Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 6

Good thing they got around to the point eventually, because that was a pretty boring first half or so. They did the Tiger & Bunny thing where they used real companies as sponsors in their fictional setting, allowing them to be real sponsors for the show. Oh, business.

Sousuke with a smirk on his face going up against people who have no idea what they're dealing with is fun, though, and now we have an Amalgam connection as well.
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 7

He's fighting against himself.

Sousuke's opponent in this "match" that's actually designed to be an execution is an M9 piloted by George Lovelock, a former Mithril soldier who was captured by Amalgam and is being forced to fight for them. While it appears to be quite the mismatch, Sousuke's familiarity with this machine turned out to be the difference. He wins by luring the M9 into one of the ruins and then burying it. Just as Sousuke survived, his comrades also face a lot of trouble. Nami's comrades were nearly turned into pig feed, but Lemon broke. And then comes a gigantic cliffhanger at the end with Nami held at gunpoint. Once again, Sousuke has an amazing way of thinking when it comes to the battlefield, and that made all the difference just when it looked like the odds were heavily stacked against him.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
      Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 7

So this said it was Giant Killing and starred Tomokazu Seki, but I didn't see one soccer ball...

Nami is a Whispered and Lemon is not what he seems. Drama!
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 8

Misery knows company.

Damn, that Kurama sure is a monstrosity and then some. First, he kills Nami in cold blood by shooting her before he said he would. And then he takes out Sousuke with a sneak attack, as well as some of Lemon's comrades just when it looked like he was cornered. It took a cleverly laid-out trap by Sousuke to take him down, but by then the damage had been done, and all Sousuke could do was agonize in pain. Quite a brutal turn of events that was, and seeing Nami killed in front of his eyes set off a spark. I wonder how exactly Sousuke is going to recover from this one as he let down a girl once again.
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Goddamn, when it seems like this season lets up for a second, it makes up for it without another harrowing death fest like this. How Sousuke is going to continue getting through all of this alive is the greatest mystery of all. How many will die in his path? Probably not the original main cast, but any new characters are probably fair game.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 9

There's trouble all around the world.

Things are quite a big mess after everything that happened. Tessa is in the hospital in San Francisco after managing to escape the island, Sousuke is on an island in the middle of the Pacific, and Kaname is somewhere in Mexico with Leonard. The focus is on Tessa here as Fowler has set up show for Amalgam there. Melissa was disguised as a nurse there, which was what got them out of the jam, but Fowler is on the loose. And then there's Sousuke who was out for two months and was knocking on death's door, but somehow he managed to escape death. He's still alive, but boy does he look miserable. And then there's Chidori and she's still thinking about Sousuke even after everything Amalgam has done to her. Lots of fallout went on, and now this is all about picking up the pieces as Amalgam has been having their way.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

Another seemingly unplanned recap episode and this still ends up being delayed until later in the day. Some crazy production issues with this stores. And it's not like this episode seemed like it would be very intensive. A good episode, but not that action-heavy or anything.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 10

Everybody get back on your feet.

This episode is pretty much all about getting the motivation and willpower back after all the hell everybody went through, and none more so than with Sousuke as he escapes death yet again, but he got up just in time and did some quick thinking to not only get out of this jam, but to hit it up in Florida with an old acquaintance of his that allows him and Lemon's gang to strategize. While that's going on, Tessa is rallying Mithril to fight back, and after taking a dip, Kaname is focused again to doing what it takes to get back to Sousuke. So that sets the stage for the final push, but it's going to be awhile before that happens as Xebec has been asleep at the wheel in producing this show that should have ended today, but because of production problems we get two recap episodes instead, and will have to wait until July 18 to finish this.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

Oh man, we're at the end of the season and we still have two more weeks until we can finish off this show. Funny how that happens when you have two unplanned recap episodes. While I've been fairly pleased with the production we have gotten when they actually put an episode out, this episode did seem like it was starting to come apart at the seams with sloppy art. Should be a fun last couple of episodes. Let's see if they can actually get through them without any more skipped weeks or just completely falling apart. If this is what we get when there's not much going on, it's a little worrying that we have the big finale coming up. Hopefully they're just focusing their time and resources on that since it matters more.

Very much a calm-before-the-storm, part-training episode, but at least it has some gratuitous English swearing to keep it properly militant. And a Kalinin twist to leave off on, but obviously that's not quite what it seems.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 11

Getting back to where he belongs.

Sousuke follows through with the operation, and things aren't working out as he had planned exactly with the element of surprise quickly snuffed out, but nevertheless he goes through with it realizing that there might not be another chance to get Chidori back. And Kalinin was up to something as indicated in the previous episode, and as it turns out he betrays Mithril and joins Amalgam providing him with an M9 to show his loyalty. The plot just thickens there as while Sousuke is back with his comrades after Mao saves his bacon there, now there's Kalinin to deal with.

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

It's her life.

So it ends with the story far from complete as while Sousuke returns and Chidori has found her resolve to live, she is still held captive by Amalgam. That was a pretty convincing speech through the radio by Chidori there as she threatened to kill herself if the chopper didn't turn back as a means to confess her love to Sousuke in what was planned to be a way of saying goodbye, and while it looked like an act, Chidori was serious about killing herself until hearing Sousuke's words. And I like that it played the theme songs from the first season during those scenes. So Chidori went from being too chicken to kill Leonard to being too chicken to kill herself, to someone who will do whatever it takes to get back to Sousuke. In the end, Sousuke is back with Mithril, all while Lemon joins the group having fallen for Tessa. Well, it was a nice episode to say the least, but not exactly an ideal one to end the series on with Amalgam still at large, Chidori still in their possession, and Kalinin's motives for jumping ship unclear. To be continued, and hopefully Xebec will do a much better job if a fifth season is coming.

Overall, this show is still a great show to watch, just nowhere near as good as The Second Raid when this show was at its peak. The show still delivers on its core strengths with great characters, excellent drama, and intense action. However, this season is hurt by two major issues. First of all, the animation is a huge step down as while Xebec specializes in mecha, it just pales in comparison to the masterful job KyoAni does. And the other major issue is the story flow as things seem to be jumping from place to place without really connecting things. Besides that, this show does a good job in being a worthy entry to this franchise, but one that could have been improved with better planning as having those delays are a strong indication that the directors were too tentative in their approach to this adaptation.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Re: Episode 11

It's about time. Goddamn. Three weeks since the last episode and it still doesn't look that good. I want a documentary of the making of this series. I bet it would be way better than the show itself.

Guess they're holding out on turning Kalinin back into a good guy until the finale. They're trying very hard to make us believe that it won't happen, but I'm still not buying it. At least I can find out immediately. Either way, I could see him dying at this point, with a good chance of it being in a noble sacrifice to save Chidori.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 12 (Finale)

Jesus, after all that, we get the least conclusive finale possible? Well I guess I have nothing to say after all. Let's hope someone a little more competent can bring us another few cours, however long it takes to complete the story, before too much longer.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Series

There are times when I regret putting aside a series to binge watch. There's always the danger it'll get put aside for who-knows-how-long, if ever. Not that there was ever a danger with an FMP! series. But, boy, am I glad I decided to wait on this show, binging 7-12. I have to say, this show would've been really annoying to wait through all the delays, not even counting the clip shows.

As endings go, this is far from the worst, but it's more like a stopping point for 2-season cour show than for who-knows-how-long it'll be before this story continues. They could end this with another season or more, or have a movie as the finale.

What I liked:
                              It showed the growth of Souske and Chidori's feelings for each other, with an actual confession, from both.
                              It really put everyone through the wringer, making the ending seem a true accomplishment for the good guys.
                              The anger of the classmates at Sousuke, misplaced, but believable.
                              Nami. A great character who we knew too briefly.
                              Sousuke being Sousuke. He's been out for 56 days, yet he still manages to take out an enemy trying to kill him.
                              Tessa. We really got to see her as a commander in ways that we've never seen before. We also see the stress command and the loses her command has sustained wear on her. We got some very good Tessa time this season, and I'm not just talking about her tossing and turning while topless as she deals with the weight of the human costs of her war with Amalgam.
                              Kurama. Man, what an evil SOB! Cunning and a good match for Sousuke, he made the mistake of giving our boy too much motivation.

What I didn't like:
                              Well, this won't be on the list as best ever FMP! series. It's a high standard, and this remained a good show, but there were some issues.
                              We never really get the notion as to what's going on with Lemon and his team. Were they checking out Nami as a Whispered, trying to get info on Amalgam, both?
                              Clip shows? That's clip shows plural! It's one thing to do this with a 24, 26, 36 or more episode series, it's quite another to need 2 clip shows for a 12 episode series.
                              The animation ranged from good to outstanding, but was not as good as the preceding seasons.
                              Time was not on our side. Not counting the clip shows issue, too many threads were left hanging, an I'm not talking about the end. We still know too little about Amalgam and its factions, too little about Leonard, too little about too many things going on in the series. For instance , we've no idea if Gavin Hunter survived or not. It's not bad, and Lord knows I've seen worse, but this needed a few more rewrites to properly fit in at 12 episodes.
                              Chidori. Her reaction at Sousuke's world crossing over into her own, where it puts others at risk, others at injury, others at death, is not something she was prepared for, and she doesn't handle it well. Which is fine. However, it took too damn long for the girl to get her moxie back, and when she does, it doesn't feel like there's any particular reason for her to do so. So, loved the confession, but that scene needed something to trigger her getting back to her normal feisty self, and it didn't have it. On the plus side, we have her swimming and running around in her undies.
                              Kalinin. His betrayal sucks, as he's been such a great character for so many episodes. But when you realize that Mithril has been self-describing themselves as mercenaries, and we know he used to work for the Soviets (the Soviet Union never fell in this universe), so switching sides is something he's done before.
                              Leonard. There's just too little known to make him the master villain at this point.
                              More is needed. Whether this needs a cour or more to wrap up, or if it can be done in a movie, who knows? But Chidori's still with Amalgam, Leonard's got 3 badass new mechs piloted by his chief subordinates, so this screams of more being needed.
                              World building. Not enough was done in this series. More was badly needed.

Indeed, you have to ask: What was the point? This was a great classic anime series, and for it to be resurrected was great, considering there was still plenty of material out there. But why bring it back for an inconclusive cour? It just has a WTF feeling to it ending like this, with "well, some day we hope to see you again" which is just stupid to plot this out without a larger picture.

Still, flaws aside, and sad as Nami's death was, it was still good to see it back.
                              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X