Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 8

It ain't over 'til it's over.

So in the end, Mikio was cheating his way into Megalonia as he was not completely sure that Joe's identity was forged, but then he would say something that would come back to haunt him where only the real deal is allowed into Megalonia. And by that, it means boxers who have proven their worth in the ring, not somebody who wins by default. Joe has a huge advantage over Mikio as he relies on his AI-equipped gear to read the movements of his opponent's gear, and without a gear he's destined to lose against Joe's superior techniques and conditioning. So after Nanbu's heated talk with Yukiko, it wasn't until the ceremony that she decides that Mikio needed to earn his ticket the right way. That was quite a dramatic turn of events there, and it is just amazing to watch it all go down. Next time, Joe is getting ready to show Mikio why his responsible sister was chosen to succeed their father and not this douchebag.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 8

As unrealistic as it is to bust into a proper ceremony and get your way, Joe's arrival was brilliantly directed, especially with the music pumping so hard over it. Obviously something like this had to happen sooner or later, essentially making the twist from the previous episode moot, but it did put a lot of stress on the characters, so seeing them try to figure out a solution was an interesting enough diversion from the regular formula this time. Plus, now Joe has even more reasons to want to kick Mikio's ass in their fight.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 9

Gotta earn it.

That was quite a fight there with Joe going to show how Mikio has been overdependent on his gear. But even so, he puts up quite a fight there seeing that even though he initially earned his ticket through shady means, he had Joe on the ropes before Joe remembers that he?s Joe. Quite the comeback that was and it goes to show that even without cheating, Mikio is more than qualified to fight in Megalonia, but falling just short of it. Now that Joe has won, it's onto Megalonia at long last.
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 9

A pretty standard episode, but definitely an effective climax and satisfying catharsis. Looking forward to the big final four.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 10

The greatest opponent is outside the ring.

My goodness did things get ugly outside the ring. Forget about becoming champion as Team Nowhere has far greater opponents out there than Yuri or Joe's next opponent Burroughs. As it turns out, to get that fake ID from Fujimaki, Joe has to agree to throw the fight against Glenn and as such Fujimaki would strike it rich with the biggest fixed match in history. Then there's the revelation that Sachio's father was a freelance engineer whose research was stolen by the Shiratos to make Yuri's Gear. Even so, Yukiko is certainly the lesser of the evils. Damn did things take a turn there as the drama just continues to be great. And I like that they got a Spanish speaker to voice Pepe, and someone who's fluent in English to voice Burroughs.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

It will be interesting to see how Fujimaki ultimately gets his just desserts. He has held his power over the protagonists for the whole series.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 11

An eye for an eye, a tomorrow for a tomorrow.

As expected, Joe fought to win rather than to uphold Fujimaki's deal, and Nanbu paid the price for renegading on their deal by having his left eye gouged out just like with that fish meal. Things were going as planned to lose in in the third round, but Sachio wouldn't let it end this way as he went out to cheer Joe on, and Nanbu did the same knowing that he will have hell coming to him. And even Yuri encouraged him seeing that he only wants Joe to fight at his best. This was all about what the original show's title means as Joe has a tomorrow to look forward to. Quite an intense drama that was.

Comment

Re: Episode 11

A mostly predictable series of events, but still deftly executed for optimal impact. That was tense as all hell, and while it was a given that Joe was going to win, there was no chance that everyone was going to get through it with no repercussions, especially with Nanbu held captive by Fujimaki and his goons. It takes a hell of a man to rip out his remaining eye rather than roll over and accept his and a his comrade's fate as a puppet of a pompous douchebag. If Fujimaki ever receives any comeuppance, it sure hasn't happened yet. The protagonists are just lucky that he has some degree of respect for a man with such conviction. It's hard to imagine he'll just let them do whatever they want from now on, so it seems like they have to get their revenge somehow.

Sachio rapping was a little weird, but not as much as I would've expected if simply hearing about the scene. Reminded me of a cross between the hip hop interludes we've seen in this series already and the rapping scenes from Devilman :Crybaby. The few key tracks of the series are used over and over, but they're still so inherently strong and well-utilized that it's still effective throughout. This episode was an excellent example.

Just Yuri left to wrap it all up! Let's see if they've got some more surprises up their sleeve to send it off with.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 12

Let's fight mano a mano.

Yuri decides that he will go gearless in the championship bout against Joe, but unlike the other boxers the gear is attached to his body, so it has to be surgically removed. That was quite painful to watch Yuri suffering in agony, but he just wants to be an honorable guy. He could have easily lended a gear for Joe, but he chose to lose his instead. And Yukiko now knows the truth about Joe's forged citizenship, but decides to keep quiet about it for now. There are all sorts of reasons mounting as to why this fight should be called off, but Yukiko wants to see everything play out to the end. One more episode left as the long-awaited championship match between the champion and the underdog from the slums will close out this great series.

Comment

Re: Episode 12

Looks like Joe has finally earned everyone's respect, because the Ultimate Uptight Three are all smiling at him and doing their best to honor him as they lead up to the grand finale. Yuri ripping out his Gear and suffering torturous pain worse than death will probably lessen the impact of Joe's probably victory, but what can you do? It's still nobody from nowhere against the grand master.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 13 (Finale)

They're still alive.

Given the way the original Ashita no Joe series finished that I was fearing for the worse, but that didn't come to be. But boy does Yuri look like a total wreck after all that as removing the Gear did quite a number to his body. So the journey in the boxing ring continues for Team Nowhere after that as the finale goes to show that this bout was all about bringing out the best more so than winning the championship. I wasn't expecting it to end like this, but it opens up the possibility for another season. Just brilliant how everything went down with the show.

Overall, this show is simply amazing as the story really stands out unlike anything I have ever watched. The drama is well-done, the characters are well-developed, and this show goes far and beyond by making all the characters a lot more than they appear to be. Then there's the amazing hip hop soundtrack that really enhances the story. While it's great, it does have a couple of rather minor flaws that keep it from masterpiece status as the animation was just too blurry making things tough on the eyes, and the story felt like it dragged out as it felt like this show was seemingly not advancing. In all, this is one of the season's best shows.

MAL Rating:

Comment

Re: Episode 13 (Finale)

Interesting way to end it, not giving us the real conclusion and instead cutting to the simple lives the characters are leading a year later, with the expected results only revealed with no fanfare in an end card after absolutely everything else. The last moments we did see of the actual fight were intensely climactic, though, so I can't complain too much.

A hell of a new show for the season, even if it just followed the beats established by Ashita no Joe half a century ago. If it weren't for the resolution, it could've been a full-on masterpiece, but it was still great.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine
                          Working...