Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Spring 2018 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckeye
    replied
    Spring 2018 Simulcast Reviews

Alright, I just realized that I forgot to do my simulcast review post for the spring season. For the most part, it's a simple copy and past job with some edits to remove potential spoilers and stuff specific to the series, but this season there were a number of shows that were continuing into the summer or (through split cour) fall season. Seeing that it's already into the fall season that it's kind of pointless to review for ongoing shows that finished up in the summer, so I'll skip the reviews for those shows (meaning only Golden Kamuy and Tokyo Ghoul:re will get reviewed).

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card: A-
    This season of pretty much sticks to what worked in the original series and not really doing anything contentwise to stand out from the oringial series. While it provides for some great entertainment, that also meant a dragged-out story. This season prioritizes reconnecting with the original story more so than crafting a complete story with the mind of thought that a second season was planned from the beginning. That said, by taking this approach, it made this series a fun extension of the original series with great entertainment value from episode-to-episode, doing it with improved animation quality. In any case, I'm hoping for a sequel seeing that this show was spending too much time with anime-original content that it the biggest lingering question at the beginning wasn't answered until the end.

*Uma Musume: Pretty Derby: B
    This show ended up being very entertaining to watch after a slow start that was cliched and gimmicky. As the show progresses, the storytelling greatly improves as it utilizes all those gimmicks well to provide some great character development, all while being fun to watch. The characters are great, the racing action is fun to watch, and in all the show ended up being better than expected once the initial shock sets in.

*Alice or Alice: D
    This is show is pretty much what it expected to be for a short with a slutty premise. That said, some episodes were really good, though most of them are pretty much trash, and being a short is what made this show bearable to watch through. So in all, while it's a trashy sister complex show, at least it had some entertainment value to it since it's a short lasting three minutes an episode.

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku: B+
    This show has been quite a lot of fun to watch. The characters are great, the jokes are really funny, and character bonding was solidly done. Just about the only big knock on this show is the story as it was just non-existent for the most part, and that made for some pretty weak romantic developments. But it's designed to be a comedy and on that front it's amazing stuff.

*Himamatsuri: A-
    This show manages to do a lot of things well as while it was designed to be a supernatural comedy, it nails a lot of other things as well. The comedy is great, while it does an excellent job with character growth in an efficient way so that everything flows to make for a fun show that's more than that. There are a couple of nitpicking issues as the animation quality was pretty average, and things sometimes got repetitive. In any case, this show is an absolute blast to watch.

*Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS: C+
    This season pretty much caters to those who are fans of the WIXOSS franchise, while it's a step up from Incited series, it still pales in comparison to the Selector series. The animation continues to be very good compared to the Selector series, but the story isn't exactly up to par with it as while it's less predictable and more consequential than in Incited, there was just too much that didn't exactly click. In summary, the show continues to feed off its strengths with the solid drama, character designs, character development, and its focus on the implications rather than the game itself, while this season just had a weak overall story that puts a damper on things.

*Amanchu! Advance: B-
    This season is started off strong, but tapered off in the second half. This series had its best episodes early in this season, but then it gets away from its core strengths in the second half and bogs it down with content that just felt out of place in this show, all while seemingly forgetting that the show is about scuba diving. So on an overall level, it's on par with the first season, but doing so with a great first half and a weak second half rather than being consistent all the way through.

*Devils' Line: C+
    Despite the obvious similarities to Tokyo Ghoul, this show has a nice story concept full of intrigue, solid drama, and good character development that makes it entertaining to watch. While the story concept was solid, production values are just bad as this is what usually happens with a no-name studio. The animation quality was poor, while the story was just lacking cohesion with the way it was put together. Even so, it was a show I'm glad to have watched despite these problems.

*Cutie Honey Universe: D+
    It's clear that this show was made for Go Nagai fans as objectively, it fails on so many levels, but Go Nagai fans certainly would appreciate this show better. The biggest fault with this show is the highly fragmented story, while it has several other problems include an unappealing art style, and dense characters to the point where it gets irritating. That said, this show has some nice things going for it with solid action, a good soundtrack, the show's willingness to be unconventional to tap into the charm of Nagai's style. So in all, this is something only fans of the franchise can appreciate since it does lots of things wrong to make this show unappealing to others.

*Caligula: C
    This is a show with a great story concept and a solid foundation for great mystery to happen. This show does a solid job with the animation and character growth to support this mystery show. However, the execution is another matter entirely as the show was disoriented and had serious issues with pacing and clarity. And then there ware the action scenes that just poorly connected with the rest of the show. In all, it was a show that was great for the intrigue, but seeing it all go down is another matter entirely as that aspect could have been better handled.

*Food Wars! The Third Plate: A+
    This show continues to be great, and even more so this season with the characters growing in leaps and bounds. The cooking action continues to be the highlight of the show, all while it does an excellent job in setting up the characters for a huge transformation, and in addition the animation continues to be brilliant. But what this season does particularly well is the introduction of a certain character as that really had a tremendous impact on the story. Pretty much, it continues to deliver on every aspect.

*Crossing Time: C
    This show is solid entertainment for the short as it got pretty funny at times. As to be expected out of a short, the animation quality is bad and the biggest problem is that things got awfully repetitive. But given its short runtime that it does what a short is supposed to do.

*Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These: B+
    This show does a great job in introducing viewers to the series as the storytelling is on the mark, the modern animation enhances the show, and the soundtrack does a nice job letting everybody know that politics is more prevalent than warfare. That said, this show can only do so much when the original story is quite comprehensive and this show has only 12 episodes (the equivalent of 24 with the movies) to tell it compared to the 100+ the original series had, and as such the story isn't nearly as fulfilling with the story being rushed, all while too much focus was put on Yang and not enough on Reinhard. But in terms of capturing the spirit and essence of the original series, this show gets the job done on that front.

*Record of Grancrest War: C
    This show was greatly hindered by a rushed and poorly constructed plot that made the show hard to follow and left too much of a disconnect. The show is great on a technical side as the animation and soundtrack are incredible, while the action is amazing, and the premise, albeit too ambitions, had lots of promise and intrigue to it. So this is a show that could have been better if it was stretched out over more episodes as 24 episodes just wasn't enough to get a good story with the way things are set up.

*Tada Never Falls in Love: B
    This is a fun time to be had with some solid storytelling and comedy. The characters are great, the romantic aspect is solid, and the chemistry between the characters is exceptional, all while the artwork and soundtrack do a nice job to support this show. However, it's bogged down by a few major issues as I felt that the comedy had the tendency to be repetitive and stale, and the story just felt too uneven to really work with the story not really doing a whole lot at the beginning. In all, it's a fun show that's worth watching, especially for those who enjoyed Nozaki-kun.

Doreiku: C-
    This show had a great concept, but execution was simply terrible. The show has some great drama and while the characters are hit-or-miss, the ones that hit really stood out and made the show worthwhile. That said, the show's story is just poorly constructed due to the overly ambitious concept as with 23 characters needing substantial attention, that led to a rushed plot and cohesion problems as doing all this in just 12 episodes just isn't possible. So in all, it's worthwhile because of the drama, but the way the show was put together leaves something to be desired.

Megalo Box: A
    This show is simply amazing as the story really stands out unlike anything else. The drama is well-done, the characters are well-developed, and this show goes far and beyond by making all the characters a lot more than they appear to be. Then there's the amazing hip hop soundtrack that really enhances the story. While it's great, it does have a couple of rather minor flaws that keep it from masterpiece status as the animation was just too blurry making things tough on the eyes, and the story felt like it dragged out as it felt like this show was seemingly not advancing.

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online: B-
    This is a satisfying side story that will please SAO fans as it gets all the entertainment aspects down with great characters, nice animation, incredible action, and decent character development. Above all, most of the aspects that dogged SAO after the first half of the first season are largely absent. Unfortunately, the show is far from polished when it comes to the more critical aspects of the show as the story was just silly in structure and doesn't add up to anything substantial, all while this show feels like it was catered more towards fans of the franchise. In all, it was an entertaining show to watch and definitely worthwhile for fans of the franchise even if it is somewhat lacking in substance.

Darling in the FranXX: B+
    There was never a dull moment in this show as it was entertaining from start to finish. It is boosted by great action, incredible drama, complex characters, and plot twists that stand out with Trigger's signature style While this show has been great entertainment, it had pacing issues were the biggest problem as some areas really dragged out and kind of broke the momentum of the story. The ending also felt underwhelming and incomplete that puts a damper. In all, it's a great show that really delivered on its potential, but isn't quite the complete package.

FLCL Progressive: C+
    This sequel was a disappointment as the show suffers from a weak MC, bland supporting cast, and an over-reliance on the crazy nonsense that makes for a story that makes little sense and has little substance. Above all, the show was just way too random for its own good and it doesn't help with the choice of studios as while Production I.G did an admirable job with the animation, Trigger would have brought it out to its full potential. That said, it still does a nice job with the nostalgia factor all while a couple of episodes were at least worth watching. But as a follow-up to an amazing first season, it's just a huge letdown.

Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory: B+
    Overall, this show is still a great show to watch, just nowhere near as good as The Second Raid when this show was at its peak. The show still delivers on its core strengths with great characters, excellent drama, and intense action. However, this season is hurt by two major issues. First of all, the animation is a huge step down as while Xebec specializes in mecha, it just pales in comparison to the masterful job KyoAni does. And the other major issue is the story flow as things seem to be jumping from place to place without really connecting things. Besides that, this show does a good job in being a worthy entry to this franchise, but one that could have been improved with better planning as having those delays are a strong indication that the directors were too tentative in their approach to this adaptation.

Continuing

(Grades are through the end of the content airing in the spring season. Since I already wrote reviews for continuing series that wrapped up this summer to reflect the entire show, I will only write reviews for shows that are still going on.)

Golden Kamuy: B+
    The show took awhile to get going, but once things settled in and the characters get established, this show takes off. The adventure aspect is nicely done all while characters are nicely developed. And then there's the action and other ridiculous aspects involved that lead to a great product. Just about the only big issues I have with this show are the sidetracking that goes on too much in this show, and the use of CG bears.

Isekai Izakaya: Japanese Food From Another World: B-

My Sweet Tyrant: C+

Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 3rd: C+

Steins;Gate 0: A+

Tokyo Ghoul:re: B-
    From a storytelling perspective, this is a huge improvement over Root A that just did so many things that were cringeworthy. At the very least it goes back and tries to do what the first season did well with an impactful story and that develops both sides of the conflict. That said, the execution just felt off the mark as while there was not much cringeworthy stuff going on, the approach was questionable as the story wasn't put together in the best way.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Spring 2018 Simulcast Rankings: June

Now that the season is finally over after watching the much-delayed final episodes of Full Metal Panic, it's now time I do my final leader board for the spring season. As usual, I list and rank shows based on the show's content from episodes airing this season only. I make note of whether the shows got better (in green) and worse (in red), and with FLCL Progressive starting and finishing its run in the last month that it's new to the leader board. So with that, here is my final simulcast ranking for this season.

Home Run
    Steins;Gate 0
    My Hero Academia season 3

Food Wars! The Third Plate
    Megalo Box
    Hinamatsuri
    Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card

Base Hit
    Darling in the FranXX
    Golden Kamuy
    Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These
    Uma Musume: Pretty Derby
    Tada Never Falls in Love

Walk
    Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
    Tokyo Ghoul:re (Demoted)
    Amanchu! Advanced
    FLCL Progressive (New)
    Isekai Izakaya: Japanese Food From Another World
    Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 3rd
    Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS
    Crossing Time (Promoted)
    Devils' Line (Promoted)

Flyout
    Record of Grancrest War
    My Sweet Tyrant
    Caligula (Demoted)
    Doreiku

Strikeout
    Cutie Honey Universe
    Alice or Alice

Rising

Golden Kamuy - After a rough start, this show has slowly been getting better, and in these last few episodes everything is clicking on all cylinders with nice character chemistry being built up. While the show still hasn't really tackled the big problem at hand, it does a great job in setting the stage for the second half airing this fall.

Devils' Line - While this show continues to be hindered by poor animation quality, this show really steps up its game with the final episodes, relatively speaking. In particular, it chooses to develop the characters over resolving a huge conflict, and they did that very nicely. Still, I'm underwhelmed at the show's direction, but at least they did something great here after not really delivering earlier in the series.

My Hero Academia season 3 - While the first half was great, the last few episodes are some of the best of the season so far as it involves clashing with an extremely dangerous villain, and some development very few shows can top.

Falling

Tokyo Ghoul:re - At least this show avoids the worst parts of Root A, but at the same time it doesn't tap into the stuff that made the first season so great. This is on display in the final episodes as it assembles a cast list too big for its own good, all while some of the characters that really needed attention weren't getting it. Let's hope that the second part improves on this.

Caligula - After a solid start, this show really falls flat down the stretch with pedestrian storytelling and a rushed plot. This show had potential, and maybe it would have been done better had it been two cours. But in the end, it bit on more than it could chew leading to a lackluster end.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc - The drop has to do with the fact that so much was left unanswered, and while I understand that the manga is still ongoing, the big reveal shouldn't have waited until the very end. The last few episodes were pretty underwhelming, but overall doesn't diminish the entertainment value of this show.

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied
    First Impressions

By request, I'll be posting my ranked lineup with grades at the beginning and end of each season even if I don't feel the need to write about each series. If you want to hear my thoughts, I'm sure they're available between these forums and Fandom Post Radio (check my signature for links). If not, feel free to ask.

As for why this is only coming now, three weeks into Summer 2018, you can thank Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory for that. It actually managed to have so many production delays that it extended a 12-episode series three weeks into the next season.

New For Spring 2018:

The first number and icon is the number of spots and direction the series moved on the given ranking. The second is the number and direction of possible grades it moved. The former is obviously only relative to the other series around it, and the latter may show a movement of "00" even if my opinion of it did go up or down, if it wasn't enough to change the grade.

00► 01▼ 01. Steins;Gate 0 (A) Sub and dub
    01▲ 01▲ 02. Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season (A) Sub
    00► 00► 03. Violet Evergarden (A-) Dub
    01▼ 01▼ 04. Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara - Toutsuki Ressha-hen (B+) Sub
    05▲ 01▲ 05. Hinamatsuri (B+) Sub
    01▼ 00► 06. Megalo Box (B+) Sub
    00► 00► 07. Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2202: Ai no Senshi-tachi (B) Sub
    02▲ 00►​​​​​​​ 08. Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (B) Sub
    00►​​​​​​​ 00►​​​​​​​ 09. Lupin III: Part 5 (B) Sub
    02▼ 01▼ 10. Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory (B-) Sub
    02▲ 01▲ 11. Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou (B-) Sub and dub
    05▼ 01▼ 12. Tokyo Ghoul:re (B-) Sub
    00►​​​​​​​ 00►​​​​​​​ 13. FLCL Progressive (B-) Dub

Dropped:

01▼ 02▼ 14. Persona 5 the Animation (C) Sub; 5 episodes

Everything that Ended:

01. Violet Evergarden (A-)
    02. Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara - Toutsuki Ressha-hen (B+)
    03. Hinamatsuri (B+)
    04. Megalo Box (B+)
    05. Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (B)
    06. Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen (B)
    07. Darling in the FranXX (B-)
    08. Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory (B-)
    09. Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou (B-) Dub also complete
    10. Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line (B-)
    11. Tokyo Ghoul:re (B-)
    12. FLCL Progressive (B-)

Everything I'm Watching:

Here's everything, including everything listed above. This is here to show the overall ranking (and movement for end-of-season posts) of everything in relation to everything else.

As with the first section, the movement indicators show the movement in the ranking and the change in grade, respectively.

00► 01▼ 01. Steins;Gate 0 (A)
    02▲ 01▲ 02. Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season (A)
    00► 00► 03. Violet Evergarden (A-)
    00► 00► 04. One Piece (A-)
    02▼ 01▼ 05. Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara - Toutsuki Ressha-hen (B+)
    01▲ 00►​​​​​​​ 06. Detective Conan (B+)
    08▲ 01▲ 07. Hinamatsuri (B+)
    02▼ 00►​​​​​​​ 08. Megalo Box (B+)
    00►​​​​​​​ 00►​​​​​​​ 09. Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2202: Ai no Senshi-tachi (B)
    05▲ 00►​​​​​​​ 10. Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (B)
    02▼ 01▼ 11. Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen (B)
    01▼ 00►​​​​​​​ 12. Lupin III: Part 5 (B)
    02▼ 01▼ 13. Darling in the FranXX (B-)
    02▼ 01▼ 14. Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory (B-)
    03▲ 01▲ 15. Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou (B-)
    02▼ 01▼ 16. Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line (B-)
    07▼ 01▼ 17. Tokyo Ghoul:re (B-)
    00►​​​​​​​ 00►​​​​​​​ 18. FLCL Progressive (B-)

Dropped:

01▼ 02▼ 19. Persona 5 the Animation (C)

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (2): Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara - Toutsuki Ressha-hen, FLCL Progressive
    Monday (1): Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line
    Tuesday (3): Lupin III: Part 5, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou, Tokyo Ghoul:re
    Wednesday (2): Steins;Gate 0, Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2202: Ai no Senshi-tachi
    Thursday (2): Megalo Box, Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii
    Friday (2): Hinamatsuri, Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory
    Saturday (5): Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season, One Piece, Detective Conan, Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card-hen, Darling in the FranXX

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-Simulcast Report: June 16-30

Here is the final post-simulcast report of the spring season. As usual, it includes all shows including completed simulcasts, but simulcasts do not get reviewed.

Completed

*Uma Musume: Pretty Derby: B

*Alice or Alice: D

*Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku: B+

^Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (10-12): B+
    This show starts off really strong with an intense story, amazing action, and lots of drama from the same guys who did Attack on Titan that it led me to believe that it was going to be as great as Attack on Titan for the first half of the show. However, the storywriting was just a mess in the second half as it tried to hard to be a carbon copy of that show rather then keeping the course as the twist was poorly executed and the character development that should have continued was stalled. Still, it's definitely worth it for the great first half and even with a bad story in the second half the action is still great eye candy.

*Himamatsuri: A-

*Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS: C+

*Amanchu! Advance: B-

*Devils' Line: C+

Dragon Ball Z: The Final Chapters: A-
    Having not watched all of the original DBZ as I was worn out by the really slow pacing, this show continues to pick up where the first Kai season left off. Once again, the prevailing thought here is that less is more as the canonical-only compression makes the show flow much better, all while the animation quality is improved. The Buu saga is another well-done story arc doing all sorts of creative things to get everybody stronger, all while the show does a great job with the drama that could be expected out of those long shonen series.

*Cutie Honey Universe: D+

*Caligula: C

*Food Wars! The Third Plate: A+

*Golden Kamuy: B+

*Crossing Time: C

*Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These: B+

^Overlord II: B+
    This season builds on its core strengths with great animation, an intriguing story, interesting characters, and nice development. While the season has a better story concept than the first, it's execution was a bit on the messy side as it was inconsistently paced opting to drag out in the beginning, and then rushing towards the end of the arc. But in the end, it's a worthy sequel, just one that has some really rough edges.

*Record of Grancrest War: C

*Tada Never Falls in Love: B

*Doreiku: C-

*Megalo Box: A

*Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online: B-

Ongoing

[FCB-4] Future Card Buddyfight X (18-30)
    [GIN] Gintama (21-26)
    ^[TLS-ZX] Tales of Zestiria the X (0-12)

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-Simulcast Report: June 1-15

Now that the history section on MAL is working again that I'm able to collect my history and produce my next post-simulcast report for the season. Soon, I'll be doing the final one.

Completed

Persona 4: The Animation (18-24, OVA): B
    This show is a great example of how to make an anime adaptation of a video game as more often than not they end up being busts. With this show, it does things right by making it appealing while staying true to what the game is all about. The show does an excellent job with the whole mystery aspect. However, the show is far from perfect as the story really was hard to understand at the beginning with all sorts of different things going on, all while the show's structure was questionable. But in all, it was pretty entertaining with the high drama in the second half.

Alderamin on the Sky (1-13): B+
    This show got off to a slow start when it introduced the characters and not exactly setting up the show properly. But as the show progresses, the story gets much better, and the whole plot concept of starting a war under dubious circumstances really had me feeling for the characters and everything that happened. From that point on after a rough first couple of episodes the show greatly improved, and the typical style of animation by Madhouse really made it go.

Ongoing

[DBZ-K2] Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (63-66)
    [KIF] Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (1-9)
    [NAR-S] Naruto Shippuden (197-201)
    [PKM-SM] Pokemon Sun and Moon (49-54)

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-Simulcast Report: May 16-31

Thanks to MAL undergoing maintenance longer than usual with the history section down for nearly month that I'm way behind on my post-simulcast reports. Anyway, I had to find another way to keep track of what I watched, and I finally got around to it. So here is the the first long overdue post-simulcast report that covers the end of May. Just one show completed during this time, as well as an OVA episode belonging to a TV show that doesn't get a review.

Code:Realize OVA: C+

Hyouka (7-22, 11.5): B+
    This is mostly a silly mystery show where the mysteries solved here are mostly out of curiosity and doesn't have much practicality in the grand scheme of things. However, this show was just a lot of fun to watch as the artwork is another piece of KyoAni mastery, the characters are a fun bunch, and the interactions are pretty amusing. That said, the story was just weak and mostly unsustainable with the exception of the culture festival segment, but that didn't detract from the enjoyment. This show just ended way too soon and it's no wonder why it's high on the wish list for a sequel.

Continuing

[FCB-4] Future Card Buddyfight X (12-17)
    [GIN] Gintama (19-20)
    [HXH] Hunter x Hunter 2011 (89-92)
    [JBA-SC] Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (28-31)
    [PER-4] Persona 4: The Animation (5-17)

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    I always give an explanation of how I arrived at my final watchlist but never really got around to doing it. So here I am explaining how it all went down. This season was unusually packed and as such, I decided to increase my watchlist permanently to 20 with up to two more for seasons like this one. Many slots were already earmarked for inclusion being a sequel, spinoff, or remake. Nevertheless, here is how I arrived at my final 22 plus shorts and the point they clinched their spot is bolded.

So to being, there are three continuing shows in Cardcaptor Sakura, Darling in the FranXX, and Grancrest War. Then there are the sequels for Food Wars!, Tokyo Ghoul, Steins;Gate, Full Metal Panic, WIXOSS, My Hero Academia, and Amanchu that were included from the start. So ten shows were locked in from the start, which is an unusually high number as that is what prompted me to allow the increase.

Next phase are the shows that didn't take long to lock in their spots impressing right out of the gates. Those are Golden Kamuy, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Megalo Box, Wotakoi, Hinamatsuri, and GGO. All of these shows I had locked in after one or two episodes, so that brought the total up to 16 shows.

And then the last process was excruciatingly difficult that was eased up by the increase in shows. First of all there were several shows that didn't stand a chance to make the cut and I'll quickly run through them all. First are the shows dropped due to lack of availability that includes the four Netflix shows in Hisone and Masotan, The Piano Forest, Unit Pandora, and Lost Song, as well as Captain Tsubasa and Creatures Family Days. Dropped in total disdain are Magical Girl Site, Gurazeni, Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis, Butlers x Battlers, and Real Girl as all of those shows were just too painful for me to watch. Dropped due to not being my cup of tea are Kakuriyo, Yotsuiro Biyori, Nil Admirari, Magical Girl Ore, Gegege no Kitaro, Persona 5 (I want to play the game first), and Major 2nd. Lastly, High School DxD Hero, I wanted to wait until the simuldub is finished to binge through it.

So after removing those shows, that leaves Cutie Honey Universe, Caligula, Umamusume, Gundam Build Divers, Last Period, Tada Never Falls in Love, Comic Girls, Dances with the Dragons, Doreiku, and Devils' Line for a total of ten shows in the running for the last 4-6 spots. I decided to take on four Thursday shows, and either Doreiku or Dances with the Dragons makes it, while either Tada or Comic Girls joins Wotakoi and Megalo Box in the lineup. Doreiku's drama provided for some solid entertainment, while Dances with the Dragons had great action and just about nothing else to offer. And Tada has a solid story to go along with nice humor, while Comic Girls was just generic and not very memorable even though I like these kinds of shows. So that means Doreiku and Tada Never Falls in Love mades the cut. Caligula and Cutie Honey Universe, while heavily flawed shows, had my interest so those two got in. So that meant two more slots for the remaining four shows still in the running opting to use up my absolute allotment. After greatly improving after a generic start, Umamusume got better and as such, it took one of the last spots, leaving one more between Build Divers, Devils' Line, and Last Period. Being two cours of kiddy stuff, Build Divers was cut leaving the last spot between Last Period and Devils' Line. In the end, I went with Devils' Line because I know what I'm getting out of Last Period (and it's stuff where watching it once means I have seen it all) whereas I don't have that feeling with Devils' Line. So that's how the full-length shows were chosen.

As for the shorts, 30 minutes was allotted as usual. Ninja Girl and Samurai Master (3.5) was automatically in for being a sequel, while Isekai Izakaya (14) and My Sweet Tyrant (3.5) pretty much made it off the bat. So that left me with 9 minutes, and I decided that either Space Battleship Tiramisu or two between Crossing Time, Love to Lie Angle, Alice or Alice, and You Don't Know Gunma Yet round off the list. I went with the two 3.5 minute shorts option as Crossing Time really stood out for me. As for the other, Gunma just had no appeal for me, while Love to Lie Angle was nothing but pure cringeworthiness. At least Alice or Alice wasn't nearly as bad as the other two, so I chose that to round off the short stuff this season.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Spring 2018 Simulcast Rankings: May

This is long overdue now, but it has slipped out of my mind. Nevertheless, the same drill applies for the second leader board of the season in that dropped shows are no longer listed, shows that have gotten better based on the episodes aired in May are in green, and those that got worse are in red, all while I'll make indicators of whether a show has gained or dropped a tier since the last rankings.

Home Run
    Steins;Gate 0
    Megalo Box

Hinamatsuri (Promoted)

Base Hit
    Darling in the FranXX (Demoted)
    Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory
    Tokyo Ghoul:re
    Golden Kamuy
    Uma Musume: Pretty Derby (Promoted)

Walk
    Tada Never Falls in Love
    Amanchu! Advance (Demoted)
    Caligula

Flyout
    Doreiku
    My Sweet Tyrant
    Crossing Time

Devils' Line
    Record of Grancrest War

Strikeout
    Alice or Alice
    Cutie Honey Universe

Rising

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby - The beginning felt really gimmicky, but the show has gotten much better after starting slow out of the gate. In particular, it does an excellent job in building character through adversity while emphasizing the importance of rivals and companions. I had believed all along that this show was going to be a (pun intended) one trick pony. But these latest episodes say otherwise.

Megalo Box - After a somewhat pedestrian first episode, this show has just continues to be a knockout punch. The drama has just been off the charts, and the show has just done an excellent job with character development and suspense.

Hinamatsuri - It starts off being a crazy comedy, but it doesn't ignore the fact that these characters are going through a lot of problems with their lives, and this show gets a ton of kudos for keeping everything in perspective. In particular, episode 6 shows that these characters deserve to have a chance at life when things aren't working out. That episode alone really catapults this show into elite company.

Falling

Amanchu! Advance - After a nice start to the second season, it goes too overboard with the dream sequences. The whole Peter arc was just getting away from doing what this show has been doing so well. That's not to say it's bad, but it certainly has been the weakest part of this show so far.

Caligula - After a somewhat strong start, the storytelling is starting to falter as it does a poor job in establishing the characters, especially the Musicians as there's just no depth to them. To be fair, the game it's based on wasn't all that great, but even so it would be helpful that there's clarity as that's the one thing that this show needs the most.

Darling in the FranXX - The lack of action makes for this being the weakest part of the show so far. That's not to say it's not good, but it feels like the latest episodes just haven't been up to par with the rest of the series.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-Simulcast Report: May 1-15

I'm behind on my post-simulcast reports as MAL had been down, and while it is up now, it's not fully functional. So I had to piece together the stuff I watched through a different way, and I at least wanted to get this out before it slips from my mind.

Completed

^Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions Heart Throb (1-12, OVA, Lite Shorts): B-
    This season is pretty disappointing after a strong first season that was great, but the ending left a bitter taste of sorts. While it continues to be a fun-filled show with humorous antics that makes for a great time, the story was just about non-existent in this season as it does very little to advance it after a strong first season. That said, it still is worthwhile to watch for the animation, humor, and characters.

Den-noh Coil (19-26): B+
    It took awhile for this show to get going as the beginning was just full of terminology, info dumping, and too many things to keep track of that makes it hard to follow. But things get much better in the second half when the story became far more focused and things start making sense after being so roundabout it in the first half. In the end, it's a great show that does an effective job of building up, but one that takes awhile to make it happen with so much going on, and a sizable chunk of it not really being relevant to the grand scheme of things.

^Flip Flappers (4-13): A-
    This show does a such a great job in combining the supernatural while crafting a pretty strong story out of it. While the show appeared to be nonsensical at the beginning, it is all used as building towards something big down the line. It started off slow out of the gates, but once the purpose of everything is established, it led to a pretty solid drama all while nailing it on the animation and supernatural craziness that makes this show go. And character development was nicely done further adding to the list of great things this show has to offer.

Ongoing

[FCB-4] Future Card Buddyfight X (7-11)
    [GIN] Gintama (16-18)
    [HXH] Hunter x Hunter (2011) (88-90)
    [HYO] Hyouka (1-6)
    [JBA-SC] Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders (25-27)
    [NAR-2] Naruto Shippuden (194-196)
    [PER-4] Persona 4 the Animation (1-4)

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Spring 2018 Finalized Watchlist

This season was extremely tough in figuring out my watchlist, but now that the extended trial period has passed for all borderline shows, I'm now ready to call it final. Once again, I'll explain my thought process in another post, but for now I have selected the shows that I will be following this season.

Watching
    Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card (continuing)
    Darling in the FranXX (continuing)
    Food Wars! The Third Plate (continuing)
    Record of Grancrest War (continuing)
    Amanchu! Advance
    My Hero Academia season 2
    Steins;Gate 0
    Hinamatsuri
    Sword Art Online: Gun Gale Online
    Caligula
    Golden Kamuy
    Megalo Box
    Tada Never Falls in Love
    Cutie Honey Universe
    Doreiku
    Umamusume: Pretty Derby
    Devils' Line
    Ninja Girl and Samurai Master 3rd (short)
    My Sweet Tyrant (short)
    Isekai Izakaya (short)
    Alice or Alice (short)
    Crossing Time (short)

Dropped
    Last Period
    Comic Girls
    Persona 5
    Dragon Pilot: Hisone and Masotan
    Dances with the Dragons
    Kakuriyo: Bed and Breakfast for Spirits
    Magical Girl Ore
    Magical Girl Site
    Libra of Nil Admirari
    Unit Pandora
    Lost Song
    Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori
    3D Kanojo: Real Girl
    Major 2nd
    Creatures Family Days
    Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis
    Butlers x Battlers
    Gurazeni
    Space Battleship Tiramisu (short)
    Love to Lie Angle (short)
    You Don't Know Gunma Yet (short)
    LadySpo (short)

This season was so packed that I decided to expand my season watchlist from the usual 18 to 22 for this season, and moving forward I will put it at 20 with up to two more at my call. This season is so packed seeing that there are so many sequels, and not to mention shows that were originally planned to air earlier, but ended up being bumped to the spring after production issues like Full Metal Panic (originally set for Fall 2017), Food Wars! The Third Plate (originally planned to continue into the winter before making the last minute decision to delay the second half into the spring), Butlers (Winter 2018), and Dances with the Dragons (Fall 2017), and not to mention Golden Kamuy would be better as a winter season show and Amanchu Advance would be more fitting for the summer, but they all ended up in this season. In any case, here is my watchlist by day of week (first number is total shows, second is total number of shows with full-length episodes for days that have shorts involved):

Sunday (4): Cutie Honey Universe, Caligula, Umamusume, Food Wars!
    Monday (2/1): Golden Kamuy, Crossing Time
    Tuesday (2): Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Tokyo Ghoul:re
    Wednesday (2/1): Alice or Alice, Steins;Gate 0
    Thursday (4): Tada Never Falls in Love, Wotakoi, Doreiku, Megalo Box
    Friday (6/4): Full Metal Panic, Hinamatsuri, My Sweet Tyrant, Grancrest, WIXOSS, Ninja Girl
    Saturday (6): My Hero Academia, Amanchu!, Devils' Line, Darling in the FranXX, GGO, CCS: Clear Card

Once again, Saturdays are heavy, while Fridays are pretty packed as well. Thursday through Sunday has quite a lot of stuff going on, while not so much for Monday through Wednesday. While Mondays and Tuesdays are pretty packed, I'm skipping a lot of stuff there as either the stuff is a sequel to something I haven't seen (Yowapeda, High School DxD, Lupin III), is not available to watch (Captain Tsubasa, Creatures Family Days), or is something that I'm not really into it to warrant continuing (Magical Girl Ore, Kakuriyo, Build Divers, Real Girl). So that's my season in a nutshell, and I'm hoping that things ease up a bit in the summer. Of course, I'm skipping all the Netflix stuff for now seeing that I have too many other great things to watch this season.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-Simulcast Report: April 16-30

It's almost time for the next one, but before I forget, here is the one for the latter half of April.

Completed

^Chihayafuru (16-25): A-
    This show is presented in typical sports anime fashion, and it does an excellent job in building characters and developing chemistry between them seeing that things just weren't rosy coming into the series. This season does some pretty cringeworthy things, but of the intuitive kind. In all, this show does a great job in balancing the serious with the lighthearted stuff, all while the story moves along well in keeping things realistic. The animation is great and the poetry is well-utilized.

^Interviews with Monster Girls (1-13): B+
    This is a nice, laid-back show where it's all about appreciating demi-humans for who they are and adapting to their unusual behaviors and tendencies. The show does an excellent job in building characters without ever getting too overly serious that it turns the show into something it wasn't meant to be, while the humor is well-constructed. It's a show that blends the supernatural nicely with daily life.

Ongoing

[DCL] Den-noh Coil (6-18)
    [DBZ-K2] Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (59-62)
    ^[FLF] Flip Flappers (1-3)
    [FCB-4] Future Card Buddyfight X (4-6)
    [GIN] Gintama (8-15)
    [HXH] Hunter x Hunter 2011 (84-86)
    [PKM-SM] Pokemon Sun and Moon (46-48)

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Spring 2018 Simulcast Rankings: April

Time for the first leader board of the season, and I'm a bit too lazy to get it going, until now. That said, since this is now spring that the tier names are now using baseball terminology. So out are the football tiers and in are the baseball tiers with Touchdown, Field Goal, First Down, Punt, and Fumble replaced by Home Run, Base Hit, Walk, Flyout, and Strikeout, respectively. As always with the first month, all shows are part of it, and which shows I'm keeping (black) and dropping (red) are identified. At this time, I'm still debating over which of the last remaining bubble shows will make the cut or not (blue), and I hope to have a final decision soon, but I'm giving some extended trials.

Home Run
    Steins;Gate 0
    Megalo Box
    Darling in the FranXX

Base Hit
    Hinamatsuri
    Amanchu! Advance
    Golden Kamuy

Walk
    Persona 5: The Animation
    Tada Never Falls in Love
    Caligula
    Comic Girls
    Uma Musume: Pretty Derby
    Kakuriyo: Bed and Breakfast for Spirits
    Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori
    Magical Girl Ore
    Gundam Build Divers
    Real Girl

Flyout
    Record of Grancrest War
    Devils' Line
    Doreiku

My Sweet Tyrant
    Last Period
    Creatures Family Days
    Magical Girl Site
    Dances with the Dragons
    Crossing Time
    Space Battleship Tiramisu
    Libra of Nil Admirari

Strikeout
    Cutie Honey Universe
    Alice or Alice
    Love to Lie Angle
    Gurazeni
    Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis
    You Don't Know Gunma Yet
    Butlers x Battlers
    LadySpo

And I'm deciding to keep some strikeout tier shows this season as while they are rubbish contentwise, they still have entertainment value to me, and that's the primary basis for what makes the cut and what doesn't. In any case, this season is shaping up to be one of the best ever with six shows in the top tier. Normally, 2-4 shows start off there, but this season is boosted by a number of sequels to great shows. Anyway, I have 19 shows locked in among those with standard length episodes and with this season being so packed that I decided to up my absolute maximum load from 20 to 22. As this reflects my thoughts as of April 30 that I hadn't decided that I would take Doreiku and drop Dances with the Dragons. So with the way things are going, I have two more slots with three shows in the running between Umamusume, Devils' Line, and Last Period.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Spring 2018 First Impressions

Alright, I said a week ago that I would get my first impressions out, but of course I have had a lot on my plate lately, as well as the NFL Draft taking most of my attention this week. So, I took the time to finally get this out ahead of my first leader board. Once again, It's grouped into three categories based on football terminology that metaphorically represents how close it is to securing a spot on my watch list, though at this time most of the decisions have already been made. This is based on where I stand after last Friday as that's what this was supposed to be posted. Red Zone means I have pretty much decided it will be on the watchlist and barring an epic collapse, it has locked its place, while Midfield means no strong indication one way or the other, and Own 20 means I have pretty much decided to drop it, and if I haven't, it will have to really turn around quickly in the episodes remaining in its trial period to convince me to watch it.

Anyway, onto impressions. While continuing shows will be listed, no impressions are given since after all, these are first impressions, which the shows had a season ago or more. Sequels (save for the split cour stuff) will, on the other hand.

RED ZONE
    Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card - Continuing from winter.
    Darling in the FranXX - Continuing from winter.
    Record of Grancrest War - Continuing from winter.
    Food Wars! The Third Plate - Continuing from fall.
    Amanchu! Advance - More of the same great stuff as the first season with the atmosphere being the best thing about this show.
    Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory - Things got pretty serious right away leading to some great action and intense storytelling. The animation is a step down as expected seeing that KyoAni is in a whole different universe, but it's fitting for a mecha show.
    Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS - This show continues to be all about the drama and intrigue, and so far it is doing a much better job at that than in Incited, but still not as well done as it is in the Selector series. I'm not too fond on the choice of MC, but the return of the Selector characters makes it much more interesting.
    My Hero Academia season 3 - This show continues to hit in high gear with a great story, memorable characters, and spectacular action. It's great that it doesn't skip a beat by including a recap episode told from the swimming pool to get the potential fanservicey stuff out of the way.
    Tokyo Ghoul:re - The show is a huge improvement over Root A, but at the same time it's too much about the cop action, and not enough about the moral conflict that made the first season so great until the end.
    Golden Kamuy - The show has been slow out of the gates, but chemistry between characters has gotten better once the dust settled in the first episode Lots of great intrigue going on here, all while the characters are an interesting bunch as well.
    Hinamatsuri - This show hits it out of the park with the comedy, all while the characters are a fun bunch and the storytelling is pretty solid so far.
    Steins;Gate 0 - This version has started out much better than the original series as it took its sweet time getting to the heart of the matter whereas with this one, it's already there as this takes place in an alternative timeline where the events of the original series takes on a different ending. So far, it has been every bit as great as I remember.
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - I can't expect a show spanning 24 episodes (the equivalent of) to tell a story as great as something 100+ episodes does, but so far the show has done a solid job in introducing the characters, all while the animation makes this show come alive in a big way.
    Megalo Box - This show is another sports anime done right as there's a great story going on, and a nicely done underdog one at that. Character development has been tremendous so far.
    Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online - While it doesn't have the epic story the SAO series has (at least the first arc), it's a show that does a solid job in being more slice-of-life oriented. The gaming action and the background stories are done well, at least putting the worst arcs of the SAO series to shame.
    Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku - The comedy is great, and the atmosphere is very fun and inviting. And in the midst of all that commotion, the show is doing a nice job with character development so far.
    Ninja Girl and Samurai Master (short) - This show continues to do everything the first two seasons do so well in being short and humorous in a situation where it really isn't appropriate in most cases.
    Isekai Izakaya: Japanese Food from Another World (short) - It's a short that's more meant to be an advertisement for dishes, and while the show doesn't leave the same impact as Restaurant to Another World, it still is fun to watch this short for the Food Wars-style imagery.
    My Sweet Tyrant (short) - It's a cute short that does a decent job with the comedy, all while it never gets cringeworthy. Things get stale at times, but the short time makes it tolerable.

MIDFIELD
    Caligula - This show is really hard to get a read on as it's full of mysteries and stuff that really isn't coming out. But this show has lots of intrigue and the mystery aspect is nicely done so far.
    Tada Never Falls in Love - Seeing that this is by the same guy who did Nozaki-kun, the show has had some nice comedy and character development so far. The characters are an interesting bunch, all while the awkward situations are funny. The comedy is nowhere as strong as in Nozaki-kun, but it is crafting a good story to compensate for it.
    Cutie Honey Universe - This is a show that only those who appreciate Go Nagai's style are going to enjoy as it's just full of problems, the biggest one being the storytelling as it's way too nonsensical for its own good. Not to mention, the animation is mediocre and the change of opening theme song will irk fans of this franchise. That said, it passes the test, and then some, for a worthwhile guilty pleasure with great action and a bold approach to it.
    Devils' Line - The show is pretty much like Tokyo Ghoul, except that it's vampires/devils sucking blood instead of ghouls devouring flesh, and the focus is more on the romantic aspect than the action. The show has some great intrigue, but the execution has been off the mark as the show isn't quite sure what it wants to be, all while the animation just doesn't look right.
    Uma Musume: Pretty Derby - It's another one of those gimmicky shows where girls take the place of something else, in this case horses. That said, the animation is great as to be expected out of P.A. Works that is surprisingly doing this, all while it's another one of those feel-good shows with some decent drama to it. But in the end, its gimmicky nature is always going to be a huge strike against this show. Still, it is enjoyable.
    Last Period - The story is absolutely a joke, but the comedy is pretty good all while the characters are an interesting bunch, especially the Team Rocket-like trio. But above all, it's there to advertise a smartphone game, and this holds to form.
    Doreiku - The show has an interesting premise and some good drama, but the show seems to be taking a slave-of-the-week approach, while the MCs aren't really getting established through all that info dumping.
    Dances with the Dragons - This show has great action, but the story is just confusing as hell as I don't know what the heck is going on or what this show wants to be. If I'm going to watch this, it's for the action more than anything.
    Gundam Build Divers - This has all the makings of a kids show as it's all about playing Gundam on VR and is not a true Gundam series. That said, the characters are a solid bunch, all while the show has decent action, but the story is just all over the place.
    Libra of Nil Admirari - This is a pretty typical otome game adaptation as so far it has been about the MC meeting and greeting all the pretty boys, while not really establishing a strong backbone. But I give this show props for making the animation match the show's atmosphere of being in the Meiji era.
    Crossing Time (short) - The formula for this show is pretty simple, and for its short run time it does the job with some amusing chats.
    Alice or Alice (short) - This is all about putting siscon crap into high gear as it's introduces the cute girls, and then doing slutty stuff to amuse the big brother. Still, it has some appeal.
    Space Battleship Tiramisu (short) - This show is funny, but at the same time the jokes can get stale all while the animation is really terrible.
    Love to Lie Angle (short) - The girls are interesting, but the show gets totally cringeworthy with the amount of ecchiness.

OWN 20
    Comic Girls - The show is a solid cute girls doing cute things show, but it doesn't do much beyond satisfying those who are into shows like these. That said, while I like what I have seen, I don't feel that I'm getting a whole lot out of this that I can get from similar shows.
    Persona 5 - I didn't play the game, and while I was told that it's not necessary, I just don't understand what's going on. Maybe I'll play the game someday, but until then it's on hold. The story is interesting, and the production values are great, but I just wasn't getting into it.
    Kakuriyo: Bed and Breakfast for Spirits - This show has some nice, heartwarming stories that are interesting. But at the same time, this show just doesn't do anything special for it to overcome the fact that I'm not part of the target audience for this show.
    Magical Girl Ore - The show is good for some laughs as it tries to be as messed up as it possibly could. Even so, at some point I would have enough of it.
    Magical Girl Site - This is certainly one of the most disturbing shows I have come across recently. While I do enjoy the drama and trauma like in Madoka Magica, this one just puts on the pain with no reasonable justification for it, leading to stuff that's simply cringeworthy.
    Real Girl - This show has a decent premise, but overall I just feel indifferent about the characters, all while the animation is mediocre and the story just wasn't grabbing me.
    Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori - The show is heartwarming, and it has a bit of drama in it, but above all it's a show for fujoshis, and not really for me.
    Gurazeni - This show has a good concept looking at the money aspect of pro baseball, but it just failed to capture my interest.
    Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis - I haven't watched anything else from this franchise, but this version just had me lost, all while the action just was lacking with the CGI artwork. An easy decision not to continue with this show.
    Creatures Family Days - It's surprisingly entertaining that manages to do a decent job in mixing tragic with heartwarming. But at the same time, it suffers the problem that shows from Chinese source materials tend to have.
    Butlers x Battlers - This show is just boring and I was totally lost with what was going on. Pass.
    LadySpo (short) - All it took was one minute to know just how trashy this show is. Some of the laziest animation I have seen, even for a short.
    You Don't Know Gunma Yet (short) - I just wasn't getting into this short with the pretty boys doing all sorts of nauseating things.

And finally, I will mention that I skipped a number of shows entirely, either due to low interest or because it's not available to stream until Netflix puts it out until the end of the season. Applying to the former are Gegege no Kitaro, Major 2nd, and Captain Tsubasa (though in Tsubasa's case, it's not streaming anywhere dues to some licensing difficulties), and for the latter are Hisone and Masotan, Piano Forest, Unit Pandora, and Lost Song, while I'm going to wait for the simuldub before checking out High School DxD Hero.

So with the way the season is shaping up, it looks like I'm going to easily hit the 22 show (standard length only) allotment, which is absolutely the most I can take on, with 16 slots already accounted for, leaving me with up to six more between the ten shows in the middle group. As of today, I have already dropped Nil Admirari and Build Divers, while only one will stay between Doreiku and Dances with the Dragons. And while Last Period and Umamusume were obvious choices to bite the dust, not so much after watching the most recent episodes. And I'm still kind of debating with Cutie Honey and Devils' Line as well. At this time, only Caligula and Tada have made the cut. Once again, the shows were placed in these tiers based on where they stand a week and a half ago.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Post-simulcast Report: April 1-15

Here is the first post-simulcast report of the season, and seeing how it took overtime to finish up the winter season that I'm just now getting to my spring reviews. First this, and my first impressions that I hope to have written by tomorrow.

* indicates simulcast completed
    ^ indicates rewatched show

Completed

*Overlord II: B+

*Mitchiri Neko: C-

*Violet Evergarden: A

Fate/Apocrypha (13-25): C+
    While this show had some great things going for it, the execution was just off the mark. It has interesting characters, a curious setup of having two sets of servants battling it out for the Holy Grail, and the animation is pretty solid as while A-1 is a far cry from Ufotable, they are reliable. This show does a nice job in drawing viewers who are into the Fate series very nicely with all that other stuff. That said, this show has some serious issues with the biggest problem being the way the story was directed as things are just happening without sufficient buildup or explanations. It's a show where personal agendas get in the way, but what the other Fate series do so well is to make the viewers feel for such characters, which is totally lacking in this series as they end up being shallow characters that drags the story down, and in turn make a number of characters cringeworthyly unlikable. And also, the story in the second half just felt rushed. This show could have been great with better direction and more episodes, but it had to make do, which really doesn't really do it at all.

^Himouto! Umaru-chan (1-12, S shorts 1-12): B
    This show has some great comedy and fun characters to make for a fun time to watch. This show has a few issues in that the jokes tend to get stale and repetitive, all while it lacks a story and there's no character growth whatsoever when there should have been at least a little bit of it. In all, this show is all about having fun and relaxing, and this show does a great job at that.

Ongoing

[DCL] Den-noh Coil (1-5)
    [DBZ-K2] Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters (47-56)
    [FCB-4] Future Card Buddyfight X (1-3)
    [GIN] Gintama (1-7)
    [HXH] Hunter x Hunter (81-82)
    [NAR-S] Naruto Shippuden (191-193)
    [PKM-SM] Pokemon Sun and Moon (36-45)

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied
    Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
    Well, even if you don't really do these posts, at the very least you can just do the list part. Speaking of which, I am wondering if you plan on doing your final reviews for the Winter 2018 season or not (and I'm under the impression that you are waiting to get the chance to watch Violet Evergarden before you do it). If not, at least consider doing only the list.
    I can certainly do the lists at the beginning and end of every season. I assumed nobody really looked at them at this point, but if you do, the grades and rankings are easy enough to put together. I didn't even do a first post for Winter 2018, or a final one for Fall 2017. I haven't gotten around to Violet Evergarden yet; it's hard to slot those Netflix shows in with my usual one-episode-a-week simulcast schedule. Hopefully I'll get around to it eventually. Unfortunately, my excitement for it now is less than at the beginning of the year.

Leave a comment:

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Working...
X