Comic Girls Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
    This makes me so proud. So adorable, and fun to see the creators react to Crunchyroll's map like that.
    Congratulations!
    But I was kind of under the impression that Missourians did not easily believe they had got a first place about Comic Girls. ^_^
    Anyway, St. Louis style ribs are a well-known dish of Missouri, right?
    The official Twitter account for the Comic Girls anime has posted the picture and message on Twitter, and the Twitter message says, 'Thank you, Missouri' also in katakana. Regarding the dish that Chaos-sensei may be going to drop, the message says, 'Kansas City-style barbecue, which is a local speciality,' though.
    https://twitter.com/comiga_anime/sta...86155451514880
    On Twitter, Japanese people, too, said,'Congratulations!' and one of them said, 'Missouri? I don't know the location of Missouri offhand, Ababa.'
    Certainly, it would be difficult for an average Japanese person to point at the location of a state on a blank map or something of the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
      Congratulations!
      But I was kind of under the impression that Missourians did not easily believe they had got a first place about Comic Girls. ^_^
      Hah, interesting. I've actually never heard that expression before (though I'm definitely quite aware of the "Show Me State" nickname that comes from that expression, so I guess I should have known...)

I guess if there's any room for skepticism here, it's on the point of Crunchyroll's map excluding sequels. They excluded them because apparently almost every (maybe all) states would just be the ultra-popular My Hero Academia if all simulcast titles were included. Even excluding sequels, it's rare to see "cute girls doing cute things" shows pop up on maps like this because they are more niche among US viewing audiences (for instance, the Winter 2018 map did not have Laid-Back Camp or A Place Further than the Universe appear on any state), so it's really cool to see Comic Girls even pop up at all.

Anyway, St. Louis style ribs are a well-known dish of Missouri, right?
      The official Twitter account for the Comic Girls anime has posted the picture and message on Twitter, and the Twitter message says, 'Thank you, Missouri' also in katakana. Regarding the dish that Chaos-sensei may be going to drop, the message says, 'Kansas City-style barbecue, which is a local speciality,' though.
      https://twitter.com/comiga_anime/sta...86155451514880
      Both St. Louis and Kansas City are a several hours drive away from me. Barbecue ribs sounds good, though. Haven't had them in a long time.

On Twitter, Japanese people, too, said,'Congratulations!' and one of them said, 'Missouri? I don't know the location of Missouri offhand, Ababa.'
      Certainly, it would be difficult for an average Japanese person to point at the location of a state on a blank map or something of the USA.
      Heh, not surprising at all.
      Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 05-21-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Episode 7

Kaos benefiting from Fuura-senpai. Kaos happy about Ruki in glasses. Kaos getting herself a pair of glasses. Kaos having a collection of figures that look to varying degrees like Ruki. Kaos in a box. Someone help, this show is sending my soul to heaven.
        "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
        Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Episode 7

Originally posted by Momoka Kibi View Post
          Kaos having a collection of figures that look to varying degrees like Ruki.
          Hehe... I love how it's so noticeable even as we're seeing her buying the one figure at first. Amusing it ended up being a theme of sorts for her. Kaos really is showing how big of an otaku she is this episode in a variety of ways, including her reverence of glasses. She's not worthy, she thinks. But she is.

Comment

I guess if there's any room for skepticism here, it's on the point of Crunchyroll's map excluding sequels. They excluded them because apparently almost every (maybe all) states would just be the ultra-popular My Hero Academia if all simulcast titles were included. Even excluding sequels, it's rare to see "cute girls doing cute things" shows pop up on maps like this because they are more niche among US viewing audiences (for instance, the Winter 2018 map did not have Laid-Back Camp or A Place Further than the Universe appear on any state), so it's really cool to see Comic Girls even pop up at all.
            Since people often talk about nichijo-kei here in the Fandom Post fora, I was under the impression that so-called nichijo-kei or lighthearted comedic slice-of-life anime and manga (as you said, it seems that anime/manga fans in the Anglosphere use the term CGDCT/Cute Girls Doing Cute Things) might be so-so popular also in the States, but as your remark suggests, it may be just a local phenomenon in the Fandom Post fora and if we pull back the motion picture camera, we may see a different landscape.
            As to the reason why the Missouri part of Crunchyroll's map, which did not have Laid-Back Camp and A Place Further than the Universe, now has Comic Girls, possibly a lot of anime fans who like nichijo-kei have suddenly moved to Missouri from other states in this spring? ^_^

Both St. Louis and Kansas City are a several hours drive away from me. Barbecue ribs sounds good, though. Haven't had them in a long time.
            I see. It is possible that a native of an area does not necessarily frequently eats a local speciality dish of the area.
            Speaking of a local speciality dish, Sanuki udon noodle is a local speciality dish of Kagawa Prefecture, and people from other prefectures jokingly call Kagawa Prefecture Udon Prefecture. Even the local government of Kagawa Prefecture use the term 'Udon Prefecture' public relations-wise. And according to the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, Kagawa Prefecture got a first place in research on consumption of udon in the 47 prefectures. This is an examle of people of an area actually frequently eating a local speciality dish of the area.

Heh, not surprising at all.
            Japanese people who like jazz probably know of Missouri thanks to Count Basie (an important musician of Kansas City Jazz), Charlie Parker (born in KCK, raised in KCMO), and 'Saint Louis Blues'.
            People who watch American films may remember the scene where a character said, 'Kansas City, Kansas' when someone erroneously thought he was from Kansas City, Missouri in Stagecoach. They may also remember Robert Altman (born in KCMO) directed Kansas City.
            People who like baseball maybe know of the St. Louis Cardinals. (Sorry, the Royals.)
            I doubt Japanese Joe Sixpacks know that Anheuser-Busch is based in Missouri.
            People who often use greeting cards may know of Missouri because of Hallmark Cards.
            People who like American literature probably know of Missouri thanks to Mark Twain.
            People who like classical music may remember the Slatkin era of the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra.
            I have read an article written by the Japanese Consul in KCMO about Missouri for Japanese people, and he talked about the Spirit of St. Louis, Monsanto, beef, Branson and so on.
            'How is your state known to Japanese people?' might be an interesting subject. ^_^

Comment

As to the reason why the Missouri part of Crunchyroll's map, which did not have Laid-Back Camp and A Place Further than the Universe, now has Comic Girls, possibly a lot of anime fans who like nichijo-kei have suddenly moved to Missouri from other states in this spring? ^_^
              If they had gone by the same rules as this season, then Overlord II (which "won" the state in Winter) wouldn't be on the map due to being a sequel. Would have been interesting to know what was next up, though Overlord II is also one I watched and enjoyed.

Laid-Back Camp only managed to make it onto Crunchyroll's Europe map in a few small counties of apparently good taste. Some shows may have benefited from region restrictions limiting the viewing possibilities in some European counties.

Comment

Episode 8

Poor, poor Kaos. Eight episodes and she still seems to be completely hopeless on having an acceptable manga to publish. I have to wonder if she's even going to get her break by the end episode. And now all of the sudden we get the remark from dorm matron that the dorm is going to be shutting down. There's quite a depressing state of affairs to address with the last few episodes of the season...

It was nice to see the adult trio get a turn in the spotlight, though, and I like how they even went as far as changing the ED sequence for them too. Nijino-sensei is so into fangirling at this point that she forgets what her actual job is in relation to the four manga author students at times. The most interesting part of things her though is Mayu as we finally hear her honest thoughts on Kaos. It's really quite emotionally heavy how she feels about Kaos's struggle. And though she finally gets to say something encouraging to her, that's about all in terms of progress. Do hope we get to seeing a step forward in the coming episodes.

Comment

If they had gone by the same rules as this season, then Overlord II (which "won" the state in Winter) wouldn't be on the map due to being a sequel. Would have been interesting to know what was next up, though Overlord II is also one I watched and enjoyed.

Laid-Back Camp only managed to make it onto Crunchyroll's Europe map in a few small counties of apparently good taste. Some shows may have benefited from region restrictions limiting the viewing possibilities in some European counties.
                  Thank you for the info. It's interesting to see Yuru Camp have got a first place in a few country.

Vatican City Laid-Back Camp
                  So cardinals and Swiss guards like Laid-Back Camp? ^_^

Comment

Both St. Louis and Kansas City are a several hours drive away from me.
                    Because of Bobby Troup's 'Route 66' and the Route 66 TV drama series, Route 66 is well-known also to Japanese people.
                    It is possible that Japanese people who know about Route 66 also know of Springfield.

Comment

Episode 9

I love how Koyume's romantic pairing in her manga is pretty much just her and Tsubasa Also Kaos is so negative, she worries about being worthy of a parfait.

Episode 10

Ruki has photoshop skills (not really) and Tsubasa's mother is scary.

Episode 11

Somehow Kaos gets approved much to the shock of the universe. Interestingly enough they bring up the idea that perhaps the real problem Kaos has is overthinking things.

Episode 12

The dorm is closing down, everyone is leaving early and Kaos has to finish part 2 in time. We get quite a bit of Kaos' mother. Also Kaos does manage to finish in time and we end with everyong getting back together.

Oh and the dorm closing down thing? It wasn't as huge a deal as it usually is and thank goodness. Maybe if this was 24 episodes, we'd have time for it. But in a twelve episode series it would have been wasted.

In any case, this was definitely the best series of Spring for me. Well focusing on 1 cour series anyway and it definitely challenges multi cour ones.

"So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                      Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X