X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2017] The Very Lovely Tyrant of Love Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    恋愛暴君

A show set up just like Death Note, except that those whose names get written in this notebook fall in love rather than die. As such, crazy things are going on around school thanks to some tyrant dictating who loves whom.

Airs: Thursday, April 6

Studio: EMT Squared

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

A Kiss Note is a powerful notebook that makes anyone who has their name written together will instantly fall in love if they kiss each other regardless of any circumstances. This magical and very familiar item belongs to an angel named Guri whose job as cupid is to create couples. However, she accidentally writes down Aino Seiji, a regular high school student, and unless he kisses someone, Guri will die. She convinces Seiji to go kiss his crush, Hiyama Akane, the school's popular girl who turns out has even stronger feelings for him, bordering on obsessive and psychotic. Eventually Akane and Seiji come together but not before Guri decides that she likes Seiji as well. What seems awesome to most guys becomes hell for Seiji who just wants a normal relationship with girls.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Echidna, Re:Zero
    Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Take note of love.

That was pretty hilarious, and I like that the show isn't afraid to admit that it's a parody of Death Note, with Guri being the Love Kira and ordering around who falls in love with whom. Seiji and Akane are pretty incompatible, but if that's what the notebook says, then that's what will happen. Yuzu tries to go yuri with Akane, but it happens to also be incest as they are sisters. Pretty hilarious way to start this out.

So with that, I'll continue to watch before making a decision. This show does a nice job with comedy, but the animation is there to remind you why the studio has done nothing but shorts up until now.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Dang, this show moves so quickly and randomly with its comedy revelations. Sometimes maybe a bit too much, but there were certainly moments I found hilarious.

Guri had me fooled. I was totally expecting from her appearance in the the key visual (pointy ears, costume, and all), the title, and the seeming Death Note parody that she was going to be a demon girl. But nah, she's an angel. Just a really weird one with a rotten otaku spin to her romance duties. Another angel who wants to be good for nothing and laze around, but she's got more worrisome consequences to deal with for doing that than Gabriel.

And also get the most sudden, unexpected yandere with Akane. The divine nature of the Kiss Note means she has free reign to get bloodily violent with her love interest. I had a feeling Yuzu had her sights on Akane, but there ended up being something really unexpected to that angle too. The craziness never ends. Looks like we're going to get one more person mixed in with what's already become a love quadrangle.

Comment

I can't think of another manga/anime with a premise that is entirely a very direct parody of a specific other one. It's absolute madness, but it's pretty damn fun. The breakneck absurdity of the humor all the way through can get overwhelming, but it's generally clever enough that it still manages to work. It's a keeper for now. It will be interesting to see just how far a series can truly take a simple yet completely ridiculous Death Note reference.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

This show has got everything. Fujoshi angel, yaoi, yandere, incest yuri, killing, and human faced cat (kill it with FIRE!). I wonder how crazy this show will get.
          Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Well, that was nuts. Ah, that feeling when your secret crush, Akane, is actually a yandere psycho. Who you're fated to marry because your name was actually written in a "Kiss Note" by mistake by a fugoshi cupid, who likes to cosplay as a shinigami. Oh, and you've got the blood sister of your yandere crush whose got the incestuous, yuri, hots for her sister.

And you thought your day was bad: You discover that if you don't kiss someone whose name is connected with you in the "Kiss Note", the annoying shinigami/cupid will die (no great loss for you), but that you'll be a virgin forever. Then you discover your crush is not only a total yandere, but seems to be able to summon Gurkha knives (actual name is kukri or khukuri) at will. Oh, and then you discover that the angel/cupid/cosplaying shinigami calls herself Guri, signed her name in as well, and that you can't die...meaning Akane can stab you as many times as she wants, since both you and Akane are now part-angels. But that also means that if Guri slacks off, she'll be dragged down to fell, and you and Akane's souls will be destroyed. Oh, and the yuri little sister as well, since Guri decided to add her name in as well.

Well, that was a wild and silly start. Totally unabashed parody, and just a constant barrage of jokes and gags. Naturally some miss, but a heckuva a lot landed. This was a fun start, so I look forward to seeing where this goes.
            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

Out to steal your heart.

More crazy stuff is going on here, from Yuzu dressing up in a nurse's outfit to those bank robbers, and the new characters. And of course, Guri is always there to causing trouble with her Kiss Note seeing that her attempt to help Mari was interrupted by those robbers. Once again, it is really funny stuff.

Looking at where it stands on my watchlist, this show is certainly one of the best comedies of the season, so it's in a pretty good to make the watchlist at the moment, but like with other shows I'll need to evaluate everything else before making a decision.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Plots like this really kill my enthusiasm for the hilarious insanity that the first episode teased. Now it's all pretty straightforward and didn't really have me laughing at all. Doesn't inspire me to watch any more.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                  Plots like this really kill my enthusiasm for the hilarious insanity that the first episode teased. Now it's all pretty straightforward and didn't really have me laughing at all. Doesn't inspire me to watch any more.
                  Not that bad for me, but I echo your sentiments. Not as good as the first episode. It had some decent things about it, but it was average for the most part. Then I discovered what was wrong: Too much of an Akane absence. This show just isn't the same without the wild yandere girl going berserk. Show immediately shot up when she arrived during the robbery. So, we'll see how it goes from here on out.
                  My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                  1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                  2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                  3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 3

Love is on fire.

Here comes Akua, and Seiji's sister is caught in this craziness with Guri coming straight out of the bath and making jokes about the censorship. And then Guri's Kiss Note gets burned after getting caught in the commotion with a cheating boyfriend leading to all sorts of paranoia. The theory is that all relationships written in the notebook are dissolved, but that's not the case. Once again, there's quite a lot going on and Guri just continues to have her head in the wrong place leading to all sorts of problems.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode. After the extremely funny first episode, the comedy is starting to die down but I still enjoy it. In any case, this show is going the full trial period.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Guri is yet another angel blessed with holy light protection. I love how she plays around with it. I honestly find her doing that sexier than being uncensored.

Akua just seems to be the kind of tsundere imouto that's gotten to be mostly tsun. I wonder what's behind the supposed development (since they were young) of her extreme tsun-ness. Heh, and when Guri hears about Akua's cute side, Seiji gets the feeling that Guri will be up to something (he's gotten to know Guri so well at this point). And I was also wondering what the heck the strange black thing she got saved from was, and then it shows up again in the present day! Yuzu somehow knows that it's a demon and even what its name is. Funny how Guri laughs it off as unreal at first when she's a supernatural being herself. No explanation yet why this strange penguin demon is attracted Akua.

Hah, so it's possible for these love cupids to just quite the job and become a housewife. I love how Tiara is extreme in her gyaru traits and rolls her r's on "rabu". Despite the seeming game changer of the Kiss Note being burned, nothing much has changed. Now it looks like we're finally going to find out about the last person who probably gets in on this divine love connection next episode. She looks pretty crazy too. Wonder what over-the-top antics she will bring.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                        Guri is yet another angel blessed with holy light protection. I love how she plays around with it. I honestly find her doing that sexier than being uncensored.
                        I'm really curious how the physical releases are going to handle this particular scene. If they're really uncensoring it for the disc releases, the dialogue is obviously going to have to change as well. I'm guessing there'll be an extra that involves the edits, if nothing else.

I found the comedy better this episode, probably the best so far; though Guri's expressions (punched-in face; deformed suddenly cutting back to normal) helped with that quite a bit.

Comment

Episode 4

This ain't one big happy family.

It turns out that Yuzu doesn't go to that school as she's there simply to watch over Akane, and also Yuzu has some barrier ability that she unleashed at that guy that caused her to get all washed up. With the Kiss Note no more, Guri gets a smartphone that can determine compatibility, and that produces some interesting matches. And then there's Shikimi that is out to torture Seiji. This is a pretty crazy family there seeing that Yuzu will do anything to feed her incest, all while Akane is always on the attack. And then there's Shikimi, who just enjoys beating the heck out of Seiji knowing that he's immortal.

So with that, the trial period is over, and I'm leaning towards keeping this show as it has the upper hand against its opponent. But at this time I won't definitively make the call.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Love compatibility barometer. Hah, that's exactly the kind of app you would expect to see on a gyaru cupid's phone.

I'm quite curious to get the specifics on what is up with that ojousama family's past (I forget if we've gotten much so far: things go by so quickly in this show). Yuzu's mom's presence in the flashback had me thinking it's one of those cases of a wealthy man having children with different ex-wives and/or mistresses. But then there's the cruel pink-haired girl who's seemingly connected to the family as well, who has yet a different family name and looks like she's going to play as big of a role going forward. Shikimi is so crazy and violent that she's already putting Akane to shame, and after pretending to be the model sweet plain glasses girl. I'm interested in seeing what her deal is.

Comment

Episode 5

Heaven can wait.

And Seiji experiences what death is like after what Shikimi did to him. The one called Kami isn't exactly the most godlike of guys seeing that his wife ran away, and the one called Maoh isn't exactly the most evil of guys out there. So it turns out that Shikimi is Akane's and Yuzu's cousin. Pretty hilarious how all that turned out, as well as the setting of what Heaven is.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X