X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2018] Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    フルメタル・パニック!Invisible Victory

The fourth Full Metal Panic series. Sousuke continues his job being an undercover student for a military squad protecting Kaname while fighting wars with his mecha. And while that's happening, this military maniac is going through his bizarre school life.

Airs: Friday, April 13, 2018

Studio: Xebec

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Under fire again.

So it begins with Leonard out to squash Mithril so that Amalgam can reign supreme, and he's pulling out all the stops to take down Sousuke and Kaname. Pretty much, it's all about getting reacquainted with everybody seeing that it has been 13 years since The Second Raid, and I remember just how much of a menace Leonard is. But now, he's out for blood, and already Sousuke has found himself in big trouble getting surrounded by a bunch of enemy soldiers while in the van with Kaname. Pretty solid start here as it does the job in getting to what this show is all about on the military front (though on the school life front, it didn't do much aside from Hayashimizu giving some words of advice to Sousuke).

In any case, it's great to be back with this show, and while mecha shows are what Xebec does best, their quality is nowhere near what KyoAni typically puts out.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

It's been a long time, Full Metal Panic! Not bad, but it's definitely disappointing to take this step down when KyoAni could accomplish so much more a decade and a half ago. We'll see how the plot of this one goes. I actually liked the series best as a comedy, but it was just really well executed.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

They're out to get them.

That was quite an intense episode there with Sousuke and Kaname being chased over town by a bunch of guys in suits and androids. While that is happening, the Mithril base also comes under fire. Things are looking bad for everybody there, and while Sousuke and Kaname got away, now their friends have been kidnapped and the enemy is threatening to kill them, all while there's a traitor at Mithril, but Tessa is willing to overlook it for now as surviving is their top priority. Lots of drama here as Sousuke and company got themselves in a lot of trouble already.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

They're not fucking around this season. Goddamn. Is this ever going to calm down? It's hard to imagine how our heroes are ever going to make it out of this without any critical losses, but with the way it seems like they'll have to just barely scrape by, it has the potential to be a pretty fucking intense season. They'll certainly have to mix it up a bit, but this is clearly what they're going for right now, and they certainly have that down.

Chidori's innocence being stripped away as she experiences so much more death and destruction than she ever could've contemplated just a short time ago (at least it doesn't appear that much time has passed since the beginning of the series) is probably the most interesting piece of storytelling in an episode otherwise packed exclusively with military battles. The rest of the cast is well and good, but they're all used to this. The battle has made its way into Sousuke and Chidori's civilian world more than ever now, with bystanders being injured and maybe killed because of them, and a lot of onlookers seeing things they shouldn't. There should be quite a bit of hell to pay after all of this is over.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episodes 1 & 2

Episode 1

There's very little build up for this season. It's straight up into the action even in Episode 1. We have Leonard, Tessa's evil brother, making a play for Chidori, as there are clearly different factions within Amalgam, and it looks like the faction that is now in charge has a simple philosophy: Kill everyone.

We get some nice school moments, with the student council prez showing that how truly observant he is, which actually casts an entire new light on his somewhat seemingly goofy decisions regarding Sousuke and Chidori, which seemed odd, considering how clearly intelligent the guy was. Now we see how truly intelligent he actually was.

And then the excrement starts to hit the fan, with Sousuke on the run with Chidori, and a major all-out assault by Amalgam taking place.

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
            Re: Episode 2

They're not fucking around this season. Goddamn. Is this ever going to calm down? It's hard to imagine how our heroes are ever going to make it out of this without any critical losses, but with the way it seems like they'll have to just barely scrape by, it has the potential to be a pretty fucking intense season. They'll certainly have to mix it up a bit, but this is clearly what they're going for right now, and they certainly have that down.

Chidori's innocence being stripped away as she experiences so much more death and destruction than she ever could've contemplated just a short time ago (at least it doesn't appear that much time has passed since the beginning of the series) is probably the most interesting piece of storytelling in an episode otherwise packed exclusively with military battles. The rest of the cast is well and good, but they're all used to this. The battle has made its way into Sousuke and Chidori's civilian world more than ever now, with bystanders being injured and maybe killed because of them, and a lot of onlookers seeing things they shouldn't. There should be quite a bit of hell to pay after all of this is over.
            Episode 2

Well, I have to say agree with almost everything you have to say about episode 2, save for a very important error you made in your evaluation:

You damn fucking well didn't use the word "fucking" nearly enough to described what a fucking fuckfest of a shithole Mithril, Chidori and Sousuke are fucking fucked up in.

Yep. Wow. Intense is the word I was going to use as well, knowing full well that it's a massive understatement. This show is all out action, and things are looking not just bad, but downright dreadful for the good guys. Chidori is dealing with trauma she didn't expect to have to deal with. When she's been in danger in the past, it's been her own life at stake, or solely surrounded by professionals (or in an isolated situation, such as the hijacking in the first series). The reality that Sousuke's world could cross over into her own world, meaning innocents are caught in the crossfire and she's not allowed to try and help them, is something she's not prepared herself for, and the result is definite mental trauma.

Meanwhile, back on Merida Island, things are going from bad to worse for Tessa and company, although we now have a great opportunity to see why Tessa really is the Captain. If you remember the problems they had in dealing with the Behemoth mech in the first series, Merida Island is being invaded by 3 of these monsters equipped with Lambda Drivers, and a dozen incoming aircraft loaded with invasion troops (and likely regular mechs), are coming from the opposite direction. The obvious answer is to escape in their super fast, undetectable stealth submarine, except it's been tied up in maintenance, and needs a half day to be ready to sail.

And then, after much bloodshed, Sousuke and Chidori escape in the Arbalest mech, Chidori is threatened with the reality of her friends, starting with Kyoko, being in enemy hands.

Whoa.

This episode reminds me of what the great author Lois McMaster Bujold said about how she approaches writing: Taking her characters and figuring out the worst things she could do to them. And that is what the creative talents behind FMP have done in this series.

As others have said, the animation isn't as good as the original series, but it's not garbage. This season is off to a great start, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this season.
            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 3

Coming under fire.

After an intense episode surrounding Sousuke the last time, things are just as intense this time with the island coming under attack. Speck sacrificed himself to keep Kurz alive, while Castello takes the blow so that Mao could escape from her broken down mecha. The enemies just keep on coming, and that leads to Tessa abandoning the island, though Kurz is not exactly thrilled with that decision. Meanwhile, Sousuke tries to bring hope for Kaname while their classmates are held hostage. The situation just keeps on swelling.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Watching Mithril engage in mecha warfare doesn't do it for me quite as much, but Kurz and Mao are good characters, so it's still nice to catch up with them a bit more, in a similarly intense vein as we've been catching up with Sousuke and Chidori. I'm looking forward to getting back to them for more than a few minutes and really delving into the hostage situation that Kyouko and, unknowingly, their other schoolmates are wrapped up in. Even though the situation continues to be rather pressing, I am glad they took a moment to reflect upon the madness they're caught up in, especially Chidori. This is old hat for Sousuke, but Chidori has a lot to ponder, especially with the knowledge that this is all happening because of her. It's a good thing she's such a resilient person, or this would've easily broken her by now. Her perspective of Sousuke as she looks upon him as a love interest yet watches him kill people is definitely a conundrum.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

Still alive.

That was quite an intense rescue operation there, and some great thinking by Sousuke to get Hayashimizu to sound the alarm and evacuate the students thinking that Sousuke's jamming device is poisonous gas. And then to rescue Kyoko, he had to kill a couple of thugs with Wraith's help, who was disguised as the homeroom teacher. The students are safe, but Kaname has been taken as she surrendered herself when Sousuke's mecha was reduced to a pile of scrap. That was a pretty intense way to put an end to the attack, but nevertheless Sousuke has a huge task at hand after suffering such a defeat.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

What a packed episode. As much as it seems that Sousuke and friends will continue to triumph through all the insurmountable odds, it all comes crumbling down at the end, with Arbalest in ruins, Chidori willingly in the hands of the enemy as her only way to stop all the violence, and Sousuke's secret finally out in the open completely. This season has had no interest in school antics, and that world may be completely out of the picture for a while, as Sousuke has to commit himself entirely to rescuing Chidori from her captors before they can do any irreparable damage.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

A clip show? A god damn clipshow? What the hell is a clipshow doing in a show airing in 2018?

Comment

Episode 5

It's not the mecha, it's the one who pilots it.

And now, it's onto some South Asian town. For a moment there, I thought that was Kurz being an undercover photographer, but that's not the same guy as he is some Frenchman named Lemon. He gets himself into trouble when Dao aggressively pursues him, but in comes Nami to save the day. It turns out, these two have quite a nasty relationship as they are competitors in a mecha fighting arena, and Dao plays dirty by murdering the pilot for Nami's team, but in comes Sousuke to save the day managing to win in that hunk of junk that is useless in a war, but is good for an arena fight. Nami sure did make a great impression there, and those three have developed a solid relationship already. The question now is what exactly Sousuke is doing here, and how it relates to getting Kaname back.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Hey Sousuke, I think you're supposed to be doing something else. I could be wrong, but there's this nagging feeling that something was left a little unresolved.

A little frustrating to not acknowledge how this side excursion will somehow turn out to be the most efficient way for Sousuke to rescue Kaname from the clutches of her highly dangerous captors, especially when production of this episode clearly ran into some major issues, as indicated by a sudden, unannounced clip show so early in the series and with no purpose or new material. No idea why this was the episode that they fell apart on, since it looks like it would be less involved than any of the other ones so far, but maybe that's just the point at which their slight head start ran out, which doesn't bode well for the future of the series at all. At least none of the real episodes they've put out have been lacking in quality, as long as you don't think about how the show would look if KyoAni was still behind it.

On the bright side, Sohsky Seagull is the greatest bastardization of a Japanese name I've seen in a long time. I also do find this setting somewhat intriguing. Feels like this could be in Roanapur or something.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                            I also do find this setting somewhat intriguing. Feels like this could be in Roanapur or something.
                            Hah, so I wasn't the only one thinking that.

Comment

Episode 6

Winning comes at a price.

Sousuke made quite a name for himself in the arena, but that has drawn a lot of attention to him, and that's not exactly a good thing. He got arrested, and all of the sudden he is starting to remember why he came to Namsac as that enemy organization has a bunch of henchmen there who fight in the arena. Just when things are going well between Sousuke and Nami, all of the sudden the mission has created problems.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X