X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2017] Grimoire of Zero Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ゼロから始める魔法の書

A show about a witch and a mercenary in the form of a half-man, half-tiger travelling together to find a magical book that is quite destructive and must not fall into the wrong hands. Not at all related to Re:Zero despite the similar titles and the same studio.

Airs: Monday, April 10

Studio: White Fox

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

Zero is a witch who is ignorant of the world and travels with a half-beast half-human mercenary who longs to be human. Witches who practice sorcery exist in the world, however, in this era no one knows how about the art and study of witchcraft. Zero is going on a journey to search for a magical tome called the Grimoire of Zero that hides a power that can destroy the world. The mercenary travels with her as her guard.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 04-10-2017, 12:55 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Crying over spilled soup.

So it begins with that half-tiger mercenary known only as Mercernary running into a witch known only as Zero, and the two become traveling partners despite the fact that the mercenary absolutely loathes witches. And this all got started when the mercenary accidentally spoiled Zero's meal when he was chased by Albus, who is just a little boy. So together, Zero is looking for some book that she wrote, all while the mercenary is looking to find a way to become human. Pretty nice way to start things off as those two are hitting it up pretty quickly, all while it will be interesting to see what exactly is the deal with Albus.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So we're really just calling this guy Mercenary, huh? Well I guess he turned out to not be the main character as much as Zero is. It's a decent enough high fantasy tale for now. Hopefully it has some original ideas up its sleeve.

It is really bizarre that White Fox's Spring shows this year and last are light novel adaptations with almost the exact same (Japanese) title but no connection otherwise. With its English title and some qualities of the protagonist and character relationships, it makes me think more of Familiar of Zero.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Zero is awesome and the ED is really cute (reminds me of the Flip Flappers ED).
        Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 2

Don't blame witches for everything.

Those villagers sure have a strong hatred for witches to the point that they even burned one that actually helped quell a plague thinking that she's the cause of it. What they don't realize is that there was one living among them all this time, and she knew Sorena very well and was just horrified by what they did. It all started when Albus finds a ring belonging to the old lady, but the villagers immediately accuse them of stealing it and as such, they are hunted until the old lady comes to the rescue. She goes to show that it is possible for witches to coexist, but there are people who aren't willing to warm up to them, and as such this is a messed up world they live in.

So it looks like this show is a keeper, but I won't say just yet seeing how crowded this season is getting.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Zero's statement that killing a village for one death is just like killing all witches is exactly on point. I'm liking this main group.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Human or witch, a slave is a slave.

That was some nice thinking there for Zero and Albus to be thought of as the Mercenary's "sex slaves" so that those two could get into town for free, and it helps that Albus can pass off as a girl as well. But nevertheless, it goes to show just how broken this world is, especially when that wolf guy is keeping three normal girls as slaves. Mercenary showed that wolf guy a lesson that he's got quite a lot to learn when it comes to fighting beastfallen. Zero finally has some new clothes, though it wasn't easy picking them out when she doesn't understand modesty.

So with that, I can call this show in. So far, it has been very good, and the story is holding up very nicely.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

"How do I look?" "Good enough to sell some figures."

I'm sure there's a larger plot that would really interest me looming on the horizon, but I wish we'd get some more indication that it was coming before long. I'm still with it for now, but I'm slipping a little.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 3

I love Zero's new outfit. Not only is it cute, but it looks durable and allows her to move freely in combat. The "duel" between the Mercenary and the wolf dude was less than inspiring, but the outcome was pretty much expected.

So after three episodes I'm all in on this show. I like the characters and the story is pretty interesting despite the slow pace.
                  Currently Watching | MAL Profile
                  Let's make anime great again!

Comment

Episode 4

It's all about the journey.

For the most part, that's a pretty chill episode where the three are learning about each other, as well as how to be self-sufficient, such as learning what to use when buying stuff (with coins and not with that extremely valuable jewel that Zero tried to pay with for something like food from a stall) and how to fish. Pretty much, Albus shares everybody's thoughts because of his upbringing as his parents were murdered during a witch hunt, all while Zero never met her's. And then they arrive at Latette where they are in for quite a shock with everybody being burned to a crisp. Pretty nice to see everybody getting along, but now things are about to take a huge turn as somebody is up to no good.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

This show is always less eventful than I think it will be. If it finally gets to some greater plot focus shortly, that will be the test to see which direction it goes with the change.

It was clear once Zero's ignorance about kissing was brought up that she'd want to try it out on Mercenary, but at least they don't go very far into that territory. Just a silly little gag to embarrass Mercenary.

And of course everyone's parents are dead. Or... unknown.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

Fight fire with fire.

So the one responsible for this mess is the sorcerer 13, and he was hired by the king to carry out the witch hunt, something the townspeople totally disapprove of. They tried to revolt, but 13 was just too strong for them. So after searching for clues and talking to a dying man to figure out 13's identity, Zero confronts 13 and they have a fight, one that could put everybody in danger if the battle continues as the Mercenary is trying to stop her. That 13 guy is evil, and he made quite a big mess of things, though the king is responsible for starting this mess. It will be interesting to see how Mercenary stops this fight seeing that next time they will have a serious conversation.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

There we go. Now we're into the main plot, with the main antagonist we've been waiting for since the beginning of the series. Complete with that iconic Koyasu voice (happy fiftieth!). I don't know that I'm especially more into it now, but not less so either. The lousy production values definitely don't help sell any of these scenes that are supposed to be more important. Clearly not White Fox's finest.

Of greater interest is certainly Mercenary's trauma that Thirteen's forced summoning draws out. He has some serious demons, but has also committed some sins that can't easily be forgiven. It's amazing that he's been so composed in the time we've known him. There's surely plenty more story to tell. I imagine the fight with Thirteen will bring out more of Zero's past, since she is the actual protagonist and all. So far she has fulfilled that role well enough, though, so I'm not too worried about her being forgotten or anything.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 6

Who's using whom?

The fight ends quickly due to battling on empty stomachs. So this is pretty much info dumping as 13 wants to be sure that the Grimoire of Zero is not used for evil purposes and he's willing to kill witches to that end, all while Zero wants witches and humans to get along, which makes them enemies. And 13 lets the mercenary know that Zero has been manipulating him all this time and that he wants him to cut ties with Zero with that magic potion that turns him back into a human seeing that this is the reason he protects her. So now that Zero has fired the mercenary that it will be interesting to see what's next now that he knows more about what's going on.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

So the battle stops abruptly when Zero and Thirteen decide they need to eat, and then Thirteen seems to be a friend from then on. Everyone says enough to turn everyone else against them and Thirteen manipulates Mercenary into turning on Zero in the most transparent villain way possible. Now the team's all broken up and mad for no good reason. Meh. Not the kind of development I was hoping for, especially for a mid-cour twist.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...