X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2017] Atom the Beginning Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    アトム ザ・ビギニング

The prequel to the Astro Boy series. This show tells the story about how Atom, a.k.a. Astro Boy, came to be.

Airs: Saturday, April 15

Studio: Production I.G

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

Japan in the near future suffers an unexplained major disaster. Five years later, reconstruction is well underway. Two young researchers at a university are pinning all their hopes on robot development. Now their new interpretation of the eternal hero Astro Boy up until his birth is just about to start!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Echidna, Re:Zero
    Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

He's got a mind of his own.

And so, it all begins with Umataro and Hiroshi being grad students working on their thesis in the form of a robot with a mind of his own. Umataro isn't exactly getting good vibes from everybody else with it, but then his invention saves the day when his robot Atom floods the parade scene to stop a rogue machine from causing a massive explosion with the a large crowd present, and thus is the beginning of Atom, or Astro Boy. Pretty interesting start and IG does a great job in modernizing the old-school look, but it's not something that grabbed me right away given that my interest level for this show wasn't high to begin with. So I'll give it another episode, but it doesn't look like I'm in for the long haul.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Save the girl, no questions asked.

While Hiroshi and Umataro are presenting in their campaign to get for funding for their research, and botching it pretty badly, Ran is curious about the robot that would later become Astro Boy, currently known as A106. She gets herself in a lot of trouble as a robotic hitman is out to get Six, and the woman controlling him is up to some nasty plot. But with Ran in the way that she has that guy target her instead, while once again Six acts on human reasoning once again to save the day. The fight was pretty disappointing, and it didn't have the lasting impact of the previous episode, but it goes to show that those two grad students are ahead of the times, but there are a lot of guys who aren't on-board with what they are doing.

So I guess I'll give it one more episode, but it doesn't look like I'll be staying with this show. It has some good things going for it, but I just don't feel that it's grabbing my attention.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
      Widgets Magazine
      Working...
      X