Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 8

These roses are nothing but thorns.

Shu is totally losing it there, all while there's a lot of disagreement within Aogiri over whether or not they should take Hinami back. While that's going on, Sasaki continues doing his soul searching, all while there's a new case to take out the ghouls under the codename Rose. Then there's Kanae, who had to calm down Shu there and is absolutely troubled by what has been going on. A lot of stuff was happening here as this show is trying to cram in as much as it can, and it looks like the first half of this split cour show will end with this case. It will be interesting to see what these other investigators are about seeing that Kijima has that Frankensteined face, while Ihei sure can fight, and Ui is a pretty perceptive guy.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Okay, so we do get some decent Shu/Kanae material this time, but next time promises to be when we get the Shu I've been waiting for. Seeing him in this state has its value, though. Always nice to have yet another character for Miyano to cover such a wide range with in this season.

Kaneki's journey to discovering his past self is definitely progressing, between Hina telling him quite plainly that he is Kaneki and about the things he used to do for her and seeing the origins of his mask. It's still a very slow process, but it's clearly supposed to be a major plot point of this series that will change everything once it's complete, so they can't exactly get to that right off the bat given the different kind of series they're obviously going for in at least this first stretch.

Ihei is a very strong fighter, but I don't necessarily find her that interesting as a character yet. Hopefully that changes as she becomes more important throughout this new arc. Any chance to make Urie jealous over other people his age excelling beyond what he can manage could be entertaining, if obnoxious.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 9

CCG got his tongue.

Shu gets captured here, and Kijima is going far and beyond to get Rose to come out of hiding by not only ripping this gourmet's tongue out, but showing it publicly on video. It definitely isn't appropriate for children, so much as that scene got censored through pixilation. But Kijima will not stop at anything until Kanae is taken down. In the meantime, Sasaki learns that Aogiri Tree and Rose are connected after his squad gets attacked by Aogiri. who have been given the task of wiping out the squad. Whoever took that photo did a poor job because only half of Sasaki showed up and they were not assigned to kill him when they should. The bad blood just keeps on coming.
        Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 9

There we go. That's some prime Shu ridiculousness. Only Miyano can deliver those kinds of lines. Beautiful. And some other stuff going on. Whatever.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 10

The name matters not.

Things took quite a turn for the worse with Shu's family with his father turning himself in, and Kanae about to betray him after Eto tells him that he's not as close to Shu as he thinks he is. While that's happening, Sasaki is starting to remember more about his past as he learns that he killed Akira's father, but even so Akira supports him. And then there's Shirazu's background as he's doing everything for his sister, whose ghoulish self went out of control. Pretty psychological that was, and next time there's going to be quite a lot of bloodshed with the extermination operation commencing.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

Wouldn't have thought the Tsukiyama family would be the source of so much sympathy. It's nice to get some more sides to Shu. Was definitely interesting to see him react to the only prompt he couldn't have expected in a million years: Kaneki specifically asking if he was a ghoul who knew him when he was Kaneki.

Yep, our protagonist is definitely digging deep, and while we've seen a lot of good from Kaneki, most of what he's uncovering is stuff that sickens him to know he did, especially without the full picture. Akira is put in a particularly awkward situation, wanting to support "Sasaki" and even act as something of family to him, but faced with his acknowledgement of being responsible for the deaths of people who were close to her in a similar fashion previously.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 11

All you need is love.

The battle is on, and the investigators are just getting slaughtered. Ihei and Kijima bite the dust when Mairo's upper body that had been chopped managed to launch one last ditch attack on them, while Noro is proving to be quite a tough foe being able to regenerate like that, and Matsumae was wiping the floor clean until Furuta used an underhand tactic to kill her. And then there's Haise dealing with Shu as just when he was about to deliver the finishing blow to his former comrade that he doesn't know was his comrade, Kanae comes in to slice off his arm. And it turns out that Kanae just needed some love as his family was biting the dust one-by-one until only he remained. Pretty brutal how things are turning out. One more episode left before this show goes on break and returns with the second cour this fall.

Comment

Re: Episode 11

Well I can't say they're not getting shit done anymore. Lots of action, death, and climactic explosions of character development from the chaos ensuing around them.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 12 (To be continued in October)

Stop dreaming, start killing.

Sasaki is now fully aware of his true identity as Kaneki, but he doesn't give a damn about that as while he fully embraces his past as Ken Kaneki, he's continuing to live his life as Haise Sasaki moving forward. That means putting a stop to people he was close with as Kaneki in slaying Shu and Eto in a brutal manner. But while they did complete the mission, it came at a great cost as Shirazu bit the dust after going all-out against Noro. Pretty much, the first half ended just like the first season did, except that it finished out the case unlike the first season that had the case resolved in the first episode of Root A. Kaneki accepted his ghoulish half then, and now Sasaki is accepting his shameful past as Kaneki.

So with that, the show goes on break and will continue with the second half this fall. While the execution could have been better, is it a huge improvement over that Root A abomination.

Comment

Re: Episode 12 (To be continued in October)

Well I didn't really like this season, but at least it had a pretty eventful finale to tide us over until the next cour. Sasaki finally reverts fully to Kaneki, or perhaps the fourth iteration of his ever-changing personality just in time for the fourth season. Ironically, Urie essentially switches places with him, becoming a more compassionate person as a result of his closest colleague dying before his eyes. Now Kaneki is coldly shooting him down for being too soft. Those two are destined to never see eye to eye for one reason or another. Of course Shu doesn't die that easily, with Kanae/Karren's ultimate purpose being to die in his place.

This is definitely well below the first season but above Root A in terms of quality. After an entire season of frustration with Kaneki's amnesia plot, I'm relived to see that resolved and excited to see what develops of it with Arima and the rest of CCG, but I do have some fear that he's just going to be Root A Kaneki again, which is the worst outcome. As long as he does more interesting things and has more interesting thoughts than he did then, it will probably be okay. He must be a new Kaneki, because his hair changed again. It may be black like it was originally, but it still has some of Sasaki's curliness.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 13

A war is about to break out.

It's great to be back with this show, and I totally approve of the choices of theme songs here as the opening is done by the same guy who did the first opening, while the ending is done by the guy who did the opening to Root A, and his style definitely works much better as an ending than an opening.

So pretty much it's all setup for a big battle in Rushima, and it turns out that Eto survived after she appeared to be killed off in the last episode before the break. While that is going on, Hinami is facing execution, and Kaneki is determined to rescue her. And then there's Rize as it's good that she's still relevant after seemingly being forgotten ever since she was killed off. This was setup for big things to go down, and it will be interesting to see which direction things go.

Comment

Episode 14

Kill or he'll kill himself.

And Kaneki saves Hinami, but now everybody is up against some formidable foes. Kaneki is fighting Arima, while Hinami is fighting Nimura as things get really chaotic. Hinami had such a tough time against Nimura as I can just not figure out what's going through that guy's mind besides the fact that he somehow took Rize's powers for himself. And then there's the fight between Kaneki and Arima as while Arima had his way against Ayato, that poor guy didn't stand a chance against Kaneki. Rather than being spared as Kaneki refuses to kill him, Arima takes the samurai's way to the grave instead. There were lots of mind games going on here, and that is what Tokyo Ghoul has been all about.

Comment

Episode 15

Who will win this game?

While Kaneki is hard at work saving Hinami and meeting up with his old pals at Aogiri, there are lots of other battles going on, and it was so disjointed that I'm not even sure if this show is even trying to craft a meaningful story any more. Nevertheless, it is still great to see Juzo up to his insanity while fighting Kuro, while Amon returns as a half-ghoul and Naki is so menacing. Not to mention, the rest of Kaneki's squad is back in action. Even so, I'm having quite a hard time making sense of everything that just happened.

Comment

Episode 16

Life is short.

And a stunning truth about half-ghouls is revealed by Arima as their natural lifespans are much shorter than a regular human's, so Kaneki better make use of what life he has left. That was quite a big bombshell dropped there as more characters bite the dust, which includes Akira as she was slain by Takizawa, who she competed with for the top grades at school. Things just continue to be brutal here, and while it has a better impact than anything in Root A will ever be, unfortunately this cour has screwed up the storytelling aspect as it's lots of action, and the storytelling just isn't connecting. Anyway, now that Kaneki knows the truth about a half-ghoul's lifespan, as well as the fact that there are ghouls working for the CCG, and that Kaneki killed Arima at his request hoping that things will change for the better because of it, things are about to get interesting.

Comment

Episode 17

Together, they'll eliminate hate.

After this season has been almost all action and no story, this episode is a nice change of pace as it focuses on building characters and bonds. Kaneki is out to put an end to all the misplaced hatred between humans and ghouls, and thus he forms Goat. And then there's Akira, who survived the last battle after Takizawa messed her up pretty good, Touka, and Hinami all forming a friendship connected by the loss of their parents because of this conflict going to show that they are ready to set aside their differences. While the second cour definitely stumbled out of the gates, this episode got back to what made this show so great, and hopefully things change for the better moving forward as this episode is a huge improvement over everything that has happened so far this season.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X