X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2018] Megalo Box Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    メガロボクス

A remake of Tomorrow's Joe where this incarnation, the sport of boxing has gone cyberpunk

Airs: Thursday, April 5, 2018

Studio: TMS Entertainment

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Ashita no Joe 50th anniversary project.

JD (Junk Dog) participates in fixed boxing matches in an underground ring in order to live. Today, he enters the ring again, but he encounters a certain person. JD wants to take on a challenge that risks everything.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

It's all bark and no bite for this stray dog?

This pretty much plays out like an old-school anime show seeing that it is an alternative universe of Ashita no Joe. That was pretty slow to develop there with Junk Dog losing, and then having a chance encounter with the champion, and then he comes down to fight J.D. in the underground arena. As much as J.D. aspires to be a champion, entering Megalonia is only for citizens, which he is not one of them. Anyway, this show didn't waste any time getting bloody seeing that this is boxing after all with some high-tech gear. And now, J.D. is about to get schooled by Yuri after he came all the way down there to fight in a place he shouldn't be in.

So with that, I'll give it some more episodes before deciding what to do. It's off to an alright start here, but the show is lacking in spark, all while I'm not digging the retro-style animation. In any case, I'll be around for another episode or two before making a decision.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

I've actually never had any experience with Ashita no Joe, although I am course very aware of its legacy and would like to read the manga one day. Since the Hajime no Ippo anime is my favorite sports thing outside of specific episodes or chapters of non-sports series, I have a very high bar for what boxing anime can be, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a simply decent one. This looks fine so far. I'm not that interested in the technology and would be fine with just straight boxing, but it has a lot of style and I'm curious to see where it goes. Not bad for a first episode that doesn't require any familiarity with the franchise it's spun off of.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Not in the same league.

JD had been doing well in the underground boxing league, but against the champion he didn't stand a chance. Even so, he's determined to make it to the top and face Yuri again, but to do that he needs to win his way in Megalonia, which he can't even enter as he's not a citizen. But after getting his ID forged and assuming the name Joe (where this show was inspired from), he has no choice but to win seeing that his coach has incurred quite a big debt. That was a nice way to follow up the first episode there going to show that JD needed to be taught a lesson in a big way, and boy did Yuri deliver on that.

So I'll keep going for now, and the show is really starting to take off now. Even so, I still need some more time to evaluate it on the subjectivity spectrum, but objectively it has been great.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Fuck, this show is great. Other than the fact that the studio is downscaling the shit out of the video because ??? (They want it to look older? Who the hell knows?), it's pretty damn stellar in every aspect. So I guess this is just a reinterpretation of the story of Ashita no Joe with a modern -- futuristic even -- twist. I'm sure I would appreciate the large-scale homage more if I was already a Joe fan, but it's so good on its own that just being able to recognize the most basic references to the most iconic elements of the series that have become part of the culture is enough to fully enjoy what it's doing. If I don't count it as a reboot or anything, it's easily the best show of the season that isn't some sort of sequel or true reboot. No, I don't see it reaching Hajime no Ippo levels at this point, but I wouldn't count out the possibility of having two boxing shows among my favorite sports anime by the end of it. Perhaps I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but with such promising episodes to kick it off, it's hard not to be excited.

Hip hop interlude was very stylish in a way that naturally recalled images of Samurai Champloo. I've also heard comparisons to Redline for the series overall, and I can definitely see that.

I do find it amusing that, in forging an official record, they just put "Joe" as the name. Might as well be McLovin.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Get in gear.

Joe has quite the daunting road ahead as before he can talk rematch against Yuri, he will have to win his way to the top. Even before that, he needs to qualify for Megalonia, and starting at the bottom he has his work cut out. The first step is finding some reliable gear, which is not easy to do in the slums. Those kids cause quite a lot of trouble, but it provides Joe with an opportunity to show that it's not the gear that decides who wins and loses, but the boxer using it. This show just continues to knock it out.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Ah, the climax of that episode. Fucking spot on. Usually kids like these are just annoying, but Sachio more than earns his spot as a potential main character, and Joe recognizes and respects that. He probably sees some of himself in the kid. The use of music also continues to be excellent in all ways. Again, the climax of this episode showed that more than ever.

This could absolutely be a standard formula of training and fighting to work up the ladder and achieve victory, but that is such a small part of a series that is doing so much more. I greatly appreciate that. It doesn't have to be about boxing at all, but it works even better with that element.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

Gearless and fearless.

Joe's road to qualifying for Megalonia begins with his first match against Samejima, a dirty fighter that has a tough time getting opponents to agree to fight, but that doesn't matter to Joe, and neither does the fact that he's fighting without a gear. He tried fighting on instinct alone, but without a gear he finds out quickly that it doesn't work. But after listening to Nanbu and Sachio, he takes their advice to turn the tables. And from there, he becomes an sensation, so much that now he's starting to fight the big boys. His next opponent is somebody who knows Nanbu, so it will be quite a fight coming up.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

I love that Joe's gimmick is that he's the only one in the game who just boxes with no enhancements. Even now that we're getting into fight episodes, they make sure to explore something under the surface. Joe's innate fear from facing the vicious pros essentially naked is a great first subject to explore, especially with Nanbu's coaching ability being tested and Sachio coming through as the voice of reason needed to pull the team together and get Joe's first win.

I don't need to see every match, so I'm fine with skipping all the inconsequential ones as we see Joe rise in the ranks until he attracts the attention of a high ranker with a connection to Nanbu.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

Back from the dead.

Joe's next opponent is Aragaki, and he knows Nanbu because he fought alongside him in the war and he lost his legs in it. Even so, he's boxing and is a pretty damn tough opponent for Joe seeing that he is one of the top-ranked boxers. But the way things ended up, it's no wonder he has hard feelings for Nanbu. In the meantime, Joe has his work cut out for him as he's unlike all those other small fries he has faced.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

No one-off opponent this time, and perhaps even Joe's first big loss. If anyone was going to break his streak, it was this guy, but he gets taken out so easily that the gap looks impossible to close. Aragaki is maintaining his reputation as a top Megalo Boxer able to crush anyone with a one-hit KO early in the fight. Maybe Joe does lose here, and Aragaki becomes the first major obstacle he has to improve to overcome on the path to the final boss of Yuri. Maybe he pulls this one off; things were looking dicey with his very first match in this world, after all. I'm intrigued to see where it goes either way.

Now that we're onto a more serial arc structure, Megalo Box isn't surprising me with how good it is anymore. Instead, it's found a solid, consistent level of quality that I can come to expect and enjoy each week. Can't complain about that.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 6

Living for tomorrow.

And Joe recovers just in time, but he's getting beaten up to a pulp so much that Nanbu is advising him to throw in the towel. But Joe didn't back down, and after some adjustments he turns the table, all while Aragaki's body is breaking down. No doubt that having those prosthetic legs meant that he couldn't last very long in the ring and his only path to victory was a quick KO. In the end, he forfeited the match after round 4 and retired from the sport. In the end, Joe's determination wins out, all while Aragaki walked away a better person as he made peace with his troubled past, all while finally understanding the meaning of life even though he can't enjoy it to its fullest. With that, it's onto Megalonia as Joe has qualified.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

Well look at that, Joe wins yet another one. Surely this streak has to stop eventually, but this was not the time. Aragaki seems like the clear winner, but Joe starts to learn his moves and get a good hit in, and unlike Joe, Aragaki does care about what's left of his body, so he makes the wiser move to give up and fight another day.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 7

This is one fight he cannot win.

Here comes Yukiko's brother Mikio, he's a dangerous opponent in another way in that he knows about Joe's forged identity. He?s out to expose Joe?s fotged identity by setting up a match to get him incriminated. Nanbu was well aware of the consequences of fighting this match, thus leading him to knock out Joe and forfeit the match. That just goes to show how much of a climb Joe has to the top as if going up against the best boxers isn't enough of a challenge, there's the fact that he needs a gear, he forged his identity to make it happen, and now somebody knows about it and is out to keep him out of the ring.
                            Last edited by Buckeye; 05-17-2018, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Everyone really was going too smoothly. Someone essentially throws away his ticket to Megalonia to give Joe a shot? Unlikely. And despite his Gear canceling out Joe's one advantage over everyone else with Gear, Joe already has the solution, which he was able to develop while in the worst shape imaginable from the aftermath of the Aragaki fight? Yeah, something definitely had to go wrong. It seems like he'll eventually have to suffer an actual loss as well, but this setback is definitely throwing a wrench into the plan that had been progressing so well.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...