X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2018] Gundam Build Divers Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ガンダムビルドダイバーズ

The latest Gundam show, and this time the story is set in a VR MMO game where the Gundams battle all happen in cyberspace.

Airs: Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Studio: Sunrise

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Gunpla Battle Nexus Online (GBN) is a new network game that lets people enjoy a variety of missions using Gunpla in a virtual cyberspace dimension. Middle-school students Riku Mikami and Yukio Hidaka recruit their classmate Momoka Yashiro and dive together into this vast world. Becoming "Divers," or inhabitants of GBN, they meet a mysterious girl named Sarah who has an amazing sensitivity to Gunpla. They begin playing alongside her, but... Through many encounters and experiences, Riku and his friends will build not only Gunpla, but their own adventures as well!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these two easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please indicate in the first line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please quote that post (or a relevant reply to that post), or include the episode title in the first line. ("Re: Episode 1") Just make sure the episode is indicated.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
    Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 0

For the love of Gunpla battles...

This is a prologue episode that introduces Kyoya and Rommel as those two duke it out in a huge battle to determine the champion. Except that Rommel isn't the flagman as one of Kyoya's teammate takes out the flagman leading to a win for Team Avalon. Seeing that this is all about one of the teammates that it's good to know a little bit more about him before it gets to the real story about Riku and his adventures in Gunpla.
    Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 1

Will he survive?

While it's part of the Gundam franchise, this is most definitely a kids show made to sell models and video games and things play out just like a kids show does. Riku sure is a typical kids show protagonist as he's all willpower and enthusiasm, while greatly lacking in skill, which is to be expected out of somebody who is just getting started. So in his tutorial mission, Riku and Yuki have trouble, and hearing an SOS call, they pick up a cute girl lost in the mountains, and then get lured in by a fake SOS call by a rookie wrecker where it turns out that girl actually some hidden powers to turn the tables. Pretty solid start given its show's roots and everything, but then again it's a kids show.

So with that, I'll keep going for the time being before making a decision on this show.

Comment

Episode 2

Trans-Am is not for beginners.

So that girl is Sarah as Riku and Yukki become friends with this cute girl, and the training continues. Then Hellfire Ogre strikes with Riku going Trans-Am despite being warned not to use it. And he sees why he shouldn't as he can't control it. Had Sarah not intervened, he would have gone berserk That played out like a typical kids show is there once again as Riku just couldn't let things stand the way they are, and of course he got himself into trouble to that end.

So the trial continues for at least one more week, and given how stacked this season that its chances of making the cut isn't looking too promising seeing that it looks like this show will be a long series (or at the very least a two-cour series).

Comment

Episode 3

Meet your idol.

It's not exactly the same kind of person, but the masked guy has appeared. And he's none other than Riku's idol Kyoya as he went undercover on a beginner's mission. Something has been going on where tough monsters appear in an area meant for beginners, and Kyoya is part of the investigation task force. And he saves the day just when Sarah was in the line of fire. Pretty solid episode there as it sets up the stage for things to come, all while Momoka gets involved in the game.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode. It doesn't like like I'll keep it, but I'm not quite ready to call if off just yet.

Comment

Episode 4

Stick to thy own style.

Momoka is now in the game, but she just doesn't have a handle on piloting a Gunpla. Riku and Yukki aren't exactly much better at it, either. So it's off to see Tigerwolf for some training, but later they find out that this kind of training wasn't for them, and the takeaway lesson from this is to stick with the style that best suits them seeing that only Tigerwolf can fight this way, and fully mastering their own style beats half-mastering his even if it is quite a sight to behold.

So with that, the trial period is over, and while I might revisit this show later, for now I'm going to dive out of it as I have way too many shows to watch this season.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine
            Working...
            X