Widgets Magazine

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2018] Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ソードアート・オンライン オルタナティブ ガンゲイル・オンライン

A show set in the same world as SAO about a group of GGO gamers. This is a completely separate story from SAO as Reki Kawahara isn't involved in this, while Kirito and company are not expected to appear.

Airs: Saturday, April 7, 2018

Studio: 3hz

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Karen Kohiruimaki always felt out of place in the real world. Due to her extreme height, she found it hard to make friends with other girls her age. Everything changes when she's introduced to VR and Gun Gale Online. In GGO, Karen is free to play the cute, chibi avatar of her dreams! Can Karen find friendship in this bullet-ridden MMO...?

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Going in with guns ablazing.

And it starts with LLENN smack dab in the middle of a GGO campaign with M. Those two make quite a formidable team there with M being the brains, and LLENN using her quickness and petit structure to go toe-to-toe with the pros. And by pros, these guys are JSDF soldiers using GGO to train.

While this isn't nowhere near the story SAO is (at least with the Aincrad Arc), it certainly is a fun time to be had seeing that Reki Kawahara isn't involved in this, and the only thing shared with SAO is the world. But other than that, this is a stand-alone thing.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

The animation and music may not be on the level of SAO proper, but I'll take this girl over Kirito any day. Not a bad first showing for a seemingly inconsequential little trifle.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

It was fun, and sometimes that's enough. At least so far the tactics "felt" right, though my only (lack of) experience is from reading military SF.

Comment

This was a promising start. Looks good, but we'll have to wait to find out what the overarching story will be; Unlike the previous series, which were all set up from the start.
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

In short, being tall sucks.

And now, the show gets to the true beginning that explains how Karen got into GGO as the first episode was more of a teaser of things to come. Karen has such an height complex being none too pleased about being tall, and she tried playing different games, but always managing to get a tall avatar. Then she played GGO where her desire to play as a cute little girl finally came to fruition. And she really stood out between her short stature, her pink outfit, and beating a number of good players in the game. And then she met Pitohui where they became buddies. Quite a nice story that was going to show just how GGO has changed Karen. It will be interesting to see what happens next now that Llenn has become a GGO celebrity.

Comment

Episode 3

She's a big fan.

LLENN and Pito are building up their chemistry together, all while Karen is staring to come to terms with her real life a bit better. Pretty much, this is info dumping about the upcoming Squad Jam tournament that took place in the first episode as it will just be LLENN and M fighting with Pito having a commitment to attend to making her unable to participate. And while that's going on LLENN is writing a fan letter to her favorite singer Elsa Kanzaki, but I get the feeling that she's a lot closer than she realizes. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. But in the meantime, there's a tournament to be won.

Comment

Episode 4

Drop your support.

That was quite an intense battle there between the final three. M brings out the inpenetrable shield to counter the first enemy's advantage of having a hovercraft, and shooting without his guiding lasers to help him out allowing him to shoot without letting the enemy know about it. Then LLENN gets shot in the shoulder while M is struck in the thigh shortly after the map scan, and they manage to get away. Then comes the ending where M tries to shoot LLENN, but the pint-sized shooter in pink is too quick, and decides to finish the battle herself. That was some weird drama there at the end.

Comment

Episode 5

This is a team game.

So it turns out that M tried to shoot LLENN for the most frivolous of reasons as M was threatened by Pitohui to win or else get killed IRL, but of course that's not really going to happen. The plan was to shoot her and then surrender. But of course, LLENN wouldn't have any of it. So the final showdown is on, and LLENN becomes quite resourceful there using grenades to escape, and then using her gun as a shield when she's up against Eva. Even though LLENN decides to go at it alone, M helps her out with his precision sniping, and LLENN uses her mobility to win Squad Jam. And then afterwards, LLENN meets the players from that team IRL as those burly ladies in the games are controlled by a high school rhythmic gymnastics club. Quite a thrilling finish that was, and even more irony there at the end as while Karen has gotten younger in the game, the reverse is the case for the team she defeated.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                    Episode 5

This is a team game.

So it turns out that M tried to shoot LLENN for the most frivolous of reasons as M was threatened by Pitohui to win or else get killed IRL, but of course that's not really going to happen. The plan was to shoot her and then surrender. But of course, LLENN wouldn't have any of it. So the final showdown is on, and LLENN becomes quite resourceful there using grenades to escape, and then using her gun as a shield when she's up against Eva. Even though LLENN decides to go at it alone, M helps her out with his precision sniping, and LLENN uses her mobility to win Squad Jam. And then afterwards, LLENN meets the players from that team IRL as those burly ladies in the games are controlled by a high school rhythmic gymnastics club. Quite a thrilling finish that was, and even more irony there at the end as while Karen has gotten younger in the game, the reverse is the case for the team she defeated.
                    I'm not going to dismiss M's fears out-of-hand. We are talking about the same universe where the SAO death game existed, Laughing Coffin PKers, and the Death Gun storyline.

The meeting between Karen and the chibi-club girls: Priceless.

Given that coincidence, the odds of

Spoiler ->the reason for Pitohui being absent at the same time as the idol concert is taking place because of the idol concert, just went up even more than the already were.

So, with 5 episodes in, we've had a very effective introduction to Karen/LLEN and her situation with some really solid and good action. Where we go from here, well, I want to know, which means that this show has done exactly what it was supposed to do.
                    My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                    1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                    2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                    3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Looks promising, hope it has some great action, but Kirito is great.

Comment

Episode 5.5

Today's episode is a recap, but the producers decided to spice things up a bit by adding sound effects to the intro, doing some narration, and then the post-ending omake that was pretty hilarious. There's the 108 resets, and then to emphasize the importance of having the right sound effects, they play that scene where LLENN and M square off against the third place team where all the sound effects are replaced with something inappropriate, and that was totally LOL.

Comment

Episode 6

Obsessed with death.

The next Squad Jam is just around the corner, but Karen is entering it with a chip on her shoulder as M's player has approached her asking LLENN to kick Pito's ass in the next tournament because she's serious about killing him, and then herself. As it turns out, Pito was one of the beta players in SAO, but se couldn't get her hands on the game, and thus she wasn't one of the players trapped inside the game. But she got her obsession with death when she heard it was a death game, and looked up to the PKs. Pretty much, this episode was transition into the next arc as this time, it's LLENN and Fukaziroh forming a team to compete against M and Pito and other teams.

Comment

Episode 7

This time, it's personal.

Fukaziroh has entered the game, and she's another pint-sized player like LLENN. Her weapon of choice is a pair of grenade revolvers that she spent quite a lot of money on with all the credits M gave them. While she splurged, it's a weapon fit for her. So the next Squad Jam begins with LLENN and Fukaziroh up against Pitohui and M before going after SHINC, Memento Mori, and the other favorites to win. Pretty much, it's all about getting Fukaziroh acclimated with her character in the game and having a great time in preparation for SJ2 seeing that LLENN has a mission to defeat Pito seeing that the consequences are much more serious this time around.

Comment

Episode 8

She's got a long way to go.

Squad Jam 2 is on, and it's going to take awhile before LLENN and Pito square off as they were placed on opposite ends of the battlefield. And that's probably a good thing since she and Fukaziroh need to build up their team chemistry seeing that both players acted impulsive that it would have been game over if it happened simultaneously. Not to mention, Pito is so dangerous that seven teams joining forces to take her down will be no sweat for her. LLENN and Fukziroh sure are working well together as a team, but of course the biggest test is yet to come. Seeing that Pito can handle all those teams by herself that she can just sit back and let Pito do all the dirty work so that nothing stands in the way of their showdown.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X