say, "Hey, I remember this from when I was a kid."
              To me, this is why the first episode of Alternative worked better than Progressive: rather than trying to pander to the FLCL fans with numerous shout outs to the original show, Alternative instead focused on telling its own unique tale that stays true to some of the themes of the original story (i.e. putting the focus towards the characters and their struggles in life rather than the craziness involving monstrous robots and items coming out of people's heads). As such, not only does it allow Alternative to stand on its own when it comes to people who haven't watched the original FLCL, but it also it causes people to be more curious about what happens to Kana in the future episodes of the series (whereas the first episode of Progressive has you hoping that the next episode turns out better instead of being interested in what happens to Hidomi).
              Joseph Klemm
              "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
              Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
              Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
              Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

Episode 2

Not turning pro here.

It started out with Hidomi delivering an assignment to Ide as he missed school, and it ended up being a bizarre adventure as Hidomi ventured into the slums where Ide is working hard to make ends meet, and the things just implode from there with a robot coming out of a car, a robot coming out of Hidomi's forehead, and Haruko's signature guitar smash move to blow this whole place up. All while poor Ide becomes a punching bag much like Ta-kun was in the first season. Haruko may be older, but she certainly hasn't changed.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I happened to be in a hotel for A-Kon, so I got to see this episode for free as well!

I'm enjoying the series a little more now. Still not on the level of the original, but I feel like it's establishing its own identity a bit better now.

Some interesting issues the dub had to address, especially with the unusual perspective of not having the Japanese version to compare it to. I'm guessing the guy speaking Japanese was originally speaking English, and that the word game was shiritori.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

It's all adolescence.

It's off to the beach where Mori has a rental date in Aiko, while Hidomi gets kidnapped, and Jinyu suddenly goes missing as well. After blowing a lot of money to rent Aiko, he gets a flower pot, which isn't exactly just any ordinary flower pot, and Hidomi's headphones sure aren't ordinary as well. Haruko has sure been acting crazy there getting Ide to take off those headphones not realizing that bad things happen when they get removed. Quite a crazy sequence of events that turned out to be after a seemingly normal day at the beach.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Well I went ahead and bought the season on Amazon, but I liked this episode a lot less than the previous one. Less than the first, even. Perhaps even significantly. I kind of have to see how this turns out, but I'm definitely disappointed so far. Hopefully it doesn't get bad enough to have to drop it, since I paid for the rest of the season. At least I'll have watched most of it.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

Not going with her.

So after what Ide did, Hidomi is going all-out genki, a far cry from the type of person she normally is, and as such Haruko and Jinyu concoct a plan to return her to normal by destroying the receptors. Haruko sure did go overboard there, and not only did they come out of Hidomi's forehead, but a bamboo pole comes out of Marco's. But after all that, the ending was pretty ominous there with Haruko absorbing Jinyu, but Hidomi is not going to follow whatever crazy scheme Haruko has cooked up. Just more crazy adventures there going to show just how nuts Haruko is.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Yeah, definitely losing me more and more with each episode. Just two more episodes, so the next one has to just not disappoint me so much that I have to give up on the season before its finale. Seems like they were channeling some Gurren Lagann in this episode, somewhat fitting in a full circle kind of way, but it would be even more the case if this had been produced by Trigger as it would truly show their growth since Imaishi showed off his skill and style in his lesser roles in the original FLCL.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

Not even pregnancy can stop her.

Things just keep on getting more and more random here, and while it adheres to the crazy nature of the show, this episode was just a mess beyond comprehension. Quite a lot of bizarre things going on here from Haruko getting pregnant and quitting her job as a teacher over it, but still managing to dominate against Ide in a fight, to that inflatable thingamajig that flies away, to the amusement park rides becoming a mecha, and of course Hidomi turning cyborg to take down Haruko. But before all that happens, there's an even bigger threat that makes this not exactly the best time to be fighting each other. One more episode left for this season that has just been a disappointment and hopefully Alternative will be a much better than this.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

I get that they're trying different art styles, but this really just looked like garbage all the way through. They seemed to want to do a manga segment like the original, but it completely misses what made those segments so memorable, discarding all of their dynamism and creative direction in favor of the most straightforward depiction of a manga scene in an anime and rendering it utterly pointless. The events of the episode were also hard to care about. I can't imagine much of this series becoming anywhere near as iconic as nearly every moment of the original, whether you loved it or not (again, I didn't; I just liked it).

At this point, I am going to watch the finale, but it seems likely that I won't find the time I spent on this season worthwhile, in which case I won't bother with Alternative. Maybe it's better, but I never needed more FLCL in the first place, so I won't subject myself to another potential of disappointment when the chances of it completely changing my mind about the value of FLCL sequels are so much lower than any much more negative outcome.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine