X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2018] Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ヲタクに恋は難しい

A show about an otaku man and a fujoshi lady who reunite or the first time since middle school in the workplace and falling in love with each other as they are having such a hard time finding love.

Airs: Thursday, April 12, 2018

Studio: A-1 Pictures

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

After discovering that they work at the same company, a gaming crazed otaku and a fujoshi reunite for the first time since middle school. After some post-work drinking sessions they begin dating, but will it be a perfect relationship for the two?

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Only otakus are compatible with otakus.

That was really awkward seeing all of the quirky situations that Narumi got herself into. She's trying her hardest to hide her hobbies seeing that her ex-boyfriend dumped her when he found out about her dirty hobby, but that's not going to be easy when she meets her childhood friend by chance in the workplace, who is well aware of her hobbies. Not to mention, another co-worker is an otaku herself who is a big fan of stuff from Narumi's doujin circle. At least her buddies are willing to keep her hobby a secret in the workplace, so all is well for now.

That was pretty funny seeing all of these awkward situations arise whether it be talking about doujin works, going to Comiket, or playing games while in the office. But getting acquainted with other otakus is what Narumi needed more than anything. And then there's that advertisement for Saekano as this Noitamina show is getting a movie. That was a pretty amusing reaction that Narumi when she saw that.

Seeing that this is one of the shows I was most looking forward to this season that chances are great that this will be on my watchlist. That said, I'm not quite ready to lock it in just yet.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So... are we actually going to get the rest of the series on Thursday like every other region does? I hope so, because I do like it. A simple otaku sitcom, basically, but it's always nice to have working adults as the characters, seemingly all of them in this case, and of course I have a soft spot for stories of otaku, especially when there's a strong sense of camaraderie between them and a positive message about accepting and encouraging people's passions. If the romance is believable and cute, all the better. With fairly solid production values, it's a worthy inclusion for the season all-around, if nothing extraordinary.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 1

When Narumi talks about former boyfriends at the informal Japanese pub, she uses the NanJ dialect, which is used by habitues of the NanJ bulletin board of 2ch.

The emoticon which Hirotaka has used is one which otaku often use.

When Narumi has finished the work, Hirotaka has said, 'Otsu.' It is a shortened form of 'otsukaresama,' which is a phrase to appreciate the pains somebody has taken.
        'Otsu' is often used on 2ch.

In the informal Japanese pub scene near to the end of the episode, Narumi said, 'Are bar seats OK?' when she entered the pub.
        Actually, this 'OK' is not an ordinary English 'OK', and it is written in a nonstandard way (a mixture of the hiragana and the Latin letter).
        This nonstandard 'OK' is often used on 2ch.

In the informal Japanese pub scene near to the end of the episode, when Narumi is laughing, her laugh is represented as 'www' on the screen. That 'w' is the initial letter of 'warai' (laugh) or slangier 'wara'.
        That 'w' is often used on 2ch.

I bought and read the Love is Hard for Otaku manga, on which the anime version is based, when its tankobon was released in 2015 in Japan, and those slang/argot things have already appeared also in the Love is Hard for Otaku manga.

So Love is Hard for Otaku is otacky/2ch-ish, also language-wise.www

Comment

Episode 2

Going out as otakus.

The quirkiness just keeps on building here as Narumi comically keeps on avoiding Hirotaka there, and you can't blame her seeing that it's the very reason why her previous relationship tanked. But with him, Koyonagi, and Kabakura around, the chances of that happening are pretty slim. So the four go to Animate where they bought quite a lot of stuff, and I like all the references to other shows like The Ancient Magus' Bride and Yuru Yuri. And of course, when guys are up all night reading manga and stuff, they are going to be sleep-deprived coming into work the next day. This show just continues to deliver on the comedy in a big way.

So with that, this show has clinched its spot on the season watchlist. It helps that I was so high on this show coming in, and so far it has delivered in what is shaping up to be the best comedy of the season.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Good, we are getting them on time now. Still a fun time with some likable otaku, if not much else quite yet. We need more exploration of Kabakura's otaku.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Love is a game.

It's off to Comiket where Narumi is selling doujinshi, and then to Hirotaka's home to play some video games, as well as to get a glimpse off his amazingly impressive figure collection. He sure does love those Nintendo games that dates far back as Donkey Kong Country on the SNES. I sure do remember how fun that game was back in my youth. And then there's Mario Kart on the Wii. Those two were always meant for each other as things go much more smoothly when interests and hobbies align, which is exactly what the case is here. There are still lots of quirks to work out as indicated when those figures get turned around, but it's easier to work out with when they accept their otakudoms.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Man, that was a ton of fun. I'm glad this show is already decent enough, because even if it was only borderline watchable, it would still be my guilty pleasure. Now it gets to be highly enjoyable.

Even just the first half at Comiket was more than satisfying, reminding me a great deal of many times at conventions and getting to have fun with our female characters in their element far more than usual, as well as their male counterparts having a more casual experience that makes for an overall very entertaining dynamic.

I thought it was cute enough for Narumi to be stressing about sex when Hirotaka just wants to play games, but turning it into a full cast sleepover made it so much better; Hirotaka is rather adorable himself, and while I'm not much of a gamer, I can definitely relate to his character in a lot of ways. Kabakura is still the least prominent otaku of the group so far, but as a character, he's starting to shape up to be a very likable character, particularly as Hana-chan's other half. I may have had more fun with the Comiket portion, but the latter half definitely developed the characters and their relationships nicely.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

There's more to love than just being otakus.

The focus is on Hanako and Kabakura as they are in love, but even though they are both otakus, they aren't exactly seeing eye-to-eye with each other, and things got quite heated between these two lovers. While having common interests in otakudom helps out, unfortunately these two still have a lot to learn, and Narumi is taking note of that since her relationship with Hirotaka is like that. Seeing those two fight was hilarious, and things are all well and good in the end.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

As soon as Hanako said "I did it all in one night!" I immediately thought of Gevanni, but I didn't think they were actually going for that very specific reference. Maybe that's a more popular line than I realized.

I do appreciate exploring the romantic relationships of each of the couples, especially since we didn't know much about how Hanako and Kabakura got together, but drunken crying fights over liking 2D characters and falling into each other's arms as they call each other ugly and throw around other insults isn't my idea of the best material.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

Little brother's got no game.

Here comes Hirotaka's little brother Naoya, who Narumi meets for the first time since elementary school, and he has quite a lively personality there. That was pretty funny seeing Kabakura thinking that Nao is Narumi's ex, but he ought to be sure about that before coming to that realization and making such a statement. And while I wouldn't expect him to be good at games, he's just beyond bad. It's pretty obvious that they are playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl on the Wii there (as if Kabakura playing with a Gamecube controller isn't evidence enough, all the stuff happening while they are playing pretty much days it all), and not knowing how to even attack goes to show that he hasn't been playing any games despite living with a hardcore gamer. Pretty nice get-together there to do even more reconnecting.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

I suppose we should have a normal in the mix for some variety. I would've thought that might've come from the office, but Hirotaka's little brother works fine. Nothing really grabbed me this episode, although nothing really bothered me either, so it fits somewhere in between my enjoyment of the past two episodes.

Hopefully they can do something more interesting with Nao than "He sure is normal and bad at games" but I'm not sure what that would be. I suppose just giving him a real character arc would be ideal. I can see the potential. There's something a little ironic about the four hardcore nerds being in relationships and the one trendy kid seemingly not. Maybe there will be opportunity for some romance involving him as well. Obviously it won't be with any of the established characters (as much as the imaginations of Kabakura and Hanko assumed that was the case), but it seems like pairing him up with another nerdy girl (or boy) would be the obvious choice to continue his running gag. Or he could find someone with a little more in common, but that doesn't seem like his role.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 6

You're not you when you're favorite manga character dies.

Once again, the characters are getting into awkward situations there, first with somebody forgetting to bring their umbrella on a rainy day, then Narumi not quite being herself as she's acting normal for a change as the result of her favorite manga character dying in the most recent chapters. And then comes Christmas where Kabakura is working extra hard, Nao has a "hard" job to do, Hanako is still reeling from her worst Christmas ever last year, and Narumi had been saving up for the special Gacha event seeing that she had been looking forward to it all year. And of course, the end result of all is a bunch of crazy otaku conversations going on, especially with what Narumi tells Nao about exploding. But a limited edition present will change that.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

I wonder if the friend that Nao mentioned saying something similar to Narumi is a hint of him getting an otaku partner in the future, particularly with it being in the middle of him noting that he's single. Looks like he'll be outside of the main circle, appearing maybe once an episode in one context or another. He's almost unbearably sappy, but he's so earnest that it's hard not to love him. I guess that's the innate talent of a normal like him.

Another Christmas episode at a time that doesn't feel remotely like Christmas. Kabakura is a good guy, and I'm glad we got some hints of how excited he can get about his passions, since we haven't had nearly enough of that from him.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 7

Recovering an MMO Junkie.

It was inevitably going to happen when the four are playing an online game together, and that's exactly what happens here. Hirotaka is just so overpowered that he can be lazy and still beat that rare monster that the other three aren't strong enough to beat on their own. It was to be expected that Hanako would wear a DLC outfit in the game seeing that she's a hardcore cosplayer, and only the best will do, all while Narumi goes for something cute given her nature. And then it's back to work after the holidays as they have some pretty awkward conversations there about who to date. Pretty quirky stuff once again, and it makes for a great comedy.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X