X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2018] Devils' Line Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    デビルズライン

A show about vampires living among humans, and while they don't need to suck blood to survive, the urge can get the best of them.

Airs: Saturday, April 7, 2018

Studio: Platinum Vision

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    HIDIVE

Anzai, half vampire, and Tsukasa, a normal school girl.

Vampires seem to be living among humans. Of course the government does not know of their existence, because their appearance does not differ from humans. They also do not need to drink blood, but when they get a craving or get angry, they can become uncontrollable monsters.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Out for blood.

This sure got off to a bloody start there with the vampire attacks and all sorts of other violent happenings there. Tsukasa nearly gets caught up in one of the murders as unbeknownst to her, her close friend Akimura is a vampire who has killed several women in order to protect Tsukasa, and he would have killed her had Anzai not intervened. That feels just like Tokyo Ghoul there, except that instead of ghouls needing flesh to survive, it's vampires who need blood to avoid going berserk. Pretty interesting stuff so far, though I'm not convinced at this point as the introduction gave me bad vibes about this show. Still, I'm intrigued to see how the relationship between Tsukasa and Anzai will go given the type of person Anzai is.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Be careful who you love.

This episode explains why it's risky business for a human to marry a vampire as Yuuko and Ochiai show the potential consequences. Yuuko killed her husband when her vampiric urges take over to suck his blood, all while Ochiai tries to attack and rape Tsukasa despite the fact that he's married with children. And when Ochiai attacks Tsukasa, Anzai got the wrong message and had to be stopped by Tsukasa when it was clear that he was out to kill him. That got pretty messy there with so many romantic relationships at risk due to the nature of vampires.

So with that, I'll keep going for a little while longer before deciding on this show. It's one of the borderline shows for this season, so I'll continue its evaluation before making a decision on it as while the story is interesting, the execution hasn't been the best it it could be possibly.

Comment

Episode 3

Devils are still devils.

Even more Tokyo Ghoul likeness here as just like with that show, there are good and bad people of both kinds, and unfortunately the society only thinks about the bad apples leading to the good ones of both races suffering. That was on display here as Tsukasa and Anzai are in love, and Anzai is trying his hardest not to become a menace to society. But all of that changed when somebody tried to kill Anzai, and that has brought out the worst out of him going to show that in this society, intent doesn't matter. Quite a turn of events that was as now Anzai is becoming exactly what others think guys like him are thanks to those lamebrains.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode. While I had hopes this would turn out well, unfortunately production values just aren't doing much justice for this show.

Comment

Episode 4

Need to build up the tolerance.

So Anzai was targeted because of his high body temperature, which was made even higher than that of a regular devil because he tried so hard to resist the urge. Thus, he was hunted, and while he did get his blood to quell his urge from another half-devil in Hans, he hadn't built up the tolerance leading him to go even more berserk. Because of that, Anzai is not seeing Tsukasa for awhile. But now things take yet another dramatic turn there at the end when a reported was murdered during a live broadcast.

So with that, the trial period is over, and while I haven't been overly impressed by this show's production values, I do like the drama and romantic aspect that has my attention. That said, I'm undecided about this show at this time and I will need to sit down and sort things out.

Comment

Episode 5

Devils gone wild.

So that murder of a reporter on live TV sparked a bunch of devils going berserk, and Tsukasa manages to get away thanks to Hans getting her and Anzai out of trouble. And then comes some info dumping there where devils have a shorter lifespan than normal humans, all while Tsukasa is doing whatever she can to extend Anzai's lifespan. I get the feeling that things are not going to end well for the two given all the chaos going on, as well as the security forces getting aggressive in stoping devils before they become a great threat. Then there's that scene at the end where Kikuhara kills Murakami after he stabbed 07. Something is definitely up with Kikuhara and that is a pretty ominous way to end things.

So with that, I'll give this show an extended trial. The manga is pretty good from what I hear, and while the show is decent storywise, it is being handled by a no-name studio that just isn't bringing out the show to its full potential. So I'll decide for sure after watching one more episode of this.

Comment

Episode 6

No sympathy for the devil.

So that reporter and Agent 07, who's name is Nanako, survived that attack and are in the hospital, but Nanako is not thrilled with what Kikuhara is up to as they are out to hunt the demons, even if they kill humans in the process who are suspected of being demons. She ends up escaping the hospital and has become a fugitive. And now, Anzai is called into action, all while Hans, whose real name is Johannes Kleeman, is backing him up. The chaos is far less than it was in the previous episode, but nevertheless the situation is pretty dire when all is said and done.

So with that, the extended trial period is over for this show, and I'll wait until I finish the extended trial period of the other borderline show before deciding which is the last one to make the cut.

Comment

Episode 7

Bust the bloodlust.

Nanako is on the run, and she's helping out Tsukasa seeing that she only hunts devils unlike her CCC comrades. Things took quite a turn there when Ushio was sent to deal with her as he's a spy for the CCC, and his reason for killing is to free devils from their bloodlust that has caused pain for everybody, including themselves. The situation just keeps on getting more and more bleak.

So with that, this show makes the cut as the final show on this season's watchlist. It was one of those shows with a great setup, but the show took awhile to get going, and it has gotten much better after a lackluster start. I'm quite interested in the direction this show is going, so that's why it won out in the end. It would have been much better if it were handled by a more reputable studio, but given how great the manga is from what I'm hearing that I decided to continue with this show.

Comment

Episode 8

Keep calm and love a devil.

Anzai activated his instincts without transforming, and that allowed him to save Tsukasa. And afterwards, they reaffirm their romance as those two are going to fall in love no matter what anybody else says. The doctor is pretty helpful there finding ways to keep his body from getting too hot, all while proving some tools to keep him restrained. In the meantime, there's that lady who is also in love with a devil, and it looks like this Midori is Anzai's human mother and Tamaki his devil father seeing that in the credits, her name is Midori Anzai, and Sako was her maiden name. Interesting developments are going on nevertheless.

Comment

Episode 9

She's caught between a rock and a hard place.

This is an episode that focuses on Nanako as she came to despise devils when her mother Sayuri was raped and murdered by Morisawa, who was a good guy until bloodlust caused him to go berserk. It's pretty understandable why she wanted all devils gone as she doesn't want more guys like Morikawa out there. But the situation has changed seeing that she doesn't agree with Kikuhara's extermination campaign that the masses have bought into. Nanako sure had it rough because of her stepfather-to-be seeing that Sayuri was a widow and fell in love with Morisawa hoping to live a happy life together. But fate had other plans and now she's on the run. Pretty interesting to see what this Ichiharu is up to as while he's part of CCC, he's intrigued by the devils.

Comment

Episode 10

Out for blood.

Ochiai is back, and that triggers Anzai's vampiric instincts, but Ishimaru puts a stop to it before it got out of hand. So he's training to control his power seeing that it's going to be crucial that he does. As it turns out, the fact that blood can heal a devil has been a well-kept secret seeing that with the public disapproving of devils hat it could lead to an ugly situation should it get out. And now Anzai is going to soon learn about his past seeing that he has forgotten it for a good reason. Pretty much, it's all about preparing for the big battle ahead as he's dead meat if he goes out as he is. In the meantime, Ishimaru is up to something as he's the one known as Jason.

Comment

Episode 11

Giving devils a bad name.

Ishimaru leads a raid, but it ends up being a trap as he's a mole for the CCC, all while Makumura is another spy that's playing along. All of this was to get the public on the anti-devils side so that the CCC can get the go-ahead to exterminate them. Things quickly went to hell there, especially with Anzai getting shot there at the end. One more episode left a lot of crazy stuff is about to go down after what just happened.

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

There's still hope for coexistence.

Tsukasa made quite a daring choice there offering her blood to save Anzai. And it worked as while it meant a long hospital stay for Tsukasa, Anzai is alive, and then Johannes got the tranquilizer to knock him out. So after all this, the two are separated seeing that they don't want a repeat of what happened with Anzai's father when his mother was killed by humans and Tamaki went on a rampage to take revenge on the humans. Even so, they were determined to move forward, and they did just that as years later they finally see each other again with Tsukasa hard at work in making coexistence possible. Pretty solid way to end this going to show that people just aren't seeing the full picture of how devils can be great citizens the public is only seeing them for the evil monsters that they appear to be.

Overall, this show has a nice story concept full of intrigue, solid drama, and good character development that makes it entertaining to watch despite the obvious similarities to Tokyo Ghoul. While the story was good to watch, production values are just bad as this is what usually happens with a no-name studio. The animation quality was poor, while the story was just lacking cohesion with the way it was put together. Even so, it was a show I'm glad to have watched despite these problems.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine
                          Working...
                          X