Tsuki ga Kirei Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 9

I would think moving would be a little hard on Akane, but she seemingly takes it in stride (considering what's in front of her) since it's likely a routine for her family. Still upsetting to her, but thankfully she isn't one to throw tantrums and make for melodrama. Found it interesting how most of Akane and Kotarou's chats are practically in the middle of the night though...probably indicative of how busy school/after-school life is for them. If I was still awake at that time even in high school, I'd be a zombie since I had to get up way too early to beat traffic.

Chinatsu still has feelings for Kotarou, and seeing him leave the track meet made her longing even tougher. Interesting to see how she tries to validate her feelings with Hira, who admits he's never really had a chance with Akane. Wondering what Kotarou will do now that his dad encourages him to follow his own path. I'm going to guess he'll want to move closer to Akane, if not in the same city. Can't remember if that publishing office's location was mentioned, but if it's close to (or in) Chiba, I wouldn't doubt Kotarou may consider pursuing a writing career there. Wonder how his parents (though his mom will surely disapprove) will consider that to be an option for him, despite his dad not pressuring him to enter a good school.

Comment

Episode 10

Anywhere she goes, he goes.

It's the day of the festival, and while Kotarou's dance and everything else goes well, it feels bittersweet seeing that the time is coming when Akane's family is moving to Chiba. Akane will be going to Koumei on recommendation, and Kotarou decides to apply for that school through general admissions and hence, attending cram school to make it happen. While Kotarou has made up his mind, next comes the hard part as it's two hours away. It will be interesting to see what happens in the end and the most sensible thing would be for him to live with Akane's family in Chiba. But of course, he will have to convince his parents.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
      Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 10

I could expect some drama from Kotarou incoming after seeing him witness Hira confessing to Akane. There was no wavering on Akane's part as I expected (and Hira presses deep with his self-centered thoughts on the matter), but that was not going to avert Kotarou's show of frustration. And it looks like he gets to regretting it quickly, though he doesn't get back to speaking, even through messaging, right away. I was afraid this was going to continue into more episodes, so I like that Akane does finally getting to taking some initiative when she finds out about Kotarou's Koumei research. And we get a really good moment of reconnection there as they kiss without being interrupted this time.

Though it may be an uphill battle to convince his parents (particularly his mom) about going to a school two hours away. I do wonder, besides his desire to stay with Akane, if he's found something in Koumei that would be good for his writing goals. With the advice he's gotten from Tachibana on the light novel angle, it does seem like there will be more to Kotarou's literary attempts. But his mother hasn't been supportive of that either. Definitely curious where we are going to go with both of those aspects in the final episode.
        Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 06-16-2017, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

Yeah, I had a feeling Kotarou was going to make plans in sticking as close to Akane as he possibly can. Whether or not that comes to fruition is likely up to his parents, ultimately his mom, for sure. Would be amusing to see polar opposites in his parents reactions though...his dad cheering and rooting that he's following his advice and being mature about it, while his mom cries in denial and disappointment her baby boy is off to pursue a career (and a love interest) so far away from home...cliche, but probably nothing different from how some things we've seen developed and play out.

Thought Kotarou's jealousy was a bit strange, if not untimely. For a moment we see he's pretty accepting of the news, and even plans for it, but then he's passive-aggressive in avoiding Akane's queries of why he's upset. Kind of a presumptuous brat making her cry like that; though I guess seeing her with Hira again, might've sent the wrong message, but still, couldn't he have done what he did the first time those two were together? I don't see any issue if he's confident Akane wasn't playing him..Then again, kids...

Wondering if Hira really intended to steal Akane away from Kotarou, or was he really just confessing his feelings be known to Akane to get it finally off his back? It seemed like he would've if Akane didn't respond with her answer. Didn't seem like he was just admitting his loss since he had to question 'why him?'. Dude is setting himself for more grief...

Still wondering how Akane's parents will react to Kotarou following her as well. They'd be just as involved with his business (since eventually Akane, or her sister, will break the news to them) seeing he's basically a stalker in their eyes at the moment. Or I might've forgotten and they already know him?

Comment

Episode 11

You never know until you try.

With Kotarou dead serious about aiming for Koumei that is far away and not exactly for students with his kind of grades, of course his parents are going to fight it. But at the very least it doesn't hurt for him to try, so in the end they let him take the entrance exam despite the fact that his grades are far from being up to snuff. That was nice to see Kotarou and Akane getting together for the holidays seeing that there's no knowing when they'll be able to see each other after graduation. Akane is in, and with one more episode left it's time for Kotarou to see if he's good enough for this school. At least by aiming for such a school that it got Kotarou to take his studies more seriously, which didn't happen previously.
            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 11

Well, there was no way for Kotarou to hold back at that point if he was serious, but waiting until he was in the teacher's meeting for his Koumei plans sure made for an extremely awkward reveal to his mom. I had kind of wondering if he had planned on some other reason besides "my girlfriend is going there" but he obviously hasn't and that kind of aggravates the situation. Kotarou's path from there is just to really double down on his studies and show them only after he finally achieves the results. But he's a bit harsh in brushing off his parents, particularly with his mom who's trying to look out for him. Kotarou doesn't try to make any attempts at convincing his mom further, but I do like that she takes note of how seriously he's going about this. And while Kotarou's Christmas date and gift exchange with Akane is very sweet, I like also how there's a relevant note to getting Kotarou to be more open to his parents. It's nice how the moment where Akane got so emotional over her mom's support comes back here. Even though he couldn't message Akane about his issues with his parents, it's helps that they have gotten to be open enough around each other in person that Kotarou can open up about and hear from her on it. Kotarou probably gets a big boost in his spirits in the end being more open to his parents efforts to support him.

Though it remains to be seen if he's actually going to make it through, with as much as this has been presented as an extremely difficult hurdle for him. After all the effort he's put into this, I'm hoping we get to a positive note on the ending, even if we have the bittersweet one where Kotarou will have to go separate ways from Akane in high school. Akane's sister in her advice seems to be defaulting to the impression that this is not something that will last. I'm hoping for something not too much of a downer, though.

Comment

Seems like the signs (ill-communication with his parents, poor grades, Chinatsu feeling Kotarou's lack of enthusiasm as she cheered him on; missed opportunity with the scarf; Akane's sister's cautious advice;...) point to a dreary end to Kotarou's plans. This is not going to end on a happy note, which is semi-appropriate considering the short amount of time Kotarou and Akane have actually been deeply involved in this relationship. As realistic as it it may be, where Kotarou fails the exam and can't be with Akane, I'd be fine with this unhappy ending (wouldn't be the first 'bad/unhappy' ending that's actually better than the 'happy' ending, I've come across).

One of the major themes of the show focuses on Line communication, notably with the EDs; so it's pretty much implied how Akane and Kotarou will continue messaging each other despite the long distance relationship they'll probably end up having. They might manage visiting each other partways every so often, so it's not exactly a tragic end, though may be more bittersweet, especially how things started to break apart earlier on.

I just hope it doesn't end with some lame time-skip with Akane together with Hira and Chinatsu with Kotarou. That would be a laugh, and almost as cringeworthy as that other show's complete 180 ending.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                  I just hope it doesn't end with some lame time-skip with Akane together with Hira and Chinatsu with Kotarou. That would be a laugh, and almost as cringeworthy as that other show's complete 180 ending.
                  That would be lame beyond all belief. It would also be lacking in credibility. Sure, Chinatsu still is carrying a torch for Kotarou and Hira's feelings having changed...but have we ever actually seen any evidence that Akane was interested in Hira? I don't think so. It was much more that everyone around them thought they would make a natural couple and so they were imposing their idea upon Akane.

A more believable timeskip mught be if Kotarou fails, they have a struggling long-distance relationship, but he absolutely dedicates himself to getting into the same college as Akane and they are reunited there. Heartwarming ending, cue the curtain.

But we'll see.

One thing that does come out of this that feels real, at least, is the behavior of the kids. Kotarou being a dick towards his parents, while it was annoying, was quite believable. He's a 14-year-old kid, of course he's absorbed in his own little world and doesn't understand how his decisions impact others. It was also nice that they did not just put his Mom in the permanent "Nagging Mother" box, but showed that she does love her son and only wants what is best for him. That kind of shallow characterization would have made for blandness all around.

Let's see how this show comes in for a landing.

Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                  Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                  Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                    A more believable timeskip mught be if Kotarou fails, they have a struggling long-distance relationship, but he absolutely dedicates himself to getting into the same college as Akane and they are reunited there. Heartwarming ending, cue the curtain.
                    That would certainly be the most ideal way to end this show. Even though he fails, this experience has helped him take studying more seriously with Akane's family situation being the stimulus. When I think about it, had Akane stayed put then Kotarou wouldn't have any motivation to improve his grades leading to pretty minimal character growth. But this gives him the push he needs to improve his grades in hopes of passing the entrance exam for whatever college Akane plans to attend and that would make for a great ending. And while he has it in him, grades just don't improve overnight, but over the course of three years they can.

Anyway, it's great to see that Kotarou's parents are at least letting him take the exam understanding that the experience is helpful, pass or fail. At the very minimum, it will help him do better in high school.
                    Last edited by Buckeye; 06-23-2017, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

Put that into writing.

There was never any question that Kotarou was going to fail the entrance exam, and it was for the best as he just wouldn't survive at Koumei with his grades and long commute. But he was able to get into the same high school as Chinatsu, and even though they aren't lovers, they are still best friends. So it was suggested that he write that experience online, and it became a hit as he finally has what it takes to be a novelist. That was pretty emotional seeing Akane breaking down in tears during the last time those two met before the move, but nevertheless there was never any doubt that nothing was going to stop this relationship as they become parents. Pretty nice way to end this seeing that everything that has happened actually helped Kotarou's character evolve, while chances are they would have come to a halt had the move not happened.

Overall, this show is how a romance should be done without going overboard with all kinds of fluff. Things could have gone south with the love triangles, but it's a great thing that those were addressed quickly so that the focus would be on Kotarou and Akane and the challenges they face in life. Character growth is tremendous, while I like the amount of realism that was maintained going to show how tough things get in life. And then there's the animation style that suits a show like this very nicely. However, this show isn't perfect as the biggest knock on this show is the fact that it does nothing outside the box, and while that doesn't always sink a show, I would have liked to see some of that happening. The other big problem is that the supporting cast is mostly ignored and I hardly got to know Chinatsu and the others. But in all, this show had an objective, and it does what it set out to do, and did it well.

MAL Rating:
                      Last edited by Buckeye; 07-03-2017, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Re: Episode 12 (Finale)

Not surprising Kotarou didn't make it into Koumei. There was still the question of making it into his second choice, and all that studying probably didn't hurt. And oh, Chinatsu's going there with them. Knew there was going to be something incoming there... Also no surprised that Kotarou turned her down. But that still leave her close to him for a few years. Akane would obviously be quite anxious over that, and Kotarou didn't come out with what happened, leading to some emotional drama and wondering if things were going to continue from there, or if they would break it off in some way.

I had thought of the angle of the experiences inspiring Kotarou to write. Tachibana suggests it, and Kotarou puts it to work through the self-published internet venue. It's interesting how we get things hanging on whether Akane and Kotarou want to move on for each other. Akane looks like she's leaving her potato charm behind at the house. For Kotarou, it's not knowing exactly what he wrote for the end of the story. I like that Kotarou discovers Akane asks what comes next only after he's already written up and posted the ending. And despite her sister's skepticism (I kind of wonder if she made it with the boyfriend she had: their short segments were fun), it looks like this doesn't turn out bittersweet after all: the ending messages and images show that it continues quite happily. This was a nice, sweet romance, for all their ups and downs, ends on a good note of character advancement.

Comment

So it wasn't a bittersweet ending, but rather a sweet one and conclusive at that too. That was nice despite my initial impression it might've been left open-ended, so it was a bit refreshing to see a series actually have a finite ending, unlike the 99.9% of time we need to followup with the source to know its definite closure (if not ongoing).

Was amused with the LINE messaging and while I knew that would be a major theme, I got thinking about it more-- I'm curious how real that would be in the future. Would LINE still be around? Would they be using the same phones? Seriously though, the fact this long distance relationship worked is amazing enough. Not many people have a successful 'first love to marriage relationship' and a distant one at that. I only know one person that actually lived in a relationship like this (from grade school to marriage, only difference is they weren't apart in HS), so this show really brings a smile to me knowing this isn't just an impossibility. Still, for that one successful relationship, I've seen tons of others that just didn't work. In the age of social media, your business is everyone's business, so no privacy, though seeing how Kotarou and Akane were able to maintain their love life despite all the distractions, is a testament to how dedicated they are to each other.

A happy ending for definitely one of the better shows this season.

Comment

I was impressed by the bittersweet ending...until it wasn't one. While there was a lot of realism in this show that made it interesting, the coda at the end just wraps things up much too easily and safely. I'd rather they left it open-ended at the end, with us not knowing whether Kotarou and Akane's relationship would survive the power of distance. This...this was a lazy and simplistic way to end things. "See? They get married, have a kid, and Akane moves back to small city she's from."

Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post

I was impressed by the bittersweet ending...until it wasn't one. While there was a lot of realism in this show that made it interesting, the coda at the end just wraps things up much too easily and safely. I'd rather they left it open-ended at the end, with us not knowing whether Kotarou and Akane's relationship would survive the power of distance. This...this was a lazy and simplistic way to end things. "See? They get married, have a kid, and Akane moves back to small city she's from."

Meh.
                              Ahh, I would've been content with an open ending, but I'm sort of tired of seeing this kinds of stories, notably romantic ones end with some inconclusive ending. Sure it might've been predictable to some extent, but the general sense of how it would end was probably set a long time ago with the way they ended each episode. Had they changed it where Kotarou and Akane were drifting closer together as the seasons changed, to the opposite, where they were drifting apart instead (like reversed); then I would've highly suspected at least a bittersweet ending. At least it didn't end in tragedy, like Kotarou tripping over the traintracks and getting hit; or worse, him actually falling for Chinatsu. Can't taint the children's story with Scum's Wish drama..

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                                At least it didn't end in tragedy, like Kotarou tripping over the traintracks and getting hit; or worse, him actually falling for Chinatsu. Can't taint the children's story with Scum's Wish drama..
                                Heh heh heh.

Though him tripping over the train tracks and dying that way...would have been more comical than tragic.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X