X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2018] Last Period Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ラストピリオド -終わりなき螺旋の物語-

A show about a magic user is out to become a Period and goes on a quest to reach his goals.

Airs: Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Studio: J.C. Staff

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

"Period" is how magic users called who beat "Spiral"?monsters that were summoned from isolation. Due to the rise of these beings, 14-year-old apprentice Period Haru, who is a part of the Eighth Arc-end Division, is called to break the cycle and cast himself into the endless battle. However, a mysterious thievery occurred and sank the division into bankruptcy, forcing Haru and his other comrades have to leave their headquarters. To rebuild a branch, they have to overcome quest after quest.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Hey, must be the money!

And it begins with Haru determined to become a Period, which brings with it lots of job opportunities, but before that can happen, they need to rebuild their branch office as it's about to be shut down after it got robbed. So their first quest takes them to a village built on money to bust some small-fry spirals. But before that happens, they encounter Wiseman, who is basically a parody of Team Rocket, and a one-star servant is just no match against a five-star servant. It's a long road ahead for these guys, but at least they seem to be having fun.

So with that, I'll give it a couple more episodes before deciding on this show. Substancewise, it's pretty abysmal as I expected with the story being a joke and is meant to advertise a smartphone game. But if nothing else, it's a fun show to watch as the humor is solid and the characters are interesting.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

That's no way to restore a hot springs town.

The next quest takes Haru and company out to a hot springs town where they help bring it back to its former glory after it had dried up. While they are starved for ideas, Wiseman's fanservice overload anime is just nuts. In the end, they didn't have to resort to that plan as the reason is because a spiral had been blocking the water line, and once again Haru's game could only manage to summon a measly one-star monk while Wiseman has a five-star servant that saves the day this time around rather than beat the monk up to a bloody pulp. Pretty much, it's a repeat of the first episode, but it looks like things will be different next time.

So I'll keep going for now, but right now it's a longshot to make the watchlist. The Team Rocket-like trio is what keeps my interest, but other than that it's pretty much designed to advertise their smartphone game more than anything.

Comment

Episode 3

Must be the curse of Oyashiro.

This is a parody of Higurashi as instead of a dam being proposed that would flood a rural village should it get built, it's a theme park that would require the mayor's house to get demolished seeing that there's quite a lot of history in it. So in what was advertised as a mission to exterminate periods, that was just there to lure adventurers. The ones responsible for making the mayor's mansion a haunted house is his brother, who did this to scare away the construction workers. The mayor has the Higurashi kids at his disposal, but of course unlike in the TV series, they aren't madmen and thus opt not to fight. That was a pretty hilarious parody of Higurashi.

So with that, I'll watch for one more episode before making a decision on this show. While it had been lacking in substance, it has been a fun show so far. Nevertheless, it has quite a huge hill to climb if I am to include this on my already-crowded season watchlist.

Comment

Episode 4

Who wants to be a zellionaire?

And against all odds, Haru and company hit the jackpot with that lottery ticket. Everybody goes all-out spending it like crazy, but Haru took that guy's advice to keep on doing his job, all while he's hesitant to splurge to the point where he's teaming up with Wiseman to get away from his party's crazy spending habits. That commoner's mentality sure did come in handy as while everybody else want overboard with spending, they should have invested in a security system because they got robbed again and are back to square one. That just goes to show that there are people who make millions, yet quickly go bankrupt because they didn't have the presence of mind to invest and save thinking that it will never run out.

So with that, the trial period for this show has ended, and at this point, it's on the bubble and will be one of the last shows in or the first ones out. Substancewise, this show has been a joke, but even so there is some pretty solid entertainment value to it.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

I feel like this show was trying to teach a lesson about corruption, but Liza's tits made me forget any lesson. Also I'm still trying to figure out just what goal our "mysterious" villain who totally doesn't look like Campanella is even up to. I mean if she's secretly doing it for the good of the group, I'd love to know how this helps them. If she's doing it because of revenge, I'd like them to reveal her motivation sooner or later.
            "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
            Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Episode 5

Better luck next time, Haru.

And now, this has turned into a documentary as Haru's misadventures are chronicled, and in particular the fact that for some reason, he's summoning nothing but one star servants. Iona insists it's luck, but something is definitely broken about the machine. Haru makes an obvious reference to Fate/Grand Order there where by using saint quartz to make ten summons you are guaranteed a four-star draw. But the luna stones are nowhere near as valuable as saint quartz, so he's summoning more one-star before finally getting a two-star with his final draw. And just like that, he's broke. Pretty funny to see how Haru can't catch a break, all while the documentary has some cute bear girls in it.

So this show is on an extended trial as it's one of two shows left in the running for my final spot on my watchlist. I'll be making my final decision after watching one more episode of each show to the end of their extended trial periods.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

I almost want them to do an episode dedicated to those One Stars. In any case, one of two things has to be true at this point. Either Iona is incompetent or Iona is secretly working for the bad guys and has been putting on act. Things are a bit too convenient. Would be funny though if in the long run, it ends up being the One Stars that save the day.
                "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"

Comment

Episode 6

Playing double agent.

The big reveal regarding Campanella is here, and she's an adventurer and the boss of Wiseman, so it's no wonder that Team Rocket trio always manages to be where Haru and company are. She takes being a double agent to the extreme there as both Haru's party and Wiseman are having a day at the amusement park where she's always switching gears between Campanella the adventurer and Blackpanella the boss of Wiseman. She was about to be found out when the two parties are sitting next to each other at an idol show, but she manages to keep her identity a secret when Spirals attack, and are quickly disposed of by the performers. Campanella sure has a tough job, but it's something she chose to do seeing that she's close to these rivaling parties.

So with that, it's time for me to decide which show gets the last spot as the extended trial periods are up. I'll need to sit down and think about it, and once I do, the schedule will be officially set.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

Would be nice to get an explanation for Campanella's actions, because so far it feels like she's pretty much just trying to use one group to harass another. Good thing for her both groups have a combined intelligence of -500.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine
                    Working...
                    X