X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2018] Tokyo Ghoul:re Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    東京喰種トーキョーグール:re

The third season of Tokyo Ghoul. This time, the main characters are CCG enforcers who are tasked with taking out renegade ghouls, and among the enforcers is a half-ghoul like Kaneki.

Airs: Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Studio: Pierrot

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

Two years have passed since the CCG's raid on Anteiku. Although the atmosphere in Tokyo has changed drastically due to the increased influence of the CCG, ghouls continue to pose a problem as they have begun taking caution, especially the terrorist organization Aogiri Tree, who acknowledge the CCG's growing threat to their existence.

The creation of a special team, known as the Quinx Squad, may provide the CCG with the push they need to exterminate Tokyo's unwanted residents. As humans who have undergone surgery in order to make use of the special abilities of ghouls, they participate in operations to eradicate the dangerous creatures. The leader of this group, Haise Sasaki, is a half-ghoul, half-human who has been trained by famed special class investigator, Kishou Arima. However, there's more to this young man than meets the eye, as unknown memories claw at his mind, slowly reminding him of the person he used to be.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Echidna, Re:Zero
    Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Giving ghouls a taste of their own medicine.

Things are quite different this season as the focus shifts from Kaneki's moral divide to something that feels more like a police drama. Still, I'm expecting that to come in due time since Haise is just like Haneki, a half-ghoul with a conflicted heart, but no matter what, he's determined to do the right thing. It certainly is a huge improvement over Root A, but at the same time, I fear that it will get rushed like crazy. In any case, the new characters are pretty interesting, especially Mutsuki who is still trying to earn his stripes as a member of the Quinx squad.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Okay, Kaneki. How did you end up in this boat? This is based on a manga series, right? And Root A was all anime-original, right? So how is this going to work? Even if they pretended Root A never existed, this must require a lot of plot progression that never happened in the anime, right? Hmm...
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 2

Irredeemable? He already has been redeemed.

I had a feeling something was amiss about Haise, and it turns out that he is Kaneki after all trying his damnedest to bury his past and live with his new family of Quinx. Even so, there are some things he just can't forget, like Toka and the coffee served at Anteiku. And then there's Orochi, who is Nishio. So after the fight, sparks fly within the Quinx with the change in leadership, and then they go off to the coffee shop to reconnect with the better parts of Kaneki's past. That was some pretty big stuff that got revealed as Kaneki is trying to move on from his sorry past (especially with the crap he pulled off in the Root A series that isn't in the manga) to live a new life with his new family.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I'm glad we didn't have to wait long to see more familiar faces. Kaneki's relationship with Arima is particularly notable, but I definitely appreciated ending the episode with the reunion with Touka, sporting a lovely new style. I still have no idea how they're going to reconcile this with the changes introduced by Root A, but hopefully they can work it in somehow. It's hard to like Kaneki after a season of his character deteriorating to the most shallow components of Sasuke Uchiha, but I'll take him as Haise over that from what I've seen, and if this is following the manga, I have to imagine his true self is still better-developed than his Root A counterpart. But again, that could just set the series up for mismatched realities. We'll see. I have to imagine they had some plan beyond "You read the manga, right?" It's quite the predicament we're in, but even that disconnect will almost certainly result in a better viewing experience than Root A. I sure as hell hope so, anyway.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 3

Dudes look like a lady.

The next case for the squad is a pretty big one as there's the strong possibility that a really fearsome ghoul is involved, and as such Division 2 could be helping out. So the mission is to go after the ghoul known as Nutcracker, and the guys disguise themselves as ladies. It worked, and now it's onto the auction where something big is about to go down. Pretty amusing to see those guys trying their hardest to be ladylike, but even more so was seeing Saiko being lazy and throwing a tantrum as she would rather sleep and play her games rather than do her job and had to be carried out of bed. Pretty good way to set things up for what comes next at the auction.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

More Miyano to add to the Miyanoest season ever. Shu was always the most entertaining character, even if the idea of him being treated as a good guy was at extreme odds with his lifetime of treating human-eating as a pastime. I'm assuming he's going to bounce back to the Shu we know and love and/or hate once he gets a whiff of the real Kaneki again. He'll just have to rip off this "Sasaki" mask that Kaneki is wearing and bring our old boy back. But like... season 1 Kaneki, not Root A Kaneki, please.

It was such a tease to end the previous episode with the Touka reunion and then not touch upon that in this episode whatsoever.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 4

There are some things money can't buy.

It's off to the auction where people are being sold, and Toru is up for sale fetching a high price for being a half-ghoul by Big Madam. And then it's utter chaos as Juzo arrives to fire the first shot leading to an all-out war with the Doves on the attack. It was so big that even Aogiri Tree got involved as well. That was quite a chaotic turn of events, and that one guy should know better than to believe what a clown says. In the meantime, things are looking pretty bad for Toru after taking that hit.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Shu's wacky German Kobayashi cohort is almost as entertaining as him. A good substitute while Shu is down in the dumps due to lack of delicious half-ghouls to sniff. Toru sure is popular. Everyone wants a piece of him/her.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 5

The threat has been upgraded.

And the chaos continues as there's a lot of fighting going on, all while the Nutcracker finally shows herself and she proves to be so dangers that she was upgraded to an S threat. Things are looking pretty bad for the investiagors as these ghouls aren't using ordinary kabunes. They have set up traps, and that's what is giving everybody a hard time. Things are getting quite bad there that Mutsuki had to be evacuated with Urie assisting him, all while Sasaki is up against a threat that's at least an SS-ranked threat. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Looks like maybe some hints of old Kaneki coming out? That will definitely be a major event, and hopefully one that will bring plenty of the original cast back, since we've only gotten brief cameos at best for most of them.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 6

Forever Kaneki.

The operation at the auction house concludes as Shirazu lands the final blow on the Nutcracker after a well laid-out trap, then Juzo shows his mother just how much he despises her, all while Urie is getting his ass kicked protecting Toru, and Sasaki is getting beaten to a pulp by Takizawa. Just when things were getting pretty desperate for Sasaki, in comes Hinami to the rescue. Hinami sure has grown a great deal during the time skip as previously, she was this cute little girl who was only there for emotional support in her imouto role. Now, she's a capable fighter herself and while she's with Aogiri Tree, she's still protective of Sasaki even though he's not the Kaneki she once remembered. That was quite a chaotic way to end this operation and while they took out the targets, it came at a great cost.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

Love the choice to bring back "unravel" when Kaneki finally returns from his cage within Sasaki. Well, we'll see how exactly what state he's in after this point. It's nice to get a little closer to that and to have Hina join the fight and show how competent she's become as she's gotten a little older.

Urie has some issues. If he was trying to play the cool arrogant type, he may have killed his chances with his total insane breakdown. Maybe someday he'll have some qualities to make him sympathetic? He's not doing so great at being likable these days.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 7

This calls for a celebration.

After everything that happened at the auction house, everybody gets promoted, while Sasaki takes custody of Hinami as she's not doing too well. So to celebrate the promotions, everybody gathers at the house for a special dinner with Akira and Arima also there. And after that, Sasaki goes wandering around and slowly picking up his lost memories as Kaneki, first by seeing Toka, and then seeing that the place Anteiku used to be has been torn down. This is pretty much a transition episode as it was pretty chaotic the last time around, but everybody made it out and got promoted for their exploits. Next up, they will be dealing with Shu as he's up to no good.

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Hmm... who could this "Kaneki" character be?

This glacially protracted discovery that Sasaki is Kaneki when everyone watching it has known it all along is getting a little old, so I'm still really hoping we suddenly just dive straight into it. Sending him Kaneki's old shit is definitely a good push in that direction, but it's seemed like we were getting somewhere before, to little avail. Seeing Touka smile for a few seconds every few episodes is better than nothing, but I'd like a little more before too much longer.

We've had teases of Shu before, but perhaps this time we'll finally get him back in the main story? I still think he could be a great motivator to remembering the past, in a chaotically fun fashion that fits his character. He even has a companion that seems like potentially a lot of fun for him to play off of now.

I don't hate hanging out with the Quinx Squad, though, and it's nice to see Akira and Arima honorarily inducted into their little family, so to speak. The ED even gets an update to represent that. I wonder if Urie will ever really change. He sure is an eternal teenager.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...