Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 7

Not mutually parting ways.

It turns out that Zero and the mercenary parted ways as so that 13 could easily take down Zero as part of his duties as a Sorcerer of the State. That was quite a dirty trick there filling their heads up like that and then backstab when the time is right. Seeing the mercenary in his current state is just depressing, and he nearly ate one of those witches who attacked him when his beast instincts were about to take over. Of course, Zero realized that this was all just a scheme. Then the wolf guy comes back and knows something about Sorena's granddaughter, so next time it will be about finding out who she is. That was pretty depressing to see go down.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Blah, the team being split up and Mercenary being all mad all the time does not make for an enjoyable experience.

My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 8

Save the granddaughter.

So Albus is really a girl and it's no wonder why she thinks so highly of Sorena being the granddaughter of the witch who was wrongly burned at stake for the plague that was actually caused by 13. Holdem used to be a prince who often flirted with ladies until he was kicked out of the family and he asked Sorena to became a wolf in order to hide his identity. Then when she was burned, he was entrusted with Albus, who had gotten away. So with Albus about to be burned at stake, Holdem and the mercenary rescue them and had to shake off pursuers, and doing so by falling off a cliff. Quite a lot was revealed here while the escape is thrilling, all while 13 has become a bigger bastard than I could have ever imagined.
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Oh hey, Albus is back to being a girl. I guess. The subtitles got a little awkward as they were talking about "him" being Sorena's "granddaughter" in the same sentence, different characters referring to Albus as different genders, and even Holdem switching from female to male at some point.

Are we really still calling Zero the main character? She's hardly in this show anymore, while Mercenary has pretty much always been the only constant protagonist and point of view character. In this episode, it's everyone but Zero in high quantity, with Holdem becoming a new member of the main cast while Zero only makes the briefest of cameos.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 9

Magic, begone.

So what Albus was trying to hide by going trap is her Mooncaller's blood, and the plan of attack to fulfill Zero's wish is to erase magic from Wenias. But before their plan can be put into place, they must get away from those goons, rescue Zero, and carve five of those magical seals, which isn't going to be easy. That shopkeeper is quite the pervert there treasuring Zero's ragged cloak as if his life depended on it, but it was the only thing that could be used to locate her. And then as the mercenary is climbing the tower to rescue Zero, Albus and Holdem run into trouble with the Sorcerers of Zero capturing them, though they are old acquaintances of Albus who are going to give them a fair trial to prove that they are not traitors. That was some nice chemistry building up between Albus and Holdem. Next time, 13 is going to spill the beans about what he has been up to.

Comment

Episode 10

Everything's going according to his plan.

Zero and the mercenary are reunited at last, but of course it was all a trap set by 13 to take out his greatest obstacle in his master plan. There the truth is revealed in that 13 is the one known as "Him" and set everything into motion by using the grimoire that he had in his possession this whole time to spread magic, and then have those witches go rogue. While he was responsible for this whole mess, the one thing he wasn't was the plague that was mistakenly believed to be Sorena's doing. And while that's going on, Albus can't get the truth across and Holdem is to be executed, but the executioner lets him go so that he could help Albus with her plan all while those guys are going after 13 himself on orders from "Him" not realizing that they are the same person. Lots of bombshells were dropped here, but one thing that was pretty obvious was that 13 was behind this whole mess.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

What, Thirteen is the main villain behind everything? No way!

When the big payoff is an exposition dump full of reveals that aren't particularly surprising in any way, it's hard to feel like it was all worth it. It's right on the line now; it would probably be silly to only skip the finale, but depending on how the next episode goes, I can't be sure.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 11

Some things can't be learned from a book.

That was quite a ruse that Zero pulled on 13 intentionally putting errors inside the grimoire as protection in case the book fell into the wrong hands. So with that, and the fact that Zero doesn't want that kingdom that 13 was doing all this for that pretty much he will just go along and fix the mess he made as everything he has been doing was all for Zero's sake. But while that's happening, there still are the witches that are out to kill him, as well as Albus for being a perceived traitor, and that can only be done by sealing the magic in the land. Albus finally learns the truth that 13 and Him are the same person, as well as the plague being started by accident due to an experiment gone wrong. Well, that was put together rather shoddily to build up all this drama only to find out that the book was totally useless. One more episode left to go as everybody has their work cut out in order to seal the world's magic and to stop the war once and for all.

Comment

Re: Episode 11

And just like that, Thirteen is a good guy. Again. But this time for real. Probably. And he's repenting! Poor guy! Eh... yeah, not working for me. No real desire to see this through for the ending. I may end up checking it out at some point just because it's only one more episode, but I won't be watching it when it airs.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

Let's do magic, the right way.

That was quite convenient to have five people taking care of business on the five points of the star. So after that, the magic is sealed, but not after an awkward exchange between Zero and Mercenary. And then 13 is executed, well at least it looked that way as it was necessary to get everybody to unite for the greater good but it was just an act as there was a trapdoor so that he could escape. Mercenary is still a tiger, but he wants to stay that way for awhile as Zero continues to travel with him. In the end, it did what it had to do to finish this up and while it wasn't bad, it could have certainly been better had it done a better job with the buildup.

Overall, this show started out strong doing a great job in introducing the characters and adding all sorts of intrigue to the show. But unfortunately the storywriting just didn't stay up to snuff throughout the series as towards the end, the show becomes very predictable and mainly uninspiring. That said, the action and adventure aspects are nicely done, all while the show had a promising story. In the end, it was still worthwhile to watch this because of the characters, but it is definitely not in elite company.

MAL Rating: ​​​​​​​

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X