Widgets Magazine

Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Flat Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2017] Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Flat Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    冴えない彼女〈ヒロイン〉の育てかた♭

Tomoya continues to work on his visual novel with Winter Comiket quickly approaching with his team of girls. They completed one route, but now they face an extreme time crunch to get it ready for the big event.

Airs: Thursday, April 13

Studio: A-1 Pictures

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Amazon

Season 1 Thread

Geeky high school student Tomoya Aki meets Megumi Kato one day in spring and becomes consumed with the idea of turning this normal girl into the main heroine of his visual novel game. He forms the development team Blessing Software with friends and they manage to get one route finished. With the upcoming Winter Comiket in two months, will they be able to finish the game in time?!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 0

Here come the swimsuits.

Just like with the first season, there's a special before the main series to get all of the fanservicey fluff out of the way so that the show can focus on the story at hand without feeling the need to add it as a white elephant. Instead of going to the hot springs, this team goes out to the pool at a luxury hotel. I just love that self-deprivation humor at the beginning, which isn't exactly true seeing that it did get a sequel for a reason. Unlike with the first season, the special is web-only.

Anyway, the fanservice only happens in the first half while everybody is at the pool to get some ideas for the swimsuit event inside the game at a luxury hotel. Then after that, everybody has a fun time doing different things, all while Utaha is all alone with Tomoya. But a timely phone call put an end to all that. It's nice to be back with this show as the way the first season ended had me wanting to come back for more. Next time, the show truly begins continuing on where the first season ended with only one route finished.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 0

It's only right to start this off the same way as the first season, with self-aware commentary amidst the most wonderful bits of fanservice. Tomoya doesn't have to be segregated this time, but blindfolds himself to focus on his true priority of conversing about anime. I've seen these swimsuits before in official illustrations, even from the first season anime. I kind of figured ahead of time they would be saving them for where they make the most appropriate impact, another episode 0. Heh, and it's funny how Utaha even brings up anime pin-up illustrations at one point. More meta goodness.

Megumi looks nice, though I like how the kind of swimsuit fanservice we get of her this episode doesn't really betray her character. It felt like there was a little bit of lack of focus for some appropriate stealth appeal. Really nice to see, after the development at the end of last season, Megumi and Eriri calling each other by given names regularly. Eriri can be sharp with Megumi not getting into the character modes she needs, though I do get to feel how those two have gotten closer even in that. Eriri gets the sweetest moment this episode when she reacts to how clearly Tomoya remembers a moment with her in their childhood. I liked to see a positive moment for her as she had gotten to feel like her childhood friend status has withered in value with the previous arcs. Poor Eriri: she was wide open to get poked on that sore spot yet again by Michiru, so that moment didn't last.

So it seems like Utaha's the only one here who really didn't actually plan to get any work on the game. Sexy, sly Utaha is the best. First she tries to go for the CPR scene, but it turns out her biggest ploy to seduce Rinri-kun was yet to come. The other girls are lucky Megumi is there. They would have never realized Utaha had snuck away (Megumi's own stealth abilities appear to counter other's attempts to be sneaky) if she hadn't matter of factly brought up the point.

The scene with Michiru demonstrating her music was very nice, in showing how she really has gotten into this in earnest, the first time we've been able to see it since she was recruited. It had the others a little surprised even. But even though she doesn't understand the otaku stuff, she's really gotten to appreciate (and be inspired by) how good the rest of the team is at their specialties. And Izumi is quite cutely inspired too. Quite looking forward to see where this team will go next when the main episodes start up.

Comment

So sad to see this exclusive to Anime Strike. Of course the second season had to begin like the first, but now that we now the deal, it's a lot more enjoyable. And it's a lot more than fanservice this time, anyway.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Other the blatant shots of breasts and butts, a pretty good episode. All the girls want this guy baddddddd.
          Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
            Sexy, sly Utaha is the best.
            Nevermind the t&a, this already sums up the entire series. Loved how they went straight from the girls wondering where the other two went, to the formal dining scene. :D

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
            Other the blatant shots of breasts and butts, a pretty good episode. All the girls want this guy baddddddd.
            Kato though...no sense in urgency.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
              Nevermind the t&a, this already sums up the entire series. Loved how they went straight from the girls wondering where the other two went, to the formal dining scene. :D
              I love how Utaha flaunts the royalties she makes there, too.

Comment

Episode 1

When Utaha met Eriri...

So the story continues by looking back one year ago when Eriri and Utaha first met as those two aren't exactly on the same page with Utaha wanting to do something that requires too much extra work from Eriri. Those two were even more discordant back then seeing that Eriri was none too pleased that Utaha was getting too close to Tomoya. Not to mention, Eriri was drawing for the sake of revenge rather than making others happy. But all it takes is to show devotion and everything is A-OK.

So where things left off in the first season only one route is complete, but after all that Utaha and Eriri need to rest, all while Tomoya sure has some big plans of his own to promote the game that includes having the girls doing a sketch. That sure was great to see how those two first met seeing that they will need to work together moving forward with Comiket on the horizon.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

The OP sequence is nice. The Eriri part is particularly sweet.

Definitely was quite interested to see how Eriri and Utaha first met, so happy to see this episode take a flashback direction. Cute to see how Eriri had gotten to be a fan of Utako's work all while originally being unaware the girl who was stirring up her jealousy happened to be the same person. Heh, and Utaha later is rather forceful in finding out Eriri's secret (I wonder about Eriri's connection to that nervous art club meganekko who couldn't ward her off with just politeness: wonder if we'll see her again). It's really interesting what they get to seeing in each other, the ups and the downs, though their rivalry always has them to jabbing at each other's character types. Though it feels like there may be more to explore there (I guess it hasn't been shown yet how those two got immediately after the incident that got Utaha calling Tomoya "Rinri-kun"? This seems before that). In any case, it's interesting to see how Utaha's getting to react a bit at the end to seeing the seemingly more pleasant bond Eriri and Megumi have at this point. It's nice to see how even Utaha's cool self eventually melts a bit there.

Comment

Great flashback to kick off the second season proper. A lot of rivalry but mutual respect, which is all very nice to see. And of course it ends with them picking apart all the tropes associated with the archetypes that each fit into. Ah, I'm glad to be back to this show. Now that the characters are established, it's very strong.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

(I guess it hasn't been shown yet how those two got immediately after the incident that got Utaha calling Tomoya "Rinri-kun"? This seems before that).
                      I might be remembering wrong, but I thought this point was brought up in the first series..when Utaha nicknames him that after he refused to do give in to her seduction or something along those lines.

In any case, it's interesting to see how Utaha's getting to react a bit at the end to seeing the seemingly more pleasant bond Eriri and Megumi have at this point. It's nice to see how even Utaha's cool self eventually melts a bit there.
                      Have to admit, that was ones of the best kabedon I've seen (especially with the way Utaha ran up the stairs :D ) And ouch, Megumi continues to be so caustic in her passive aggressiveness.

Comment

Episode 2

Make a choice.

This episode presents some huge decisions here. First, there is Utaha deciding between two colleges to attend as the one in Kansai has a much better program, but she also would like to stay close to home as she has also been accepted to a local college that also has a very good program befitting of her skills. This all comes just after she finished writing the script for the game that has some pretty big changes from the previous draft. Then comes the next question as the new script requires Eriri to do a lot of extra work, all while the tone of the game changes a great deal. So the decision is left up to the director, Tomoya, as he realizes that whatever he chooses to do somebody isn't going to be pleased. That was great to see Tomoya and Utaha getting along so well. But now things are coming to a crossroad and just like in the game, he will have to pick a route. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Fun to see how Utaha reacts to finally finishing her game script, a mix of being worn out and calling Rinri-kun in ecstasy. I like that we get something different of her date with Tomoya this time, though. She's not going out of her way to seduce to him in her usual manner. In between the exhaustion of finally having finished the script and having to go from that to get write back to writing her novels and planning her future, she rather just uses the time to indulge in her hobbies. And she drags Tomoya along with her.

Eriri is used to Utaha's usual, though, so is adamant in tailing them. I love how Megumi never disappoints in how she meets up with Eriri appearing out of focus, and her comeback to Eriri complaining about how long it took her to get there. She has a lot of good comebacks this episode. Dang, do I love that pair.

There's a reason, though, pertaining to that future planning, that Utaha brought Tomoya along and wants to talk to him (always choosing nice classy date spots). Of course he's not going to want her to go to a university far away. She's wanting to get something out of him, and it's a pretty sweet scene when he does say what's on his on his mind. Going to be interesting to see what they do with the revision to the story Utaha presents.

Not long before Eriri and Megumi meet up with Tomoya and discuss the development. Tomoya is so gripped by the new game script that he can't come to answer the door. Eriri looking around for the key and Megumi already having one was as amusing scene. Not surprised, though, that Eriri is not happy about the game choice Utaha is presenting. Besides Utaha being a sticking point in general (love how she's tsundere about having read and admired Utaha's writing in Metronome in Love, though), it will be hard on her job coming up for the artwork of the new, unplanned portion. Even though Megumi doesn't say anything, I do wonder if Eriri's sticking up for her too, in bringing up the reduction of her analogue character Meguri in the story. But while they were doing that, Megumi had happened upon something else... the battle with the Hashima siblings is on! I love how the dramatic posing with them is followed by mundane commentary. I love things like that in this show.

ED sequence is really nice in illustrating all of the most heartwarming moments from the story arcs in the first season.

Comment

God I love these nerds. Tomoya's commentary on the new script reminds me of all the reasons I missed his character. There are plenty of real reasons to care about these relationships on a deeper level, especially with some of the developments we see here, but this show is definitely strongest at comedy. All the little references, playing with all different kinds of tropes, and always a little cleverer than it ever has to be, all with the delivery that really makes it work. It's still cliche harem wish fulfillment at its core, but everything they do around that basic formula makes it all very worth it.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I love how Megumi never disappoints in how she meets up with Eriri appearing out of focus
                              Ah yeah, and I forgot to mention how the Megumi-ness is praised quite wonderfully in show by Eriri: "Your cunning way of low-key stealing the show never ceases to amaze!"

It's nice how after going into that movie just to tail Utaha and Tomoya at first, afterwards all Eriri can talk about is how emotionally invested she got in the movie. She wants to keep on talking about it even as Megumi notes Utaha is leaving. Guess we better hope the subject of the movie never comes up while Utaha is around or the argument is likely to get quite bitter given Utaha's discussion of it with Tomoya.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X