X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2018] Comic Girls Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    こみっくがーるず

A short about the daily lives of girls aspiring to becoming mangaka living together.

Airs: Thursday, April 5, 2018

Studio: Nexus

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The daily life of up-and-coming female mangaka living together in a dormitory.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Four mangakas under one roof.

That was pretty amusing seeing those four girls with four very different manga styles and skill levels living together in the dorm. Kaos is just terrible, but passionate about drawing manga, while Koyume is a yuri mangaka seeing that she sucks at drawing guys, Tsubasa does shonen, and Ruki does ecchi seeing that she draws boobs so well that she was introduced to a magazine for mature readers and she's too embarrassed to admit it. So to begin with, Kaos is back to square one, but at least her mindset is better after meeting some friends, all while the girls went to the grindstone to get Tsubasa's manga done. This is off to a decent stuff as it's pretty much lighthearted fun here, but doesn't really do much to differentiate itself from other shows of this kind.

So I'll keep watching for now before making a decision on this show through my usual process.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This show reminds of Hidamari Sketch. Could do without the MC's crybaby personality.
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

The questionnaire which the manga editor has is modelled on real-life questionnaires used by Hobunsha.
        The manga 'Ochiba Girl', which the reader said that it was so much fun in the questionnaire, is a parody of Wakaba Girl, of which tankobon was published by Hobunsha. Anime studio Nexus made the Wakaba Girl anime, and Nexus also makes the Comic Girls anime.
        ('Wakaba' is 'young leaves', 'ochiba' is 'fallen leaves'.)

The mangaka in Episode 2 of the Chaos Theatre are caricatures of 'gorgeous' characters of 1970s shojo manga.
        In the title card for Episode 3 of the /Kaos/ Theatre, the hiragana 'o' was dropped, and it became 'Kas', which means 'scum', and it corresponds with the mangaka's being ineffectual.
        While the Greek word 'chaos' is pronounced as /keios/ in English when Anglicised, Japanese people pronounce the loanword 'chaos' from Greek as /kaos/.
        There is a related discussion in the 'Honorific or Honorrible?' thread.
        https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/for...norrible/page4

The building of the publishing firm Bunhosha in the anime is modelled on the building of Hobunsha, which publishes the Comic Girls manga.
        https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...s_20101003.jpg

The creator of the Comic Girls manga is Hanzawa Kaori, and like Moeta Kaoruko/Chaos-sensei in Comic Girls, Hanzawa Kaori has been already a professional mangaka when her attending high school. And like Moeta Kaoruko/Chaos-sensei, Hanzawa Kaori was born in Fukushima Prefecture. You can see the Shinkansen bullet train platform of Shin Shirakawa Station in Fukushima Prefecture in Episode 1.

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
          The questionnaire which the manga editor has is modelled on real-life questionnaires used by Hobunsha.
          The manga 'Ochiba Girl', which the reader said that it was so much fun in the questionnaire, is a parody of Wakaba Girl, of which tankobon was published by Hobunsha. Anime studio Nexus made the Wakaba Girl anime, and Nexus also makes the Comic Girls anime.
          ('Wakaba' is 'young leaves', 'ochiba' is 'fallen leaves'.)
          Nexus did well with Wakaba Girl, and I'm liking that they're now getting their first solo full-length series with this. It's off to a fun, cute start so far.

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
          The creator of the Comic Girls manga is Hanzawa Kaori, and like Moeta Kaoruko/Chaos-sensei in Comic Girls, Hanzawa Kaori has been already a professional mangaka when her attending high school. And like Moeta Kaoruko/Chaos-sensei, Hanzawa Kaori was born in Fukushima Prefecture. You can see the Shinkansen bullet train platform of Shin Shirakawa Station in Fukushima Prefecture in Episode 1.
          I find it interesting that she apparently did shoujo manga for Ribon in the 00s. Neat to hear about her background and how some of it is incorporated here.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
            Nexus did well with Wakaba Girl, and I'm liking that they're now getting their first solo full-length series with this. It's off to a fun, cute start so far.
            Yeah, Nexus has again accepted a challenge to tackle a Hobunsha 4-koma.

I find it interesting that she apparently did shoujo manga for Ribon in the 00s. Neat to hear about her background and how some of it is incorporated here.
            I bought and read the Comic Girls 4-koma manga a few years ago, and yeah, the style of it is shojo-manga-like.

Comment

Chaos' mistake during her helping Tsubasa suggests the difference between the electronic style (Chaos) and the hand-drawn (Tsubasa) style in a comedic way.

Comment

The first kanji of each of the main characters' names suggests each of the main characters' manga genres.

'Moe' of Moeta Kaoruko is 'moe', and it connotes moe 4-koma manga.

'Koi' of Koiduka Koyume is 'love', and it connotes shojo manga.

'Iro' of 'Irokawa Ruki' is 'sexual', and it connotes TL, manga which have sexual scenes and which are aimed at girls.

'Katsu' of Katsuki Tsubasa is 'victory', and it connotes shonen manga.

I have written about the term 'moe 4-koma manga' some times in the Anime on DVD and Fandom Post fora.
                'There is a theory that one of the beginnings of moe 4-koma manga is some editors' having tried to bring 4-koma to younger otacky readers of manga. Moe 4-koma is aimed at the otacky younger portion of people who read manga. The publication of manga in North America was developed in the 80s and 90s (i.e. after Otaku Culture had been developed well in Japan), and it was done under the inspiration of/in conjunction with the spread of anime in North America. So probably the publication/reading of manga in North America tend to be otacky, then, also in the field of 4-koma manga, North American publishers tend to get licences to release moe 4-koma manga.'
                'A Japanese publishing firm which releases many moe 4-koma manga (roughly speaking, new-school 4-koma manga aimed at otaku) is Hobunsha. Hobunsha also publishes "old-school" 4-koma manga. Yen Press has released 10 or so Hobunsha 4-koma titles. Another Japanese company that publishes many 4-koma manga is Ichijinsha. Take Shobo is a publishing firm that releases 4-koma manga in general, and the 'feel' of some of them is near to that of moe 4-koma manga.'
                'As I have said a few times in the AoD fora and the Fandom Post fora, there are two large categories of 4-koma manga, and they are family 4-koma manga (4-koma manga for 'ordinary' people who read manga) and moe 4-koma manga (4-koma manga for otaku). In one of his books which consists of essays on manga, Yonezawa Yoshihiro, who was president of the Comic Market Preparatory Committee, has said the position of Azumanga Daioh is somewhere between manga for 'ordinary' people and manga for otaku. I guess Azumanga Daioh's position is nearer to manga for otaku, to borrow a Michael Snow term, in la Region Centrale, however.'

Comment

Episode 2

Her education starts now.

Kaos just continues to be a ditz as she's overwhelmed by the city during a trip to buy art supplies, as well as buying copies of Tsubasa's manga even though they can get it back at the dorm. And then Kaos begins school in awkward fashion with the introduction and bringing the wrong writing supplies to school. It's all part of the learning process there, but nevertheless she's in a great place having the friendship of girls with the same goals.

So I'll give it another couple more episodes before deciding what to do about this show. It's nothing special, but at least it's a good time to be had.

Comment

Wow the more they talked about how "bad" Kaos' manga was the more I wanted some additional context. The assumption I could make is along the lines of the following.

Kaos along with several other "new mangaka" submitted a sample entry of their manga and that's what the survey is about. However even if that's the case, I would assume there'd be a screening process.

If so then it makes me wonder what was seen in her "manga" that got it put on the survey if the manga is supposed to be that "bad".

Then again I need to remember is that sometimes what a publisher thinks can be good and what readers actually like are not the same thing. That and let's be blunt here, we as consumers are sometimes horrible with our opinions.

Heck sometimes in real life people can find something "fake" more authentic than the real thing. Or alternatively we forget the real thing comes in many forms. Hence the whole High Schooler thing.

Moving on, I do like the result of it. This seems like it will be a fun series over all. Although I do hope there is some forward progress. I don't want the entire series be anything Kaos makes the universe will hate. Yet at the same time she shouldn't be top tier in only 3 episodes. Aka have some balance.

"So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                    Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Episode 3

Back to the drawing board.

While Kaos has great passion, her skills are another thing entirely, and now it shows why she's got a lot to learn with her manuscript being such a mess. She doesn't relate to the characters as her real world experience is quite limited, her drawing skills need work, and above all she's letting in too much outside influence that it ruins whatever she's trying to do. So to help her improve, Koyume strips down for Kaos to draw, but that was met with disapproval. And then Kaos gets sick, but some home comfort was all she needed to get back on her feet again. Kaos sure doesn't have it in her right now, but at least her mind is in the right place.

So I'll give it one more episode before deciding what to do with this show.

Comment

Episode 4

Makeup can make the girl mature.

This episode is all about Ruki as she's so embarrassed about the stuff she draws, and now she's being asked to make a public appearance and hold an autograph session. Of course, that's quite problematic for her seeing that it would be the end of the world to her if the readers learn that Himeko is actually a high school student. So the solution is to doll her up and give her a mature appearance, and it worked like a charm.

So with that, the trial period is over for this show, and I'm still very much on the fence about this show. Anyway, I'll think more about it once I run through the trial periods of other borderline shows.

Comment

Episode 5

Nexus did well with Wakaba Girl, and I'm liking that they're now getting their first solo full-length series with this.
                          Heh, and speaking of Wakaba Girl, I really love that that the girls got a cameo here (in the same swimsuits as from episode 6 of that series), making Kaos jealous as Koyume was trying to find girls to play with. :D

Koyume and Tsubasa stuff is really cute and sweet. It kind of feels a bit more direct than the usual 4koma series girl crushes. Would be neat if they took it in a more unprecedented direction, but I doubt it will be happen. Hoping there will be more of something with them in any case, though. I love how housemother appears at just the right time to provide material for their date to get started. Kaos fumbles the excuse-making part of that quite amusingly.

It's fun to see that all of a sudden both Kaos's editor and homeroom teacher are cosplay comrades. The latter manages to realize the situation and run away rather quickly, though. I am quite interested to see if we get something of her apparently secret hobbies later.

Comment

Episode 6

Fuuru is attracted to the screams of Kaos. Seriously though, I couldn't tell if Fuuru was trying to greet Kaos, scare Kaos, flirt with Kaos are all of the above.

Kaos as pure usual has her moments of being horny for other girls, but one telling moment in the first half was her realizing that Fuuru large breasts. That and her "scream" after being hugged. I had to listen to it a few times and my mind is corrupted.

Also cause for corruption, Koyume being held by Fuuru in such a way that you'd swear that Koyume looked like she was two seconds way from being a mindless love slave zombie.

Second half was nice because it avoided some issues. Ie to make a long story short, the teacher is no longer in the dark. Seriously other shows would not only have kept her n the dark for 80+ episodes, they would have gone out of their way to make an even larger misunderstanding. My point is I'm glad they avoided such frustration.

Plus the result of all this is we can declare that everything goes back to the Matron. What if the Matron is God? Err wait Goddess!

Poor Kaos once more she learns a valuable lesson and gets inspiration, but it's not enough. I think the ultimate issue for Kaos isn't just learning lessons, but bringing enough of that knowledge together.

Side note related to this episode and others, it does feel like the major subject of the show is experience, research, and imagination. In that all three have value, but sometimes depending on the person you need a bit more of one than the others.

That and we have the cool vs cute moment. Any one of us could design a character with a specific intented reaction, but the reaction the viewer will give (be it positive or negative) might be totally different.

This has to be my favorite series of the season. Yes, Kaos being very kaotic (I mean that in some many ways) helps a lot. Seriously, she hits so many err buttons.
                            "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                            Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

This makes me so proud. So adorable, and fun to see the creators react to Crunchyroll's map like that.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X