Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Flat Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 9

Utaha and Eriri choosing to work for Akane is understandable given their motivation to improve and prove their potential, but Akane seems to be overly confident with success if they hop aboard. Seems like as creators, both Utaha and Eriri would probably be better off taking this opportunity, but they don't seem awfully happy about it. Curious if they're even good matches for the content, since their specialties don't really seem to fit what they're being asked of. Though they can always adjust and adapt to this new workload, I'm not sure how far it will benefit them if it ultimately proves more of a headache than what they'd be more content with. Being responsible for such a big title might prove more of a burden than working independently on their own works. It seems like they won't have much creative freedom given what Akane may demand of them. Considering they're following an established franchise's heritage, they'll mostly be limited to adhering to all the conventions/precedents the previous works have set. That alone somewhat limits their creativity, which seemingly contradicts what they're trying to hone. I think Eriri being semi-cautious about tackling such a huge endeavor is believable, but Akane's scare tactics has Eriri rethinking her capabilities and whether she's up to the task. Doubly so with Utaha, since Akane asserts she's useless without Eriri.

Wondering how this will play out...if they really do end up with Akane, it wouldn't surprise me if we see glimpses of Utaha and Eriri slaving away in regret, thinking they probably were better suited to their own circle, growing as a team and establishing their own company from that. Tomoya is definitely traumatized by this revelation, so it'll be interesting to see what he'll propose to get the two to change their minds, if that's what he intends to do. Megumi might also have a bigger influence in trying to get them to return, but I think most of the convincing lies on Tomoya.

The one issue Blessing Software has is with Tomoya being less-than a guiding director. Both Utaha and Eriri were slumping because there was little directive and 'demands' from him, which he agonizingly admits. If he can change to better reflect their needs as creators, they won't need someone like Akane to recognize their efforts. Perhaps Megumi might just take his place, despite the other two reluctant to be working in that kind of relationship.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

That was quite a dramatic ending... Curious to see how this goes.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 10

Handled like a pro.

At first, Eriri was pretty convinced that she wouldn't be able to work for that egomaniac after what she said, but Utaha got her to think about this in another light in that this is an opportunity to take her work to the next level. So after some careful thinking, she's out of a slump and has accepted the offer, though she sees this as a chance to beat Akane rather than working with her. And Utaha goes along seeing that Eriri will need company given how rough it is working with Akane.

So now that those two have quit the circle for greener pastures that Tomoya will need replacements, and he very well might not have to look very far for them as Iori and Izumi have quit Rouge en Rouge. They just wanted to continue doing doujin stuff, and that's not something they are going to accomplish with Akane busy with that game. There's one more episode left, and it's going to be about Tomoya putting together his new doujin team for his circle's next project. Pretty much, those siblings joining Tomoya's circle is the only sensible way to wrap things up here as they are great friends who just want to keep on doing what they love to do.
        MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
        Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
        Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 10

It's great to see how Utaha and Eriri have turned their rivalry from working together into quite the emotional bond. They're is much more time spent on the process of coming to accept Akane's offer than I expected, and it's quite fascinating. It's interesting that their motivation for working for her is to show her up. Eriri's frustration with her comes over how she was the one who was able to get her to draw again, not Tomoya. And Utaha is angry over feeling like a side-note to Eriri in Akane's plans.

Interesting how Iori, on the other hand, is starting to take a different path from Akane. Iori denies that he did it to stick up for Tomoya in their meeting (our fujo-goggled worker is not as present this time, but makes up for it with one close-up shot ), but it does feel like he's gotten to be inspired by the camaraderie of the team that worked on Cherry Blessing. I'm interested to see where he and Izumi are going next too. Am a little curious on Akane's backstory too, when we get to find Utaha's editor actually had an old connection to her.

And so what are we going to do now with Tomoya, seemingly resigned to the fact that he can't count on two of his top talents being on board now? I've been quite curious on where Megumi is going to go next with this, and certainly looks like we're going to get something with her... With only one episode left, it seems we are not looking at any work beginning on Tomoya's next game plan yet this season. Might be stuck yet again hoping for another season at perhaps even more of a frustrating stopping point than last time. I really wish the novels were licensed so I could dig into them and eventually go further regardless of the chances of more anime.

Comment

An episode all about the beautiful respect Utaha and Eriri have earned from each other. They may be playing right into Akane's hands despite wanting to do it to show her how much better they are than she gave them credit for, but their growth as artists and colleagues is more valuable. Unfortunate for Tomoya, of course, but we'll see how Kato can help out. Should be interesting to see how this season ends.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Definitely nice to see both Utaha and Eriri team up for each other's sake. Now that they've committed to collaborating their talents to disprove Akane's insults, it'll be interesting to see how much improvement they'll make as creators. Although Akane might've been a jerk, she seems more of an auteur who demands beauty and advancement in developing the passion/talent of her works, which Utaha's editor implies is the case. Utaha and Eriri using Akane's demoralizing criticisms as motivation to further their career/talents, is likely the best route to take as professionals. And just as appropriately, although depressing, is Tomoya's acceptance to this outcome. He knows he'd be doing a disservice to them if they couldn't improve under his direction. Really though, losing two members of his team is something he's handling pretty well, which might suggest some maturity he has in recognizing what's best for them instead of selfishly relying on their production and nothing else. That takes a lot of mental fortitude and humility, which he's seemingly been better at doing as everything 'wrong' has befallen him.

Very interested to see what Megumi will do this time. Hopefully she encourages Tomoya to stick with his passion, despite running on fumes with little help left. Perhaps as a duo (or even more interesting if Iori and Izumi really join Tomoya, since Iori seemed a bit assertive in wanting Tomoya to never give up, and perhaps even hinting Tomoya is the reason why Izumi can demonstrate her true talents....), they'll end up making something better than Akane's proposal, as far-fetch as that might seem, and that might just rekindle Utaha and Eriri to return to working with a team that could benefit more from their skills and expertise. Very interesting, but sadly we won't see anything as conclusive in anime form; unless another season is on the drawing board...

Comment

Episode 11 (Finale)

Once again, she's the main heroine.

That was a nice way to wrap things up with Megumi bringing Tomoya on a date to the mall to prove her point that even with Utaha and Eriri having left that the circle will continue as long as those two are around, and then for Tomoya to wish Utaha and Eriri the best of luck on their next project and letting them know that Tomoya will buy their next game. Just when things were all well and good, Utaha just had to spoil the mood with that kiss there, and I was LMFAO with everything that followed. And then there's Izumi attending the same school as Tomoya, and Eriri pointing out that Michiru was pretty much an afterthought for this season while she and Utaha are secretly observing Tomoya. Pretty nice way to put a wrap on this season going to show that while everybody has found their place, not everybody is exactly happy about it.

Overall, this show picks up right where the last season left off. However, this season is more about character development as individuals more than comedy and it does a really nice job in building up Eriri and Utaha as characters, while pointing out that Tomoya has flaws that were mostly swept under the rug in the first season. While this show is great at what it set out to do, it also meant Megumi and Michiru were pretty much irrelevant and that was something that didn't exactly sit well. That said, this is sequel is a very worthy follow-up as

MAL Rating:
                MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
                Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
                Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
                The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 11 (Finale)

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post

Very interested to see what Megumi will do this time. Hopefully she encourages Tomoya to stick with his passion, despite running on fumes with little help left. Perhaps as a duo (or even more interesting if Iori and Izumi really join Tomoya, since Iori seemed a bit assertive in wanting Tomoya to never give up, and perhaps even hinting Tomoya is the reason why Izumi can demonstrate her true talents....)
                  Had a feeling it'd end up this way. Very solid ending to a wonderful, entertaining series. Although it might not be conclusive or have definite closure, it's nice having it end on a good note for any possible continuation in the future, which I hope there is since all the characters have a lively dynamic when they're all together. Definitely one of the highlights of this season.

Comment

Ah, the return of Megumi's precious date spot, Rokutenba Mall. When Tomoya's was asking on her reasons for going out with him there, I just knew where it was going to end up on the last point. This time Megumi doesn't want Tomoya running out on her in the middle of it. Heh, we know she'd never forget that, particularly with the classic uncharacteristically peeved expression that Eriri was able to capture out of that. But nah, this date closes very nicely. It's heartwarming to see Tomoya, thinking of the glasses Megumi gave him last time, try to give something to Megumi in return, and that classic hat too. Heh, Tomoya's so self-conscious about it practically being the same hat, but we know Megumi deep down really treasures the fact it came from Tomoya (like how she teases his cluelessness on that fact: same shape, but it's different). And then Megumi reveals one ultimate (and quite successful) objective of her date in inspiring him to push forward and not give up on his dream for the game, as she definitely hasn't either. It really hits there how they call each other by given names. A big emotional turning point with Tomoya letting out what he had pent up in that regard.

It's wonderful how perfectly in sync Utaha and Eriri are with their shocked facial expression when Tomoya suddenly shows up as they're leaving. Heh, though Utaha manages to try and compose herself, Eriri is still cowering back for a little while. Tomoya is not there to try to drag them back, which would just make things difficult and heavy, but instead give the heartfelt encouragement really needed to bring closure for their decision to take on the opportunity presented them. They can looking at it more positive without being bogged down in those feelings of having "betrayed" Tomoya. And dang does Tomoya's actions there have Utaha getting bold with her now-"Unethical"-kun. Eriri had gotten to be rather chill with Utaha for a little while now, but that's something that has her whipping out her twintails to attack.

I had wanted to see the scene more directly, but it was nice to see at the beginning of the episode that Megumi had gone to Eriri directly back when the "betrayal" happened, and it had hit them so emotionally too. I did really hope Eriri had gotten to value her friendship with Megumi, and indeed she did. She was so worried that she'd never be friends again. Of course, Megumi is not going to be like that. I like Eriri gets sweetly reassured there too.

Heh, on their way to school, Tomoya and Megumi try to go as they've become closer on a first-name basis, but that breaks down just as cutely. Those two have an interesting dynamic that even if it hasn't progressed to that point, continues to move in fun ways. And speaking of fun dynamic, there's Eriri and Utaha too, with the later being accosted for showing up at a school she no longer goes to. But then they get to be in sync amusingly once more when they hilariously gang up on Michiru as she appears. I like how we get a bit of a meta humor yet again in the end with how she has been completely absent for most of the latter part of this season. And Izumi definitely looks like she's going to have quite the role to play, challenging Eriri's position in a new way now. I really want some more of this, so here's to hoping we can get it. It's a bit of a surprise we got a sequel to this kind of series on noitaminA in the first place, so I have no particularly high hopes on the chances. But a lot of deserving series have gotten them lately. Maybe this one will too. And as I mentioned before, I want to be able to read the light novels too, dangit! Still a nice spot to end on with the emotional connections really reaching a high all around.

Comment

Such a harem ending. And the effect of Eriri and Utaha leaving is somewhat diminished by the fact that the former is still right there at school everyday and the latter is apparently still hanging out there. So much for her not having any time with all of her responsibilities. The jabs at the phantom member of the team for hardly being in the show were amusing, though. I'll take another season some day.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...