X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2018] Libra of Nil Admirari Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ニル・アドミラリの天秤 帝都幻惑綺譚

A show adapted from an otome game about a girl living in the Taishou era that lasted longer than in the history books who is quite desperate to keep her family. But things change when her brother commits suicide and she gets a powerful book.

Airs: Sunday, April 8, 2018

Studio: Zero-G

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The Taishou era didn't end in 15 years, but went on for another 25. In order to protect her waning family, a girl resolves to marry a man she doesn't even know the name of. However, just before the marriage was to take place, the girl's younger brother mysteriously committed suicide by self-immolation and was found holding an old book in his hands. Appearing before the bewildered young girl was the "Imperial Library Intelligence Asset Management Bureau," more commonly referred to as "Fukurou." According to these men, there exists "Maremono," which are books that greatly affect their readers. On top of that, ever since the incident involving the girl's younger brother, she unwittingly gains the ability to see "Auras" (the sentiments of the Maremono which manifest as bright lights and are usually invisible to humans). It was as though fate were trying to drag the young girl in its flames. And then, even though apprehensive, the girl chooses to venture outside her bird cage. Jealousy, hatred, scorn, compassion, and love. What awaited the girl was the darkness of betrayal that had already begun to bewitchingly inlay the imperial capital. Toyed by and swayed within that darkness, will the young girl finally reach the truth after her struggles, or...?

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Books can kill.

So it begins with Tsugumi trying to marry her way out of a bad family situation, but things take a turn for the worse when Hitaki tries to commit suicide by burning himself. Hitaki is still alive, but barely as Tsugumi can't see him for awhile. It turns out that a book was responsible, and she sees firsthand why the cursed ones are not to be messed with. So now, the wedding has been postponed, and Tsugumi has a new job with the library intelligence bureau to put a stop to these cursed books. Not a bad start there seeing that I generally have low expectations from shows adapted from otome games, and even less so given Studio Zero-G's poor reputation, but it has my interest for the time being.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Her mission: to throw the book on these books.

This is a pretty typical way to open up an otome game adaptation where the heroine goes and meets all the pretty boys she will be putting up with for the series, except that in this show it happens in the second episode. The characters are pretty interesting, but still they are the standard guys commonly found in these types of shows. Tsugumi has her work cut out if she wants to put an end to these cursed books. Pretty dull, but at least with some intrigue to it.

So I'll give it another episode, but it doesn't look like this show is going to stick. I was hopeful, but then again this is a genre with a low hit rate, and not to mention there are quite a lot of shows this season that I'm more interested in.

Comment

Episode 3

Same goal, different approaches.

Tsugumi shows off her cooking skills, which ends up being quite useful at the bureau. Then she meets another pretty boy in Rui, and this medical school student happens to be a member of the Kagutsuchi, and while they are also out to put a stop to these cursed tomes, their approach is to destroy them, contents and all, rather than to just remove the harmful text and archive the rest that Fukurou is doing. Things sure changed in quite a big way, and I'm not sure if that's for the better or not.

So with that, I guess I'll give it one more episode, but seeing that this episode pretty much emphasized most of the weak points of shows adapted from otome games, chances are it's on the outside looking in.

Comment

Episode 4

Not having a ball.

Now Tsugumi meets the Prime Minister's son, Shougo, and he's not exactly thrilled to be part of Fukurou. And then it's off to the ball for her next case as Shougo tells her to act more ladylike. All while a criminal organization is making these cursed tomes. Pretty much, it just introduced Shougo here as he's quite a handful to put up with, all while seemingly forgetting that Tsugumi has a job here.

So with that, I can definitively say that I have thrown the book on this show as the trial period expires. In other words, it's out as I wanted to like this show, but I just couldn't find much of a reason to given the high strikeout rate this genre has.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X